Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'm guessing Lowndes as SH cover- he was kicking for Buccs at weekend in their 34-10 win over Wegians

Loughney for Bucs with on AN Other on bench
    Connolly for Fox with Maloney on bench
    Marmion for Blade with Lowndes on bench
    Carty or O'Leary to start 10- I'd stick with Jack but an argument for Shane starting
    Poolman for Healy (rest him for IRFU Welfare) with Brennan at 23
    TOH for Kelleher

Griffin and Qualter only starting due to necessity

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

1 big plus, though it's a struggle to find any, for this weekend is that Whitehouse is reading. We have a really good record under him in the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Is this penance for the ****e we got up to in Edinburgh last year??
    Un-bloody-believable!
    I feel particularly sorry for Dennis and Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I'd try

1) Loughney
    2) Tom
    3) Beal
    4) Steve
    5) Dillane
    6) McKeon
    7) Connolly
    8 ) Mul
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Aki
    13) Griff
    11) Niyi
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    16) Delahunt
    17) Soroka
    18) Carey/J.P
    19) Qualter
    20) Moloney
    21) Lowndes
    22) SOL
    23) Healy

1st team still looks good, but the bench is weak......

Confirmed, Romaine trained today. Give him a go? Why not as back-row sub, as he can play 6, with Qualter able to play 8 and McKeon to cover 7?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

connachta wrote: »
    I'd try

1) Loughney
    2) Tom
    3) Beal
    4) Steve
    5) Dillane
    6) McKeon
    7) Connolly
    8 ) Mul
    9) Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Aki
    13) Griff
    11) Niyi
    14) Poolman
    15) TOH
    16) Delahunt
    17) Soroka
    18) Carey/J.P
    19) Qualter
    20) Moloney
    21) Lowndes
    22) SOL
    23) Healy

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finley bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin Mc Keown
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon
    9 Kieran Marmion
    10 Jack Carty
    11 Matt Healy
    12 Bundee Aki
    13 Eoin Griffin
    14 Niyi Adeolokum
    15 Tiernan O Halloren

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Confirmed, Romaine trained today. Give him a go? Why not as back-row sub, as he can play 6, with Qualter able to play 8 and McKeon to cover 7?

Ya saw him warming up with Qualter before the match on Sat. Not sure will he get in ahead of Stevenson on Sat though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Just after watching the conjuring part II so slightly freaked. Couldn't give a reasonable assessment. Continually looking over my shoulder at the moment.

macslash wrote: »

Ya saw him warming up with Qualter before the match on Sat. Not sure will he get in ahead of Stevenson on Sat though.

Ahead of Qualter rather..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭greg090

Romaine cannot play 6 at a pro level.

WHY?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

greg090 wrote: »
    Romaine cannot play 6 at a pro level.

Fantastic insight. Can you elaborate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

evil_seed wrote: »
    Fantastic insight. Can you elaborate?

Greg won't be joining us again. As Greg anyway...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Zzippy wrote: »
    Greg won't be joining us again. As Greg anyway...

Are there any names left to choose from lol

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Are there any names left to choose from lol
    Pounder, tonner, kilogrammer etc...

Robbo wrote: »
    Pounder, tonner, kilogrammer etc...

Wrong ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Back by unpopular demand, here's the current breakdown of the walking wounded...

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Denis Buckley|Concussion|Glasgow (H)|Protocols
    Nathan White|Concussion (Long Term)|Last Season|Unknown
    Quinn Roux|Hip|Pre-Season|Late September
    Andrew Browne|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|Awaiting Scan
    Jake Heenan|Hand Gash|Pre-Season|Early October
    Sean O’Brien|Ankle|Pre-Season|Early October
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Stephen Kerins|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September/Early October
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Rory Parata|Knee|AIL - September|Early October
    Peter Robb|Concussion|Glasgow (H)|Protocols
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Cian Kelleher|Hip|Glasgow (H)|Soon
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

Any additional info always welcome and I'll edit it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭testtech05

Connacht team to face Ospreys, Saturday 10th September, the Sportsground, 7:35pm

15 Tiernan O’Halloran
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Eoin Griffin
    12 Bundee Aki
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Kieran Marmion

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finlay Bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin McKeon
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon (captain)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan
    17 Dominic Robertson-McCoy
    18 JP Cooney
    19 Lewis Stevenson
    20 Rory Moloney
    21 Caolin Blade
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Danie Poolman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Happy with that, thought that Stevenson might get ahead of Qualter, but happy with that line up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

My reaction to the injury list

Flipping-table-GIF.gif?gs=a

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

given the injuries that is not a bad starting 15, however I'd be worried about the depth on the bench...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

given the injuries that is not a bad starting 15, however I'd be worried about the depth on the bench...

It was the same last year. I don't think we can sustain such a high injury count and fight for top 4 spot. I'd love to be proven wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭basillarkin

1 Ronan Loughney
    2 Tom McCartney
    3 Finley bealham
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Eoin Mc Keown
    7 James Connolly
    8 John Muldoon
    9 Kieran Marmion
    10 Jack Carty
    11 Matt Healy
    12 Bundee Aki
    13 Eoin Griffin
    14 Niyi Adeolokum
    15 Tiernan O Halloren

Fairly close

evil_seed wrote: »
    7th and play-off (with a real draw) would be ok. 6th good. 4th a surprise. We are not far worse than last year. But opposition will be better, because there are 6-7 rounds without RWC, without 2nd string teams, without tired players all season. And that's a big big difference

I can't stand the RWC bs excuse that gets trotted out still. We bet full strength teams at the business end of the season, beat full strength Glasgow in the semi and full strength Leinster in the final. Go have a moan somewhere else. We'll be top 4 or very close.

Sorry??? full strength Leinster in the final??? Nacewa? Toner? M.Kearney out after 10min?
    RWC impacted directly 7 games, 1/3 of the season. On a lesser extent, it impacted 100% of the season, even the end of it, inderctly (tiredness).
    So you like it or not, but I'm gonna be "moaning" again when I think I'm right

So what about "moaning" now?

Positives to take though
    We held on for a half against Glasgow, for 70 min yesterday
    TOH McCartney Dillane McKeon Bealham were rock solid, tackling stats proove it
    Add Buckley, Roux, Heenan, J.Cooney, Boshoff, Ronaldson/Robb and it makes a really good team for ChampionsCup, I'm convinced of this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Positives to take though
    Add Buckley, Roux, Heenan, J.Cooney, Boshoff, Ronaldson/Robb and it makes a really good team for ChampionsCup, I'm convinced of this

It's only two games in although it has been a horrific start. Two home games down in which we've come away with 0 points and managed to cough up 5 pints to two of our rivals for the top 4/6.

Needless to say 5 points next week is a must.

Redo91 wrote: »

Positives to take though

It's only two games in although it has been a horrific start. Two home games down in which we've come away with 0 points and managed to cough up 5 pints to two of our rivals for the top 4/6.

Needless to say 5 points next week is a must.

My main goal is Europe and always was. We fought to qualify, we have to focus on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Awful start to the season but I'm gonna stay optimistic and say it's just a hiccup.

Connolly impressed me again last night. With everyone fit we're completely spoiled at 7. I have the feeling Pat is grooming McKeon to be Muldoon's replacement at 6. He's more than competent all across the back row now, great player to have in the team.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Awful start to the season but I'm gonna stay optimistic and say it's just a hiccup.

Connolly impressed me again last night. With everyone fit we're completely spoiled at 7. I have the feeling Pat is grooming McKeon to be Muldoon's replacement at 6. He's more than competent all across the back row now, great player to have in the team.

I thought McKeon was our best player on the pitch last night. Carried well, made some great tackles. Connolly was good too. Bealham made some fantastic tackles. Been very disappointed with Griffin so far, shot up in defence a couple of times and got badly caught out.

Is it just me or does anyone else think the lads are trying to tackle round the ankles a lot - attackers are just hurdling them and we're missing a huge amount of tackles as a result?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Unlucky breaks at pivotal times.

O'Leary's pass to TOH for their third was shocking
    Griffin has a few games to get himself back up to speed, his tackle for the fourth was horrifically bad.
    Carty's penalty misses were crucial when we needed to apply pressure.
    The lack of impact from the bench was very telling.

The forwards got to grips with stuff in the second half.
    Loughney played a blinder in defense.
    We need to be taking advantage of the gaps left by the attention Bundee is getting from the opposition.

It was a step up on last week. If we manage to get 9 or 10 points in the next fortnight we are back on track for top 6.

If we can manage 5th or 6th I'd be okay with it.
    At the moment 3rd or fourth would be a godsend.
    5th or 4th and knockout rugby in Europe would be a fine season.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Unlucky breaks at pivotal times.

O'Leary's pass to TOH for their third was shocking
    Griffin has a few games to get himself back up to speed, his tackle for the fourth was horrifically bad.
    Carty's penalty misses were crucial when we needed to apply pressure.
    The lack of impact from the bench was very telling.

The forwards got to grips with stuff in the second half.
    Loughney played a blinder in defense.
    We need to be taking advantage of the gaps left by the attention Bundee is getting from the opposition.

It was a step up on last week. If we manage to get 9 or 10 points in the next fortnight we are back on track for top 6.

If we can manage 5th or 6th I'd be okay with it.
    At the moment 3rd or fourth would be a godsend.
    5th or 4th and knockout rugby in Europe would be a fine season.

Realistically I think 5th or 6th is the ceiling based on what I've seen thus far, I really hope I'm wrong ( Even being a Munster fan I have huge admiration for Connacht and want nothing but the best for them) but the start they have made is going to be very hard to claw back a top 4 finish, the issue is more mentally rather than the form of the players, how is Lam going to get the players up for the rest of the season after these two disastrous results. But who knows, maybe they could follow in the footsteps of the Hurricanes and recover the season but at this moment in time from what I've seen from the 2 games baring a few flashes of good play here and there I think it will be a massive ask. I do feel Connacht should also really turn there focus to Europe, I genuinely believe they can get out of the group, they have more or less a certain 5 pointer vs Zebre and a very beatable Toulouse side and because of the 5 pointer vs Zebre x2 I think that 2nd will advance and to get knockout rugby and be among the best 8 sides in europe ( something as a Munster fan I would love t happen to us, but can't see happening) would be a very good return even if the league form isn't the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Can't add much to what has been said

But there are positives:

scrum and maul were good definitely should have got a penalty try in the first half. Surprisingly tryhouse didn't give one

Tiernan had a great game real quality fullback covering by him on some of Ospreys breaks.

We are creating opportunities and Marmion was dictating things nicely for me.

Negatives: Cartys up and down nature there's a good 10 there when he wants to show up.

The lack of a ball playing forward too many times the ball got shifted along amongst the middle pod. I know that was Muldowneys area I think Browne will be a benefit here. That also goes for the line-out we seemed fairly predictable at times.

Tackling and especially Griffin for me bounced of way too many tackles not at all good enough. Also himself and Bundee haven't gelled and I feel you can see that Bundee doesn't trust him. I'd like to go back to a Ronaldson/Robb Bundee partnership as soon as.

There is a general sluggishness about Connacht but no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater just yet

Top 6 is still possible but we'll need a serious step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Oh the bright side yesterday was an improvement on last week. We had a weak bench and we conceded 3 tries in the last 10 minutes, which was shocking. I think missing AJ and Muldowney was particularly obvious yesterday. They still look like a team that is not match fit and that coupled with injuries is really having a negative impact. It's bad and its not where it needs to be, but we are not in "holy ****ing ****, we are all going to die" territory

The more I think about it, the more I realise that a large chunk of the problem is the lack of pre season. Last nights result was the sign of a side short on match fitness, there where big improvements on week one an for a large chunk of the game it was tight, once Connacht took the lead and conceded 3 they look down and out. I feel if they can beat Zebre next week they can go into the Scarlets game with abit of confidence, especially if they are still 0-0-3 which they will likely be based on what I've seen thus far. Get a win there and then they are at home to Edinburgh. Could easily be 3-0-2 at that point and who knows, Champions cup qualification will be very much back on the cards!

The last 10 mins kinda made me forget all the injuries we picked up, Marmion, Niyi and Poolman all went off injured and fairly sure Carty was holding his arm as he went off as well..

Feck knows who'll be available for Parma

Such a shame that AJ McGinty is not with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Such a shame that AJ McGinty is not with us.

It is but look the players that are gone are gone. Nothing we can do about now. Just have to get behind the players we have now.

The amount of negativity around the team and among supporters after two games is ridiculous

KBurke85 wrote: »
    The amount of negativity around the team and among supporters after two games is ridiculous

I think there is a fair balance of concern and optimism about areas that improved over the two weeks along with an acknowledgement that pre-season may not have been fully up to scratch.

I also think it has more to do with the manner of the two losses as opposed to the fact that it was two back to back losses at home.

I'm not too worried about the Glasgow game, they look really sharp as seen against Leinster at the weekend, but Ospreys are no great shakes at the moment and the capitulation on the home stretch of the game is something that needs to be stamped out straight away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I think there is a fair balance of concern and optimism about areas that improved over the two weeks along with an acknowledgement that pre-season may not have been fully up to scratch.

I also think it has more to do with the manner of the two losses as opposed to the fact that it was two back to back losses at home.

I'm not too worried about the Glasgow game, they look really sharp as seen against Leinster at the weekend, but Ospreys are no great shakes at the moment and the capitulation on the home stretch of the game is something that needs to be stamped out straight away.

I agree its been pretty balanced. The two biggest problems are the injuries which mean that while the starting 15 looks good the bench is weak, and I dont mean any disrespect to the players on it. Also as everyone says the last of quality pre season matches is glaringly obvious.
    Saturday as well Poolman had to go off not long after coming on and was replaced by Dave Heffernan IIRC. I couldn't quite see how everyone lined out but we were down a back at that stage and it was always going to leave gaps, particularly with the team tiring.
    Things will improve top 6 is still very realistic and will be disappointing if its not gotten. Top 4 will be an ask but that was always going to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I agree its been pretty balanced. The two biggest problems are the injuries which mean that while the starting 15 looks good the bench is weak, and I dont mean any disrespect to the players on it. Also as everyone says the last of quality pre season matches is glaringly obvious.
    Saturday as well Poolman had to go off not long after coming on and was replaced by Dave Heffernan IIRC. I couldn't quite see how everyone lined out but we were down a back at that stage and it was always going to leave gaps, particularly with the team tiring.
    Things will improve top 6 is still very realistic and will be disappointing if its not gotten. Top 4 will be an ask but that was always going to be the case.

Heffernan went into the back row and McKeon went out onto the wing.

Also worth noting that Poolman came back out onto the bench shortly before the end of the game so hopefully it wasn't too bad

Really? I actually am Rather pleasantly surprised with how restrained majority have been.

The ****ty preseason, the ridiculous injury scenario and fact teams gonna wanna knock us of our perch - most fans have taken all this into account.

Our defensive speed and handling were poor vs Glasgow but were much improved vs Ospreys (who admittedly aren't as good a side) - apart from last 10 mins were they seemed to target our left wing when McKeon was acting winger.

Browne and Ronaldson to come in for Qualter and Griffin will strengthen the side both defensively and offensively (Browne did the Aly role well last season)

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Really? I actually am Rather pleasantly surprised with how restrained majority have been.

The ****ty preseason, the ridiculous injury scenario and fact teams gonna wanna knock us of our perch - most fans have taken all this into account.

Our defensive speed and handling were poor vs Glasgow but were much improved vs Ospreys (who admittedly aren't as good a side) - apart from last 10 mins were they seemed to target our left wing when McKeon was acting winger.

Browne and Ronaldson to come in for Qualter and Griffin will strengthen the side both defensively and offensively (Browne did the Aly role well last season)

We badly need Ronaldson back, Carty is just not good enough. Robb also badly needed, Griffin is not physical enough in defence and offers no threat in attack. Browne/Roux back would be a huge plus too. Saturday was a huge improvement on the previous week bar the last 15 mins, but it really showed up the lack of depth in the squad when we have a lot of injuries.

Zzippy wrote: »
    We badly need Ronaldson back, Carty is just not good enough. Robb also badly needed, Griffin is not physical enough in defence and offers no threat in attack. Browne/Roux back would be a huge plus too. Saturday was a huge improvement on the previous week bar the last 15 mins, but it really showed up the lack of depth in the squad when we have a lot of injuries.

The amount of injuries Connacht have not many teams would be able to keep up the standards, even NZ.

It is but look the players that are gone are gone. Nothing we can do about now. Just have to get behind the players we have now.

I do not share that sentiment at all. I do not see any negativity. Maybe a bit of disappointment at the first few results, but not negative, not at all. The players and management would be disappointed as well I am sure. The injuries are killing us, but they are what they are and we get on with it.

I do not want to be a supporter that raises expectations above what is possible, we won the league last year, we start badly this year, that is life, we dust ourselves down and go again. We have been through it all before. We will get our players back and we will move forward. I have every intention of backing the lads, whatever the weather, result or position in the league.

When I said that I wish AJ was still here, I meant it. Was a big fan of his, but I also wish that he was Irish (in a rugby qualification sense) but he is not and we move on and I also wish that I was 20 years younger and had no grey hair....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

I'm not overly concerned at the moment. I think the gameplan at Connacht requires a few games (leaving pre season aside) to get up to speed.

We had good results at the start of last season but I don't recall the performances in the first few games being particularly good, losing to Glasgow shorn of their whole first team squad over there and beating very weak blues and dragons teams in one score games in the Sportsground.

Add in the pre season issue and missing half of our first choice 23 well ya get what we've got.

Still expect to be top 6 and wouldn't be writing off top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Niyi signs on until 2019. Bit of good news. Should get an Ireland cap somewhere during the Autumn internationals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Niyi signs on until 2019. Bit of good news. Should get an Ireland cap somewhere during the Autumn internationals.
    If there is one thing that frustrates me about Schmidts reign is when your in your in and when your out your out. The only way in seems to be if somebody gets injured, examples being Matt and Tiernan. Its anyones guess if they will stay in with the Kearney brothers back and with Tommy Bowe ready to come back along with the usual suspects being available so its hard to see Niyi get in. Its very frustrating when we all know what a good player he is. But then you look at McCloskey. Another fine player, but not one that Joe sees fits his needs. If you look at the amount of tries that Earls and Trimble have scored against quality opposition you begin to understand that the role of a winger is not lightning attack but defensive strength. The majority of tries will be weight of numbers with the odd break through the centre. Its how its done at team Ireland and with so little team time together I can't see that policy changing soon. And if you put Niyi in against Canada you prove nothing as its a nothing game. So unless there is a seismic shift in Irish rugby Niyi may be waiting a while. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

flogthebog wrote: »
    If there is one thing that frustrates me about Schmidts reign is when your in your in and when your out your out. The only way in seems to be if somebody gets injured, examples being Matt and Tiernan. Its anyones guess if they will stay in with the Kearney brothers back and with Tommy Bowe ready to come back along with the usual suspects being available so its hard to see Niyi get in. Its very frustrating when we all know what a good player he is. But then you look at McCloskey. Another fine player, but not one that Joe sees fits his needs. If you look at the amount of tries that Earls and Trimble have scored against quality opposition you begin to understand that the role of a winger is not lightning attack but defensive strength. The majority of tries will be weight of numbers with the odd break through the centre. Its how its done at team Ireland and with so little team time together I can't see that policy changing soon. And if you put Niyi in against Canada you prove nothing as its a nothing game. So unless there is a seismic shift in Irish rugby Niyi may be waiting a while. I hope I'm wrong.

Niyi has yet to play any European level rugby and has really only had a half a season of good form so far. For the first half of last season he was, by his own definition, a work in progress. He doesn't look to have hit his ceiling yet so hopefully he can push on, but let's all get some perspective here before the outrage. He has very little experience at relatively low levels. Fionn Carr was the top try scorer in the league a while back and that had people clamouring for his inclusion in the Irish squad. But I think we all realise now that Carr, for all his strengths, simply wasn't good enough for international rugby. Good form at Pro12 level does not an international make.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Right now Niyi is worth a go against Canada with a view to challenging for the 23 for NZ and Australia afterwards.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement