Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

flogthebog wrote: »
    Pat decides. Thats it.

False

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

False

in fact true. suggest how this is false

Eoin Reddan usually was given the first 1 or 2 weeks off in the past couple of seasons so you'd think Marmion will be in the same place as him now, although Reddan did play more on tour and Leinster had Boss/McGrath/Cooney those seasons so it may have been easier for them. It's not totally impossible that Marmion will be made available in the first week, but the IRFU will likely want to give him as long off as possible given how long this season could be for him if injuries come into play.

in fact true. suggest how this is false

The IRFU mandate when senior international players are available to the provinces and have always done. And touring players are held back from club rugby at the beginning of the season every year by the IRFU before being made available to the provinces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

There's no reason why Marmion needs to be held back.

But it's absolutely, 100%, unequivocally an IRFU decision.

There's no reason why Marmion needs to be held back.

But it's absolutely, 100%, unequivocally an IRFU decision.

Yeah actually now that I look back at it he wasn't even involved in the 3rd test so he's had a fair break now. So yes, agreed, I'd like to think he'd be available from week 1.

The IRFU mandate when senior international players are available to the provinces and have always done. And touring players are held back from club rugby at the beginning of the season every year by the IRFU before being made available to the provinces.
    lets just see. what did connacht players do this summer. nothing. they got no game time. so they will play vs glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Pat decides. Thats it.

Please explain. Why does Pat get to decide?

lets just see. what did connacht players do this summer. nothing. they got no game time. so they will play vs glasgow.

I don't disagree with that. It's the idea that it's Pat's decision that's wrong.

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Please explain. Why does Pat get to decide?

because his players have been largely unused. if it were the case they were critical to the nation then it might be different. none of the connacht players are starters at ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

because his players have been largely unused. if it were the case they were critical to the nation then it might be different. none of the connacht players are starters at ireland.

What's that got to do with the price of fish?

The IRFU only get a say on player welfare if they are a starter for Ireland? Has anyone explained this to the IRFU?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Pat said himself Friday night that they were now restricted about the number of minutes they can play the Irish players for by the IRFU.
    For him to say that it's pretty clear that these players are now definitely covered by the IRFU player welfare scheme or whatever it's called. Like it or not that's a fact.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I would be holding back Marmion.

Granted he didn't get much game time in SA but his season last would have started at the usual time of early/mid July and not finished til late June.

He needs a few weeks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Pat decides. Thats it.

Rubbish

We won't be seeing any of the internationals until at least Round 2. IRFU policy because of the summer tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I presume Cooney is still out after the shoulder op? If he is that just leaves us with Blade if Marmion is rested. Plenty of precedent for IRFU allowing players to play when other internationals are rested and get a rest another week - it's all about staying within the game time limits. Hopefully Kieran will be ok to play or at least bench.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd expect Lowndes on bench with Blade starting

Bored Sunday guess at 23 with little to no insight

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Bundee Aki
    12. Peter Robb
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    09. Caolin Blade

01. Denis Buckley
    02. Tom McCartney
    03. Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    04. ???
    05. Stevenson
    06. Eoin McKeon
    07. Nepia Fox
    08. John Muldoon (captain)

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Conor Carey
    19. Qualter/Romaine
    20. James Connolly
    21. Conor Lowndes
    22. Shane O'Leary
    23. Rory Parata

wp_rathead wrote: »

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Bundee Aki
    12. Peter Robb
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    09. Caolin Blade

01. Denis Buckley
    02. Tom McCartney
    04. ???
    05. Stevenson
    06. Eoin McKeon
    07. Nepia Fox

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Conor Carey
    19. Qualter/Romaine
    20. James Connolly
    21. Conor Lowndes
    22. Shane O'Leary
    23. Rory Parata

Are Heenan and Leader injured?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Are Heenan and Leader injured?

Heenan in hand bandage and Leader in a cast, SOB in a moonboot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

You're kidding? I don't think IRFU rest scheme is so brutal if Cooney needs one more week to recover, Marmion will bench. Shame otherwise

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Bundee Aki
    12. Peter Robb
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    09. Caolin Blade

01. Denis Buckley
    02. Tom McCartney
    04. ???
    05. Stevenson
    06. Eoin McKeon
    07. Nepia Fox

16. Dave Heffernan
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Conor Carey
    19. Qualter/Romaine
    20. James Connolly
    21. Conor Lowndes
    22. Shane O'Leary
    23. Rory Parata

Agree except 21 and 18 (if White's ready). Probably Griffin instead of Parata and maybe Ronaldson, if fully availabe, instead of Robb

Hope the other starting lock will be one of Roux (who barely played before South-Africa) or Marshall/Browne...

TBH just don't think we can beat Glasgow with your team with 9 out of 23 players have played less than 10 games in a top competition.
    Very worrying, hope we can reduce this number to 4/5 max...

Kerins? Looked really impressive for Irish U20s

Kerins? Looked really impressive for Irish U20s

What made me pick Lowndes was that he travelled to France for Montpellier clash - I agree Kerin's looks promising and I'd personally have him on bench if was choice between the two (have seen feck all of Lowndes but I trust Nigel and Pat)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Maybe Conor McKeon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Heard it on a sports bulletin over the weekend that the provinces are waiting on a decision from Joe as to who if any of the internationals can feature this weekend. They hope to know early in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Heard it on a sports bulletin over the weekend that the provinces are waiting on a decision from Joe as to who if any of the internationals can feature this weekend. They hope to know early in the week.

This interview with Erasmus would seem to back it up
    So far, none of the four Munster players who travelled to South Africa for the summer tour have featured for the new Munster boss, and he is waiting on confirmation from Ireland coach Joe Schmidt as to the duo’s availability for the trip to Wales.
    “Some of the international guys may be in the mix for next week, I want to 100 per cent make sure from Joe Schmidt. I have a fairly good idea,” said Erasmus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

I honestly have my doubts about that

Surely you've heard of the player welfare programme?

I was looking online for a calendar that has all the Connacht games on it so I could easily see days and times on my phone. Couldn't find any so I made one, well 2 actually.

I made one which has all the currently arranged Pro12 games and one which has all the currently arranged Champions cup games. They are public so you can add them to your own personal calendar. Fell free to share them with as many people as you want

You can see all the Pro12 games using this address
    2ob6rrk7diamkc1mur2hthkc88@group.calendar.google.com

You can see all the Champions cup games using this address
    qole3j35kp6klv37jqgjp7pf6g@group.calendar.google.com

Also if you have a website you can add the widget using the following code
    <iframe src="https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?height=600&amp;wkst=1&amp;bgcolor=%23FFFFFF&amp;src=qole3j35kp6klv37jqgjp7pf6g%40group.calendar.google.com&amp;color=%232F6309&amp;src=2ob6rrk7diamkc1mur2hthkc88%40group.calendar.google.com&amp;color=%23125A12&amp;ctz=Europe%2FDublin" style="border-width:0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Also if you see any mistakes or can think of any way to improve it let me know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Article in the Indo tomorrow on a potential Connacht/Galway Utd ground share at a redeveloped Eamonn Deacy Park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

a potential Connacht/Galway Utd ground share at a redeveloped Eamonn Deacy Park.

Ah... no.

Weak bargaining chip attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Article in the Indo tomorrow on a potential Connacht/Galway Utd ground share at a redeveloped Eamonn Deacy Park.

Hope not and hard to see that being viable.

Big difference between ten minute walk to eyre square and half hour. It'd be fine at the moment with the province on a high but if they're struggling in a few years it would be difficult to see the more casual fans heading out to terryland. Aside from the Menlo Park hotel there isn't even a bar around there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Awful, awful idea. There is very little scope for development with that stadium. Both ends behind the goals are a no go with a road behind one and a housing estate behind the other. Plus parking would be a nightmare. I've gone to the odd game there where there's been less than 1,000 at it and you end up parking along with everyone else in the estate next door if you're lucky. No idea where people will park when we get crowds 10 times that. Plus as others have said compared to the SG it's miles outside town.

Ideal scenario would be to stay at the SG but I don't know how viable that is. Failing that a new stadium in the proposed dock land development is by far the best choice. ED park shouldn't even be considered an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I think this is kite flying to be honest. It doesnt make sense from anyones perspective.

From a SG Owner and IGB POV
    They lose the Connacht sub-lease payments at minimum. The dogs are not doing as well as they were and from what I heard had offered to be bought out completely. If Connacht were to leave I'd imagine a pretty marginal situation becomes outright untenable. The Co-op that owns the site would be left with a struggling tenant and a lot of development work for a rugby ground going to waste. Replacement tenants arent likely as the two largest clubs are settled.

From a Connacht financial POV
    If Connacht were to move they would need to move completely as the SG isnt an inexpensive lease and the money probably isnt there to cover two leases on two grounds even if they want to use the SG as a training base. If they were to set up a new training base they costs of development would be prohibitive and would add to an already cramped situation at Terryland.

From a Connacht player/supporter POV
    A lot of the younger players are based near the SG and others commute from sides that suit the SG rather than Terryland, especially with Galway traffic. Supporter wise there is ample parking within walking distance of the SG, and the SGs location suits anyone getting public transport and anyone driving from the North, south or East of the province.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

With UCD hosting Leinster and UL hosting Munster I would see NUIG as a perfect fit to host a new Connacht training center in the medium to long term irrespective of any move away from the Sportsground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Winters wrote: »
    With UCD hosting Leinster and UL hosting Munster I would see NUIG as a perfect fit to host a new Connacht training center in the medium to long term irrespective of any move away from the Sportsground.
    Where though?
    Ideally NUIG would be the base but there isn't any room and NUIG will be losing pitch space, not that they have enough at the moment, to the much needed bypass of Galway that is going to be built in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

freyners wrote: »
    I think this is kite flying to be honest. It doesnt make sense from anyones perspective.

From a SG Owner and IGB POV
    They lose the Connacht sub-lease payments at minimum. The dogs are not doing as well as they were and from what I heard had offered to be bought out completely. If Connacht were to leave I'd imagine a pretty marginal situation becomes outright untenable. The Co-op that owns the site would be left with a struggling tenant and a lot of development work for a rugby ground going to waste. Replacement tenants arent likely as the two largest clubs are settled.

From a Connacht financial POV
    If Connacht were to move they would need to move completely as the SG isnt an inexpensive lease and the money probably isnt there to cover two leases on two grounds even if they want to use the SG as a training base. If they were to set up a new training base they costs of development would be prohibitive and would add to an already cramped situation at Terryland.

From a Connacht player/supporter POV
    A lot of the younger players are based near the SG and others commute from sides that suit the SG rather than Terryland, especially with Galway traffic. Supporter wise there is ample parking within walking distance of the SG, and the SGs location suits anyone getting public transport and anyone driving from the North, south or East of the province.
    And the GUFC fans' perspective. Terryland is a nice, compact ground. One of the best in the LOI. No point playing in front of 1,500 people in a 10k stadium.

quote from Willie Ruane on the rumours of moving to Terryland, from here
    We have previously indicated that we are exploring all options with respect to a new stadium. This process is ongoing and until such time as we are in a position to discuss anything specific, we have no further comment to make

In other words:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

b.gud wrote: »
    quote from Willie Ruane on the rumours of moving to Terryland, from here

In other words:

In the meantime we will get stories out there to put a rocket under the IGB/SG people to get things moving for the good of connacht rugby ......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Connacht fans can relax. They will not be moving to a redeveloped Terryland. It's just an attempt to make it look like Connacht have more options than they do. Bord na gCon are hardly so stupid that they would believe it.

Squad update

Ahead of Saturday’s Guinness PRO12 opener with Glasgow Warriors at the Sportsground, the Connacht Rugby medical team provided the following update.
    Props:
    Following a shoulder injury sustained with Nottingham Rugby last season, new Connacht signing Conor Carey has returned to full training and is due to be available for selection next week
    Academy prop Conan O’Donnell is nearing a return as he continues to rehab from the foot injury that kept him out of the World Rugby U20’s Championship during the summer.
    Nathan White is continuing his recovery from a head injury arising from concussion sustained last season
    Locks:
    Quinn Roux (hip) and Andrew Browne (thigh) are undergoing rehab with the medical and fitness team for their injuries sustained in pre-season. They remain unavailable for selection for 2-3 weeks.
    Ben Marshall is continuing his recovery from a head injury arising from concussion sustained last season
    Academy locks Cian Romaine, Peter Claffey and Cillian Gallagher are all unavailable to the senior coaching team due to respective injuries
    Back Row:
    Jake Heenan (hand) and Sean O’Brien (ankle) are both undergoing rehab with the medical and fitness team for their injuries sustained in pre-season. Both players are due to return in early October
    Eoghan Masterson (knee) is continuing his recovery from last season’s knee surgery and is due to return in December 2016.
    Scrumhalf:
    John Cooney (shoulder) is nearing a return to partial training with the squad as he returns from the injury he sustained in the Pro 12 Final.
    Outhalf:
    Craig Ronaldson (thigh) is progressing well as he recovers from his pre-season injury and is due to return in late September/early October.
    Marnitz Boshoff will arrive in Ireland in November following the completion of the Currie Cup competition.
    Back Three:
    Darragh Leader (hand) has undergone surgery on his hand injury and will return in February 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Jaysus, 16 injuries before the season has begun.

Squad updates are going to be awaited with bated breath from the start!

We are fairly screwed in the second row even if Dillane doesn't have to be rested

Depressing list. Not even sure we can field two second rows if we're not allowed play Dillane!

That was another great thing about Muldowney, rarely injured. Very unlucky for the three academy lads to be injured at the moment, at least one of them would have made their debut. Would have loved to see how Gallagher got on at this level even though he's still on the young side for it.

These concussions are obviously very serious, White still out 6 months on and Ben Marshall 4 months on.

Sounds like it'll be very tight for O'Brien, Heenan & Ronaldson to be back in contention for champions cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

The Stevenson signing makes a lot of sense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Leader not back until next Feb? Seems like he's already been out for ages.

It's either Dillane on the bench or... no one, literally.

Leader has been out from February 2016 to February 2017. One year off. As we're very well stuck with back-three players and McSharry is (sadly) retired, I wonder if this is an opportunity to convert him as 12, he already played inside centre times to times..

connachta wrote: »
    It's either Dillane on the bench or... no one, literally.

Leader has been out from February 2016 to February 2017. One year off. As we're very well stuck with back-three players and McSharry is (sadly) retired, I wonder if this is an opportunity to convert him as 12, he already played inside centre times to times..

He certainly could be an option there, but I don't think him being out injured for a year is any kind of opportunity - he can't exactly become a good centre by watching videos while he's on the physio table!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭d-gal

So who's left for second row choices? Qualter and Stevenson? Possibly dillane? I reckon a couple of the backrow lads will be emergency tested there as well

• Advertisement

Griffin & Nepia fox spoke to media today so would guess they're starting. Looking forward to seeing Aki Griffin Combo, has a lot of potential.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement