Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

But what are they bringing talent wise? What specific areas will they improve apart from depth. Are you saying they are Better than all our possible starting locks?

I Said yes depth matters when you play ChampionsCup
    I'm convinced one of them is need because of injuries/Irish calls. We can't rely on luck. Lam's squad is all right except that area of weakness
    I don't want an All-Black lock, we can afford him, just someone who will be more consistent than a U20. Muldowney/Naoupu played that part. One of Roux/Marshall may step up fast-tracking Aly, but we still need one other guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

connachta wrote: »
    I Said yes depth matters when you play ChampionsCup
    I'm convinced one of them is need because of injuries/Irish calls. We can't rely on luck. Lam's squad is all right except that area of weakness
    I don't want an All-Black lock, we can afford him, just someone who will be more consistent than a U20. Muldowney/Naoupu played that part. One of Roux/Marshall may step up fast-tracking Aly, but we still need one other guy

An NIQ spot can't be used on someone who isn't a guaranteed starter it'd be a waste of money. So the depth argument doesn't hold water.

Yeah all this is completely hypothetical

nothing sparkling but consistency : ITM cup final, 9 months ago, Matenga
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBaTkGC4lQM
    (minutes of the video, not the gametime)
    1:43 (carrying)
    5:32 (carrying)
    8:51 (skip-pass)
    9:23 (picked dropped ball and run)
    9:48 (offensive tackle)
    13:15 (offensive tackle and player released)
    22:50 (support)
    24:39 (lineout catch)
    27:18 (succesful contest)
    46:00 (kick-off catch and offload)
    52:09 (acting scrum-half)
    53:45 (earning a pen with lineout contest)
    54:30 (winning the lineout properly)
    1:04:51 (ruck protection)
    1:07:30 (lineout catch)
    1:07:45 (pick and go)
    1:10:52 (charged a clearence kick)
    1:18:15 (good tackle)
    1:19:11 (again)
    1:29:38 (run and passing game)

Once more, nothing spectacular but clean game which would make him fight for a bench spot at the very least. Depth and quality. And not afraid coming in Europe on reasonable budget (Mont de Marsan Prod2 2011)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I do think we are light at lock. When you consider that Dillane is going to miss a big chunk of the season between Autumn internationals and the 6 Nations and then look at what's left it's not pretty. Especially if you pick up and injury two which you definitely will in that position. We could be looking at a major drop off from having one of the best pair of locks combined in the league last season. Not ideal when you have Champions Cup rugby as well. Muldowney was so important last season I thought his replacement would be priority number one to be honest. But sure let's see what happens I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

has a ground share with Galway United ever been considered? Id say you could easily get that up to 10k and it has an unreal pitch which would suit connachts style of rugby. They've just done up their changing rooms as well so they're all really good just put stands behind the goals and lengthen the pitch a bit and hey presto a really nice little ground in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

D14Rugby wrote: »
    has a ground share with Galway United ever been considered? Id say you could easily get that up to 10k and it has an unreal pitch which would suit connachts style of rugby. They've just done up their changing rooms as well so they're all really good just put stands behind the goals and lengthen the pitch a bit and hey presto a really nice little ground in Galway.
    Im sure it has but it isn't going to happen.
    I really doubt you could virtually double the capacity of Eamon Deacy Park to 10000. If they were to ground share it would have to be a new pitch in new site

Im sure it has but it isn't going to happen.
    I really doubt you could virtually double the capacity of Eamon Deacy Park to 10000. If they were to ground share it would have to be a new pitch in new site

I dont think it would be too hard to do extend the new stand the length of the pitch, put stands at each end and if thats not enough turn the old stand into a terrace it'd be a cracking little ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I herd that they recently got a bar license up there which is big plus. Pitch would need to be lengthened a bit. Temporary stand could be added behind the goals as needed. It's owned by the Galway Branch of the FAI as far as I know. I'm sure they would have no problem renting the place out but changes like lengthening the pitch would require investment from the IRFU / Connacht Rugby. They might need to do something about Parking there as well if they are going to 5,000 on a regular basis.
    The surface is immaculate up there also. I'm sure the grounds keeping staff wont be too happy about having scrums on in December, January, February.

I dont think it would be too hard to do extend the new stand the length of the pitch, put stands at each end and if thats not enough turn the old stand into a terrace it'd be a cracking little ground
    There isn't enough room to do it. There isn't parking or enough room for other facilities. Access to ground if you doubled capacity would be a nightmare with so much extra traffic on the dyke road

• Advertisement

I herd that they recently got a bar license up there which is big plus. Pitch would need to be lengthened a bit. Temporary stand could be added behind the goals as needed. It's owned by the Galway Branch of the FAI as far as I know. I'm sure they would have no problem renting the place out but changes like lengthening the pitch would require investment from the IRFU / Connacht Rugby. They might need to do something about Parking there as well if they are going to 5,000 on a regular basis.
    The surface is immaculate up there also. I'm sure the grounds keeping staff wont be too happy about having scrums on in December, January, February.

LOI is a summer league so they wouldn't be too bothered about the scrums. Looking on google earth theres a car park behind one end but if you lengthen the pitch in that direction and put a stand there then buy the field across the road and put the car park there it would be perfect.
    Right where do i sign up to become a connacht rugby board member I've this all sorted

There isn't enough room to do it. There isn't parking or enough room for other facilities. Access to ground if you doubled capacity would be a nightmare with so much extra traffic on the dyke road

Widen the road then and put an exit off the N6 for it (think thats the road). Its a stadium without a track around it with all the basics the other problems are just minor ones and with a bit of creative thinking could easily be worked around

Widen the road then and put an exit off the N6 for it (think thats the road). Its a stadium without a track around it with all the basics the other problems are just minor ones and with a bit of creative thinking could easily be worked around
    There is in no way enough room to widen the dyke road and put an exit onto it.
    There isn't enough room on that site for what you are looking for.
    The site is a bottleneck to get out of in its current state and a proposal to significantly expand it wouldn't get accepted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

:eek: Who's going to pay for all that?!

:eek: Who's going to pay for all that?!

I'm sure between the IRFU/Connacht Rugby, Galway football, Galway council and the government they could come up with the money especially if this replaced the one they want to build on the docks or wherever the latest rumour for it to be is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I'm sure between the IRFU/Connacht Rugby, Galway football, Galway council and the government they could come up with the money especially if this replaced the one they want to build on the docks or wherever the latest rumour for it to be is.

that road would cost more than any stadium revamp. The dyke road is basically marshes to either side would need serious underpinning! let alone the houses that are on the roads edge just up from the stadium.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I can see why you might think its feasible looking at a map but the road layout around there just doesnt allow it. The N6 at that point is a raised road with a very tight and low 'tunnel' under it heading up to the Pitch. THat and the fact that it can be one of the worst traffic blackspots in the evening just doesn't make it feasible.There's a ridiculously tight bridge just before the pitch as well. Further up the road is residential so there's no option to widen it.
    As for the field across the road, Id hate to think what that would actually cost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Like others have said, the site is far too tight. To incorporate the in-goal areas alone would entail taking most of the car park, with no room for a stand/terrace. Even extending the stands along both sides wouldn't even bring it up to the current capacity of the Sportsground. The only feasible way to do it would be to CPO some of the field opposite in order to extend, knock the clubhouse, reroute the Dyke Road westwards, build a new bridge over the Terryland River, and not alone would this be prohibitively expensive, but you'd still have no parking, poor access roads, and no room for other facilities like gym, training pitch, admin offices, etc.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I can see why you might think its feasible looking at a map but the road layout around there just doesnt allow it. The N6 at that point is a raised road with a very tight and low 'tunnel' under it heading up to the Pitch. THat and the fact that it can be one of the worst traffic blackspots in the evening just doesn't make it feasible.There's a ridiculously tight bridge just before the pitch as well. Further up the road is residential so there's no option to widen it.
    As for the field across the road, Id hate to think what that would actually cost

True ive only ever been to the stadium once or twice and don't live in Galway so don't know the area so I just saw a stadium with the basis of a cracking little ground with no track around it and potential expansion either end. Is the access/ potential access (I notice there's an empty housing plot that would be a good entrance/exit) really that much worse than the showgrounds?

True ive only ever been to the stadium once or twice and don't live in Galway so don't know the area so I just saw a stadium with the basis of a cracking little ground with no track around it and potential expansion either end. Is the access/ potential access (I notice there's an empty housing plot that would be a good entrance/exit) really that much worse than the showgrounds?

Yes, far worse. Further from city centre, no bus route, no parking, narrow road with a one-car only bottleneck bridge and a low bridge to go under so larger vehicle access from one direction only. Also, I think the plot you're referring to is a green area in a private housing development.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Gotta love today's missive to Season Ticket holders. Apparently we've access to a "no-holes-barred" training session on August 26th. Saucy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Robbo wrote: »
    Gotta love today's missive to Season Ticket holders. Apparently we've access to a "no-holes-barred" training session on August 26th. Saucy.

Did it actually say that?! :pac:

Yep!
    Season Ticket Holder's Event - Save The Date
    We are delighted to advise you that as a Season Ticket Holder you are invited to an exclusive Season Ticket Holder's event at the Sportsground on Friday the 26th of August at 4pm. You will have exclusive access to watch the team in a no-holes-barred training session as they compete for a place in the opening game of the season against Glasgow Warriors the following week. You will be joined by the team and management after the game for a questions and answers session. An invitation confirming times and how to access the event will be emailed to you in the coming week.

108378.jpg

I think what they really meant was - "No matter how small the hole, Bundee's going through it!"

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Is Vince McMahon writing the invites for connacht season ticket holders ? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Strictly over-18's only

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

if we can't have a 'marquee" one, a good 30 years old ITM will hold the house. Better than a U20 inside an already young engine room. sorry to downsize the input of the Academy guys, I just think they are in year 1 and need 2 or 3 years to be in a senior squad

You can have Triggs

stephen_n wrote: »
    if we can't have a 'marquee" one, a good 30 years old ITM will hold the house. Better than a U20 inside an already young engine room. sorry to downsize the input of the Academy guys, I just think they are in year 1 and need 2 or 3 years to be in a senior squad

You can have Triggs

no, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

You have spent the last few pages essentially asking for Connacht to sign locks of a lower calibre/standard. But whatever.

Hagz wrote: »
    You have spent the last few pages essentially asking for Connacht to sign locks of a lower calibre/standard. But whatever.

28-30 y.o decent lock yes. not a 34 and a half coming from a disappointing time in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

connachta, Hayden Triggs has played 64 Super Rugby games and over a 100 ITM games - he is exactly the kind of player you've been advocating we sign over the last few pages

No I asked for a current ITM Cup guy, on the fringe of super rugby maybe, like McCartney/Matamua were. Not very famous/expensive but who can provide some quality 80 min shifts, spread on the whole season or 2 (time needed for our Academy lads to step up bit by bit). Triggs was clearly on the decline this spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I can't recall any signing being announced this late so would be surprised if it happens. There must be some confidence that the academy guys Romaine, Claffey or Gallagher can do a job if needed.

Have been very impressed with Gallagher every time I've seen him, future international I think, still very young for senior rugby though, especially in the 2nd or back row.

Possible that they think SOB 2.0 can perform in the row too, though think he's a 6 personally.

It's a pity we couldn't keep Naoupu really, he did well when called upon last season. Will be interesting to see how much game time Qualter gets this season too, didn't get a lot last season but impressed when he played.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Possible that they think SOB 2.0 can perform in the row too, though think he's a 6 personally.

It's a pity we couldn't keep Naoupu really, he did well when called upon last season. Will be interesting to see how much game time Qualter gets this season too, didn't get a lot last season but impressed when he played.

SOB is too small too thin for a lock
    And I watched again this afternoon Qualter's game against Ospreys. Which is considered as a good one for him, but when you look closer, he's outsped as soon as the rythm is accelerated (2 costly missed tackles, 1 knock-on on the tryline)

And what I see is
    Dillane will be absent for 9-10 weeks with Joe (at best, including rest time but no injuries)
    Even if Roux isn't capped, you can reasonably expect one of Browne/Marshall/Quinn will be unavaible because of a knock/injury
    Which means, except with unlikely luck, one of Qualter/SOB/U20 guy will have to play several games in 2nd row, on the bench in the best case
    And I'm not happy with that. Opposition will make us pay one single weak area. Connacht won this year because they had none, not because they had exceptional players (except Bundee, right)

According to stats online, SOB is 6'4 and 108kg. Mick Kearney is an inch taller and Hayden Triggs is the same weight. O'Brien may fill out a little more too considering he's 22 and has had some lengthy injury periods. Of course it would be better if he was an inch or two taller if playing him in the second row but I don't think it automatically disqualifies him at all.

I agree with you that a 2nd row would have been a welcome addition but considering it's so unlikely at this stage I am happy to trust the coaching ticket. They have earned it after all!

ClanofLams wrote: »
    According to stats online, SOB is 6'4 and 108kg. Mick Kearney is an inch taller and Hayden Triggs is the same weight. O'Brien may fill out a little more too considering he's 22 and has had some lengthy injury periods. Of course it would be better if he was an inch or two taller if playing him in the second row but I don't think it automatically disqualifies him at all.

I agree with you that a 2nd row would have been a welcome addition but considering it's so unlikely at this stage I am happy to trust the coaching ticket. They have earned it after all!

You need to compare to Muldowney, Toner, Itoje (the latter is not that heavy/tall indeed) etc. And height can't be added except a wee bit with intensive swimming sessions maybe :D .
    You're right to say it's not a pure catastrophe if nobody comes ; but even if Leader has another period post-surgery, I still question the signing of both Rowland and Kelleher instead of just one of them + a second row on the same money.

The explanation may be simple : there's none available. If you look on the previous page, 3 N-Z lock I quoted are already signed in France/Japan, maybe the few others are on the verge to be (re)-signed too...Add to the picture the IQ locks on the market having chosen England again (Sexton, Flannagan, Sheriff) or Munster/Leinster (Darren O'Shea, Ian Nagle).

That would explain why Lam didn't say recruitement was over. He may be just trying his best until the last deadline possible, with the little money he has.

SOB too thin! I've heard it all now...

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

So what are people hoping for from this season? Personally I think top 4 position in the pro12 and getting out of the group stages of the Champions Cup would be a fantastic season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I'd be satisfied with top 6 and being competitive in Europe. (I'd say about 60% chance)
    Top 4 would be fantastic. (I'd say about 30% chance)
    Knock outs in Europe would be just divine. (I'd say about 22% chance)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

blackhound wrote: »
    So what are people hoping for from this season? Personally I think top 4 position in the pro12 and getting out of the group stages of the Champions Cup would be a fantastic season.

If we don't win the Pro12, Champions Cup, Super Rugby and the Olympic 7s the season will be a complete failure in my eyes!

b.gud wrote: »
    blackhound wrote: »

If we don't win the Pro12, Champions Cup, Super Rugby and the Olympic 7s the season will be a complete failure in my eyes!

Indeed 7's is Lam's target, as he prefered wingers to locks

For those still optimistic for ChampionsCup, LeRoux just signed for Wasps. More caps than the entire Connacht team.

For those still optimistic for ChampionsCup, LeRoux just signed for Wasps. More caps than the entire Connacht team.

So does Zane Kirchner.

Connacht showed last season that teams with more recognised names don't automatically win. Not even a pre season game played yet, bit early to be getting pessimistic!

Indeed 7's is Lam's target, as he prefered wingers to locks

I'm buying a car at the minute. What I want is a new 2.0 litre 300 bhp Golf type R what I'm most likely getting is a 2nd hand Lexus hybrid which is the best option available to me within my budget.

I'm sure Lam would love to recruit a lock but maybe he feels what is available to him isn't the right fit for us

The le Roux signing is unlikely to affect Connacht as he's not arriving until after the Japanese season.

• Advertisement

The le Roux signing is unlikely to affect Connacht as he's not arriving until after the Japanese season.

Plus his form lately hasn't exactly been immense.

Harris-Wright joins London Irish http://www.london-irish.com/news/london-irish-augments-squad-as-start-of-season-draws-near/bp975/

*Edit hadn't realised Lost Sheep posted this in the General Rugby thread, but it's probably good to show it here anyway as a lot of Connacht fans will be interested to see where he ends up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Brilliant
    Delighted for him, with a fully fit squad I would have had him on bench behind only Tom
    Here's hoping Fionn and the rest find a club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Heading down to check out the facilities. Could there be something in the works?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement