Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

b.gud wrote: »
    Looks like George is off to Harlequins

https://www.instagram.com/p/BIK5EQmjDFj/

Great move for George. Didn't think he's get a move to such a high profile club. Not sure how much he'll play there barring injuries but great for him all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭testtech05

Looks like George might get a bit more game time than I had anticipated and best of luck to him!!
    http://www.the42.ie/nick-easter-player-coach-retire-2901597-Jul2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I really am terribly happy for George...It was wrong to say I was worried about him, I don't know him..but himself and his wife seemed to really invest in Connacht, and seemed like really nice people. so it's great to see him get such a high profile gig...I hope they get on wonderfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I think depending on how the super semi's go we could be hearing news of a signing or 2 next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I think depending on how the super semi's go we could be hearing news of a signing or 2 next week.

Are you just guessing or is there a rumoured signing from NZ?

• Advertisement

hermano wrote: »
    Are you just guessing or is there a rumoured signing from NZ?

There has been a rumour of a second row kiwi in talks a while back. Recruitment has not finished as they always release a statement to say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Chiefs out of Super Rugby, based on Lam past signing Clarke/Aki, we should hear about someone next week. But they run out of 2nd row, so I doubt it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Am I the only one who doesn't get the, once a team is out of Super rugby we'll know about signings thing that's been going on here for the past few days?

When we signed Clarke and Aki those deals were done and announced well ahead of the playoffs

b.gud wrote: »
    Am I the only one who doesn't get the, once a team is out of Super rugby we'll know about signings thing that's been going on here for the past few days?

When we signed Clarke and Aki those deals were fone and announced well ahead of the playoffs
    we know that, but it is the only explanation for the delay, as the recruitement is not officially over

connachta wrote: »
    we know that, but it is the only explanation for the delay, as the recruitement is not officially over

If there is a NZ signing to come I reckon it's more likely to be a Heenan/Fox-Matamua type than someone who is involved with a super rugby team. Not that that's a bad thing :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's not the only explanation.

Zzippy wrote: »

It's not the only explanation.

Oh Zzippy has inner information. hope it's a confirmation of good news!

No, just saying that there can be other explanations. Pinning all your hopes on a big Super Rugby signing and refusing to think there could be other explanations for a delay in any announcement (if there is going to be one at all) is pure fantasy.

No, just saying that there can be other explanations. Pinning all your hopes on a big Super Rugby signing and refusing to think there could be other explanations for a delay in any announcement (if there is going to be one at all) is pure fantasy.
    I'm not refusing anything. Just think the recruitement isn't over, announcement would have been made. And I'm open to other explainations, nobody gave me one that's all. Debate is on, why it's so late to come? Contract issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm not refusing anything. Just think the recruitement isn't over, announcement would have been made. And I'm open to other explainations, nobody gave me one that's all. Debate is on, why it's so late to come? Contract issues?

Connacht would make an announcement just to say their recruitment is over for the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Connacht would make an announcement just to say their recruitment is over for the season?

It's usually a tag line at the end of a recruitment announcement

It's usually a tag line at the end of a recruitment announcement

If they know they're done at the time they make an announcement

If they know they're done at the time they make an announcement

ah yeah. I personally amn't holding out hope that there will be like above though based on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The logic is: we haven't been specifically told it's not happening, therefore it must be happening? OK...

The logic is also 4 locks + Qualter, among who 2 are international, that's not enough to play ChampionsCup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Finn Russell likely out for the opener. With weir gone who's the likely OH?

freyners wrote: »
    Finn Russell likely out for the opener. With weir gone who's the likely OH?

They have signed a young kiwi and re-signed Rory Clegg along with whoever else was already in the squad. Glasgow seem to have signed and let go a good few players. It might take a while for the squad to gel so I don't expect them to be up to speed until after Christmas.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    They have signed a young kiwi and re-signed Rory Clegg along with whoever else was already in the squad. Glasgow seem to have signed and let go a good few players. It might take a while for the squad to gel so I don't expect them to be up to speed until after Christmas.

They have a full pre season this year so I would expect them to be much better this season from much earlier, Leinster and Ospreys too

The logic is also 4 locks + Qualter, among who 2 are international, that's not enough to play ChampionsCup.

Other reason :

Connacht have only 1 NIQ (Boshoff) + 3 project Pl, among who 2 will be IQ as soon as next season (and probably straight into the Irish squad : McCartney and Aki)
    There's absolutely no reason for IRFU to forbid a NIQ lock, except maybe Munster having recruited overseas here, again...

Would you rather Connacht go out and get an NIQ lock, or tie Bundee down to a new long term contract? Just a hypothetical question

IMO there's no talk about preference. We need one lock, full-blank. If Roux and Dillane are called by Joe again in November/February, and one of the injury-prone Browne/Marshall is unavailable, we're done. Would mean both Qualter and 20 y-o academy 2nd row on a same teamsheet. No way...

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Would you rather Connacht go out and get an NIQ lock, or tie Bundee down to a new long term contract? Just a hypothetical question

Easy question, bundee for life. He could probably do a job in the second row if we're stuck :)

IMO there's no talk about preference. We need one lock, full-blank. If Roux and Dillane are called by Joe again in November/February, and one of the injury-prone Browne/Marshall is unavailable, we're done. Would mean both Qualter and 20 y-o academy 2nd row on a same teamsheet. No way...

Sean O'Brien can also cover second row. Marshall has had one bad injury, that's not "injury-prone". We have to play within our resources, that means not buying in a player every time there is a perceived need, but also trusting our young players and bringing in academy players to bring them on. Pat has done that very well to date and I would expect him to continue to do so.

Sean O'Brien can also cover second row. Marshall has had one bad injury, that's not "injury-prone". We have to play within our resources, that means not buying in a player every time there is a perceived need, but also trusting our young players and bringing in academy players to bring them on. Pat has done that very well to date and I would expect him to continue to do so.

Disagree, Marshall had two severe injuries in a row, SOB was converted to 6/8 for a reason. And bringing 20 y.o guys for the backline isn't the same as doing such thing for 2nd row. Look at Dillane, only burst into the squad in the end of last season, and still row material at 23. Claffey/Romaine/Gallagher will be useful. In 2 or 3 years. Just the period of time for a new NIQ deal

• Advertisement

I think it's questionable if Roux will be heavily involved with Ireland this season, but if he is, that makes it less likely that someone will be signed, not more.

Five senior locks would seem to be plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Disagree, Marshall had two severe injuries in a row, SOB was converted to 6/8 for a reason. And bringing 20 y.o guys for the backline isn't the same as doing such thing for 2nd row. Look at Dillane, only burst into the squad in the end of last season, and still row material at 23. Claffey/Romaine/Gallagher will be useful. In 2 or 3 years. Just the period of time for a new NIQ deal

Maro Itoje is 21. There's no reason for stopping young academy guys from playing for the seniors just because they're forwards.

Really want to compare both situations? Itoje plays among the most experienced : Alistair Hargreaves, Hamilton, Kruis, now Burger. Romaine/Claffey/Gallagher would play with Marshall, Qualter, Browne who barely played rugby last season, even Roux. I know we are the poor relation of rugby, but we're gonna compete in the same ChampionsCup. Come on guys, let's be serious, we lost McCarthy, Clarke, Kearney, Swifty, we are just desperatly weak for 2nd row with a 23 y.o Dillane as our best reference

Really want to compare both situations? Itoje plays among the most experienced : Alistair Hargreaves, Hamilton, Kruis, now Burger. Romaine/Claffey/Gallagher would play with Marshall, Qualter, Browne who barely played rugby last season, even Roux. I know we are the poor relation of rugby, but we're gonna compete in the same ChampionsCup. Come on guys, let's be serious, we lost McCarthy, Clarke, Kearney, Swifty, we are just desperatly weak for 2nd row with a 23 y.o Dillane as our best reference

Only second row we've list over the summer is muldowney.

By using everyone there as examples is a bit of a red herring to your argument.

We don't have any senior locks for sure but Dillane, Browne, Roux are great talents. Marshall showed in the little he played he'll be good. And more than able to mix it with the best

Eventually these players have to prove they are worth their spot. I think they are BTW and I trust Pats ability to get the best out of everyone and to tailor a game to suit his players of all abilities.

Connachta, who's going to pay for this NIQ second row, that you want to come from a Super Rugby playoff team, and therefore will command a very big salary? We're not made of money, we still have the smallest budget of any of the provinces. To quote yourself, let's be serious. We have 5 senior locks plus SOB plus academy options, that's as many as the other provinces have. The likelihood at this stage of a NIQ signing is quite low. You need to reset your expectations.

Connachta, who's going to pay for this NIQ second row, that you want to come from a Super Rugby playoff team, and therefore will command a very big salary? We're not made of money, we still have the smallest budget of any of the provinces. To quote yourself, let's be serious. We have 5 senior locks plus SOB plus academy options, that's as many as the other provinces have. The likelihood at this stage of a NIQ signing is quite low. You need to reset your expectations.

Naoupu covered 2nd row two, and on decent money. I want this money on a same kind of player, just more a 5 than a n 8. And please don't say Kelleher, Robb, Carey, McCoy are on higher money than Carr, Finn, AhYou, Muldowney, all released. The only "spending" for now is Boshoff instead of McGinty

I deeply think we have the room for a good senior lock, if not a Super Rugby one, at least a solid ITMCup one

• Advertisement

Chiefs are gone from the play offs lets sign Brodie Retallick, just imagine him and Dillane together on the field at the same time

Aofgiru.jpg

5 senior locks?
    Dillane and Marshall have 20 caps each in all their career, half on the bench. Qualter has 6, never starts. Roux was mostly a sub in S-A, Leinster and Connacht too

So, no we haven't enough to face Toulouse and Wasps. Talented they might be, but this talent needs a good journeyman, like Muldowney was, to be expressed/completed
    Look I'm not greedy, Rowland wasn't that needed, and I think we're ok at n 8 despite Masterson injury/Naoupu gone. But IMO we're incredibly light for locks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Naoupu covered 2nd row two, and on decent money. I want this money on a same kind of player, just more a 5 than a n 8. And please don't say Kelleher, Robb, Carey, McCoy are on higher money than Carr, Finn, AhYou, Muldowney, all released. The only "spending" for now is Boshoff instead of McGinty

I deeply think we have the room for a giood senior lock, if not a Super Rugby one, at least a solid ITMCup one

Connachta, there is a sh!t load of contracts up end of this season
    After the success we had their agents are rightly gonna be asking for a fatter pay cheque.
    Lam has always talked about him wanting Connacht to be sustainable long term- splashing out on a marquee SR would be amazing but it is pretty unrealistic

I deeply think we have the room for a good senior lock, if not a Super Rugby one, at least a solid ITMCup one

Boshoff will be on a lot more money than McGinty was. We also need to hold some money back for contract renewals next season - if Aki stays he will be on a telephone number salary and the IRFU won't cover all of it, indeed may not cover any of it til he actually plays for Ireland. We're also trying to progress ground improvements which may include buying IGB out of their lease, but will certainly include capital spending. Sure forget about all that, let's just blow the lot now on a second row.... :rolleyes:

wp_rathead wrote: »

I deeply think we have the room for a giood senior lock, if not a Super Rugby one, at least a solid ITMCup one

Connachta, there is a sh!t load of contracts up end of this season
    After the success we had their agents are rightly gonna be asking for a fatter pay cheque.
    Lam has always talked about him wanting Connacht to be sustainable long term- splashing out on a marquee SR would be amazing but it is pretty unrealistic

if we can't have a 'marquee" one, a good 30 years old ITM will hold the house. Better than a U20 inside an already young engine room. sorry to downsize the input of the Academy guys, I just think they are in year 1 and need 2 or 3 years to be in a senior squad

• Advertisement

I say you might be setting yourself up for a breakdown Connachta
    It's getting late in the pre-season, and there hasn't been any rumor of a NIQ lock being signed (apart from Porterbelly(?) I think at the start of the summer)

Anyway, if Pat thinks we're ok
    Or, if it's not possible to get someone in - Probably the main cause
    Then, we just have to get on with it.

I'd still love to see more players come in, but I'm not expecting any more signings this summer, or at least not any players we'd expect to see come straight into the team

Boshoff will be on a lot more money than McGinty was. We also need to hold some money back for contract renewals next season - if Aki stays he will be on a telephone number salary and the IRFU won't cover all of it, indeed may not cover any of it til he actually plays for Ireland. We're also trying to progress ground improvements which may include buying IGB out of their lease, but will certainly include capital spending. Sure forget about all that, let's just blow the lot now on a second row.... :rolleyes:

We released Harris-Wright too. About Aki, I think he should be straight on a central contract next season (IQ), as Henshaw should have been to lower our budget

Anyway if we can't afford one last signing (a financial nightmare), I claim the money, even low, should have been placed on a ITM Lock instead of Rowland or Kelleher

Anyway if we can't afford one last signing (a financial nightmare), I claim the money, even low, should have been placed on a ITM Lock instead of Rowland or Kelleher

Which lock are you looking for, is there any available who fit the bill?

Sorry, but where do you think all this money is coming from?
    You listed all the players leaving. How many of them do you think were on decent money?

I think you're making a lot of assumptions regarding Connachts finances.
    I have a lot more faith in the people in charge, who make these decisions, than a voice on the internet.

Do you think Pat Lam and the management team looked at the squad, and thought, this is it. There's no rugby players out there, who could improve this squad? I dont think so.
    I'm sure he looked around, saw what he thought were positions that we could strengthen, and then looked at the finances, and added to the squad as best they could
    You also have to consider the fact, that coming to play for Connacht might still not be an attractive idea to a lot of rugby players. Good NIQ can move to France or England, and get paid a lot more than they do here.

For some reason, I doubt Connacht have too much money, just sitting in an account, not been used.
    Whatever money they may have, I'm sure has been ear-marked for other expenses

i.e.
    Contract extensions for people like Bundee, Tom, etc.
    Improvement to Sportsground
    Paying wages

Which lock are you looking for, is there any available who fit the bill?

Josh Bekhuis just signed by Lyon, Mark Reddish by Quins and Joe Wheeler, off to Japan (for money indeed) were the perfect journeymen examples, but there is also (still available AFAIK) HOANI MATENGA (29) from the Blues where Lam is from.

At ITM level, with experience, you have Fraser Stone, Shane Neville in division 1

Josh Bekhuis just signed by Lyon, Mark Reddish by Quins and Joe Wheeler, off to Japan (for money indeed) were the perfect journeymen examples, but there is also (still available AFAIK) HOANI MATENGA (29) from the Blues where Lam is from.

At ITM level, with experience, you have Fraser Stone, Shane Neville in division 1

So Haoni Matenga? If the others have signed contracts they aren't available...

I don't know anything about him what would he bring to Connacht apart from playing in super rugby?

So Haoni Matenga? If the others have signed contracts they aren't available...

I don't know anything about him what would he bring to Connacht apart from playing in super rugby?

ITM is over in October, we can sign one of them after like we did for Aki/McCartney, can't we?, which will lower the wage burden for 2 months BTW

ITM is over in October, we can sign one of them after like we did for Aki/McCartney, can't we?, which will lower the wage burden for 2 months BTW

But what are they bringing talent wise? What specific areas will they improve apart from depth. Are you saying they are Better than all our possible starting locks?

Just to be clear; this is all hypothetical, there's no indication that anyone is being signed?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement