Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Old highlights already posted but not those IIRC https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gW87RFk1es

So, at the moment 22 backs for only 20 forwards in the senior squad. With our new "double issue" i.e international caps+Champions Cup 22 players of each would be nice. Add a back-row n 8 + a very good NIQ 2nd row + Academy reinforcements = 44 men, 50+ widened squad, future built on key positions, best team in Europe :D Simple as.

well I want to underline the massive change since the last time we play in Europe : we had a junior backline now we have a senior one : Any of our "likely starting" backs except Marmion are between 25 and 28 years old. So are most of our back-ups (McSharry, Ronaldson, Poolman etc). Young guns like Kelleher Leader Robb and Parata can step up only when they have fully grown-up, into a more cohesive back-line than the one with Murphy(s), Duffy, Fafita or Carr. They won't be put on fire like the team sent away to London for Saracens or Quins 3-4 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

New signing announced, Josh Rowland.
    Has been playing 7s with Ireland recently and only moved to Ireland in April. Had been playing ITM Cup
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/new-back-josh-rowland-signs-for-connacht/#ConnachtNews

I wonder if he will remain involved in 7s? I wouldn't have thought Connacht needed another back 3 player but if he will be involved internationally at 7s he might be cheap and useful as cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I wonder if he will remain involved in 7s? I wouldn't have thought Connacht needed another back 3 player but if he will be involved internationally at 7s he might be cheap and useful as cover.

Are they not a bit light on the wings? Healy, Niyi, Poolman and... ?

New guy is strictly squad filler I'd say, like that other Kiwi guy who arrived last year (and then got injured).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

New guy is strictly squad filler I'd say, like that other Kiwi guy who arrived last year (and then got injured).

Nepia Fox Matamua. Great player and definitely not a squad filler anymore. Pity he got injured he was playing fantastic rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Nepia Fox Matamua. Great player and definitely not a squad filler anymore. Pity he got injured he was playing fantastic rugby.

He's talking about Api and I don't think he was ever going to be just filler. More like insurance for Heenan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

its_phil wrote: »
    He's talking about Api and I don't think he was ever going to be just filler. More like insurance for Heenan

At some point this season I would live to see both on at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That's the one. Fox-Matamua looks good alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

That's the one. Fox-Matamua looks good alright.

Bonus points if you can spell Apis surname without looking it up, it shouldn't be hard sure he's "Irish" :)

freyners wrote: »

At some point this season I would live to see both on at the same time

That's why I hope Lam will choose Heenan/Masterson/Fox for backrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

More often than not the Eagles side play Home when the Senior side play Away in Europe - Eagles First round in B&I at home to Cornish Pirate's makes an away match in Champions Cup most likely

Kinda want it to be :
    Cornish Pirate's home - Toulouse Away
    London Irish Away - Zebre home
    Osprey's Select Home - Wasps Away
    Osprey's Select away - Wasp's Home
    London Irish Home - Zebre Away
    Cornish Pirate's away - Toulouse Home

This is because I'm not going to Parma so wanna see the Eagles V London Irish :pac:

wp_rathead wrote: »
    More often than not the Eagles side play Home when the Senior side play Away in Europe - Eagles First round in B&I at home to Cornish Pirate's makes an away match in Champions Cup most likely

Kinda want it to be :
    Cornish Pirate's home - Toulouse Away
    London Irish Away - Zebre home
    Osprey's Select Home - Wasps Away
    Osprey's Select away - Wasp's Home
    London Irish Home - Zebre Away
    Cornish Pirate's away - Toulouse Home

This is because I'm not going to Parma so wanna see the Eagles V London Irish :pac:

I wonder how much will LI care about this? Could be a good game if they are interested

I'd imagine they be fully focused on promotion but id imagine a sizeable crowd Will come cover, any excuse to visit the homeland

I'd imagine they be fully focused on promotion but id imagine a sizeable crowd Will come cover, any excuse to visit the homeland

That's kinda what I thought too. I'd say there'll also be a bit of interest from local fans to see LI play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Would like Wasps first if that game is away. They're away to Sarries the week before and best chance of a favourable result over there might be when they haven't had the opportunity to see us play Toulouse.

Jersey on sale on the 20th so should be released soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Some of the jackets and hoodies are up on elverys website look decent. All grey an navy an black

Some of the jackets and hoodies are up on elverys website look decent. All grey an navy an black

They class but..
    ..no green outerwear :(

They class but..
    ..no green outerwear :(

All very safe and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The first few bits look like a sneeze that stopped half way through. It was gonna be good but something didn't go right.

Academy spots confirmed:

Kerins, Claffey, Gallagher, Kenny and Leavy added

*site is down at the minute but here's the link anyway

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/academy-confirmed-for-201617/#ConnachtNews

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Conor McKeon listed as a Scrumhalf these days?

Robbo wrote: »

Pulling a madigan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Robbo wrote: »

He'd make a good kicking scrum half.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

I'd say that the Conor McKeon scrum half thing is just a mistake. Interesting that Jamie Dever and Saba Meunargia have been given another year seeing as they were both year 3 last year. Jacob Walshe was in the same situation but has been let go.

Number 137 wrote: »
    I'd say that the Conor McKeon scrum half thing is just a mistake. Interesting that Jamie Dever and Saba Meunargia have been given another year seeing as they were both year 3 last year. Jacob Walshe was in the same situation but has been let go.

It is not a mistake, he is now playing as a nine !

RobbieRuns wrote: »

Really? That leaves us with no outhalves coming through the academy which is worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

b.gud wrote: »

Really? That leaves us with no outhalves coming through the academy which is worrying

and a bucketload of scrum halves

You will probably see one of Joey Carberry or Ross Byrne making their way west at some stage.

• Advertisement

So I guess our Eagles team is pretty much finalised, except for 22: where is aidan moynihan?

Ivan Soroka- Loosehead Prop
    Jack Dinneen - Hooker
    Conan O'Donnell - Tighthead Prop
    Cian Romaine - Second Row
    Cillian Gallagher - Second Row
    Danny Qualter Second Row/Back Rower
    James Connolly- Back Rower
    Marc Kelly - Back Rower
    Caolin Blade SH
    Peter Robb or Dave McSharry (less used with the 1st team) Inside Centre
    Rory Parata Outside Centre
    One of Kelleher/Niyi/Poolman/Rowland (less used with the 1st team)
    Ed O'Keeffe - Back-Three
    Ciaran Gaffney - Back-Three

Sub

Jamie Dever/Conor Kyne- Loosehead Prop
    Pat O'Toole - Hooker
    Saba Meunargia/Conor Kenny - Tighthead Prop
    Peter Claffey - Second Row
    Stephen McVeigh - Back Rower
    Conor Lowndes/Stephen Kerins - Scrum Half
    ????????? - Conor McKeon even if listed as SH Outhalf
    Adam Leavy/Cormac Brennan Utility back

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

You will probably see one of Joey Carberry or Ross Byrne making their way west at some stage.

Depending on how this season goes it could easily be Marsh who moves on.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Depending on how this season goes it could easily be Marsh who moves on.

Possibly, but I would say with the fly half's that we have here and the age profile of the young Leinster lads, I would expect it to be one of Carberry or Byrne. I think Carberry really pushed on last year and would stay in Dublin myself. I do think that one of the three will be pushed out to the other provinces at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Possibly, but I would say with the fly half's that we have here and the age profile of the young Leinster lads, I would expect it to be one of Carberry or Byrne. I think Carberry really pushed on last year and would stay in Dublin myself. I do think that one of the three will be pushed out to the other provinces at some stage.

If Marsh doesn't improve on last season both Byrne and Carberry would have a decent shot at gametime as backup to Sexton who will probably play a max of 15 games a season. Though they may well look at the opportunity of regular gametime for a few seasons as attractive alright. Connacht don't seem to be overstocked with outhalves that's for sure. Is McGinty gone now?

stephen_n wrote: »
    . Connacht don't seem to be overstocked with outhalves that's for sure. Is McGinty gone now?

McGinty gone
    We have Boshoff, Carty, O'Leary and Ronaldson for next season (in Academy only have Conor McKeon but he down as a SH now so not sure what story is there)

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

On Conor McKeon's profile in the Connacht Academy page he still listed as a fly half, but perhaps that will change. Has he actually played any games at 9 yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Tremenjus!

Whoop all green! Sponsor logo isn't made bya 5 year old.

But um horizontal stripes. Right time to hit the gym

Not liking it on first look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Will need to see it in the flesh so to speak. Don't think it's as nice as last year's personally, sponsors logo aside. Can be hard to tell from the photos sometimes though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Could have done with a bit more navy in it I thought. Seems to be going down the green route following the grassroots to green shoots motto.

freyners wrote: »
    Not liking it on first look

I know what you mean. It'll be a what's it like in person job

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

I hope there's a big surprise on the back!

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    I hope there's a big surprise on the back!

Green back as well. Hoops continue for the lower third.

Delighted it's fully green and as long as it's as dark as it seems in the BLK pics I'm happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Not keen on the stripes but decent overall. May wait for one of the multitude of other jerseys before parting with my cash this season. ;)

The back of the kids Jersey

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement