Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

When Daniel Pooleman was signed he was classed as a centre but was obviously a winger. I think this was because Nacewa and Howlett were already occupying NIQ spots. Couldn't we just sign a second row and say he is an 8 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

With that injury list in the second row I think Ill bring my boots Saturday. Havent played in 10 years but desperate times and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Zzippy wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    It's either Dillane on the bench or... no one, literally.

Leader has been out from February 2016 to February 2017. One year off. As we're very well stuck with back-three players and McSharry is (sadly) retired, I wonder if this is an opportunity to convert him as 12, he already played inside centre times to times..

He certainly could be an option there, but I don't think him being out injured for a year is any kind of opportunity - he can't exactly become a good centre by watching videos while he's on the physio table!

I meant a conversion there would be less "costly" because he lost his habits as 15, and has got time to be properly prepared, with specific physio and light training session in adequation to the area. Not like last season late conversion to the wing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    When Daniel Pooleman was signed he was classed as a centre but was obviously a winger. I think this was because Nacewa and Howlett were already occupying NIQ spots. Couldn't we just sign a second row and say he is an 8 ?

Decision to let go George might be biting us here. MAy see an AIL call up or two for the month

George was probably let go before the stoppers were put on the NIQ lock. Hindsight is fantastic. Maybe a medical joker can be found. Is there any locks in the AIL that were tearing up trees last season ? I wouldn't mind seeing Nagle on a short term loan deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    George was probably let go before the stoppers were put on the NIQ lock. Hindsight is fantastic. Maybe a medical joker can be found. Is there any locks in the AIL that were tearing up trees last season ? I wouldn't mind seeing Nagle on a short term loan deal.

Is he not with Leinster now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Yes. And injured.

Yes but was thinking of a loan type deal. Is it me or is he a bit injury prone ?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Yes. And injured.

It was mentionned in the herald that its not as serious as first thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I don't know why Leinster would sign Nagle only to immediately loan him out to Connacht. I doubt we'll get a joker either. It'll be tight for a few weeks but then we'll have Roux, Browne and Dillane back with academy lads to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Lam allowed to play the Irish lads but gametime will have to be monitored
    Will expect Dillane and Marmion on the bench for Glasgow

I'd say TOH, Healy and Finlay will be held back, but he might go balls to the wall vs Glasgow and have the 5 of them involved

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Lam allowed to play the Irish lads but gametime will have to be monitored
    Will expect Dillane and Marmion on the bench for Glasgow

I'd say TOH, Healy and Finlay will be held back, but he might go balls to the wall vs Glasgow and have the 5 of them involved

IMO we have to go full-house to win the 3 difficult opening games (Glas+Osp home, Zebre away). Than I'll rest all of them totally for Scarlets away, introducing Roux, Browne, Brennan, Kelleher, Soroka and academy lads. Less harmful if we lose that one

IMO we have to go full-house to win the 3 difficult opening games (Glas+Osp home, Zebre away). Than I'll rest all of them totally for Scarlets away, introducing Roux, Browne, Brennan, Kelleher, Soroka and academy lads. Less harmful if we lose that one

Less harmful? Scarlets are a rival for top 6

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Less harmful? Scarlets are a rival for top 6

And top 4!

Early eight-pointers don't decide top 6 or top 4 (look at last season defeats in Glasgow, Ulster, Scarlets etc).
    And we won't win in Parc y Scarlets after such 3 demanding games for such a diminished squad.

Good old debate about targeting. I know how isolated I am about that but
    1) our home record was the key last season, the only major upsets were at the Liberty and Thomond
    2) No RWC and more capped players this season, every single game will be harder, I prefer going for Ospreys home with the best team available and 50% chance to get 4 points than going to Wales with it for a much slimer chance to get those 4.

The situation is clear

for example
    Dillane needs one game off before October
    Glasgow and Ospeys will have a full team, we won't beat them with a weak 2nd row
    So for rest time it's either Zebre away (you have to be very confident to choose not going there full-strength, as they will target us with their renewed squad, and remember Treviso in April...), or either Scarlets away

Zebre away is not a tough fixture. The 1 point loss away to Treviso last year was a shock and that was an almost entirely second string team.

If you're not reasonably confident about doing the double on the Italians you're in for a nervy season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Kieran Marmion ready for move to higher level with Connacht and Ireland

Marmion has a rugby playing twin brother in NZ. You learn something new every day...

Bazzo wrote: »

you're in for a nervy season.

I am, sadly I am...
    When I see on one side the current Connacht team I listed without international/unavailable players,
    And on the other full-strength teams we'll face until October at best (when Roux/Marshall/White/Ronaldson/Heenan/SOB/Browne finally come in...)

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/additional-seated-stand-installed-ahead-of-new-season/#ConnachtNews

300 seater covered structure at the side of the Main Stand for the season. Not much but a start I suppose

Well last training pics seem to indicate Marmion, Heffernan, McCoy, TOH won't play, and Kerrins, Dillane, Delahunt, Bealham, one of Carey/J.P and Matt will.
    Just a fragile indication, but it would mean

15. Cian Kelleher/Josh Rowland
    14. Niyi Adeolokun
    13. Eoin Griffin
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Danie Poolman
    10. Jack Carty
    09. Caolin Blade

01. Denis Buckley
    02. Tom McCartney
    03. Finlay Bealham
    04. Lewis Stevenson
    05. Ultan Dillane
    06. Eoin McKeon
    07. Nepia Fox Matamua
    08. John Muldoon (captain)

16. Shane Delahunt
    17. Ronan Loughney
    18. Conor Carey/ J.P Cooney
    19. Daniel Qualter
    20. James Connolly
    21. Stephen Kerrins
    22. Shane O'Leary
    23. Matt Healy

• Advertisement

ClanofLams wrote: »
    http://www.connachtrugby.ie/additional-seated-stand-installed-ahead-of-new-season/#ConnachtNews

300 seater covered structure at the side of the Main Stand for the season. Not much but a start I suppose

would i be wrong in saying that this is the same covered seating they had a few years ago or is it bigger?
    SportsgroundGalwayMainStand-cropped.ashx?w=470&h=196&as=1

would i be wrong in saying that this is the same covered seating they had a few years ago or is it bigger?

I'm not sure but would think you are right. They brought in for the three Heineken cup games then I think whereas its for the season now is the only real difference.

Craggy Island Rugby Podcast is back, first two episodes are up now. Well worth a listen for Connacht fans especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm not sure but would think you are right. They brought in for the three Heineken cup games then I think whereas its for the season now is the only real difference.

it might be the skinner taller one they had on the other side (of the same stand) the following year?. Neither were up last Friday, guess we'll all just find out on Saturday, unless a local wants to pop in for a gander....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Does it block the view of those standing closest to it in front of the grandstand

interesting listening to the craggy ireland podcast. you would be forgiven for thinking that a pro12 repeat performance is considered unlikely. its hard to put a finger on. but all indicators are that connacht 'aim' to get top 6 and hope to get top 4 rather than there been any degree of confidence in what happened last season. Even the pundits seem to suggest its unlikely. I find this a bit strange. Yes we have lost a few players (important players) but we still have a very decent squad. Yes we have an injury list but fine new talent coming through.

My confidence is based on Dave Ellis and Pat Lam building new players into the team. The processes are in place, and being improved on. I believe we will be Top 4 again next year to the point I will be booking my place in the Aviva. But that's me.

flogthebog wrote: »
    interesting listening to the craggy ireland podcast. you would be forgiven for thinking that a pro12 repeat performance is considered unlikely. its hard to put a finger on. but all indicators are that connacht 'aim' to get top 6 and hope to get top 4 rather than there been any degree of confidence in what happened last season. Even the pundits seem to suggest its unlikely. I find this a bit strange. Yes we have lost a few players (important players) but we still have a very decent squad. Yes we have an injury list but fine new talent coming through.

My confidence is based on Dave Ellis and Pat Lam building new players into the team. The processes are in place, and being improved on. I believe we will be Top 4 again next year to the point I will be booking my place in the Aviva. But that's me.

7th and play-off (with a real draw) would be ok. 6th good. 4th a surprise. We are not far worse than last year. But opposition will be better, because there are 6-7 rounds without RWC, without 2nd string teams, without tired players all season. And that's a big big difference

connachta, behave :-). you went to the montpellier game. your match report would indicate we were in a good place minus many of our better known players. And montpellier, not a shabby team, were well ahead of us on their pre-season. So lighten up, brighten up.

• Advertisement

To be honest I'll be very disappointed if we don't make top 6. I think we should be in a place now where the fans expect that too.

flogthebog wrote: »
    connachta, behave :-). you went to the montpellier game. your match report would indicate we were in a good place minus many of our better known players. And montpellier, not a shabby team, were well ahead of us on their pre-season. So lighten up, brighten up.
    This is true
    But mhr aren't in form, 2 rounds played and
    Toulouse 20 Montpellier 12
    Montpellier at home 22 Clermont 26

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Solid pickup. Was he leinster subacademy?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭greg090

freyners wrote: »
    Solid pickup. Was he leinster subacademy?

Yeah, offered Hugo Keenan a place in academy ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

7th and play-off (with a real draw) would be ok. 6th good. 4th a surprise. We are not far worse than last year. But opposition will be better, because there are 6-7 rounds without RWC, without 2nd string teams, without tired players all season. And that's a big big difference

I can't stand the RWC bs excuse that gets trotted out still. We bet full strength teams at the business end of the season, beat full strength Glasgow in the semi and full strength Leinster in the final. Go have a moan somewhere else. We'll be top 4 or very close.

• Advertisement

evil_seed wrote: »

I can't stand the RWC bs excuse that gets trotted out still. We bet full strength teams at the business end of the season, beat full strength Glasgow in the semi and full strength Leinster in the final. Go have a moan somewhere else. We'll be top 4 or very close.

Sorry??? full strength Leinster in the final??? Nacewa? Toner? M.Kearney out after 10min?
    RWC impacted directly 7 games, 1/3 of the season. On a lesser extent, it impacted 100% of the season, even the end of it, inderctly (tiredness).
    So you like it or not, but I'm gonna be "moaning" again when I think I'm right

greg090 wrote: »
    Yeah, offered Hugo Keenan a place in academy ahead of him.

Cant argue with that decision in fairness. No surprised he moved either tho

Sorry??? full strength Leinster in the final??? Nacewa? Toner? M.Kearney out after 10min?
    RWC impacted directly 7 games, 1/3 of the season. On a lesser extent, it impacted 100% of the season, even the end of it, inderctly (tiredness).
    So you like it or not, but I'm gonna be "moaning" again when I think I'm right

Denis Buckley, Eoghan Masterson, Craig Ronaldson, Matt Healy at scrum half for 20 mins. All teams have injuries as that stage of the season, RWC or not.

Yes Connacht benefitted from the RWC period but it's also true that Connacht backed up that form at the end of the season. Obviously also if teams have a lot of internationals that generally indicates they have greater quality at their disposal than teams with less internationals.

7th would not be ok and 6th would not be good, in my opinion anyway.

Matt Healy at scrum half for 20 mins. haha forgot about that

Yes Connacht benefitted from the RWC period but it's also true that Connacht backed up that form at the end of the season.

I don't say Connacht didn't play well and hadn't rised the standard in the end. Of course we were good. But we won't have 32 points after 8 rounds like last season. That was obvious RWC effect

• Advertisement

For those of you who doesnt follow joe.ie dion fanning hasdone a brilliant piece on bundee. http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/the-making-of-bundee-aki/93689

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

freyners wrote: »
    For those of you who doesnt follow joe.ie dion fanning hasdone a brilliant piece on bundee. http://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/the-making-of-bundee-aki/93689
    I got this far :

His family moved here this summer.

and have been doing handstands since. Let's hope they are enjoying it!

15 Cian Kelleher
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Eoin Griffin
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 James Connolly
    21 Kieran Marmion
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Peter Robb

15 Cian Kelleher
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Eoin Griffin
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 James Connolly
    21 Kieran Marmion
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Peter Robb

I was going to say its a weak enough bench but tbf every single one of those stepped up last year when needed (save stevenson obviously)
    Qualter looked very good last year when he got some time, hopefully he has kicked on again

thanks be to jaysus Ultan and Finlay were let play. Kinda surprised Robb is ahead of Poolman tho in terms of coverage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Decent Glasgow team
    15. Stuart Hogg
    14. Leonardo Sarto
    13. Alex Dunbar
    12. Sam Johnson
    11. Tommy Seymour
    10. Peter Horne
    9. Henry Pyrgos (Co-captain)

1. Gordon Reid
    2. Pat MacArthur
    3. Zander Fagerson
    4. Tim Swinson
    5. Jonny Gray (Co-captain)
    6. Rob Harley
    7. Simone Favaro
    8. Ryan Wilson

Replacements

16. Corey Flynn
    17. Ryan Grant
    18. Sila Puafisi
    19. Tjiuee Uanivi
    20. Lewis Wynne
    21. Ali Price
    22. Rory Clegg
    23. Sean Lamont

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

15 Cian Kelleher
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Eoin Griffin
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Denis Buckley
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 Nepia Fox-Matamua
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Ronan Loughney
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 James Connolly
    21 Kieran Marmion
    22 Shane O Leary
    23 Peter Robb

Strong team. Peter Robb must be disappointed that Griffin has come back and walked straight into the first team. I know Robb has to improve aspects of his game but i thought he played well towards the end of last season! If any of the back three get injured Robb or the starting centres aren't ideal replacements.

I'd have Poolman on bench and Robb start with Aki but Griffin must be tearing it up in training (which is good)
    Looking forward to seeing Kirchner Kelleher

That Glasgow back 3 is tasty - I've a soft spot for Sarto after he twice let Ireland win 6 Nations on points dif by scoring against Wales and England respectively on final day

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Strong team. Peter Robb must be disappointed that Griffin has come back and walked straight into the first team. I know Robb has to improve aspects of his game but i thought he played well towards the end of last season! If any of the back three get injured Robb or the starting centres aren't ideal replacements.

If there's a back 3 injury, I'd imagine O'Leary will come into full back and then reshuffle as required

I'd have Poolman on bench and Robb start with Aki but Griffin must be tearing it up in training (which is good)
    Looking forward to seeing Kirchner

That Glasgow back 3 is tasty - I've a soft spot for Sarto after he twice let Ireland win 6 Nations on points dif by scoring against Wales and England respectively on final day

Assume you mean Kelleher unless there's a signing I don't know about :)

I think you'll find his name is now Leonard O'Sarto after those exploits :D

b.gud wrote: »
    Assume you mean Kelleher unless there's a signing I don't know about :)

I think you'll find his name is now Leonard O'Sarto after those exploits :D

Ha iv been calling him Kirchner constantly since he signed for some reason, doesn't look like it's gonna stop anytime soon

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement