Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

wouldn't the new lad be more likely to be replacing Rodders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

evil_seed wrote: »
    wouldn't the new lad be more likely to be replacing Rodders?

That was Conor Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

freyners wrote: »
    That was Conor Carey

im not having reservations about carey...up and coming and good season with nottingham

like the other new signing mccoy both of them are hungry and will want to impress from the get go.

a decent pre-season and work on skills ; they will improve in every aspect under lam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

TOH first start Healy fisrt cap. Good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The experience that the Connacht lads are getting will be worth its weight in gold for next season and further. 3 new international caps added to the team. Wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Think TOH could surprise a few people who haven't seen a lot of him. Very intelligent runner and picks a good line usually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Think TOH could surprise a few people who haven't seen a lot of him. Very intelligent runner and picks a good line usually.

Will be hard to replace Payne but I'm sure he'll give it a good go. Hope Healy gets 20/25 minutes off the bench at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Hope they finish their season on another high and get a well earned rest. It's been a long season for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

I've heard Ian Porter won't be signing a pro contract anywhere and is heading back to play AIL with Banbridge. Handy acquisition for them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Champions Cup draw today lads. Where do we want to go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

evil_seed wrote: »
    Champions Cup draw today lads. Where do we want to go?

The missus says somewhere sunny, I say Clermont!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Number 137 wrote: »
    I've heard Ian Porter won't be signing a pro contract anywhere and is heading back to play AIL with Banbridge. Handy acquisition for them!

That's surprising. In the few games I've seen him in he looked easily good enough to get a professional contract somewhere . You'd think that someone like an rfu championship or even lower premiership side would be delighted to pick him up.

Zzippy wrote: »
    The missus says somewhere sunny, I say Clermont!

Montpelier would probably make the nicest holiday, though I can see them being tough opposition next year.

Just don't suggest a nice romantic break in llanelli.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Zebre in Parma, reasonable weather, beautiful Italian food and easy opposition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

NiallBoo wrote: »
    That's surprising. In the few games I've seen him in he looked easily good enough to get a professional contract somewhere . You'd think that someone like an rfu championship or even lower premiership side would be delighted to pick him up.

How much would he be on there? I don't know what his background is, but if he's starting in another field he could well be on more money than pro rugby in the lower tiers.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    How much would he be on there? I don't know what his background is, but if he's starting in another field he could well be on more money than pro rugby in the lower tiers.

Good question. I don't have an answer but I would guess that it would still compare well to a starting salary in an office job - unless he's got something really good lined up.

Besides, you've only got so many years to be a rugby player, you've got the whole rest of your life to do other things.

For anyone not following the grenoble english twitter account have a look. Some nice banter over alys never ending road trip

I'd prefer a minnow in the pool. We've a stated aim of the knockout stages and to do that we will need a either a favourable league schedule or a favourable draw as with our knack of illtimed injuries crisises we need a break

We cannot draw any Irish team and we have to have at least one English and one French team. Is there any other conditions for the draw?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

http://live.epcrugby.com/eng/player1.php

For anyone stuck in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Connacht get Wasp's and Toulouse and Zebre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Great draw! We have a chance of progression now.
    Really looking forward to these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

That is actually not too bad.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

When are fixtures and times released??

Reasonably happy. Wasps is tough but Toulouse are not what they once were. Zebre makes it doable

Assuming that all those who went on tour are unavailable for the 1st game of the league here's the team I'd like to see start.

Buckley
    McCartney
    White
    Marshall
    Brown
    Muldoon
    Heenan
    McKeon (So hard to pick a back row with the available options we have)
    Cooney
    Boshoff
    Kelleher Poolman
    Robb (Really like Robb and would like to see him and Aki get a bit of a partnership going)
    Aki
    Adeolokun
    Leader (Hopefully he'll get back to full fitness and get back to his best level)

Heffernan
    O'Donnell (harsh on Loughney but would like to see O'Donnell get some more game time this year)
    Carey (Don't know much about him or Robertson-McCoy so it was a toss up)
    Qualter
    Fox-Matamua (This spot could easily have gone to SOB or Connolly we have great depth in the back row at the minute)
    Blade
    Ronaldson (Offers a bit more positional cover than Carty)
    Gaffney

No Danie Poolman b.gud?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    No Danie Poolman b.gud?

Knew I was forgetting some back when I was putting the team together.
    I'd swap him in for Kelleher in the starting team and leave Gaffney on the bench as I'd like to see him get some game time

b.gud wrote: »
    Knew I was forgetting some back when I was putting the team together.
    I'd swap him in for Kelleher in the starting team and leave Gaffney on the bench as I'd like to see him get some game time

white is retired ?????? thats awful trying to play him when he's injured....!!!!!!!

mareegoo wrote: »
    white is retired ?????? thats awful trying to play him when he's injured....!!!!!!!

Is that confirmed? Just rumoured AFAIK

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Is that confirmed? Just rumoured AFAIK

AFAIK , it is regrettably true

props for next season:

buckley, mccartney, bealham, loughney, cooney, carey, o donnell, robertson mccoy

any word on saba getting a new contract ?

• Advertisement

Well I guess there's still a new 2nd row to come, and Griffin will be in the balance too, b.gud...

mareegoo wrote: »

I did think about that but since there hasn't been any confirmation I kept him in the team

connachta wrote: »
    Well I guess there's still a new 2nd row to come, and Griffin will be in the balance too, b.gud...

Similar to White I ignored rumours when deciding who I'd play.
    I considered Griffin but I'd love to see Aki and Robb develop a partnership think they have huge potential.

Griffin will be great for the squad when we inevitably pick up some injuries

b.gud wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »

Similar to White I ignored rumours when deciding who I'd play.
    I considered Griffin but I'd love to see Aki and Robb develop a partnership think they have huge potential.

Griffin will be great for the squad when we inevitably pick up some injuries

Perfectly agree about Robb/Aki. But if he can play a bit winger, he'll be 23 ahead of Gaffney/Kelleher for sure..For me the best and most polyvalent 23 would be Parata TBF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Griff is a way better player than Robb......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Griffin is quality, if he can get a bit of luck on the fitness front he's a huge addition. But the above is a bit harsh on Robb who performed really well this season band was never found wanting. Think he can develop further too. Along with Ronaldson (who starts in pole position given his form last season imo) McSharry and Parata, really well stocked in the centre considering just lost the best 13 in the country.

Second row is the only position there would be a bit of depth missing at the moment I think. Hopefully a signing is still to come there. If not will likely need SOB to play a bit there or Romaine to step up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeah I think that comment is harsh. London Irish have a pretty poor centre combination yet Griffin was only involved in 3 of their 22 premiership games. Started 8/22 the season before.

He's good though. Hopefully he kicks on under Pat Lam but it wouldn't surprise me if Robb sees more game-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Robb was super consistent last season too. One of the few glimmers of hope from that Treviso game. A fit Griffin would hopefully be back up to pre-LI form but I'd give happily give Robb the initial nod ahead of Griffin. Ronaldson is probably the likely centre partner for Aki though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah I think that comment is harsh. London Irish have a pretty poor centre combination yet Griffin was only involved in 3 of their 22 premiership games. Started 8/22 the season before.

He's good though. Hopefully he kicks on under Pat Lam but it wouldn't surprise me if Robb sees more game-time.

He struggled with injuries a lot over there too. He was very good before leaving and agree he could kick on further under Lam. Needs a bit of luck on the fitness front though.

• Advertisement

Just seen preseason starts tomorrow. Does anyone know has boshoff arrived or is that post Currie cup

RobbieRuns wrote: »

He really isn't

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Griffin is quality, if he can get a bit of luck on the fitness front he's a huge addition. But the above is a bit harsh on Robb who performed really well this season band was never found wanting. Think he can develop further too. Along with Ronaldson (who starts in pole position given his form last season imo) McSharry and Parata, really well stocked in the centre considering just lost the best 13 in the country.

Second row is the only position there would be a bit of depth missing at the moment I think. Hopefully a signing is still to come there. If not will likely need SOB to play a bit there or Romaine to step up.

Yes hopefully mcsharry can come back good. He is extremely extremely good defensively and runs good lines. Les Kiss will be hovering around to see how he is doing.

I have been championing the praises of romaine - i think romaine is the next big thing. He's a mammoth / tank.....it won't be long until you see his friend dillane and him together pulling the strings in the second row.....lam will unleash him this year me thinks

freyners wrote: »
    Just seen preseason starts tomorrow. Does anyone know has boshoff arrived or is that post Currie cup

At the very least we'll need to wait until the end of super rugby before we see him. There are still a few rounds left in that and I think the Lions are looking like they'll make the play offs

Finn Russell talks about his injury and the support he received from Connacht players and their families

Elverys confirmed as new sponsor on a 3 year deal, new gear will be launched later this month

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/new-major-sponsorship-deal-with-elverys-intersport/#ConnachtNews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Hope Elverys have improved used to be poor at bringing gear and Jersies out in time for the start of seasons.

Shame we're not with BLK anymore. They had some nice stuff

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Hope Elverys have improved used to be poor at bringing gear and Jersies out in time for the start of seasons.

I think elverys are replacing lifestyle rather than blk. Or at least that's the way i read it

AFAIK we're still with BLK, in fact if you look at the right hand solder of the polos in the pic I'm pretty sure that's the BLK logo.

This is just replacing Life Style Sports as the title sponsor

sorry
    LIFE
    STYLE
    SPORTS

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

It's still BLK

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement