Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Who's gonna break the news to connachta?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Good signing IMO. Was definitely needed and won't have cost a whole lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Well lads, ye got yeer lock! Happy?

39 man squad are off to France for a 1 week camp
    Backs (18)

Cormac Brennan, Cian Kelleher, Tiernan O’Halloran, Niyi Adeolokun, Matt Healy, Ed O’Keeffe, Danie Poolman, Josh Rowland, Bundee Aki, Eoin Griffin, Rory Parata, Peter Robb, Jack Carty, Shane O’Leary, Caolin Blade, Kieran Marmion, Conor McKeon, Conor Lowndes.

Forwards (21)

Dave Heffernan, Shane Delahunt, Tom McCartney, Finlay Bealham, Denis Buckley, Conor Carey, JP Cooney, Ronan Loughney, Saba Meunargia, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ivan Soroka*, JP Cooney, Sean O’Brien, Ultan Dillane, Danny Qualter, Cian Romaine, Lewis Stevenson, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Jake Heenan, Eoin McKeon, John Muldoon.

Irish players will train but won't play in the Montpellier match

The only noticeable absentees I can spot are Craig Ronaldson, Ben Marshall, Nathan White and James Connolly

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Ronaldson still injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Sean O'Brien listed with the second rows.

We have some amount of props at the minute.

Quite a few not traveling. I assume due to injuries or recovery plans.

The following are not traveling

Nathan White, Quin roux, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, James Connolly, Rory Moloney. Eoin Masterson, John Cooney, Craig Ronaldson, Dave McSharry, Darragh Leader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Gaffney still injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I've said it (not a surprise, I looked for any IQ lock for 2 months)
    Delighted.
    Squad completed

Well lads, ye got yeer lock! Happy?
    No I'm not :D

b.gud wrote: »
    Who's gonna break the news to connachta?
    Just seen it on facebook, recruitement wasn't over in the end, even in August was it? :D
    Experienced player, good to play 10 games mostly on the bench, low money. Lam has got his team
    Relief and dare I say reasonable optimism!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

connachta wrote: »
    YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES I've said it (not a surprise, I looked for any IQ lock for 2 months)
    Delighted.
    Squad completed

I'm not sure you know what IQ means?

You spent days and days arguing that a New Zealand lock was about to be announced once the Super Rugby season was over, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

And the announcement from Connacht doesn't say that recruitment is complete, therefore by your logic there must be more signings to follow.

Even more than two months, found my post dated 4th of June!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Safe to assume Louis Stevenson wont be player coach of Instonians now he's signed a contract with Connacht.

Delighted.
    Squad completed

I'm not sure you know what IQ means?

You spent days and days arguing that a New Zealand lock was about to be announced once the Super Rugby season was over, despite all the evidence to the contrary.

And the announcement from Connacht doesn't say that recruitment is complete, therefore by your logic there must be more signings to follow.

Hope there's one more to come but happy as it is.

I looked for IQ locks (Sheriff, Flannagan, O'Shea) before they signed elsewhere. Then as Lewis seemed released by Exeter, I thought (and still think) Lam was looking for a NIQ (we have at least one spot available with Naoupu gone).
    He did not find anyone on reasonable money, was convinced we can't play ChampionCup with 4 Senior lock, and wisely signed Lewis
    Good. Good

Hope there's one more to come but happy as it is.
    And just admit I was right 1) Lam agrees we needed a lock 2)we have signed one as late as we are, in August.

I looked for IQ locks (Sheriff, Flannagan, O'Shea) before they signed elsewhere. Then as Lewis seemed released by Exeter, I thought (and still think) Lam was looking for a NIQ (we have at least one spot available with Naoupu gone).
    He did not find anyone on reasonable money, was convinced we can't play ChampionCup with 4 Senior lock, and wisely signed Lewis
    Good. Good

Back in the real world...

I'm not sure about this signing at all.

Ulster were gripped by an injury crisis in the second row but were happy to cut him loose in the middle of the season. He played close to zero rugby for the Chiefs.

I suppose he's coming cheap as a break-glass-in-emergency lock but bit of a gamble.

Ulster were gripped by an injury crisis in the second row but were happy to cut him loose in the middle of the season. He played close to zero rugby for the Chiefs.

I suppose he's coming cheap as a break-glass-in-emergency lock but bit of a gamble.

He won't be n 1 for sure, an "average" IQ or ITM player available was enough with the money we have, and our international pairing Roux/Dillane. He's here to give us a solution if Marshall/Browne are injured again. And I'm hopeful his ponctual appearence is an improving solution compared to U20/Triggs/Qualter/Naoupu (who's not a real 2nd row)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yeah I wouldn't be expecting much from him. He had been named as player coach of Instonians for this season. I'd say he's coming for depth alone and likely wont feature much.

Cian Romaine gone to France with the squad this week, interesting to see how he kicks on this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I was just going to ask about Romaine. I think he's a great prospect. All this talk of signing another lock made me think he had gone.

He should definitely get game time ahead of this new signing.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I was just going to ask about Romaine. I think he's a great prospect. All this talk of signing another lock made me think he had gone.

He should definitely get game time ahead of this new signing.

Does he get much game time with buccs ?
    Could be anothere Dillane type of player.

• Advertisement

FFS Stevenson has got 89 caps with Ulster in the last 5 years, he's not perfect but not a nobody

2m01, a tall lock we needed to jump in the lineout
    1 Emerging Ireland cap
    32 y.o not 20 or 35
    He'll be more than ok to play 10 games on the bench ; And we'll be safer with him in case of multiple injuries than just Qualter and U20s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

He had some good games for Ulster a few years ago and then turned to crap for them for some reason. If Lam can get the earlier version of him then it's a good signing. If he plays like his final games for Ulster then it's a complete waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

FFS Stevenson has got 89 caps with Ulster in the last 5 years, he's not perfect but not a nobody

Ah will you stop digging? And stop being smug when you think you're proved right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

1 Emerging Ireland cap
    32 y.o not 20 or 35
    He'll be more than ok to play 10 games on the bench ; And we'll be safer with him in case of multiple injuries than just Qualter and U20s

Muldowneys career was average when he came to us

If anybody could motivate a player and give them confidence it would be Pat. Let's see how we go with him it's only a year contract.

Zzippy wrote: »

Ah will you stop digging? And stop being smug when you think you're proved right. Even a broken clock is right twice a day...

I'm not digging

1) was nearly alone to still hope the a new 2nd row
    2) talked about Stevenson on the 4th of June
    3) Claim having 89 caps gives hopes for Lam to have a decent bench solution

that's 3 times a day.
    But Zzippy I'm not smug, just happy with the signing and amazed how scornful other are toward him

gally74 wrote: »
    1 Emerging Ireland cap
    32 y.o not 20 or 35

Muldowneys career was average when he came to us

And Muldowney looked more like Lewis than an Academy boy

It's an alright signing. It's a Hayden Triggs type of signing.

Like I said, I hope Romaine gets quite a bit of game time and a lot of time with the senior squad this season. He's 21 this year, I think. Lots of talent. Could be a starter next season and an outside shot for RWC 2019.

• Advertisement

Romaine wasn't even starting for Eagles.. And I tend to trust Carolan, who does great stuff currently

Romaine wasn't even starting for Eagles.. And I tend to trust Carolan, who does great stuff currently

Romaine was always in the Eagles squad when fit, whether starting or coming on. He's a good young prospect. There's no need to be dismissive of him.

ClanofLams wrote: »

Romaine was always in the Eagles squad when fit, whether starting or coming on. He's a good young prospect. There's no need to be dismissive of him.

not "dismissive", just saying he was behind Nolan and Qualter. That's a sign, like it or not

still young though, we will see, probably not as soon as this year IMO

not "dismissive", just saying he was behind Nolan and Qualter. That's a sign, like it or not

When are you talking about? Nolan wasn't even with Connacht last season. In last seasons b&i cup Claffey Gallagher and Romaine were the three second rows mainly used.

When are you talking about? Nolan wasn't even with Connacht last season. In last seasons b&i cup Claffey Gallagher and Romaine were the three second rows mainly used.

Nolan wasn't a part of the Connacht squad but was involved in some training towards the end of the season and lined out for the Eagles in at least 1 match in the B&I cup

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    Nolan wasn't a part of the Connacht squad but was involved in some training towards the end of the season and lined out for the Eagles in at least 1 match in the B&I cup

Just checked online you are correct, Nolan played the last B&I cup game where Romaine came on. Romaine started two of the other games and came on in the other three. Would think Carolan might have been eager to give claffey and Gallagher as much game time as possible before the u20s.

Still a stretch to say Nolan was ahead of Romaine on the basis of that but anyway this is irrelevant now.

Would think Carolan might have been eager to give claffey and Gallagher as much game time as possible before the u20s.

That's why I chose this exemple. If it was "just" to give U20s some gametime, Nolan wouldn't have been picked ahead of Romaine.

Cian is a physical but not very mobile player. Work to do with him. Eagles this season in a starting position if he does well...

As for Stevenson, I've watched again, for the 2nd time since June, his apparences with Ulster
    Can turn into a penalty machine, but involved in defence, correct carrier, and very good lineout catcher, which is crucial for us IMO. If the coaches manage to improve his body positioning in the rucks, he should be a very valuable addition

Can turn into a penalty machine, but involved in defence, correct carrier, and very good lineout catcher, which is crucial for us IMO. If the coaches manage to improve his body positioning in the rucks, he should be a very valuable addition

So, Hayden Triggs?

So, Hayden Triggs?

Oh come on! Barely made a tackle in the end and 32 isn't the same as 34 and a half.
    But pure personnal provocation, so I just answer I'm ok with Lewis, so "Triggs to the west supporters" should be

Exeter fan " I personally think he did well, Can't comment about his involvement in Training but I thought he did a solid job on the pitch."

• Advertisement

So, Hayden Triggs?

Triggs is a bit rubbish and I wasn't delighted to see him kept on, but he must be doing something right if he earned another year.

On the other hand you have a guy who was cut loose by two different clubs in the space of five months and either didn't want or couldn't get another pro deal.

I dunno, it's not ideal.

That's why I chose this exemple. If it was "just" to give U20s some gametime, Nolan wouldn't have been picked ahead of Romaine.

Cian is a physical but not very mobile player. Work to do with him. Eagles this season in a starting position if he does well...

As for Stevenson, I've watched again, for the 2nd time since June, his apparences with Ulster

Saying Nolan was ahead of Romaine on the basis of one b&i game is ridiculous. Romaine may have been carrying a knock or anything - one game isn't sufficient evidence to state Nolan was ahead.

I have no wish to knock Stevenson but the harsh truth is that Ulster were happy to release him mid season when they were far from overflowing with locks and he would have been playing AIL this season but for Connacht.

It's unlikely he will have any bigger a role than Naoupu did last season, hopefully he can perform as well as George did when called upon.

Exeter had him as a cover. They didn't need him of lot, doesn't mean he wasn't ok
    That's all I ask from him. Giving a bit of competition for the bench. He may have had a bad season for Ulster but don't forget he was a starter 1 year ago. 32 y.o, he can still bounce back to be as decent as he used to be at least. Triggs won't IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Stevenson was fairly decent a few years back, would've been around wolfhounds standard but hasn't really done anything of note since, exept be compared to Brad Thorn by Ferris.

I would've thought he'd be one of the least suitable locks about for Connachts style of play though.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭hermano

Slightly off topic but when should the champions cup fixtures be confirmed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

hermano wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but when should the champions cup fixtures be confirmed?

This weekend

Exeter had him as a cover. They didn't need him of lot, doesn't mean he wasn't ok
    That's all I ask from him. Giving a bit of competition for the bench. He may have had a bad season for Ulster but don't forget he was a starter 1 year ago. 32 y.o, he can still bounce back to be as decent as he used to be at least. Triggs won't IMO

Triggs is a couple of years older but was at a much higher level to start with so his decline would bring him to Stevenson's standard :D

Triggs is a couple of years older but was at a much higher level to start with so his decline would bring him to Stevenson's standard :D

When I watch games of both since May 2015, I'm already happy with Lewis. We will see next season anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

SOB named at second row for tonight's game

Connacht team to face Montpellier, Thursday August 11th, Saint-Affrique, kick off 8pm (local time)

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Cormac Brennan
    10. Jack Carty
    9. Caolin Blade

1. Denis Buckley
    2. Dave Heffernan
    3. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    4. Sean O’Brien
    5. Danny Qualter
    6. Eoin McKeon
    7. Jake Heenan
    8. John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Tom McCartney, Ivan Soroka, Ronan Loughney, Saba Meunargia, JP Cooney, Cian Romaine, Lewis Stevenson, James Connolly, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Conor McKeon, Conor Lowndes, Shane O’Leary, Ed O’Keeffe, Peter Robb, Rory Parata, Josh Rowland.

*Danie Poolman was a late withdrawal from the squad due to a visa issue that prevented him from travelling.

Non-playing: Finlay Bealham, Conor Carey, Ultan Dillane, Kieran Marmion, Matt Healy, Tiernan O’Halloran

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hopefully everything gets sorted with Poolman's visa..

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement