Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Fox Matamua Nepia-Fox-Matamua.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Defo not Fox

Well with the loss of Finn, Api and Henshaw in Centre, would make sense to have an extra guy here. Plus Ronaldson will have to play, at least cover 10 for two months waiting for Manitz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

http://www.the42.ie/bundee-aki-ireland-contract-irish-wrong-2930616-Aug2016/

Surprised no one linked this. It's a bit up in the air about what he'll do. Regardless of playing for Ireland, I really hope he extends beyond next Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote: »
    Well with the loss of Finn, Api and Henshaw in Centre, would make sense to have an extra guy here. Plus Ronaldson will have to play, at least cover 10 for two months waiting for Manitz

Cover maybe, but lam really really hasnt been a fan of craig there. Unless SOL and Carty both pick up knocks I cannot see him playing ten. Even then I wouldnt be overly surprised to see Mckeon, who apparently is now a nine, called up.

As I say that, and knowing my form with predictions, it equally could be Lams master plan for three years has been win a pro12, then switch ronaldoson back to 10 to remove the handicap and win the ERC/Pro12 double and have him be starting 10 for the lions.

Cannot fathom another centre signing (or any back really) our depth chart is pretty strong for centre, get what your saying though as at least 4 of those are emergency cover
    Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, Griffin, Parata, Rowland, Leader, Poolman, Kelleher, SOL

freyners wrote: »

Cover maybe, but lam really really hasnt been a fan of craig there. Unless SOL and Carty both pick up knocks I cannot see him playing ten. Even then I wouldnt be overly surprised to see Mckeon, who apparently is now a nine, called up.

As I say that, and knowing my form with predictions, it equally could be Lams master plan for three years has been win a pro12, then switch ronaldoson back to 10 to remove the handicap and win the ERC/Pro12 double and have him be starting 10 for the lions.

Cannot fathom another centre signing (or any back really) our depth chart is pretty strong for centre, get what your saying though as at least 4 of those are emergency cover
    Aki, Ronaldson, Robb, Griffin, Parata, Rowland, Leader, Poolman, Kelleher, SOL

It is true, but only Robb Aki and Griffin are original centres.
    And Freyners who's that guy in your opinion? Fox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

It's 100% not Fox-Matamua.

There's a photo of the squad today on twitter supporting A Night for Alex and Fox and the other guy are both in it.

CqEJo1YXEAA0bB5.jpg:largeDamn that's sure now, one last signing!

Some of us were right till the begining, as long as they haven't announced the end, there are more rejoices to come :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Sad to hear of McSharry today. It's a shame for Any player being forced to retire due to injury. He was always great in green and represented us well!

Your health is your wealth as they say and I wish him all the best in whatever walk of life he finds himself in, in the future.

• Advertisement

Sad to hear of McSharry today. It's a shame for Any player being forced to retire due to injury. He was always great in green and represented us well!

Your health is your wealth as they say and I wish him all the best in whatever walk of life he finds himself in, in the future.

Never a disappointement indeed. With Clarke, Tonetti and Wilkinson, we lost 4 talented guys, but protected them from worse :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

It's not Fox and it's not Ben Lam.

Hagz wrote: »
    It's not Fox and it's not Ben Lam.

It's not me either, the real question is who is he :P

It's me

b.gud wrote: »

It's me

I am slightly less excited and more patient now, thank you!:D

Brilliant story from Muldoon in this article
    The Connacht pair were in the backfield when the French side kicked deep. Muldoon fielded the ball and threw a pass infield to the former Leinster fullback, following it up with an immediate shout to “run.”

Kelleher took off and made 20 metres with ball in hand, launching Connacht back onto the front foot and into their attacking flow.

“But a couple of minutes later, Cian came back and said, ‘I probably should have kicked that,’” explains Muldoon.
    “I looked at him and said, ‘We don’t kick here, Cian!’ and he went off with a bit of a wry smile on his face. He’s picking up things very quickly and he’s getting used to the systems.”

Well it's one of Pat's son on the photo (2 are in the proper age to play with the squad, one is 23, the other 21), that explains he looks like his cousin Ben a fair bit.

And anyway, even if he is not signed this year yet, that's good sign for the near future :)

Do you know if at least one of Roux/Dillane will be allowed to play against Glasgow?
    Hope so because I did not see any sign of Browne/Marshall...

Dillane Marms Healy and Bealham barely played in S-A, and Roux barely played for the whole season. TOH has appeared in the warn-up in St Affrique so he should be ok, i'd let a few additional weeks for Kelleher/Rowland to fully get the Lam scheme

Didn't appeared fully in training or not surely fit, so considered (worst case scenario) unavailable for early September : Browne, Marshall, Carey, White, Leader, Heenan, Masterson, Ronaldson

for the 1st game against Glasgow
    I'd go with

15) TOH
    14) Niyi
    13) Hens...Griffin
    12) Aki
    11) Healy
    10) Carty
    9) Marmion
    8) Muldoon
    7) Fox
    6) Mckeon (great against Montpellier)
    5) Dillane
    4) Roux
    3) Bealham
    2) Tom
    1) Buckley

16) Heffernan (very good ball carrying in France)
    17) Soroka (yes wanna see more, seemed pretty dominant last week)
    18) McCoy
    19) Stevenson
    20) SOB
    21) Blade
    22) O'Leary
    23) Parata

I found out who it is but was told not to say...:(

His identity has been mentioned above already though.

• Advertisement

Dillane Marms Healy and Bealham barely played in S-A, and Roux barely played for the whole season. TOH has appeared in the warn-up in St Affrique so he should be ok, i'd let a few additional weeks for Kelleher/Rowland to fully get the Lam scheme

Didn't appeared fully in training or not surely fit, so considered (worst case scenario) unavailable for early September : Browne, Marshall, Carey, White, Leader, Heenan, Masterson, Ronaldson

I'd go with

15) TOH
    14) Niyi
    13) Hens...Griffin
    12) Aki
    11) Healy
    10) Carty
    9) Marmion
    8) Muldoon
    7) Fox
    5) Dillane
    4) Roux
    3) Bealham
    2) Tom
    1) Buckley

18) McCoy
    19) Stevenson
    20) SOB
    21) Blade
    22) O'Leary
    23) Parata

Sounds like a nice team, though I doubt we'll see it. I don't think Roux travelled to France so he may be carrying a knock. Also I'd probably have Poolman over Parata on the bench

b.gud wrote: »

I'd go with

15) TOH
    14) Niyi
    13) Hens...Griffin
    12) Aki
    11) Healy
    10) Carty
    9) Marmion
    8) Muldoon
    7) Fox
    5) Dillane
    4) Roux
    3) Bealham
    2) Tom
    1) Buckley

18) McCoy
    19) Stevenson
    20) SOB
    21) Blade
    22) O'Leary
    23) Parata

Sounds like a nice team, though I doubt we'll see it. I don't think Roux travelled to France so he may be carrying a knock. Also I'd probably have Poolman over Parata on the bench

Agree about Poolman but Parata is more complete to cover centre and wing. None of Healy/TOH/Niyi can play 13 if Aki/Griff is off, and Poolman there wasn't a success in Exeter 2 years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

From a glance at Twitter I believe it's a young fellah by the name of Murty Rabitt :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

macslash wrote: »
    I found out who it is but was told not to say...:(

His identity has been mentioned above already though.

Not a signing so.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

I'd go with

15) TOH
    14) Niyi
    13) Hens...Griffin
    12) Aki
    11) Healy
    10) Carty
    9) Marmion
    8) Muldoon
    7) Fox
    5) Dillane
    4) Roux
    3) Bealham
    2) Tom
    1) Buckley

18) McCoy
    19) Stevenson
    20) SOB
    21) Blade
    22) O'Leary
    23) Parata

SOB at second row instead of Roux (he will make this his place). Kelleher at fullback (TOH still under observation), O'Leary at 10 (rather him to Jack), Robb at 13 (its either Aki, Robb or Aki, Ronaldson or Aki, Parata or Robb, Parata or Robb, Ronaldson etc..). Griff is a bench until he proves better. LI was not his finest so he will need to work his way back. He certainly is not a first choice.

flogthebog wrote: »

I'd go with

15) TOH
    14) Niyi
    13) Hens...Griffin
    12) Aki
    11) Healy
    10) Carty
    9) Marmion
    8) Muldoon
    7) Fox
    5) Dillane
    4) Roux
    3) Bealham
    2) Tom
    1) Buckley

18) McCoy
    19) Stevenson
    20) SOB
    21) Blade
    22) O'Leary
    23) Parata

SOB at second row instead of Roux (he will make this his place). Kelleher at fullback (TOH still under observation), O'Leary at 10 (rather him to Jack), Robb at 13 (its either Aki, Robb or Aki, Ronaldson or Aki, Parata or Robb, Parata or Robb, Ronaldson etc..). Griff is a bench until he proves better. LI was not his finest so he will need to work his way back. He certainly is not a first choice.

SOB too small for lineout, Kelleher needs to learn playing Connacht's way like Muldoon said and may proove fragile under high balls, Carty above O'Leary especially to kick, no news about Ronaldson, Robb is the greatest defender but is a 12 not a 13, Griffin was injured most of last season and deserves a chance to proove his experience matters.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

SOB too small for lineout
    I will quote you on this at end of pro12 :-)

Didn't say he won't catch any. Just say, for now, Joe capped Quinn and he should be a starter for the first time since he arrived in Europe 4 years ago. Time to give him a chance. If he doesn't match the standard, give Romaine/Browne the spot. SOB is a 6/8 for more then a year now, and should be kept there, Muldoon isn't eternal

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Not a signing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Didn't say he won't catch any. Just say, for now, Joe capped Quinn and he should be a starter for the first time since he arrived in Europe 4 years ago. Time to give him a chance. If he doesn't match the standard, give Romaine/Browne the spot. SOB is a 6/8 for more then a year now, and should be kept there, Muldoon isn't eternal

SOB will get game time in the 2nd row this season. Muldoon will be starting barring injury/rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

SOB too small for lineout.

I wish someone had told Brad Thorn that. Could have been a good rugby player if he'd known he was too small for the lineout.

Brad Thorn is 6'5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Somebody already pointed it out but SOB was in crutches in a recent photo so may miss the start of the season, though hopefully it's something minor and he won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Retaining International standard players is just massive for us.
    He comes across as such a nice guy, hopefully he can achieve all of his potential with Connacht.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Toulouse home 15th Oct
    Zebre away 22nd Oct
    Wasps away 11th Dec
    Wasps home 17th Dec

2 away sunday games is ridiculous

cant get to Zebre now

2 away sunday games is ridiculous

cant get to Zebre now

Bollox. Was planning to try to get to that one too.

Bazzo wrote: »

I ended up booking sat evening to Milan with Ryanainr and flyiong back at 10 on the sunday. I'll be renting a car over there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭testtech05

Bazzo wrote: »

Same here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Probably a but early to ask, but any idea when the game times are announced... Is that down to clubs or TV or ERC etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Probably a but early to ask, but any idea when the game times are announced... Is that down to clubs or TV or ERC etc?

Already announced:
    http://www.epcrugby.com/matchcentre/fixtures_champions_cup.php

ClanofLams wrote: »

SOB will get game time in the 2nd row this season. Muldoon will be starting barring injury/rest.

SOB should prepare to play 6/8 for next season. The void with only McKeon here will be bigger than in 2nd row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Does the season ticket cover the home games for the champions cup?

gavkm27 wrote: »
    Does the season ticket cover the home games for the champions cup?

Yeah, all home games, apart from playoffs
    So 11 Pro 12 matches and 3 Champions Cup matches

SOB should prepare to play 6/8 for next season. The void with only McKeon here will be bigger than in 2nd row

There's no guarantee Muldoon will be going anywhere. 1 year contracts at his age are standard but he could still have another couple years left in him.

Edit: and am I also right in thinking that James Connolly played 6 all the way up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Not sure if this is a good idea or not but in case it is of help for others planning any away trips I'll share what I've done for away wasps game

1. Dub > BHX Sat Dec 10th @ 9:50am
    2. Twin room - Ramada Hotel & Suites, Coventry city centre for Sat night
    3. BHX > DUB Sun Dec 11th @ 19:55

Flights 46 pp rtn
    Hotel 80 for double room

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Brad Thorn is 6'5.

Sorry. Yes he is 1m95 vs SOB2's 1m93. Massive difference that would explain why SOB2 is too short for line outs. Much like Reuben Thorne (1m92) and Todd Blackadder (1m90) were too short for lineouts. Height of an individual lock is all that matters for lineouts:rolleyes:

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Brad Thorn is 6'5.

Sorry. Yes he is 1m95 vs SOB2's 1m93. Massive difference that would explain why SOB2 is too short for line outs. Much like Reuben Thorne (1m92) and Todd Blackadder (1m90) were too short for lineouts. Height of an individual lock is all that matters for lineouts:rolleyes:

not "all" but that matters
    POC 1m98
    Toner 2m11
    Retallick 2m04
    Gray 2m08
    Launchbury 1m98
    Etzebeth 2m04
    Whitelock 2m03

Do you see many locks under 1m95 among the very best? You'll always find exceptions, obviously, but very few

Yeah_Right wrote: »

Just go ahead and list off the 1.93m locks around right now who have carved out a solid professional career.

It's just 0.03m. It's nothing. Except it isn't nothing. It so clearly isn't an insignificant difference as we don't see 1.93 locks around in the sport.

The likes of Brad Thorn and Mick Kearney are outliers. You very rarely see successful or even moderately successful locks of their height. And they're taller than Sean O'Brien.

It's not ridiculous to claim that he is unlikely to carve out a career as a lock. The stats prevent it from being a ridiculous or unfair claim. It's a perfectly logical assumption.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement