Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

connachta wrote: »
    not "all" but that matters
    POC 1m98
    Toner 2m11
    Retallick 2m04
    Gray 2m08
    Launchbury 1m98
    Etzebeth 2m04
    Whitelock 2m03

Do you see many locks under 1m95 among the very best? You'll always find exceptions, obviously, but very few

You do realise we're talking about a guy to cover lock in the Pro 12? Not to start a RWC final? I think SOB2 is capable of covering lock in the Pro 12. I wouldn't select him there to start for Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    You do realise we're talking about a guy to cover lock in the Pro 12? Not to start a RWC final? I think SOB2 is capable of covering lock in the Pro 12. I wouldn't select him there to start for Ireland.

I don't suggest SOB for Ireland. I suggest SOB as the most plausible replacement for Aly. Why do I suggest this? SOB has shown such talent I think he will naturally fall into this position. The Aly replacement is a huge issue in Connacht rugby. Sean has shown such ability. He would be my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I see Fionn Carr has signed for Naas. I thought he might pick up a contract in England or France. Possibly didn't want to move abroad at this stage of his career though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

I see Fionn Carr has signed for Naas. I thought he might pick up a contract in England or France. Possibly didn't want to move abroad at this stage of his career though.
    Quiet a fall, but I suppose hes no spring chicken anymore

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think Carr is from Naas so that's probably why he's signed for them.

While I thought he didn't get much game time I'm surprised to see he only got 6 starts for Connacht over the last 2 seasons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

CatFromHue wrote: »

While I thought he didn't get much game time I'm surprised to see he only got 6 starts for Connacht over the last 2 seasons!

He didn't suit the game plan. He still is a very elusive runner and ran away from support more often than not. His defence came on hugely in the last season and was very good when called upon. I think he could still cut it in the pro d 2.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I dunno if he could or couldn't be two season of such in activity isn't a great selling point.

I'm not sure how good the wages are in the English Championship so could see why he wouldn't want to go there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Just saw SOB in town on crutches, right foot in one of those casts you can semi weight bare, in good spirits, heading for boojum to destroy a few burritos no doubt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Senior side had a behind closed doors game against Clontarf AIL side in Sportsground this afternoon while Eagles/20s had a game against touring side in Galwegians. 20s/Eagles well beaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Senior side had a behind closed doors game against Clontarf AIL side in Sportsground this afternoon while Eagles/20s had a game against touring side in Galwegians. 20s/Eagles well beaten

Thanks for the info. Do you know how the seniors did against Clontarf?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

CatFromHue wrote: »

Yeah didn't play much at all since he came back from Leinster really. Had some great times in the west though especially during his first spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Yeah didn't play much at all since he came back from Leinster really. Had some great times in the west though especially during his first spell.

made a quite a few appearances at sub in the first year back but ya, poolman and healy were comfortably ahead of him his entire second spell

His defensive performance away to Toulouse was on of his best games for Connacht ever in my view

freyners wrote: »
    His defensive performance away to Toulouse was on of his best games for Connacht ever in my view

He also came so close to scoring the winning try against Grenoble, would have been a great way for him to cap off his Connacht career

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

But that try could have cost us the Pro12 tittle by adding two extra games...

Someone know if Boshoff can play just after coming into the squad? For example if Golden Lions are out of Currie Cup in semi final on the 7th of October, is there a chance he makes at least the bench against Toulouse on the 15th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Someone know if Boshoff can play just after coming into the squad? For example if Golden Lions are out of Currie Cup in semi final on the 7th of October, is there a chance he makes at least the bench against Toulouse on the 15th?

Not a hope! He'll be given time to recuperate and then get used to the training and structures before being introduced to the first team

• Advertisement

Not a hope! He'll be given time to recuperate and then get used to the training and structures before being introduced to the first team

And 15 days would be enough? I remember Bundee was straight into it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

And 15 days would be enough?

We you have him 8 there. But I'd say it'll be 3-4 weeks after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

He will need time to climatise to the camp with calls plays etc especially playing outhalf. Gonna need 2-3 weeks with the squad to blend in first.

FFS, I like O'Leary as a guy but I don't want to play Toulouse with him. That's not good. At all. Still hope an early release but...

All the internationals in camp for last week so would be interesting to see what the starting lineup was in their absense.

• Advertisement

Probably not much different compared to the team in France, as they didn't play either.

Maybe Browne/Poolman/Marshall back, and some Academy guys like O'Keefe, Romaine,.. sent with Eagles against Galwegians...

good to see matt and tiernan included in initial squad along with ultan, finlay and kieran. Would like to see kieran getting more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

flogthebog wrote: »
    good to see matt and tiernan included in initial squad along with ultan, finlay and kieran. Would like to see kieran getting more time.

What squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

macslash wrote: »
    What squad?

the training group that got together at Carton House

So, any news of Ronaldson/Marshall/Browne?

the training group that got together at Carton House

Thanks, hadn't heard.

Anybody know why Gregor Townsend is departing Glasgow. I thought he had done a great job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Charizard

Anybody know why Gregor Townsend is departing Glasgow. I thought he had done a great job?
    Same reason all the Joe/Kidney/etc left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Scotland job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

He got promoted.

• Advertisement

Townsend gave an update on Russell, and reiterated the support that was given by Connacht and the IRFU, when Russell was injured here at the end of last season

Update on Fridays season ticket holder event

It's no longer going to be a game and the Alternate jersey will be launched

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Big Traffic Cone

Just passed Sean O'Brien in town he was in a moon boot. So I'm guessing not going to be ready for next weekend.

had a chat with a respected rugby analyst tonight and he is at a loss what is going on at connacht. its complete shutdown and nobody is saying anything. i cant recall seeing similar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

had a chat with a respected rugby analyst tonight and he is at a loss what is going on at connacht. its complete shutdown and nobody is saying anything. i cant recall seeing similar

Not sure what your talking about here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ivan Sorkora officially signed for Connacht
    Sent Pat an email with video clips looking for a trial - signed Contract this week after impressing

Boshoff played the whole game for Lions
    7 out of 10 to the post
    defence is rare, contact is weak, kicks are monsters, passes can do 20 meters, steps are good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ivan Sorkora officially signed for Connacht
    Sent Pat an email with video clips looking for a trial - signed Contract this week after impressing

Good for him. Heart and hard work can do so much

• Advertisement

golfer555 wrote: »
    Not sure what your talking about here?

maybe because no news on injuries, games behind closed doors. where leinster have had their preseason open to all, munster have had their preseason open to all, ulster have had their preseason open to all. its not what i am used to as a connacht fan

then murray kinsella says marmion isnt available for glasgow game but no indicators why. no press release. no mention if buckley was in carton house this week. no mention of the sale game at all.

its simply strange

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

maybe because no news on injuries, games behind closed doors. where leinster have had their preseason open to all, munster have had their preseason open to all, ulster have had their preseason open to all. its not what i am used to as a connacht fan

then murray kinsella says marmion isnt available for glasgow game but no indicators why. no press release. no mention if buckley was in carton house this week. no mention of the sale game at all.

its simply strange

Marmion isn't available because he was in SA. None of the Irish squad will be available next week as their preseason started a few weeks later.

They played one game behind closed doors against Sale, apparently a friendly fell through and I think I read/heard somewhere that it wasn't a game per se more a case each team running a few moves at full speed against opposition.

The players in Carton House weren't named, that wasn't Connachts decision.

They'll do injury update this week and throughout the season as has been standard for years as far as I recall.

There's really no need to be so dramatic!

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Marmion isn't available because he was in SA. None of the Irish squad will be available next week
    One of us will be proven wrong on this statement

One of us will be proven wrong on this statement

Ya. You will!

macslash wrote: »
    Ya. You will!

I honestly have my doubts about that

I honestly have my doubts about that

It's been IRFU policy for a long time so unless that has changed players who travelled to SA won't be available. It just hasn't affected Connacht much if at all in the past.

• Advertisement

It's been IRFU policy for a long time so unless that has changed players who travelled to SA won't be available. It just hasn't affected Connacht much if at all in the past.

lets just see clanoflams. none of our players played any significant part in SA. Glasgow is an important game. I suspect pat will decide.

lets just see clanoflams. none of our players played any significant part in SA. Glasgow is an important game. I suspect pat will decide.

Lam doesn't decide. The IRFU has a player welfare scheme. If they say someone isn't playing then they're not playing, it's that simple, regardless of Lams opinion. The IRFU could give dispensation but I'd say it's unlikely if Kinsella said Marmion wasn't available as he played the least of the quartet.

Also Dillane played a significant part, coming on in all three games.

Lam doesn't decide
    in fact he does. and from a welfare point of view there is no plausible welfare issue

in fact he does. and from a welfare point of view there is no plausible welfare issue

Right, you know sure. Good luck, enjoy ranting about the complete shutdown at Connacht with respected rugby analysts.

Right, you know sure. Good luck, enjoy ranting about the complete shutdown at Connacht with respected rugby analysts.

Pat decides. Thats it.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement