Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

stephen_n wrote: »
    They are good writers, but more than half the articles I've read from the 42 are conjecture with no substance. Murray Kinsella does great analysis, but he also ventures into the "informed opinion" pieces, which like the link posted earlier, aren't informed by anything.

You're dead right. Like, it's an article speculating on the future destination of a key Connacht player and it doesn't even mention Leinster?! What's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Evil_g wrote: »
    The link posted earlier was informed by a recent, apparently exclusive, interview with Bundee given to a Galway based journalist. The same article was published by RTE.

What are you informed by?

“There is no deadline whatsoever. I just need to make sure I perform really well and continue on how I played last year and get better from there.”

The inference of the headline does not match the actual interview. The suggestion is that he is not in a rush to sign a new deal. The actual interview states that talks haven't even begun, would be a bit hard to make any decision on an offer that hasn't been made now wouldn't it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

stephen_n wrote: »
    “There is no deadline whatsoever. I just need to make sure I perform really well and continue on how I played last year and get better from there.”

The inference of the headline does not match the actual interview. The suggestion is that he is not in a rush to sign a new deal. The actual interview states that talks haven't even begun, would be a bit hard to make any decision on an offer that hasn't been made now wouldn't it.

Id say his agent has put some feelers out already. To either get him a money bags deal or just try and force his price up to remain in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Is it October next year that Aki qualifies for Ireland? But his Connacht contract expires end of this season? So he could move to France or UK and not be IQ or do I have this completely wrong?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Is it October next year that Aki qualifies for Ireland? But his Connacht contract expires end of this season? So he could move to France or UK and not be IQ or do I have this completely wrong?

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/connacht-debut-for-bundee-aki-against-ospreys-1.1982057

connacht debut was halloween 2014 so would assume so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Say he moves abroad and then returns to Ireland, I believe the 'clock' gets reset. Once you've been capped it doesn't matter.

Yes - so the IRFU have two choices;

1) Give a top-drawer contract to a guy who is not yet eligible for Ireland and (obviously) has never been tested at international level OR
    2) Try to "bridge" him with a 1-year provincial contract until he's actually IQ and has played a few games for the national squad.

Neither is ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

1) Give a top-drawer contract to a guy who is not yet eligible for Ireland and (obviously) has never been tested at international level OR
    2) Try to "bridge" him with a 1-year provincial contract until he's actually IQ and has played a few games for the national squad.

Neither is ideal.

I'd imagine it'll be similar to what happened with Payne he'll be offered a contract with his province, then if he comes in and performs on the test stage and Schmidt/Nucifora think he's worth it he'll be bumped up to a central contract after a year

Jake Heenan on twitter
    Thanks to everyone for your messages of support, wound is healing nicely and doesn't look like it'll be a major

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

John Mull is on Newstalk right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,414 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Neither is ideal.

They won't be able to compete with France or English clubs money wise so they need to sell the international end and things like player welfare lifestyle etc, not sure how that would go as obviously none of us know the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

John Muldoon just has talked on "off the ball". Interesting piece in which he highlights how aware they are other teams will study Connacht strategy, and then, the need to improve and slightly change it

Anyone know who this is at training today?

INPHO_01094687.jpg

Even the caption under it on the inpho site was just question marks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know who this is at training today?

INPHO_01094687.jpg

Even the caption under it on the inpho site was just question marks

Not a clue mate. Would be interested to know who he is.

Doesn't look like an Academy boy. Looks like a kiwi. Looks goooooooooood

Fox? Weird with beard but maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Don't think that is Fox anyway. It's mad none of us recognise him!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

connachta wrote: »
    Looks like a kiwi. Looks goooooooooood

Haha. Brilliant logic :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

That's Tampa Bay Buccaneers Wider Reviecer Mike Evans, obviously

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

latest?cb=20141209215625
    It's Hollywood actor Jeffrey Wright's brother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

he was wearing a helmet in France so I barely saw him

Stevenson is a wise choice. He started against Toulon 1 and a half years ago; there are reasons for that.
    He may have had an average season, but he's "only" 32, it isn't a physical decline. Coaches can turn him back to the decent player we need behind Roux/Dillane for the season

Exeter supporter, yesterday on their forum
    "Solid squad player. Great person to have on the training field and in the changing room.
    I'm a big fan."

Another one
    "off the field he's one of the nicest guys you'll meet. He described himself as being a 'tractor' but never gives less than 100%."

Love that smile.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I find it hard to believe that's Fox-Matamua. Doesn't look like him at all.

Hagz wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that's Fox-Matamua. Doesn't look like him at all.

I know, it's puzzling...

• Advertisement

So i decided to go back onto the inpho site to see if they had updated the caption to include a name and the photo is gone...........

lLxCoWM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

He was a really good player but that's for the best, the consequences of concussion are well known these days so can't justify the risk.

Will always remember this hit

http://www.balls.ie/rugby/vine-dave-mcsharry-puts-rob-kearney-on-his-arse/137401

The vine doesn't do it justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Number 137

If you look at the player profiles on the website, McSharry was the only player not pictured in the new jersey. The good news is Nathan White is wearing the new jersey. So he's good to go. Infallible logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Always shocked when I hear news like this. Puts everything in perspective. Best of luck to McSaz, great player that he was.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Was expecting this for all of last season but then got a bit optimistic when nothing had been announced by the summer.

In other less than optimal news, SOB2 on crutches again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Such a shame. He was knocking on the door for international recognition a few years back. I'll never forget that try he scored against Quins a few years ago at the SG! The line he took was straight out of the top drawer.

Sad for McShazz...
    But overall for those pessimistic saying the team is weakened compared to last year, your viewing of the situation is partial, and I understant why.
    You point out the departure of Naoupu/Robbie/Muldowney without signing of the same quality is a loss. You're right.
    BUT, you forget to take into account the maturation of the squad as a whole
    Robb Parata Romaine Dillane Masterson Delahunt Bealham TOH, even Kelleher in Dublin, all were very young and already talented. If the logic is respected, they should all be at least a bit better, with one more year of experience. The age structure of our squad should drag the overall level in the way of progress.

Injuries aside, nearly all the players haven't reached their best, and should be closer to it. Even someone like Roux may have his best season, boosted by the cap in S.A (not a play on word). Fox, Marshall and Heenan can bring us a lot more than last year if they are fit.

Except White (ageing) Buckley/McCartney/Muldoon (already to their best) there's no-one who should be anywhere else than on a the upward trend
    Time to reach their best is now for all the ex-prospects, and it should be a golden age, Robbie or not!

Redo91 wrote: »
    Such a shame. He was knocking on the door for international recognition a few years back. I'll never forget that try he scored against Quins a few years ago at the SG! The line he took was straight out of the top drawer.

Always liked his try 1 minute 10 seconds into this video

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Robbo wrote: »
    latest?cb=20141209215625
    It's Hollywood actor Jeffrey Wright's brother.

Graham Norton is looking well

Fox is holding the poster the other mystery man is out to the left.

Robbo wrote: »
    Was expecting this for all of last season but then got a bit optimistic when nothing had been announced by the summer.

In other less than optimal news, SOB2 on crutches again?

Fox is holding the poster and the mystery man is just being Bundees shoulder

Sad for McShazz...
    But overall for those pessimistic saying the team is weakened compared to last year, your viewing of the situation is partial, and I understant why.
    You point out the departure of Naoupu/Robbie/Muldowney without signing of the same quality is a loss. You're right.
    BUT, you forget to take into account the maturation of the squad as a whole
    Robb Parata Romaine Dillane Masterson Delahunt Bealham TOH, even Kelleher in Dublin, all were very young and already talented. If the logic is respected, they should all be at least a bit better, with one more year of experience. The age structure of our squad should drag the overall level in the way of progress.

Injuries aside, nearly all the players haven't reached their best, and should be closer to it. Even someone like Roux may have his best season, boosted by the cap in S.A (not a play on word). Fox, Marshall and Heenan can bring us a lot more than last year if they are fit.

Except White (ageing) Buckley/McCartney/Muldoon (already to their best) there's no-one who should be anywhere else than on a the upward trend
    Time to reach their best is now for all the ex-prospects, and it should be a golden age, Robbie or not!

Current senior squad age structure in October 2016

Under 25 17 players
    25-30 20 players
    30 + 4 players

2013-2014 squad age structure in October 2013

Under 25 21 players
    25-30 10 players
    30 + 9 players

Much more balanced now.:angel:

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Fox is holding the poster and the mystery man is just being Bundees shoulder

I was referring to the twitter pic by the way guys. It didn't link when I shared it.

• Advertisement

Stevenson is a wise choice. He started against Toulon 1 and a half years ago; there are reasons for that.

Yes; the reason is that they had literally no one else. Tuohy and Henderson injured, O'Connor suspended. Stevenson filled the gap (which is exactly what he'll do for Connacht) but he wasn't starting on merit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Could the mystery man be Ben Lam, Pat's nephew?

Nope not him PorterBelly. But when I seen you posting I did get excited as you tend to be correct in your predictions lol.

FFS it seems you're right. Straight replacement for McSharry in centre position!?
    FECECUTTR Sure it's not him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Certainly looks like him.

Gosh I want him so much in Connacht...

It would be highly logical he arrived so late. ACL injury in March, 6 months post-surgery just over

I'm not so sure guys.
    Facial hair and skin tone are similar but ears are different.

Quality is not great but I really think it's not him.

• Advertisement

SCCZEN_180216GTYBL463847918_620x310.jpgBEN LAMINPHO_01094687.jpg

Make your opinion, him or not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement