Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Heading down to check out the facilities. Could there be something in the works?

A couple of million would make it a very nice place to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    But access would still be ****e and that's a major issue for the ground regardless of anything else and Sportsground is still much better option.

But access would still be ****e and that's a major issue for the ground regardless of anything else and Sportsground is still much better option.

I agree. Pity the dogs wouldn't move to Eamonn Deacy park.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Personally I think all Connacht fans should become environmentally conscious and lobby their TDs for this kind of ban :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Thats what I think and with some creative thinking you could probably solve the access issues for it and with some very creative thinking you could probably do it quite cheaply too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Boshoff out until October (concussed). Hope he'll make it for ChampionsCup

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Thats what I think and with some creative thinking you could probably solve the access issues for it and with some very creative thinking you could probably do it quite cheaply too

I'd rather they'd jsut get creative at the Sportsground TBH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

connachta wrote: »
    Boshoff out until October (concussed). Hope he'll make it for ChampionsCup

They're predicting him to be out for 2+ months for a concussion? Has he had concussion problems in the past?

Bazzo wrote: »
    They're predicting him to be out for 2+ months for a concussion? Has he had concussion problems in the past?

That is a very long time for concussion. Maybe the info is off ?

Hope it's a precaution to avoid Clarke scenario

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It's only from Twitter, not confirmed at all.

was concussed recently anyway. Ronaldson back to outhalf!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

That is a very long time for concussion. Maybe the info is off ?

Patrick Lambie is still out after the Stander incident so not unheard of.

Patrick Lambie is still out after the Stander incident so not unheard of.

Very much not the norm though. It would be highly unusual to predict a player to miss 2+ months after a concussion unless there's a history

Very much not the norm though. It would be highly unusual to predict a player to miss 2+ months after a concussion unless there's a history

Sexton too missed 3 months with Racing. Getting a time frame so soon on a concussion is strange especially if it is 2+ months.

Sexton too missed 3 months with Racing. Getting a time frame so soon on a concussion is strange especially if it is 2+ months.
    not that soon, the (1st?) concussion happened a month ago..

connachta wrote: »
    not that soon, the (1st?) concussion happened a month ago..

Ah I see sorry I thought it was just the one. If he had one so soon and is showing symptoms it's better safe than sorry. As said before hope it doesn't turn into a Craig Clarke type thing.

If it gets confirmed will he come here early then ? If he's not going to be playing for the Lions for 10 weeks he would be better off in galway feeling out the players and place.

Why would they move? Location is super and it would have to be a very very good deal to get them to move from College Road
    its_phil wrote: »
    But how creative would you like to get at the Sportsground?

• Advertisement

Why would they move? Location is super and it would have to be a very very good deal to get them to move from College Road

No its in a perfect position. I would rather stay in the Sportsground. Leave the Clan where it is. Build a big stand opposite with top of the range facilities. Covered terraces at each end.

No its in a perfect position. I would rather stay in the Sportsground. Leave the Clan where it is. Build a big stand opposite with top of the range facilities. Covered terraces at each end.

I hope I'm not putting words in his or her mouth but I believe the lost sheep was saying why would the dogs move down to Eamon Deacy Park which was what another poster suggested.

The perfect position he/she was referring to was the same as you are just from the igb point of view

b.gud wrote: »
    I hope I'm not putting words in his or her mouth but I believe the lost sheep was saying why would the dogs move down to Eamon Deacy Park which was what another poster suggested.

The perfect position he/she was referring to was the same as you are just from the igb point of view
    Yeah. That's what I was trying to say. Facecuttr you were going about dogs moving to terryland but why would they move to there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't think any poster suggested that the dogs should move to Terryland.

its_phil wrote: »

That would obviously be the first choice and then a purpose built stadium second I was only suggesting eamonn deacy as a cheap option.
    Aparently though there was a lot of congestion getting there today at that was with less than 4,000 there but still i think with some clever thinking that could be fixed

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »

Eamonn Deacy park is Terryland

Eamon Deacy Park is Terryland. Look at Facecuttrs post..
    That would obviously be the first choice and then a purpose built stadium second I was only suggesting eamonn deacy as a cheap option.
    Aparently though there was a lot of congestion getting there today at that was with less than 4,000 there but still i think with some clever thinking that could be fixed
    Eamon Deacy Park wouldn't be a cheap option and what clever thinking would fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

He didn't say the dogs should move to Eamonn Deacy Park.

It's a pity Leinster won't let me pick the starting XV each week.

See?

Yeah. That's what I was trying to say. Facecuttr you were going about dogs moving to terryland but why would they move to there?

No I was just being greedy and want them out of the SG so it could be properly developed. I couldn't care less if they went 50 miles off the coast. The location is perfect for them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

• Advertisement

No I was just being greedy and want them out of the SG so it could be properly developed. I couldn't care less if they went 50 miles off the coast. The location is perfect for them too.
    But it will take a very good and realistic deal to get the dogs out of SG because the location is even more important for them. Connacht could do fine in other locations but I don't see the dogs doing that well if they moved out. They struggle enough a lot for crowds as it is....

But it will take a very good and realistic deal to get the dogs out of SG because the location is even more important for them. Connacht could do fine in other locations but I don't see the dogs doing that well if they moved out. They struggle enough a lot for crowds as it is....

They don't do well anyway. It's not as popular as it used to be.

They don't do well anyway. It's not as popular as it used to be.
    And that's why College Road and the Sportsground its even more vital for them to stay there. Any redevelopment has to cater for the dogs in some form or another or buy them out completely and that would take a very big deal

And that's why College Road and the Sportsground its even more vital for them to stay there. Any redevelopment has to cater for the dogs in some form or another or buy them out completely and that would take a very big deal

I completely agree. I definitely think a shared stadium with Galway UTD would be the best as both seasons are at different times and the extra cash injection would help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

He didn't say the dogs should move to Eamonn Deacy Park.

It's a pity Leinster won't let me pick the starting XV each week.

See?

A bit cocky, aren't ya, thinking you should pick the Leinster team... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

I completely agree. I definitely think a shared stadium with Galway UTD would be the best as both seasons are at different times and the extra cash injection would help.
    GUFC have no reason to move. Terryland is the perfect size for them and Connacht would need at least 10k. GUFC playing in a 10k stadium would mean no atmosphere at all. Connacht moving to Terryland is a definite non-runner too for too many reasons.

Eamon Deacy Park is Terryland. Look at Facecuttrs post..

Eamon Deacy Park wouldn't be a cheap option and what clever thinking would fix it?

It would be cheaper than building a whole new stadium. I don't know I'm not a planner for the council but look at Tolka Park for example they've had crowds of 10k in there in the early 2000's and there's only one access road for there.
    Personally if I were in charge just from looking at maps I would run a busses from popular places in thew city to the ground and back after (Train station,city centre...) more busses and locations for the bigger games. I would then put a few car parks around the stadium, one to south of stadium one to north and more if needed. Then for physical stadium access theres an empty house plot at the carpark end of the ground so I'd put an entrance there as there seems to be a path from the N6 to nearly that spot so only a few houses would be affected and they could be compensated with tickets.
    As I said Eamonn Deacy isn't and shouldn't be the first choice and is far from ideal but if it had to be used it could be done and would make a very nice little ground

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    GUFC have no reason to move. Terryland is the perfect size for them and Connacht would need at least 10k. GUFC playing in a 10k stadium would mean no atmosphere at all. Connacht moving to Terryland is a definite non-runner too for too many reasons.

True the atmosphere would be awful. It will be tough to develop either of the grounds in their locations.

It would be cheaper than building a whole new stadium. I don't know I'm not a planner for the council but look at Tolka Park for example they've had crowds of 10k in there in the early 2000's and there's only one access road for there.
    Personally if I were in charge just from looking at maps I would run a busses from popular places in thew city to the ground and back after (Train station,city centre...) more busses and locations for the bigger games. I would then put a few car parks around the stadium, one to south of stadium one to north and more if needed. Then for physical stadium access theres an empty house plot at the carpark end of the ground so I'd put an entrance there as there seems to be a path from the N6 to nearly that spot so only a few houses would be affected and they could be compensated with tickets.
    As I said Eamonn Deacy isn't and shouldn't be the first choice and is far from ideal but if it had to be used it could be done and would make a very nice little ground
    Tolka Park is different. Terryland Park has one little road in terms of access. Has the N6 very close to the ground
    Running busses is awkward and where would you be putting these car parks near the stadium. Eamon Deacy isn't in any way a realistic venue. Road access is ****e and the alterations to the site and cramped nature of site would make it expensive.
    Car Parks around the stadium wouldn't be needed as the university is close by but traffic would be a big problem with a doubling of capacity as the quincintennial bridge is already bonkers as busy times and game time would be crazy for traffic.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Tolka Park has about 20 bus routes leaving you within 200m-500m walk to the ground and a load of side street parking in the same distances from the ground. Its on one Road but you can access the ground from 3 different directions.

• Advertisement

Eamonn Deacy park looks like a non runner with the capacity and access issues and the amount of work needed to do. The Sports ground is situated perfectly but my only issue is the dogs and I'm not sure how we develop that with a sand track surrounding the pitch that will be fit for both purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Eamonn Deacy Park is a very good ground by LOI standards but not suitable for a ground share IMO. The access to the ground is not great and that's with crowds of just over a 1,000 usually. Imagine crowds of 3 or 4,000+ trying to get up there? Would be a nightmare.

Having found myself in the empty fields around Terryland park a few times for... reasons... I can tell you all the unused ground there is basically a bog and would be an enormous pain in the ass, and very expensive, to build on.

Having found myself in the empty fields around Terryland park a few times for... reasons... I can tell you all the unused ground there is basically a bog and would be an enormous pain in the ass, and very expensive, to build on.

Reasons...
    You have to tell us all now what these reasons were !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Bazzo was on the Wazzo

Nothing as exciting as your imaginations are suggesting I'm sure :D I wouldn't advise trying to invent your own shortcut with a scatter of pints on board. No excuse for being dumb enough to try it a second time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

Jason Harris-Wright has signed for London Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

We've signed Lewis Stevenson. I'll be honest I know nothing about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

evil_seed wrote: »
    We've signed Lewis Stephenson. I'll be honest I know nothing about him

Used to play for Ulster. No better than what we have. Squad filler at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Used to play for Ulster. No better than what we have. Squad filler at best.

He's a useful player to have in the squad considering how thin we are and more importantly cheap.

Looks like Browne will be filling the muldowney role

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement