Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

and i do so love skys dramatic order vs chaos. Go chaos :-). think I will watch it again. God I've watched it to the umpteenth time. But every time I stop and admire how Tom simply breezes past Luke. My favourite moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Roux starts.

Bealham marmion and toh on the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

freyners wrote: »
    Roux starts.

Bealham marmion and toh on the bench

And Robbie, he a connacht player until July dammit! :pac:

Interesting that Bealham covering his preferred TH position on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIERNAN! And Quinnie! And Bealham as TH. Now Joe gets it!!!

(hope it won't be a hammering, so that he keeps going that way)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

wp_rathead wrote: »

I'm getting the moving on process started early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Api Pewhairangi has gone back to rugby league. He signed for the London Broncos.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

wp_rathead wrote: »

forward planning with Bealham. RWC2019 and a prop who can play both sides

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Number 137 wrote: »
    Api Pewhairangi has gone back to rugby league. He signed for the London Broncos.

Best of luck to him. He was unfortunate with injury and combined with the fact that Connacht are not shy of talented centres he never really got going.

have we any news on a second row signing. Both Quinn and Ben seem very injury prone. With Ultan involved in the Ireland squad that just leaves Browne and Qualter by my reckoning. Any chance SOB would be up to the task? We really need a new signing sooner rather than later in this area. Will be interesting to see how Quinn does on Saturday. Congrats to both him and Tiernan for being the latest Connacht players to make the Ireland 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

have we any news on a second row signing. Both Quinn and Ben seem very injury prone. With Ultan involved in the Ireland squad that just leaves Browne and Qualter by my reckoning. Any chance SOB would be up to the task? We really need a new signing sooner rather than later in this area. Will be interesting to see how Quinn does on Saturday. Congrats to both him and Tiernan for being the latest Connacht players to make the Ireland 23.

see I backed you up on the leinster forum - even the mod was a leinster fan tut tut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I would think Pat is doing a few deals at home in NZ while he is visiting. Would expect to hear in the next 4 weeks. Anything longer and we will be raiding the academy.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I would think Pat is doing a few deals at home in NZ while he is visiting. Would expect to hear in the next 4 weeks. Anything longer and we will be raiding the academy.

I'd expect to hear sooner than that - he is back in the locality !!!

Fingers toes etc all crossed for a few surprises

still cant get over the fact we won the pro 12 and still have the quality of nepia fox, masterson, connolly all to come back

and cian kelleher & poolman chasing spots

unreal

mareegoo wrote: »

still cant get over the fact we won the pro 12 and still have the quality of nepia fox, masterson, connolly all to come back

unreal

On a side note Eric Elwood & co were touring with the cup the other day in primary schools

the man is a class act - stopping to take photos outside gate etc- very nice fella ; absolute gent

have a class photo of cup with the young uns - has to be framed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Something tells me we may not be seeing any more signings, but if we do I can't see any more than 1 NIQ/NIE being signed as that will put us level with Ulster. Cillian Gallagher in the (sub?)academy is a lump of a lad looking very good in the u20 world cup, still only 18 though.

In fact, great days for Sligo rugby between O'Donnell, Gallagher and Kerins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

see I backed you up on the leinster forum - even the mod was a leinster fan tut tut

Cop yourself on unless you want further warnings for backseat moderation.

unreal

That wasn't a long trip !! Doesn't look great if nothing has been announced unless they are finalising contracts.
    Gallagher is a beast of a young lad and he can play blindside too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Bazzo wrote: »
    Best of luck to him. He was unfortunate with injury and combined with the fact that Connacht are not shy of talented centres he never really got going.

Scored 2 tries in his debut. Sound lad. Hope it works out for him

connachta wrote: »

what are you saying? tiernan will take over from jarrod on 50 minutes. then he starts the final test with matt on his wing, Robbie in the centre and Kieran running the show from 9. finlay will start at loosehead and both ultan and Quinn will be second row. and Connacht will dominate irish rugby for a generation. just you see. you heard it from the horses mouth

what are you saying? tiernan will take over from jarrod on 50 minutes. then he starts the final test with matt on his wing, Robbie in the centre and Kieran running the show from 9. finlay will start at loosehead and both ultan and Quinn will be second row. and Connacht will dominate irish rugby for a generation. just you see. you heard it from the horses mouth
    You forget Heenan and Buckley introduced in November, Aki one year later with Masterson and McCartney, than O'Donnell, Robb, Gallagher, and Kelleher (who already played against Baa-Baas)! At least.

You forget Heenan and Buckley introduced in November, Aki one year later with Masterson and McCartney, than O'Donnell, Robb, Gallagher, and Kelleher (who already played against Baa-Baas)! At least.

and you simply choose to ignore SOB, Nepia and Parata? it will be a whitewash :-). Make that for two generations to come :-)

• Advertisement

and you simply choose to ignore SOB, Nepia and Parata? it will be a whitewash :-). Make that for two generations to come :-)

No, I just omit them in the list to avoid looking condescendant :-)
    Now I understand poor Leinster fans, it's uneasy to have so many good prospects! :-)

If you analyse closely the age/talent profile of the Irish team I'd say

2) McCartney (any current hookers above 35 in 2019)
    8) Masterson/SOB (for 36 y.o Heaslip)
    12) Aki (best Irish centre anyway)
    13) Henshaw (will be back to Connacht before 2019 :D )
    15) TOH (for already declining 33 y.o Rob K)

18) Bealham (already there)
    19) Dillane/Roux (already there)
    20) Heenan/Nepia (in contention with Murphy/VdF)
    21) Marmion (already there)

Have a fairly good chance to make it. Honestly.
    Much harder for other positions. And I'd be more than happy to have 3/4 Connacht players starting and 3/4 on the bench. Parity with other provinces for RWC is possible. Wow

if you look at the irish starting 15 for the weekend its 7 ulster, 5 leinster, 2 Connacht and 1 munster. the balance is already shifting. do I think there should be more Connacht players. Well probably not. while Connacht have turned things on its head this year, its not quite so simple for a test side heading to SA. Am I delighted for matt and tiernan? very much so. Our absolute show players. And crap we forgot niyi in our equation. How can this be? His pace was just delicious to watch.

but I remember being wonderstruck that joe selected bealham when he was always a second option at Connacht. now look at him. got to shake his hand in Edinburgh after the game. My claim to fame :-)

if you look at the irish starting 15 for the weekend its 7 ulster, 5 leinster, 2 Connacht and 1 munster. the balance is already shifting. do I think there should be more Connacht players. Well probably not. while Connacht have turned things on its head this year, its not quite so simple for a test side heading to SA. Am I delighted for matt and tiernan? very much so. Our absolute show players. And crap we forgot niyi in our equation. How can this be? His pace was just delicious to watch.

but I remember being wonderstruck that joe selected bealham when he was always a second option at Connacht. now look at him. got to shake his hand in Edinburgh after the game. My claim to fame :-)

yes nikis pace but what about his defence ?????!!! his defence is now a joy to watch - he realigns in nano seconds. A bit more bulk is all he needs !!!

if he has a season like this next year he will be a shoe in for the world cup

there is a reason he was not picked so soon - we need to wrap him in cotton wool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Are we seriously meant to believe that the above posts are two different people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Are we seriously meant to believe that the above posts are two different people?

I just assume everyone from Connacht is like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Are we seriously meant to believe that you haven't read the charter rules on backseat moderation?

I have heard whispers that there is a go ahead for development in the Sportsground.
    Looks like a deal has been done with the IGB.
    I don't think they are moving but some sort of agreement has been reached.

I have heard whispers that there is a go ahead for development in the Sportsground.
    Looks like a deal has been done with the IGB.
    I don't think they are moving but some sort of agreement has been reached.

Reliable whispers ?
    It's not ideal but if the get the design right it could work.
    I think some sort of moving or retractable stand would have to come into play.

• Advertisement

Reliable whispers ?

Yes. I wouldn't be posting it unless it was.
    It's not ideal but if the get the design right it could work.
    I think some sort of moving or retractable stand would have to come into play.

It's exactly what I would have hoped for. A retractable stand would seem a bit unrealistic. Elevation is what I would be hoping for.

Yes. I wouldn't be posting it unless it was.

It's exactly what I would have hoped for. A retractable stand would seem a bit unrealistic. Elevation is what I would be hoping for.

Main stand probably won't be touched. I wonder will they go with the original seated platform above the Clan that was designed initially for the planning permission ? I was thinking of retractable stands behind the goals. Much smaller area to work with.

Main stand probably won't be touched. I wonder will they go with the original seated platform above the Clan that was designed initially for the planning permission ? I was thinking of retractable stands behind the goals. Much smaller area to work with.

Facts: A deal has been or is close to being done.

My thoughts (absolute speculation)
    Why would they need to do a deal to develop their side?
    Only Clan development ~ 10% chance of happening
    The dogs won't want the bends obscured or covered/interfered with:
    Any work behind the goals ~ 10%
    That leaves the main stand:
    Main Stand only ~ 40%
    Main Stand and Clan ~ 40%

There might be wishful thinking here but it's what makes sense to me.
    Personally I don't think distance from the pitch is an issue, if the could raise the main stand by 3 or 4 ft it's perfectly good for purpose, and this would benefit the dogs as well. The Clan should also be made bigger and lifted slightly in some way.
    If they do that there is no need to be messing around behind the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Wasnt there a question in a survey a while back asking about our views on a seated stand behind the Bohermore end? Wonder is that what they are thinking of.

Any work on the Sportsground is great news by me.
    I dont care which side they do it on. If they can add more permanent, covered, stands/seats, this is good for Connacht.
    I really would like them to do something with the facilities, but getting consistent numbers in the door is my first concern.

It's all quiet over on the Connacht website at the moment. Wish there was an announcement to read
    Anything, new sponsors, new signings, new ground developments, new intern in the office. Anything

I dont care which side they do it on. If they can add more permanent, covered, stands/seats, this is good for Connacht.
    I really would like them to do something with the facilities, but getting consistent numbers in the door is my first concern.

It's all quiet over on the Connacht website at the moment. Wish there was an announcement to read
    Anything, new sponsors, new signings, new ground developments, new intern in the office. Anything
    Will be great to see good improvements in the SG. Good facilities and decent stands with seating are a must. I'm excited to see what will be proposed.

Yes it has been very quiet for a few weeks now but it's expected this time of year. I thought there would be a few more signing announcements by now. Lock and prop are a must if the Nathan White rumour is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Still on the lash I guess :cool:

Pat should come back from the Southern Hemisphere and go to Manchester

Gallagher for Muldowney
    Kerrins for Porter
    O'Donnell for White
    Deegan for Naoupu

Problem solved!

I know it's over-reaction but those U20 are a special generation. 10 years contract now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Another new prop signed...maybe Nathan White is retiring after all
    Connacht Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to announce the recruitment of Irish qualified, tighthead prop Dominic Robertson-McCoy from New Zealand.

The 22-year-old, who has played for the Auckland Blues Development side as well as Northland in the ITM cup, will arrive for pre-season in July and will boost Pat Lam's front row options for the new season.

Robertson-McCoy is Irish qualified through his grandfather who hails from Drumgane, Mowhan, Co Armagh.

Commenting on the new signing, head coach Pat Lam said:
    "I first saw Dominic as he came through the Auckland Schools system and played for the Blues U18 in NZ. He is a young prop who can play on both sides of the scrum and I believe he has huge potential. I know he will continue to thrive and develop in a fulltime professional environment which will be very beneficial for Connacht and Irish Rugby. We're looking forward to getting him over for the pre-season as we build towards the start of a new season in both the PRO12 and European Champions Cup."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

That's good news.

Even better: No line about squad being completed for the upcoming season hopefully means a second row is incoming too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Robertson-McCoy for Ireland!

• Advertisement

Robertson-McCoy for Ireland!

Based on Lams signing record, that will probably happen in short order!

Pat Lam is like your favourite Uncle, always brings back a present from his holidays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I thought it was already announced that White was retiring? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought it was already announced that White was retiring? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Just rumoured, no announcement as yet.

Smart move discovering the grandparents. If the Nathan White rumour is just that we are well stocked in the front row now.

J.P and Saba announced as renewed or not?
    If both are, that's clear..

J.P and Saba announced as renewed or not?
    If both are, that's clear..

JP yes
    Saba no

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Do people think toh will start this sat??

Stan27 wrote: »

I think so yeah. With Henshaw out, don't see Schmidt trusting anyone other than Payne at 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Stan27 wrote: »

He was on media duty today if you want to read much into that.
    I'm inclined to agree with ClanOfLams that Schmidt will want Payne at 13

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement