Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

mean false hope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Whatever about any other part of the Sportsground it looks like the dressing room is getting an upgrade

https://twitter.com/martinjoycey/status/750953289257279488

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭mareegoo

People have completely lost the run of themselves. A proper sized rugby pitch wouldn't fit anywhere in the docks and even if it did, where would the money come from? Galway councillors moaning about it won't get money allocated for it.

Connacht had a brilliant year, but it's very unlikely that level of support could be sustained. How many times did Connacht sell out during the season? Sell outs are great, but unless you are doing it regularly it's not a reason to build a brand new stadium just to have a bigger capacity.

ffs hate this type of non researched post

oceans of room at back of docks have you ever been there ????????

To clarify its a municipal stadium i.e. not connacht rugby so for everyone i.e. music events etc

and safe to say its not a 80,000 seater but prob more like a 15,000 to start with and built with possibilities to expand.

nuff said

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

15K would be too big, remember Connacht's average attendance is in and around 5 or 6K.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    15K would be too big, remember Connacht's average attendance is in and around 5 or 6K.

Connacht themselves have said they want, and are actively seeking to have, a 10k stadium.
    Any stadium in the docks would be a municipal one and not solely one for Connacht. If there was a 15k stadium built there there is a possibility that Connacht might not use it week in week out but rather only for a few big fixtures per year, eg Inter pros and bigger European matches

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

b.gud wrote: »
    Connacht themselves have said they want, and are actively seeking to have, a 10k stadium.
    Any stadium in the docks would be a municipal one and not solely one for Connacht. If there was a 15k stadium built there there is a possibility that Connacht might not use it week in week out but rather only for a few big fixtures per year, eg Inter pros and bigger European matches

But who else would use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Galway United

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Galway United

In a 15,000-seat stadium?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Afaik Galway Utd have no appetite to move from Terryland/Eamon Deacy Park

15,000 Capacity would just be an expensive cobweb gatherer bar the odd concert
    Unless deal was done for Galway to play intercounty games there but I've never heard of them being played in stadiums not owned by the GAA

In theory anyone, including one of the 100 festivals that we have during the summer, the GAA could use it if they wanted, but they won't (even though it would make much more sense than Pearse stadium)

I probably phrased my post wrong. What I should have said was that if a 15k stadium was to be built in the docks I don't see Connacht using it week in week out anytime soon. in their development plan Connacht sought to build/develop a 10k stadium and everyone involved said that they don't want to build something that they can't regularly fill, or almost fill.

The development at the docks would, as I understand it, be driven by parties outside of Connacht rugby, Galway city council Galway harbour etc. If a stadium which was suitable for Connacht was proposed then maybe Connacht would get involved and agree to be a partner. However I think it's highly likely that some politiacl type who wants to make a name for him/herself proposes some really cool but ultimately unsustainable 15-20k stadium. Hopefully Connacht will be smart enough not to get tied into something like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

15k is way too big. It couldn't be shared with the GAA as the pitch would be huge and seats would be way back. GUFC have no reason to move with attendances at less than 1,500 per game and they already play in one of the best stadiums in the LOI.

Surely the best bet is to work something out at the Sportsground?

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    15k is way too big. It couldn't be shared with the GAA as the pitch would be huge and seats would be way back. GUFC have no reason to move with attendances at less than 1,500 per game and they already play in one of the best stadiums in the LOI.

Surely the best bet is to work something out at the Sportsground?

I think that's everyone's preferred option - just the IGB is big stumbling block

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Afaik Galway Utd have no appetite to move from Terryland/Eamon Deacy Park

Just had a look at their website and it looks like Galway United only get in and around 1K for their games.

So yeah I can see why they've no appetite to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

CatFromHue wrote: »

It's already been said by Willie Ruane 10k is the size they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Can I ask where this figure of 15K came from was it released or did someone here just say the figure and now its being debated?
    A 10,000 stadium would be perfect Id think would give a bit of room to grow without looking empty for smaller games. Someone mentioned only using a bigger stadium for big games, this stadium which is very unlikely anyway given how this country works will never happen unless Connacht sign up as anchor tenants playing all home games there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Can you imagine the press release?

"the council built this lovely new stadium but we don't want to use it because it's slightly too big.

If you're looking for us we'll be standing in our shed."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Do people think another signing is en route? Badly need a 2nd row with Dillane and Roux likely to be involved with Ireland and Muldowneys departure. Was quite confident at one stage but it's getting pretty late...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Personally I think all this talk of a municipal stadium is pie in the sky rubbish being touted by councillors to get their names in the paper on the coat tails of Connacht's recent success.... I'll believe it when I see it.

And having seen how Galway council have managed things over the years, if it gets built at all it'll be 10 years late, at 3 times the budget, the pitch will be 10m too short and the seats will probably all face the wrong way. But it'll be ok, sure weren't there a few jobs and sombody's cousin made a fortune building it....

We just need something like this and then the Sportsground is all ours :)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-07-07/greyhound-racing-to-be-banned-in-new-south-wales/7576816

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Do people think another signing is en route? Badly need a 2nd row with Dillane and Roux likely to be involved with Ireland and Muldowneys departure. Was quite confident at one stage but it's getting pretty late...

Agree could do with one but we do have Browne, Marshall, Qualter and young Romaine to cover during 6 Nation's.

• Advertisement

Agree could do with one but we do have Browne, Marshall, Qualter and young Romaine to cover during 6 Nation's.

Yeah there's a bit of depth there alright but still aside from Browne, that trio probably made 5 or 6 league appearances last season (obviously none for Romaine).

To be fair Marshall was injured and Qualter did really well when called upon, especially as a late notice replacement, can't remember against who.

So yeah as you say some options there but a signing would be a great boost.

Thanks to Rigor Mortis in the Leinster thread for the inspiration

Here's what Wasps fixtures look like in and around the Champions cup games, full fixtures can be found here

Date ||Fixture
    Oct 9 ||Saracens A
    Oct 13-16 ||CC Round 1
    Oct 19-22 ||CC Round 2
    Dec 3 ||Worcester A
    Dec 8-11 ||CC Round 3
    Dec 15-18 ||CC Round 4
    Jan 8 ||Leicester H
    Jan 12-15 ||CC Round 5
    Jan 19-22 ||CC Round 6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Thanks to Rigor Mortis in the Leinster thread

Took me a minute to work out that you weren't complaining about all the "my favourite winger is great, yours is useless" stuff over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Have Connacht named their academy intake for next year yet? Leinster and Munster have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Have Connacht named their academy intake for next year yet? Leinster and Munster have.

They're waiting for Ulster to announce so they can pick up all the unpolished diamonds that have been left behind :p

Interesting interview from Aly Muldowney on Grenoble website, says Connacht targeted winning Pro12 at the start of last season but kept it quiet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

a good boardsie would post a link and a badly translated paragraph or 2 :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

evil_seed wrote: »
    a good boardsie would post a link and a badly translated paragraph or 2 :pac:

Aly's French obviously isnt as good as his passing as the interview was in english (the video halfway down)

http://fcgrugby.com/index.php/component/content/article/1-latest-news/7525-l-je-vais-aimer-jouer-ce-style-de-rugby-r#.V4S6StLruM8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Haskell out for 6 months with toe reconstruction. He will miss one if not both pool games.

• Advertisement

According to wales online our opening round is home to Glasgow

freyners wrote: »

They're also reporting that there won't be any more Sunday games

freyners wrote: »

Doubt there will be much of an away crowd for that considering two trips at end of last season. Will still be a sellout I'd say.

Last fixture is away in the debt star. Hopefully theres something on the line for that

Glasgow H
    Ospreys H
    Zebre A
    Scarlets A
    Edinburgh H
    Ulster H

First six games.

Here's the full list of Connacht fixtures

http://www.pro12rugby.com/teams/connacht/fixtures.php

• Advertisement

Ulster H Treviso H and Ospreys A are the fixtures before Champions Cup weeks. Ulster is a Friday night game so at least maximises the period between.

Updated table of fixtures in the lead up to Champions cup games

Date ||Wasps Fixture||Date|Connacht fixture||Date|Zebre fixture
    Oct 9 ||Saracens A ||Oct 7| Ulster H||Oct 8| Glasgow H
    Oct 13-16 ||CC Round 1|||CC Round 1|||CC Round 1
    Oct 19-22 ||CC Round 2|||CC Round 2|||CC Round 2
    Dec 3 ||Worcester A ||Dec 3|Treviso H||Dec 3|Scarlets H
    Dec 8-11 ||CC Round 3|||CC Round 3|||CC Round 3
    Dec 15-18 ||CC Round 4|||CC Round 4|||CC Round 4
    Jan 8 ||Leicester H ||6/7/8 Jan| Ospreys A||6 Jan| Leinster A
    Jan 12-15 ||CC Round 5|||CC Round 5|||CC Round 5
    Jan 19-22 ||CC Round 6|||CC Round 6|||CC Round 6

Pressure on from the start. 11/12 home wins last season, need to maintain that or go very close anyway if going to be in the playoffs again. Would have preferred Glasgow later on in the season but it is what it is I suppose.

Updated table of fixtures in the lead up to Champions cup games

]

Top 14 out now too. Toulouse have Clermont A Brive H and Stade Francais A.
    Times not set yet.

http://www.lnr.fr/sites/default/files/calendrier_top_14_2016-2017.pdf

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Top 14 out now too. Toulouse have Clermont A Brive H and Stade Francais A.
    Times not set yet.

http://www.lnr.fr/sites/default/files/calendrier_top_14_2016-2017.pdf

Thanks will update when I get back from lunch

• Advertisement

Finalised table. Not too bad for Connacht we seem to have at least as good as or better turn around in terms of days on all the match

Date ||Wasps Fixture||Date|Connacht fixture||Date|Zebre fixture||Date|Toulouse fixture
    Oct 9 ||Saracens A ||Oct 7| Ulster H||Oct 8| Glasgow H||Oct 8| Clermont A
    Oct 13-16 ||CC Round 1|||CC Round 1|||CC Round 1|||CC Round 1
    Oct 19-22 ||CC Round 2|||CC Round 2|||CC Round 2|||CC Round 2
    Dec 3 ||Worcester A ||Dec 3|Treviso H||Dec 3|Scarlets H||Dec 3|Briev H
    Dec 8-11 ||CC Round 3|||CC Round 3|||CC Round 3|||CC Round 3
    Dec 15-18 ||CC Round 4|||CC Round 4|||CC Round 4|||CC Round 3
    Jan 8 ||Leicester H ||6/7/8 Jan| Ospreys A||6 Jan| Leinster A||7 Jan| Stade Francais A
    Jan 12-15 ||CC Round 5|||CC Round 5|||CC Round 5|||CC Round 5
    Jan 19-22 ||CC Round 6|||CC Round 6|||CC Round 6|||CC Round 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Definitely getting to Wales just which one

Well with that home record to uphold we'll have to hit the ground running

Worth noting that 12/14 of our opening rounds are televised, Glasgow (H), Leinster (A) and Ospreys (A) are on sky with the remainder on FTA, majority being TG4

Amazing what a bit of success will do!!

Not had la chance to put these into my calendar yet. We got many home Saturday matches?

Glasgow, Ospreys, Zebre (Away), Scarlets (away), Leinster (away), Treviso and Munster are all Saturdays Treadhead

International Duty

November Tests:
    Leinster Away (just camp)
    Dragons Away
    Cardiff Home

6 Nations:

Cardiff Home
    Dragons Home (just camp)
    Treviso Away
    Zebre Home (just camp)
    Glasgow Away (some players rested as 6 Nations over)

Glasgow, Ospreys, Zebre (Away), Scarlets (away), Leinster (away), Treviso and Munster are all Saturdays Treadhead

Cheers, a couple I can make it to before Christmas so.

IRFU CEO Phillip Browne on Sportsground redevelopment and new stadiums
    Browne also revealed that discussions between Connacht and the Galway City Council about possibly expanding the Sportsground were ongoing.

Connacht are hoping to build a stadium with a capacity of around 10,000 in the next four years and Browne admitted that was a realistic target, especially in light of Munster's struggle to regularly fill Thomond Park.

"The capacity obviously is probably not far off, it's the quality of the facilities is the issue," he said.

"We had a similar situation in the Aviva Stadium; when we built it people were saying, 'Ah, you're mad. You should have built a 65 or 70,000-capacity stadium, and if you have to go to a different site then so be it'.

"I'd rather have people beating the door down to try and get into the stadium than to have people saying, 'I don't like the weather today, I won't go'. Because it's easy to buy a ticket.

"It's about supply and demand, so I think the key is not to build something which is not going to be filled most of the time."

I agree with him 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

New signing announced, Josh Rowland.
    Has been playing 7s with Ireland recently and only moved to Ireland in April. Had been playing ITM Cup
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/new-back-josh-rowland-signs-for-connacht/#ConnachtNews

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well all right, but TBH I was convinced we had enough backs. The best news is the announcement doesn't close the recruitement, opening the door to the 2nd row we really need (and/or n 8 to a lesser extent)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement