Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

wp_rathead wrote: »

Was coming here to say the exact same thing, I'll def be picking one up

CmRTzssUsAAoQDy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

b.gud wrote: »
    Was coming here to say the exact same thing, I'll def be picking one up

CmRTzssUsAAoQDy.jpg

Eoin looks like he put on a bit of beef.

Between this T-shirt and the new polos I'm very excited about this years gear

http://inpho.ie/assignment/wkjE_OkShrj06t6cF6Gc_w..a?ts=cWIRw09XTaSvjSccUXltWw..a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Between this T-shirt and the new polos I'm very excited about this years gear

http://inpho.ie/assignment/wkjE_OkShrj06t6cF6Gc_w..a?ts=cWIRw09XTaSvjSccUXltWw..a

Couldn't disagree more on those Ts. Need to see them in real life obviously but not for me based on those photos

Loving the top griffin has

freyners wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more on those Ts. Need to see them in real life obviously but not for me based on those photos

Loving the top griffin has

It could be the fact that they aren't 85% logo that I'm excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm just loving the fact that our biggest preseason concern is getting rid of
    LIFE
    STYLE
    SPORTS

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Eoin looks like he put on a bit of beef.

Rugby players always look bigger when not surrounded by other rugby players.

I'm just loving the fact that our biggest preseason concern is getting rid of
    LIFE
    STYLE
    SPORTS

:D
    Ha, considering how much space it used I didn't think it looked that bad. I'd take it over the 3/Vodafone logos on the Ireland jerseys.

I'm a little surprised that Elvery's could afford sponsorship for reigning champions. Though I suppose it's good for both of them if Elvery's can really push kit sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Ha, considering how much space it used I didn't think it looked that bad. I'd take it over the 3/Vodafone logos on the Ireland jerseys.

I'm a little surprised that Elvery's could afford sponsorship for reigning champions. Though I suppose it's good for both of them if Elvery's can really push kit sales.

Being champions won't increase our value that much as a team to sponsor it's sales of tickets, merchandise, possible TV exposure etc... as we have the smallest market and audience and average attendance (due to stadium size ) we aren't a big money draw yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Being champions won't increase our value that much as a team to sponsor it's sales of tickets, merchandise, possible TV exposure etc... as we have the smallest market and audience and average attendance (due to stadium size ) we aren't a big money draw yet.

connacht will see a lot more airtime on tv plus much greater print media exposure. Thats huge to a sponsor, especially a retailer.

• Advertisement

Adbrowne wrote: »
    connacht will see a lot more airtime on tv plus much greater print media exposure. Thats huge to a sponsor, especially a retailer.

We are going to be on tg4 lowest viewed rugby platform in the pro 12, we won't be a marquee game for sky or BT. So I don't think our TV exposure will fluctuate that much. The indo do a pull out every week which would be the most well get. Most papers focus on Leinster and Munster as that's where there bigger audiences will be.

I'm not say we won't increase those things but it won't be in a hugely substantive way that would increase the value of jersey sponsorship. IMO

We are going to be on tg4 lowest viewed rugby platform in the pro 12, we won't be a marquee game for sky or BT. So I don't think our TV exposure will fluctuate that much. The indo do a pull out every week which would be the most well get. Most papers focus on Leinster and Munster as that's where there bigger audiences will be.

I'm not say we won't increase those things but it won't be in a hugely substantive way that would increase the value of jersey sponsorship. IMO

Throw in Champion Cup rugby and a greater number of international call ups and it adds up. Connacht had 3-4 big pictures in the Sindo on the day after the pro12 final. How much were the adverts in the paper the same day?

Throw in Champion Cup rugby and a greater number of international call ups and it adds up. Connacht had 3-4 big pictures in the Sindo on the day after the pro12 final. How much were the adverts in the paper the same day?

The independent are a partner with Connacht rugby with a section before every game. Like I said our exposure isn't going to expand that much than what we have in print.

And in Champions cup if Connacht vs anyone is against Munster racing as an example I know who sky will pick or sarries Toulon for that matter. Now hopefully we won't have to go against big money matches like them but they will capture the imagination of sky's marketing team than Connacht zebre.

We're champs for the first time we won't be rolling in money or airtime straight away. That will over time as long as we perform to our ability keep, the sportsground a fortress, attendances stay over 5000 per game and sell out more than just the interpros and Europe

The independent are a partner with Connacht rugby with a section before every game. Like I said our exposure isn't going to expand that much than what we have in print.

And in Champions cup if Connacht vs anyone is against Munster racing as an example I know who sky will pick or sarries Toulon for that matter. Now hopefully we won't have to go against big money matches like them but they will capture the imagination of sky's marketing team than Connacht zebre.

We're champs for the first time we won't be rolling in money or airtime straight away. That will over time as long as we perform to our ability keep, the sportsground a fortress, attendances stay over 5000 per game and sell out more than just the interpros and Europe

You missed my point. The day or two after the pro12 final the newspapers all carried big pictures from the game the day before, all the same size as ads that companies shell out for. Thats what sponsors are after. Media exposure.

Throw in the good news story that connacht have become too. The inter-pro's especially will ramp up interest now, Connacht are no longer the other province when it comes to the those games, they are every big as big as each other now. Connachts profile has risen dramatically so the media exposure through all formats will be much higher so they are a more attractive proposition for sponsors. The sportsground attendance or the province population is a small consideration compared to the overall exposure nationwide.

You missed my point. The day or two after the pro12 final the newspapers all carried big pictures from the game the day before, all the same size as ads that companies shell out for. Thats what sponsors are after. Media exposure.

Throw in the good news story that connacht have become too. The inter-pro's especially will ramp up interest now, Connacht are no longer the other province when it comes to the those games, they are every big as big as each other now. Connachts profile has risen dramatically so the media exposure through all formats will be much higher so they are a more attractive proposition for sponsors. The sportsground attendance or the province population is a small consideration compared to the overall exposure nationwide.

But you are mixing exposure and market reach. Connacht getting more exposure doesn't mean that the sponsors are getting more reach in the target markets they are after.

But you are mixing exposure and market reach. Connacht getting more exposure doesn't mean that the sponsors are getting more reach in the target markets they are after.

well print media, social media, Television, In ground, youtube pretty much covers a wide range of markets. Elverys sell a lot of different stuff for a lot of sports.

well print media, social media, Television, In ground, youtube pretty much covers a wide range of markets. Elverys sell a lot of different stuff for a lot of sports.

And rugby people watch and read about rugby. Just because they are exposed more doesn't mean their market reach had increased. We're going in circles and I understand what you mean I think you are overestimating what one years success can bring.

Mazda went all out with sponsorship when we first got European rugby they have said that they paid too much for what they got.

We're in a slightly better position now but not enough to warrant a huge money deal or think we're more than a well run club with more fans than we think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 my_name_is _me

Similar to White I ignored rumours when deciding who I'd play.
    I considered Griffin but I'd love to see Aki and Robb develop a partnership think they have huge potential.

Griffin will be great for the squad when we inevitably pick up some injuries

If I remember lam had an affinity for aki and ronaldson last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/85799/connacht-a-step-closer-to-getting-new-stadium-in-the-docklands

[font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A multi-purpose municipal arena, of which a new stadium for Connacht Rugby is a key part, has become one of the main objectives of the Galway City Council's Galway City Development Plan 2017 - 2022.[/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]City councillors backed the inclusion of such an arena in the plan at a recent meeting in City Hall. The call to support the porposed facility was put forward by Fianna F il councillors Ollie Crowe and Peter Keane, and stems from a submission to the development plan made by Connacht Rugby.[/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The proposed development will be a "world-class multi-purpose arena where citizens can enjoy an array of recreational activities", located in Galway Docklands.[/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"In a week where Connacht Rugby have been pitted against the best Europe has to offer in next year's European Champions Cup," said Cllr Keane, "it is most appropriate Galway City Council stand four square behind the Connacht Brand at this time."[/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]While the momentum for such a facility has been gathering pace in recent times, Cllr Keane said the challenge is to secure funding for the arena, but that seeking such funding should not "deter our efforts". He said Galway needed to look at the experience and practice in Swansea, Cardiff, Bolton and Melbourne, where "sound financial plans" by local authorities in those cities "created fantastic stadiums".[/font]
    [font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cllr Ollie Crowe said supporting Connacht Rugby's proposal was a "key decision" for council members, and can now help "consolidate Galway's 2020 bid in circumstances where key infrastructural projects are central to the enhanced cultural lifestyle which Galway city has to offer".[/font]

I'm not sure how much influence the Connacht branch have had on this, but it is the completely different to what I heard their plans were.

There is no quote or reference directly to the branch in the article.

Surely if there was to be a municipal stadium the Sportgrounds is the place to have it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"The call to support the porposed facility was put forward by Fianna Fáil councillors Ollie Crowe and Peter Keane, and stems from a submission to the development plan made by Connacht Rugby."

Maybe they applied awhile ago but have since made agreement with IGB

Maybe the long term plan is to have the bigger stadium but for now they plan to increase the capacity of the Sportsground.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Councillors are behind a municipal stadium in the Docks.

A couple of caveats.
    1. Middlesborough's Riverside Stadium
    2. Cllr Peter Keane (a practising solicitor, no less) reckons that we should be following the model of Swansea. That would be the funding model that caught the attention of the European Commission as potential illegal state aid.
    3. Where matters of EU law are concerned, Galway City Council tend to make terrible blunders. The Bypass, for example
    4. Other models to aspire to are Cardiff, Bolton and Melbourne. All of these to my mind were much larger projects or part of much larger projects
    5. Almost guaranteed cost over-runs because Galway City Council
    6. Guaranteed opposition on environmental grounds because it is profitable to do so these days due to the Aarhus Convention

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/85799/connacht-a-step-closer-to-getting-new-stadium-in-the-docklands

[font=Lato, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A multi-purpose municipal arena, of which a new stadium for Connacht Rugby is a key part, has become one of the main objectives of the Galway City Council's Galway City Development Plan 2017 - 2022.[/font]

I'm not sure how much influence the Connacht branch have had on this, but it is the completely different to what I heard their plans were.

There is no quote or reference directly to the branch in the article.

Surely if there was to be a municipal stadium the Sportgrounds is the place to have it.

disagree move with the times please

docks has everything going for it

loads of parking as well access via a number of routes......i could hop on a boat and be in the docks in 15 mins as well lol !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

mareegoo wrote: »
    disagree move with the times please

docks has everything going for it

loads of parking as well access via a number of routes......i could hop on a boat and be in the docks in 15 mins as well lol !!!

But where in the docks does it go? I know there are blans for expansion and land reclamation but that's all years away from happening and at the minute they're not even sure if they'll get planning for the first phase they have planned never mind adding a stadium to the mix.

As for the parking and access??

KBurke85 wrote: »
    But where in the docks does it go? I know there are blans for expansion and land reclamation but that's all years away from happening and at the minute they're not even sure if they'll get planning for the first phase they have planned never mind adding a stadium to the mix.

As for the parking and access??

no theres loads of space as it is at back of docks - loads it could be like giants stadium enough to fit a stadium and multiple car park stories....

if they can pull it off it would be a masterclass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

mareegoo wrote: »
    no theres loads of space as it is at back of docks - loads it could be like giants stadium enough to fit a stadium and multiple car park stories....

if they can pull it off it would be a masterclass

Ah great tell Willie Ruane to get those thick notes out his back pocket for a car park and a stadium to scale of the now defunct Giants stadium. We basically won the lottery when we won the Pro12 it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Boshoff came off at the weekend with a suspected concussion following a 'sickening' head clash.

http://mobi.supersport.com/rugby/currie-cup/news/160702/Tentry_Lions_decimate_Griffons

Anyone heard anything about his expected arrival date no?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

Connacht sent in a Submission to be included in the City Development Plan on 09th March last.
    It indicates that the Council include the 'Development of an appropriate modern stadium', among others proposals, into the Development Plan for 2017-23.
    It can be downloaded on the below address, scroll to 'Galway City Council DRAFT Development Plan 2017-2023 - Submissions' towards the bottom.
    Submission Ref. DPP.17.127

its_phil wrote: »
    Ah great tell Willie Ruane to get those thick notes out his back pocket for a car park and a stadium to scale of the now defunct Giants stadium. We basically won the lottery when we won the Pro12 it seems

now now no need to be a tad condescending......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Has anyone heard anything about preseason games yet. Hopefully we get a couple at home.

• Advertisement

Last years was far nicer. Although I always have a preference for brighter coloured gear.

McCoy looks lean enough for a prop

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Anyone know who that is second from right? Looks like Ivan Soroka the young Clontarf prop but can't be sure.

well atleast the Sponsor's Logo are nice...

Hype710 wrote: »
    Anyone know who that is second from right? Looks like Ivan Soroka the young Clontarf prop but can't be sure.

Is that not McCoy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeah it's Ivan Soroka

Here is a montage

edit: good spot, I thought it was just James Connolly at first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Hype710

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah it's Ivan Soroka

Ok thanks. Think it could go well for him. Connacht don't have much depth behind Buckley so there's an opportunity there for him to impress (presumably he's just on a short term deal for the time being).

Was realistically never going to get a deal with Leinster given their options at LH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

My eyes, my eyes! Make it stop

lets not panic yet, admittedly the training top is terrible, however the actual jerseys could still be great..... the main logo is vastly improved..

lets not panic yet, admittedly the training top is terrible, however the actual jerseys could still be great..... the main logo is vastly improved..

Yeah the training top that Eoin Griffin was wearing last week has given me hope that it'll be good this year.
    OK go on so I'll post the pic again :)

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/748815603494850560

• Advertisement

Here is a montage

edit: good spot, I thought it was just James Connolly at first

One thing I've learned over the years is any of those trial videos have the dodgiest music as backing going

This does not disappoint.

In serious though seems a destructive enough prop in the scrum at ail level

freyners wrote: »
    One thing I've learned over the years is any of those trial videos have the dodgiest music as backing going

This does not disappoint.

In serious though seems a destructive enough prop in the scrum at ail level

Good passer and seems good in the loose too. Could definitely do a job if he learns the way of the force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

People have completely lost the run of themselves. A proper sized rugby pitch wouldn't fit anywhere in the docks and even if it did, where would the money come from? Galway councillors moaning about it won't get money allocated for it.

Connacht had a brilliant year, but it's very unlikely that level of support could be sustained. How many times did Connacht sell out during the season? Sell outs are great, but unless you are doing it regularly it's not a reason to build a brand new stadium just to have a bigger capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

People have completely lost the run of themselves. A proper sized rugby pitch wouldn't fit anywhere in the docks and even if it did, where would the money come from? Galway councillors moaning about it won't get money allocated for it.

Connacht had a brilliant year, but it's very unlikely that level of support could be sustained. How many times did Connacht sell out during the season? Sell outs are great, but unless you are doing it regularly it's not a reason to build a brand new stadium just to have a bigger capacity.

I think this is sensible. For all the success we had and the great season it was, we still only sold out a very small stadium about 4 or 5 times. Now I know there's been more season tickets sold for next season and everything which will immediately boost the attendances but I still don't think it calls for a brand new stadium just yet.

Better to try focus on increasing the capacity of the Sportsground by another 1,000 to 1,500. Then if in say two years time we're filling this regularly the time might come for a change of venue.

I think this is sensible. For all the success we had and the great season it was, we still only sold out a very small stadium about 4 or 5 times. Now I know there's been more season tickets sold for next season and everything which will immediately boost the attendances but I still don't think it calls for a brand new stadium just yet.

Better to try focus on increasing the capacity of the Sportsground by another 1,000 to 1,500. Then if in say two years time we're filling this regularly the time might come for a change of venue.

IMO one of the big things holding back ticket sales is lack of seats

You kind of need to think about it like any other entertainment and people these days want a quality product. To be able to turn up and sit in reasonable comfort for a few hours, go proper toilet and get some decent food/drink.

Killing your legs standing in a glorified shed and having to hold it until you get home keeps people away, especially as people get past their 20's/early 30's or have kids to bring (ie. People with some extra money to spend).

You might all be die-hard fans here but getting in more of the people who aren't as willing to put themselves out will really help get money in the bank and grow future support.

The lead-in time for new facilities is so long that you can't get on it too quickly.

I also think the plan is a good one for various reasons, but this is a bit of a rant already. Don't be so quick to criticise plans - remember its them that'll be doing the work and taking the risk, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I don't think that a new stadium/redevelopment is wanted by fans to welcome in the new supporters, it's genuinely needed as the facilities are not good enough to cater to all supporters from junior to senior.

I wouldn't move from the Clan Stand regardless because I love the atmosphere but in 20 years time I'll probably be wanting a seat.

Maybe those rumours a out White retiring were a bit premature here is is taking part in the summer camp today which I'm gonna take as a good sign

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHhfotSh5yi/

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah it's Ivan Soroka

No announcement on him joining ? Any other new faces ?

Maybe those rumours a out White retiring were a bit premature here is is taking part in the summer camp today which I'm gonna take as a good sign

https://www.instagram.com/p/BHhfotSh5yi/

They're in last years gear. Id really doubt that was taken recently so

• Advertisement

They're in last years gear. Id really doubt that was taken recently so

You're right Ronaldson posted that today but I hadn't read the whole caption he said it was taken in Sligo last year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement