Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

No Wolfhounds game this year either.

That is a godsend.
    We would have an AWFUL lot of candidates for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Credit to Salmson on ConnachtClan

Something like this so:
    O'Donnell/Loughney, Heffernan/JHW, Ah You
    Dillane, Muldowney
    SOB, Connolly, George
    Blade, Carty
    McSharry, Robb
    Niyi, TOH, Parata
    Subs Heff/JHW, O'Donnell/Loughney, Bealham, Qualter, Browne*, Porter/Marmion*, Ronaldson/Porter*, Healy

*We're in bother making up a squad if these aren't fit

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

astonaidan wrote: »
    Anyone feel that TOH has a chance to make the Ireland squad for the 6 nations

Best 15 in Ireland at the mo. Should be aiming to start

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Robbo wrote: »
    According to Linley McKenzie, only 23 of the European squad are fit. Of which only 9 are backs so O'Leary is being registered in place of Fox-Matamua.

Yeag highly logical as we predicted on the previous page.
    I would even play O'Leary, he seems fit, scored a try last W-E, and rest Carty against poor Newcastle

Riiiiiiight..
    So Qualter and Dillane second row? Yeah, Muldowney on the bench
    Browne, George and Connolly back row..? Perfect
    But James Connolly is our first choice 7 so do we rest him? Heenan back, only 3 games played for Connolly, no need to rest him
    Dave Heffernan or SOB2.0 on bench as backrow cover? OK

If Poolman available could have tasty enough backline of:
    09 Blade Can't wait to know how he does
    10 Jack Would prefer O'Lerary/Ronaldson, Carty protected until McGinty is back
    11 Niyi
    12 Robb
    13 Parata Yes, maybe McSharry though?
    14 Danie
    15 ??
    I've no idea what to do about 15 - guess we'll have start TOH who I was hoping we could rest
    Could have Parata 15 (think he's covered that underage) and McSharry at 13?? Nyi or Poolman as 15 to rest TOH?

It's getting messy though

I think Lam will pick as strong side as possible for home game and then patch together something for away game

Best news is Poolman and Brownie back, and Aki quite all-right!!!
    What's the story with Api, his 3-month injury should be over....

Roux and Marshall out for 3 months, a lot of our hopes for pro 12 lie on the Dillane/Muldowney pairing, Browne to cover.
    If one of them gets injured, it's a severe drop-off in quality with either Naoupu, Qualter or SOB 2.0 back to lock...Maybe Romaine too..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

I think Lam will pick as strong side as possible for home game and then patch together something for away game

I think so too and I'd agree with that approach. Beat Newcastle at home and even if you lose away with a 2nd string team you'd still have a good opportunity to qualify or even top the group.

Gives lads a much needed rest while still not throwing in the towel in the Challenge Cup.

Bit annoying to be travelling to Newcastle if this is the case though, but it's the right way to approach it in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

connachta wrote: »
    Roux and Marshall out for 3 months, a lot of our hopes for pro 12 lie on the Dillane/Muldowney pairing, Browne to cover.
    If one of them gets injured, it's a severe drop-off in quality with either Naoupu, Qualter or SOB 2.0 back to lock...Maybe Romaine too..

Will Roux ever get a break? - he has been so unlucky with injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

vienne86 wrote: »
    Will Roux ever get a break? - he has been so unlucky with injuries.

Marshall too to be fair. I'd say he's spent 75% of his professional contracted life injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I see mention of Rodney moving to Ulster has been brought up again in the media.

I heard nothing about this until Gordon D'Arcy mentioned it in his article a couple weeks ago, is there any substance to it? Should we be expecting (yet another)void at tight head next season?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Bazzo wrote: »
    I see mention of Rodney moving to Ulster has been brought up again in the media.

I heard nothing about this until Gordon D'Arcy mentioned it in his article a couple weeks ago, is there any substance to it? Should we be expecting (yet another)void at tight head next season?

Balls.ie (ya I know) is saying that Rodney might be going Ulster and Martin Moore or Ross coming to Sportsground.. Moore is a great player but I'd rather he move North and we keep Ah You - absolute fan (and personal) favourite

Balls.ie (ya I know) is saying that Rodney might be going Ulster and Martin Moore or Ross coming to Sportsground.. Moore is a great player but I'd rather he move North and we keep Ah You - absolute fan (and personal) favourite

Yep I'd be in complete agreement. My order of preference there would be Ah You>Moore>Ross

Rodney has his weaknesses but I think he's become a bit of a fan favourite in Connacht. I think moving Ross to Connacht as a "fair trade" for losing Ah You is a bit of a farce tbh.

We'd be mad to take Ross. I'd far rather Moore - I'd take him over Rodney tbh. I know we all love Rodney but I think Moore has far more potential. We'd get at most a year out of Ross and be paying him to sit on the bench behind Nathan, would be much better to develop a young player who'll be available long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

just been listening to the latest craggy island podcast and they spent a long time talking about which players would be available, hard to listen to and the music in background adds to the downbeat nature of the podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Independent in a whole state of the nation transfer special

Marty Moore to Connacht would be the greatest thing happening.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Big Rod to Ulster will never happen. The nearest Supermacs to the Insulation Dome is Dundonald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Former New Zealand rugby union international Mils Muliaina has told of his seven-month ordeal after being wrongly accused of groping a woman at a Cardiff nightclub. A judge heard the decision to prosecute the World Cup winner was “outrageous” and his legal team said the mistaken identity case should never have come to court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

flouncer wrote: »
    A judge heard the decision to prosecute the World Cup winner was “outrageous” and his legal team said the mistaken identity case should never have come to court.

If this is the case then I feel terrible for the guy. He's had his name/integrity dragged through the mud.

(I assume we're OK to give thoughts now given the legal proceedings are finished?)

• Advertisement

Former New Zealand rugby union international Mils Muliaina has told of his seven-month ordeal after being wrongly accused of groping a woman at a Cardiff nightclub. A judge heard the decision to prosecute the World Cup winner was “outrageous” and his legal team said the mistaken identity case should never have come to court.

Is there a source Flouncer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Not sure about the source for this specific quote but it was widely reported about a month ago that the case was dropped. A lot of the Connacht guys were retweeting it when it was announced

Oh yes I heard that alright a few months back that it got thrown out of court - just Flouncer said Mils has been speaking about it but can't find anything online..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It was an absolutely ridiculous method of arrest - you would think he was on the FBI's most wanted list!

Oh yes I heard that alright a few months back that it got thrown out of court - just Flouncer said Mils has been speaking about it but can't find anything online..

Same haven't seen anything in the places where I normally get news

• Advertisement

One of the biggest mistakes of my life..
    ..choosing to go to Saracens away instead of Toulouse away..

:(

What a moment it was. Clarke was there, sad he's retired when we need him now

Same here! :mad:

connachta wrote: »
    What a moment it was. Clarke was there, sad he's retired when we need him now

I was actually thinking about this recently, and Clarke retiring may have been a blessing in disguise. Before I go any further let me say that it was a huge shame that Clarke had to retire and it's not nice to see any player, especially one with such talent, retire prematurely.

Now why I think it was a blessing in disguise, if Clarke was still here I don't think we would have been able to sign Bundee. I just don't think we would have had the financial resources to do it. Maybe we wouldn't have signed Mils but I just fet the feeling that if Clarke had stayed Bundee never would have arrived. In the long run I think Bundee will be more valuable to Connacht

This is where I picked it up

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/oct/19/former-all-black-mils-muliaina-cleared-sexual-assault

Sorry I'm way behind the times. I hadn't heard that he had been cleared and hadn't noticed any information to that effect on the connacht thread. So its recent news to me but obviously old news to many

• Advertisement

In the Indo

"Wide-men Healy and O'Halloran must be in the frame for inclusion in Joe Schmidt's preliminary Six Nations squad, while second-row is fast becoming a major area of concern for the Ireland coach as the international season approaches, and Muldowney surely deserves consideration. " :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Hi all. I'm living near Newcastle and I'd love to go to the Connacht v Falcons match on Sunday week. Before I book the tickets I wanted to know which stand the away fans going to be in?

Cheers

Alot bought tickets to the South Stand Terrace
    KingstonPark1.png

Connacht confirmed that Shane O'Leary has been added to the challenge cup squad instead of Nepia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

wp_rathead wrote:
    Alot bought tickets to the South Stand Terrace

Cheers for that. I'll book the tickets tonight. Can't wait!

Final Year Academy players James Connolly, Shane Delahunt and Rory Parata signed Senior Contracts..

Final Year Academy players James Connolly, Shane Delahunt and Rory Parata signed Senior Contracts..

Great to see more quality players coming through the academy. Delahunt is particularly impressive, didn't he start last year in the sub academy? He really took his chance when injuries to senior players came about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Great to see
    1 that we're developing players for the senior squad right across the pitch.
    2 that the players are of a standard that when they are on the pitch the dip in quality isn't huge.

Shane really has grabbed his opportunity. James Connolly is a revelation IMO. And Parata doesn't look out of place on the pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Some welcome good news. Any idea how long their contracts are? I think typical academy grads start off with 1 year deals but think all three are definitely worth two years at a minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

• Advertisement

Heard the news on the radio earlier. Its great news. All have huge careers AT CONNACHT and are highly deserving of their contracts

Team for Friday at a guess.
    Toh (he has only played 3 consecutive games so he should be ready to go)
    Parata
    Robb (he was nervous against Cardiff but will improve with game time)
    Mcsharry
    Healy
    Jack
    Blade (anytime I have seen him his play is really blistering impressive)
    Loughney
    Delahunt
    White
    Dillane
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Connelly
    Sean O'Brien

This is based on muldoon and loughney being available. So here comes the positivity :-). With so many players injured I love the idea of our new 3 contract players getting more chances. They have been fantastic to date. If they keep it up the injury list may become the second choice list:-).

Out of interest I didn't notice any issue with darragh during the game versus Cardiff. At what point of the game did the injury occur?

Team for Friday at a guess.
    Toh (he has only played 3 consecutive games so he should be ready to go)
    Parata
    Robb (he was nervous against Cardiff but will improve with game time)
    Mcsharry
    Healy
    Jack
    Blade (anytime I have seen him his play is really blistering impressive)
    Loughney
    Delahunt
    White
    Dillane
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Connelly
    Sean O'Brien

This is based on muldoon and loughney being available. So here comes the positivity :-). With so many players injured I love the idea of our new 3 contract players getting more chances. They have been fantastic to date. If they keep it up the injury list may become the second choice list:-).

Out of interest I didn't notice any issue with darragh during the game versus Cardiff. At what point of the game did the injury occur?
    Hmm I'd go with something like :

15 TOH (c)
    14 Niyi
    13 Parata
    12 Robb
    11 Healy
    10 Carty
    09 Blade
    08 Naoupu
    07 Connolly
    06 O'Brien
    05 Browne
    04 Dillane
    03 Ah You
    02 Delahunt
    01 ???

Then away rest TOH (Parata to fb and McSharry 13), Carty (O'Leary to replace him) and Healy (you'd hope Poolman be back by then to get a run before Ulster)

Hmm I'd go with something like :

15 TOH (c)
    14 Niyi
    13 Parata
    12 Robb
    11 Healy
    10 Carty
    09 Blade
    08 Naoupu
    07 Connolly
    06 O'Brien
    05 Browne
    04 Dillane
    03 Ah You
    02 Delahunt
    01 ???

Then away rest TOH (Parata to fb and McSharry 13), Carty (O'Leary to replace him) and Healy (you'd hope Poolman be back by then to get a run before Ulster)

Yep the 01 is becoming an issue. Otherwise do I disagree. Yep (its in my nature :-)). Muldowney or muldoon has to be there. And its purely a leadership issue and not a talent issue. I have no issue with toh being captain but if you remember back to the Munster penalty try, it was muldowney who pulled toh and many others off the ref.

So I do think toh has a leadership role in the back line but he still has nuggets to learn. If I was a youngster with that decision I would be infuriated. Muldowney pulled everybody into check. I hope toh learnt from that experience.

That said there is always two captains, one who runs the pack and one who runs the back line. And in your team suggestion there is no pack captain. Hence my problem.

Browne and Naoupu are both more than experienced enough to lead the pack. Not to mention Loughney if he's fit.

I hav a feeling we'll be seeing Bealham at loosehead though. Or maybe even Conan O'Donnell?

Browne and Naoupu are both more than experienced enough to lead the pack. Not to mention Loughney if he's fit.

I hav a feeling we'll be seeing Bealham at loosehead though. Or maybe even Conan O'Donnell?

Would love to see Conan. I disagree about Browne and George. Neither have led in the past. Its not a simple matter of a step-up. They are second choice players. They simply don't walk into that position of respect. In truth george is a last gasp selection at the best of times and Browne is behind muldowney, Marshall, roux, and dillane these days.

So I don't get that viewpoint. Neither are captains!

Would love to see Conan. I disagree about Browne and George. Neither have led in the past. Its not a simple matter of a step-up. They are second choice players. They simply don't walk into that position of respect. In truth george is a last gasp selection at the best of times and Browne is behind muldowney, Marshall, roux, and dillane these days.

So I don't get that viewpoint. Neither are captains!

They're not captaining the team just leading the pack. They have both been around long enough to know what they're about. Naoupu might be falling out of favour a bit but that speaks more to the quality of our younger players coming through, it's not long since he was first choice. Same for Browne.

Leo Cullen rode the pine for a couple of years at Leinster and still captained the team when he was playing, you don't have to be the best player on the pitch to be a leader.

Well Muldowney was made captain when Mul went off so that's why he was only one talking to ref in Thomond

If White plays he is a capable captain (he has done in the past)

Browne has been brilliant this season when fit, I'd rest Muldowney and Muldoon for Ulster. Qualter is also an option in second row or at 8

Well Muldowney was made captain when Mul went off so that's why he was only one talking to ref in Thomond

If White plays he is a capable captain (he has done in the past)

Browne has been brilliant this season when fit, I'd rest Muldowney and Muldoon for Ulster. Qualter is also an option in second row or at 8

Now I agree with the white suggestion. It is just my opinion but I don't see players (in particular george) leading the pack. And it simply comes down to the fact that he is most unlikely to start in most games. So I don't get how he can lead. I agree with Browne. Anyways toh out injured in training today so it will be interesting to see how the team lines out.

• Advertisement

They're not captaining the team just leading the pack. They have both been around long enough to know what they're about. Naoupu might be falling out of favour a bit but that speaks more to the quality of our younger players coming through, it's not long since he was first choice. Same for Browne.

Leo Cullen rode the pine for a couple of years at Leinster and still captained the team when he was playing, you don't have to be the best player on the pitch to be a leader.

I don't disagree with that viewpoint whatsoever. I just question that the one of the final senior choices available deserves the respect of a bunch of kids who are on fire.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement