Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Treadhead wrote: »
    Not keen on the stripes but decent overall. May wait for one of the multitude of other jerseys before parting with my cash this season. ;)

Same for me. I quiet liked last years strip as a design and bought it despite the logo. Will wait on the away and euro kit before I decide to buy one

I like it. Think I'll pick it up once my season ticket has been received. No rush yet.
    Martin Joyce made a comment on Twitter about them last week, and said that the European jersey is fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Just called into Elverys and had a look at it. Looks a lot nicer than in the photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

wp_rathead wrote: »
    McGinty gone
    We have Boshoff, Carty, O'Leary and Ronaldson for next season (in Academy only have Conor McKeon but he down as a SH now so not sure what story is there)

Pity you couldn't hold on to McGinty. Is Ronaldson a bit injury prone, seems that way from the outside looking in. Maybe Carty will sort his kicking out this season, other than I've liked what I have seen of him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

stephen_n wrote: »
    Pity you couldn't hold on to McGinty. Is Ronaldson a bit injury prone, seems that way from the outside looking in. Maybe Carty will sort his kicking out this season, other than I've liked what I have seen of him

Not especially injury prone no. He played all of last season until he picked up that injury in March which kept him out. Think he had a couple of knocks the previous season but no more injury prone than the average these days.

Lam doesn't see him as a 10 really though, has picked him pretty much exclusively at 12 for the last season and a half or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Would have looked better if Liam Messam was unveiled as new signing !! Looks good can't wait to see it in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Not especially injury prone no. He played all of last season until he picked up that injury in March which kept him out. Think he had a couple of knocks the previous season but no more injury prone than the average these days.

Lam doesn't see him as a 10 really though, has picked him pretty much exclusively at 12 for the last season and a half or so.

That leaves you fairly threadbare at 10 then, mind you probably no worse than any of the other provinces at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

stephen_n wrote: »
    That leaves you fairly threadbare at 10 then, mind you probably no worse than any of the other provinces at the moment.

Carty, Beshoff, O'Leary and Ronaldson(can play 10 or 12). We don't need anymore 10s. We need a good outside center. Bundi's place is at 12, same as is Mc Serry(Who can hopefully make a full recovery). Griffen is a 13 but he has had very little game time in the last 2 years. Maybe Heally, TOH of Poolman could play 13?
    It will be interesting to see what back line Lam picks against Glasgow when all player are available to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Carty, Beshoff, O'Leary and Ronaldson(can play 10 or 12). We don't need anymore 10s. We need a good outside center. Bundi's place is at 12, same as is Mc Serry(Who can hopefully make a full recovery). Griffen is a 13 but he has had very little game time in the last 2 years. Maybe Heally, TOH of Poolman could play 13?
    It will be interesting to see what back line Lam picks against Glasgow when all player are available to him.
    Parata can play 13 as well.
    No Connacht don't need anymore 10s with four in senior set up.
    Bundee could end up at 13 with one of the other options at 12...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

This the year Peter Robb becomes a sensation at 13 and dislodges Henshaw from the Irish team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

nsure on the jersey. Very Celtic-y. I guess I'll have to see it in the flesh. The green looks a bit too bright

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

I see from the latest squad photos Nathan white is back training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

hermano wrote: »

13698079_10153861427428562_1942360343460705493_o.jpg

Glad it was just a rumour always a shame when a player is forced to retire before they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

hermano wrote: »

That's made my day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Now we're good. Even if he should be behind Bealham, he has 20-30 minutes lelf in him to close games out. McCoy/Saba/O'Donnell have got one more year to develop

connachta wrote: »
    Now we're good. Even if he should be behind Bealham, he has 20-30 minutes lelf in him to close games out. McCoy/Saba/O'Donnell have got one more year to develop

Yep, a second row would be nice but we're not in bad nick now considering the players we have lost.

my source for the White rumour was very reliable. I guess he jumped the gun

evil_seed wrote: »
    my source for the White rumour was very reliable. I guess he jumped the gun

NAJE0d0.png

:D Wouldn't worry about it too much even the most reliable source can get it wrong from time to time. I think we're all just happy that he/she was wrong on this occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

connachta wrote: »

Yep, a second row would be nice but we're not in bad nick now considering the players we have lost.

Agree I maent good for scrums. n 8 not totally necessary but a lock is needed

• Advertisement

Was just watching the Mayo game their. Mayo play at "Elverys McHale Park". Elverys is plaster all over the place and it never sells out these days. Do you think that Elverys might push Connacht to move a game up there? They would have pull with the Mayo county board as well no doubt and would help Ireland's RWC bid as Castlebar is proposed venue. It would also help cement Castlebar's place a venue in that bid.
    How much more ticket revenue can Connacht pass up because they don't have the capacity at the sports ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

Was just watching the Mayo game their. Mayo play at "Elverys McHale Park". Elverys is plaster all over the place and it never sells out these days. Do you think that Elverys might push Connacht to move a game up there? They would have pull with the Mayo county board as well no doubt and would help Ireland's RWC bid as Castlebar is proposed venue. It would also help cement Castlebar's place a venue in that bid.
    How much more ticket revenue can Connacht pass up because they don't have the capacity at the sports ground?

Only Croke Park, once permitted by Central Council, can host games that are not affiliated with the organisation.
    It has been recently written into the rules that the GAA's other stadia can be used only for either the 2023 or 2027 Rugby World Cups.
    In order for Connacht to be able to host a game at McHale Park, they would have to get a proposal passed by the GAA Congress, & this has been as good as ruled out by Connacht GAA’s secretary John Prenty.
    So, in fairness to Connacht Rugby, people need to lay the whole 'Connacht must move to Pearse or McHale if they are going to grow'.
    It's not in Connachts hands, the GAA are the ones not willing to move with the times.
    Although I wouldn't be a fan of Connacht playing each home game in a GAA pitch, simply because of the size comparison, (I think it would drastically reduce the atmosphere being a much larger field), I think the GAA in Connacht are missing out on something massive, & unfortunately for them, If & when they do decide to pull their socks up & push it through a Congress, they'll have missed the boat, Connacht will either be in a new Stadium or a redeveloped Sportsground.

This is a bit of an over reaction.
    They sold out 4 games in an unprecedented successful season last year.
    There will be high demand for tickets this season given the volume of season tickets sold but they'll just have to see what transpires this year before getting too carried away.

There will be high demand for tickets this season given the volume of season tickets sold but they'll just have to see what transpires this year before getting too carried away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Completely agree !

lockyjpl wrote: »

Only Croke Park, once permitted by Central Council, can host games that are not affiliated with the organisation.
    It has been recently written into the rules that the GAA's other stadia can be used only for either the 2023 or 2027 Rugby World Cups.
    In order for Connacht to be able to host a game at McHale Park, they would have to get a proposal passed by the GAA Congress, & this has been as good as ruled out by Connacht GAA s secretary John Prenty.
    So, in fairness to Connacht Rugby, people need to lay the whole 'Connacht must move to Pearse or McHale if they are going to grow'.
    It's not in Connachts hands, the GAA are the ones not willing to move with the times.
    Although I wouldn't be a fan of Connacht playing each home game in a GAA pitch, simply because of the size comparison, (I think it would drastically reduce the atmosphere being a much larger field), I think the GAA in Connacht are missing out on something massive, & unfortunately for them, If & when they do decide to pull their socks up & push it through a Congress, they'll have missed the boat, Connacht will either be in a new Stadium or a redeveloped Sportsground.
    As I understand it(and I could be wrong), McHale park is owned by Mayo GAA and not the GAA itself as is the situation with Croke Park and Pearse Stadium. This would mean that it would be Mayo GAA's decision alone.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

As I understand it(and I could be wrong), McHale park is owned by Mayo GAA and not the GAA itself as is the situation with Croke Park and Pearse Stadium. This would mean that it would be Mayo GAA's decision alone.

This is not correct. The county board might own the stadium (I think most county boards do) but they cannot open it up to other sports off their own bat.

They have to abide by GAA rules which very clearly state that other sports cannot be played there.

I don't think it would be an over reaction. Building something the size of Thomond would be an over reaction. They had to limited the number of season tickets on sale to allow some for nonseason ticket holders and away fans. I think the Glasgow game will be another sellout. It can't hurt to test the waters and move a game to McHale Park.
    There are certain standards for a Champions cups quarter-final. If we don't have an alternative venue lined up we will end up playing a home quarter in Thomond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If IF Connacht wanted to play in McHale park or any GAA stadium they wouldn't get access till 2018 because of how the congress works.

Mayo GAA are also in a whole heap of debt and money talks, even in an "Amateur Organisation" like the GAA.

I don't think it would be an over reaction.

Implying we are missing out on loads of ticket sales when we only sold out 4 games last year is the over reaction I am referring to.
    They had to limited the number of season tickets on sale to allow some for nonseason ticket holders and away fans

There are still season tickets available so I am not sure what the relevance of that is in terms of missed opportunity to sell tickets.
    I think the Glasgow game will be another sellout. It can't hurt to test the waters and move a game to McHale Park.
    It may well be and I hope it is.
    However Why do you think you would sell as many tickets in McHale as you would in Galway?
    You could be bringing the show up there for a smaller crowd.
    You said yourself they don't even sell out for football why would you expect any different for rugby?
    Besides it's not a runner due to their own rules so we will all be left looking at a locked gate, so forget about it until the GAA say these pitches can be used.
    There are certain standards for a Champions cups quarter-final. If we don't have an alternative venue lined up we will end up playing a home quarter in Thomond.

I am not aware of these standards, could you provide the details or a link to them so we could discuss actual alternatives if they are required.

• Advertisement

I am not aware of these standards, could you provide the details or a link to them so we could discuss actual alternatives if they are required.

Based on this years quarter finals I think the standards may be that they are to be played in a half empty stadium, hence we wouldn't be able to meet this criteria ;)

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/5359.php#.V5IsitArIUE
    The work will see a planned increase in the capacity of Ravenhill to 18,200 making it capable of hosting a PRO12 final or Heineken Cup quarter-final match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I don't think there is a minimum capacity requirement for a quarter final. Saracens ground holds 10,000 max and they played their quarter final at home with an attendance of 8,050. We wouldn't be far off that and could probably fit 10,000 in with extra stands/terracing brought in for a one-off game.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/5359.php#.V5IsitArIUE

The work will see a planned increase in the capacity of Ravenhill to 18,200 making it capable of hosting a PRO12 final or Heineken Cup quarter-final match.

Not sure this really answers the question but it does imply there may be rules in place.

Looks as though there was a requirement of 15,000 capacity for the old Hcup but Sarries played their home quarter in Allianz park in front of 8,000 people last year so I guess those standards are gone out the window in the new competition.
    Still, Connacht should be looking to sell more than 8,000 tickets if they get a home quarter-final. 12 - 15 thousand would be a reasonable expectation even if the crowd have to travel to Castlebar. A home game against Munster, Leinster or Ulster could easily draw 20,000 or more.

Looks like George is off to Harlequins

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIK5EQmjDFj/
    bundeeaki_So great to see these two before they leave to fulfill the next chapters in their lives, such great couple with loving hearts. Galway will definetly miss having yous both here, @Harlequinsrugby got a good one. #lifelongfriends

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Still, Connacht should be looking to sell more than 8,000 tickets if they get a home quarter-final. 12 - 15 thousand would be a reasonable expectation even if the crowd have to travel to Castlebar. A home game against Munster, Leinster or Ulster could easily draw 20,000 or more.

Unless Castlebar Celtic get a 12-15k stadium in the next year, there are going to be no Connacht matches in Mayo. GAA stadia are off limits, it is not even worth discussing even if Mayo or Galway GAA wanted to open them up it has to go to congress.

20k is really not an easy draw for a team with regular crowds of 5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lockyjpl

What difference would that make? Mayo GAA is Governed by the Rules & regulations of the GAA itself. The is no way any County Board would vote to break the rules of its own Association for what, unfortunately is still such a contentious issue within the GAA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Any pre season games announced yet?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,865 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Advertisement

Bundee and Sene already confirmed it
    Are we only having 1 preseason game in Montpellier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

We were due to play Bristol at home but that's been cancelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

When's the last time we had a pre-season friendly at home? Must be 3/4 years ago!

we had one last season vs Grenoble I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Yup Grenoble
    Plus we had that home game against Munster in Thomond :)

Yup Grenoble

Ah yes I remember that one well... The sevens were on

Yup Grenoble

Ah yes I remember that one well... The sevens were on
    Doesn't look like there is gonna be 7s in Limerick this summer either. Probably because of the olympics. Preseason friendlies seem pretty useless in Rugby. The intensity just isn't there. After such long season last year they may have decided to give them a miss this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hopefully they put on open training match with Probables vs Possibles
    I'd almost prefer that than some meaningless friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Doesn't look like there is gonna be 7s in Limerick this summer either. Probably because of the olympics. Preseason friendlies seem pretty useless in Rugby. The intensity just isn't there. After such long season last year they may have decided to give them a miss this year.

I highly doubt that. It would be sheer madness not to have any pre-season games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

its_phil wrote: »
    I highly doubt that. It would be sheer madness not to have any pre-season games.

Absolutely. The new systems have to be implemented and practiced against a team who don't know what to expect. Playing probable's against possibles won't help if everyone knows what's going to happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement