Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Right now Niyi is worth a go against Canada with a view to challenging for the 23 for NZ and Australia afterwards.

I think that's extremely unlikely

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Right now Niyi is worth a go against Canada with a view to challenging for the 23 for NZ and Australia afterwards.

Why? Gilroy has done more to deserve the call up and you know how I feel about him. I think Niyi will end up a better player, but let's wait to see how he does in Europe before looking for his inclusion in the AIs. We only had POC talking the other day about how much there is to learn when you're in a Joe Schmidt side so even if he's brought into the training squad he's not going to get game time yet. If they were slow bringing Henshaw through for that reason they'll be slow bringing Niyi through as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lads, Niyi is still pretty raw and has a lot of work to do on his game before he's ready for test level. Two years ago he had just signed from Trinity in the AIL. He hasn't exactly been a regular starter since then until Poolman got injured. Yeah he's lightning fast and can really embarrass a defence, but his defence, fielding and kicking still have a lot of improvement required. Plus, come on, we don't want to be losing all our players to internatonal windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

By the time November comes around Niyi will have two HC games (albeit one v Zebre). Let's see how he goes for the next six weeks.

I do find it a bit odd that posters constantly put down the pro12. Glasgow & Leinster are both European cup standard outfits and he showed his ability against those. It's not like he plays the Italian sides every week.

Yes it's only since the latter half of last season but I don't recall many posters shushing O'Driscoll when he made what I would consider a far more rash suggestion of Ringrose potentially starting in the 6N after a few months last season.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    By the time November comes around Niyi will have two HC games (albeit one v Zebre). Let's see how he goes for the next six weeks.

I do find it a bit odd that posters constantly put down the pro12. Glasgow & Leinster are both European cup standard outfits and he showed his ability against those. It's not like he plays the Italian sides every week.

Yes it's only since the latter half of last season but I don't recall many posters shushing O'Driscoll when he made what I would consider a far more rash suggestion of Ringrose potentially starting in the 6N after a few months last season.

Pretty sure the general consensus here on Ringrose was that it would have been mad to play him in the 6Ns, because it would have been. For the very same reasons.

It's not about putting down the Pro12. But the simple fact is that the Pro12 games are still a step down from Europe, which is itself a step down from international level.

As for Leinster being European Cup standard, I think we proved that last season we very much were not. Niyi looks good and has developed his game very well and very quickly. I've been hugely impressed by him and would rate him over Healy without question. And he will continue to get better. But at the end of the day he's still fairly raw and unproven.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Pretty sure the general consensus here on Ringrose was that it would have been mad to play him in the 6Ns, because it would have been. For the very same reasons.

It's not about putting down the Pro12. But the simple fact is that the Pro12 games are still a step down from Europe, which is itself a step down from international level.

As for Leinster being European Cup standard, I think we proved that last season we very much were not. Niyi looks good and has developed his game very well and very quickly. I've been hugely impressed by him and would rate him over Healy without question. And he will continue to get better. But at the end of the day he's still fairly raw and unproven.

Fair enough. I had thought there was a range of opinions but that it wasn't unanimously dismissed but I wouldn't have followed it too closely. Whatever about that one, Ben Teo was hugely hyped on here and as far as I recall he never had many great games in Europe and got found out fairly badly in Murrayfield.

Not trying to make it a Leinster Connacht thing just seems to be a difference in how pro12 games are weighted.

With Fitzgerald gone and the injury difficulties of the Ulster lads we're not exactly blessed with wingers at the moment. Would expect one of Niyi or Healy in the squad at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭flatty

I'm finding all the pessimism a bit odd tbh. Two games against two likely top four sides, and twenty-odd injuries. Get s few back. Connacht likely to win the next three, and be back at the races. Maybe a few pints too many in the summer, but good luck to them. Great year last year and it'll be decent this year too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Well in my defense I didn't put down Pro12 games. I suggested how team Ireland work and how Niyi may not fit

I looked at the tape of the Connacht game yesterday and in particular the last 20 minutes to try and understand how things came undone. So this is 'my' version of events.

At this point Connacht 11 Ospreys 10

On 62' Jack kicks the ball away from inside the 22, does not hit touch, Connacht defense rushing to cover, ball gets run to Connacht 22 and eventually leads to Ospreys penalty. Connacht 11 Ospreys 13. Mistake 1.

On 64' Jack delays grubber to Matt who runs offside (on the replay it is clear that Matt was not offside) but the delay by Jack made up Whitehouses opinion that he was. Niyi goes off at this point and is replaced with Dani but didn't look in any major discomfort (precautionary substitution).

On 68' up and under and while Dani should have contested he made a lame effort.

On 71' Try ospreys with physical power. Both Bealham and Loughs off at this stage

On 72' Head collision between Poolman and John Muldoon. Poolman looks really shook going off. Will be most surprised if he is available within a week or two. He really was meandering going off the pitch. Feel so sorry for him. He is plagued with injuries so his confidence must be at zero these days.

On 74' an awful pass by SOL to TOH. Intercepted. Try Ospreys

And here I digress. The difference between SOL and Carty. SOL will try something, get himself into trouble and try and magic his way out of the situation with something utterly insane. Carty on the other hand will never get himself into trouble. He will simply fling the ball along the line and leave the problem to somebody else. AJ was the guy in the middle of these two,knew when to pass, knew when to take the contact. And that's why we miss him so much.

On 76' Moloney gets pushed into touch, Ospreys win lineout, ball gets spread, Griffin makes a horrible mess of a tackle on Dan Evans who walks past Aki. And the problem here was two players Griffin and Aki. They simply were not communicating. Griffin, fair play to him, sped into the tackle but Aki didn't back him up. And if you don't back up players you get what we got. There is definitely an issue with Griffin and Aki at centre. If they don't work together there is simply no point in them playing on the same team.

So thats it. I would call this an analysis. Some may call it a critisism. I just like to think its realism. I agree with wp_rathead that Browne (I kinda like SOB2) will fit the second row Muldowney loss nicely. I am at a loss who to pick at 10 as they both have glaring weaknesses (I cannot see Jack do anything different than Jack does and he has been given enough opportunity. Maybe Shane will work out but he has to be more sensible in his play. I would rather Ronaldson with Aki at centre as they formed a secure partnership last year but it seems we won't see that until Craig recovers.

Its a very fine balance between winning a game and losing a game. Yes we had a poor preseason. We all say Zebre are poor but it takes AN EFFORT to beat any team in the PRO12. This year we have clear weaknesses in our team that are open to be exploited.

Ok thats enough before I break into a full essay :-)

Fair enough. I had thought there was a range of opinions but that it wasn't unanimously dismissed but I wouldn't have followed it too closely. Whatever about that one, Ben Teo was hugely hyped on here and as far as I recall he never had many great games in Europe and got found out fairly badly in Murrayfield.

Not trying to make it a Leinster Connacht thing just seems to be a difference in how pro12 games are weighted.

With Fitzgerald gone and the injury difficulties of the Ulster lads we're not exactly blessed with wingers at the moment. Would expect one of Niyi or Healy in the squad at least.

There are always a range of opinions though. The general consensus on Ringrose was that it was too early for him. It was. Same for Niyi.

As for Te'o I loved the guy, but he was always far better at 13 than 12. For a guy who was leaving and owed us nothing though he still gave it his all which earned him even greater respect.

Finally, the Pro12 should be weighted differently. It is the lowest rung on the ladder for senior pros. That's not meant to disrespect the competition. I love the thing. It's just a reality though, like it is in England and in France. There are proportionally more weaker teams in domestic competitions.

flogthebog wrote: »
    Ok thats enough before I break into a full essay :-)

:pac:

• Advertisement

There are always a range of opinions though. The general consensus on Ringrose was that it was too early for him. It was. Same for Niyi.

As for Te'o I loved the guy, but he was always far better at 13 than 12. For a guy who was leaving and owed us nothing though he still gave it his all which earned him even greater respect.

Finally, the Pro12 should be weighted differently. It is the lowest rung on the ladder for senior pros. That's not meant to disrespect the competition. I love the thing. It's just a reality though, like it is in England and in France. There are proportionally more weaker teams in domestic competitions.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant different pro12 games were being weighted differently, for example I thought Teo got undue praise for being a bit of a flat track bully against certain sides in the Pro12 and not delivering much in Europe but Connacht players tended to be dismissed on the basis of only having done it in the Pro12. But they have their opportunity in Europe this season so we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Carty has some good aspects to his game, but unfortunately he seems to be getting nowhere improving his glaring weaknesses. He makes one or two breaks when he takes it on himself are superb and some of his territorial kicking from hand has been brilliant. On the other hand his penalty taking, from hand or the tee, can be atrocious, and as people have repeatedly pointed out he can have a tendency to just shovel the ball along the line with little creativity.

Sorry I wasn't very clear. I meant different pro12 games were being weighted differently, for example I thought Teo got undue praise for being a bit of a flat track bully against certain sides in the Pro12 and not delivering much in Europe but Connacht players tended to be dismissed on the basis of only having done it in the Pro12. But they have their opportunity in Europe this season so we'll see what happens.

It's one thing praising a provincial player from a provincial perspective and another touting them for international games in the coming months.

For example praising Niyi from a Connacht perspective makes sense. I've praised the guy in that regard. The same way I praised Te'o. Both are guys who showed a real ability to develop their games in a relatively short space of time and do well at Pro12 level. But I wouldn't have Te'o starting for Ireland (if he were qualified) off the back of those performances. I've even commented on it being too early for him to be brought into the England squad. It's also worth pointing out too though that Te'o built his reputation over 2 seasons. Niyi has only had 1, the first half of which he was quiet.

I want to see Niyi push on, just like I want to see Sweetnam push on. As you said we are short of quality wingers in Ireland at the moment. But I've not seen enough from either yet to suggest they are ready to play international rugby under Joe Schmidt. My perspective may change in a few weeks if he shows that he can transfer his Pro12 form from the back end of last season into the game against Toulouse. That's the next test for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Would be pretty disappointed if Niyi isn't involved against Canada in the autumn. Don't expect him to be for the big games as Joe will go with what he knows for those. Ireland doesn't produce very many explosive fast twitch athletes like Niyi and what he needs is more good coaching. He gets it at Connacht but getting more from Schmidt/Farrell, etc is what he needs to progress. Don't really buy the he has to do it in Europe first argument. Glasgow are very possibly a better side than Toulouse so why does doing it against Toulouse count for anything extra? Niyi is not 21 either. He's 25. Leave it until all the rough edges are knocked off him and he might not make his international debut until he's 27. Don't think he's at an age where you can say let him develop for a few more years before we might give him a opportunity eventually.

We're too slow in Ireland I think in general in trusting young players with lads often not making debuts until they are in their mid 20's.

Would be pretty disappointed if Niyi isn't involved against Canada in the autumn. Don't expect him to be for the big games as Joe will go with what he knows for those. Ireland doesn't produce very many explosive fast twitch athletes like Niyi and what he needs is more good coaching. He gets it at Connacht but getting more from Schmidt/Farrell, etc is what he needs to progress. Don't really buy the he has to do it in Europe first argument. Glasgow are very possibly a better side than Toulouse so why does doing it against Toulouse count for anything extra? Niyi is not 21 either. He's 25. Leave it until all the rough edges are knocked off him and he might not make his international debut until he's 27. Don't think he's at an age where you can say let him develop for a few more years before we might give him a opportunity eventually.

We're too slow in Ireland I think in general in trusting young players with lads often not making debuts until they are in their mid 20's.

This came up before. Joe is the most progressive coach for introducing talent we've had in the professional era and we introduce around 1 a year fewer than the All Blacks. France is on the opposite end of the scale constantly bringing in new faces and are crap as a result.

The Canada game will be two things:

1. Not a first choice team
    2. Not the second choice team a lot of people are going to want

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

#NiyiForTheLions

Prepare to be disappointed so. The fact that he only made it this far at 25 is utterly irrelevant. "Ah give him a go now cos in a few years he'll be too old". It's not the feckin' Community Games we're talking about here. The Irish team isn't there to give guys opportunities.

This happens every year with someone. Be it Gilroy in Ulster, Ringrose in Leinster or whoever. The fact is there is a huge jump from Pro12 to international rugby, never mind all the work involved in getting used to a totally different team with a totally different game plan. People constantly forget that because of their particular flavour of the month. It's not like NZ where the focus on skills is pretty much the same throughout the country and so young guys are able to adapt to the national set-up easier. We have a completely different set up at national level compared to the provinces. You don't just flick a switch and just suddenly know it all and be good at it.

Prepare to be disappointed so. The fact that he only made it this far at 25 is utterly irrelevant. "Ah give him a go now cos in a few years he'll be too old". It's not the feckin' Community Games we're talking about here. The Irish team isn't there to give guys opportunities.

This happens every year with someone. Be it Gilroy in Ulster, Ringrose in Leinster or whoever. The fact is there is a huge jump from Pro12 to international rugby, never mind all the work involved in getting used to a totally different team with a totally different game plan. People constantly forget that because of their particular flavour of the month. It's not like NZ where the focus on skills is pretty much the same throughout the country and so young guys are able to adapt to the national set-up easier. We have a completely different set up at national level compared to the provinces. You don't just flick a switch and just suddenly know it all and be good at it.
    Mollyjh, I fight that argument so hard. I don't say its not true but it bothers me so bad. No you cannot flick a switch. But Joe's unwillingness to change anything is so utterly frustrating.

Would Niyi make a difference. Not in the slightest. Will Matt Healy make any impact in the Irish team. Absolutely none. Will Tiernan do something useful. Probably. So why is this my opinion? I said it before. Joe will simply stand and fight.

Niyi and Matt don't stand. They want to excite. Tiernan is defensively rock solid and his recycling is faultless. And there ya go. Aint no running game at team Ireland.

Unless you play a team like canada where it suffers being irrellevant

Mollyjh, I fight that argument so hard. I don't say its not true but it bothers me so bad. No you cannot flick a switch. But Joe's unwillingness to change anything is so utterly frustrating.

Would Niyi make a difference. Not in the slightest. Will Matt Healy make any impact in the Irish team. Absolutely none. Will Tiernan do something useful. Probably. So why is this my opinion? I said it before. Joe will simply stand and fight.

Niyi and Matt don't stand. They want to excite. Tiernan is defensively rock solid and his recycling is faultless. And there ya go. Aint no running game at team Ireland.

Joes unwillingness to change? Change what? Our game plan? Because we're on our 3rd pretty distinct game plan at this stage. This sort of lazy analysis bugs the hell out of me. And it's always used in the same context. It's always used when a player from someone's province isn't getting selected when they believe they should. Niyi has barely had good games numbering double digits at this stage, and none of those have been at Champions Cup level. It really isn't that big a deal if he isn't immediately picked to play for his country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Don't think anyone is saying Niyi should be lining out against New Zealand but there are very limited opportunities in the international calendar for newcomers to be given a chance and Canada is one of those games. Not to mention just the experience of being in camp and receiving coaching in that environment might be more important than even playing in the game itself. Seems a no brainer to me especially given we are not exactly flush with quality wings at the moment. Let alone ones with genuine international pace. Of course we could just recycle the same heads again even against Canada.

Don't think anyone is saying Niyi should be lining out against New Zealand but there are very limited opportunities in the international calendar for newcomers to be given a chance and Canada is one of those games. Not to mention just the experience of being in camp and receiving coaching in that environment might be more important than even playing in the game itself. Seems a no brainer to me especially given we are not exactly flush with quality wings at the moment. Let alone ones with genuine international pace. Of course we could just recycle the same heads again even against Canada.

Newcomers will get brought into the training squad and will have to earn a place from there. International tests aren't there to give lads a crack just because.

its always a debate.i pointed out our wingers that do not score tries. why? or maybe you didnt notice? every push is infield into one point. you might as well have our wingers selling tickets

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Do you even watch ireland games?

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Do you even watch ireland games?
    right. Last try from trimble in a decent game (ie non italy) same with earls. explain. I can't even honestly remember

right. Last try from trimble in a decent game (ie non italy) same with earls. explain. I can't even honestly remember

Who cares. Mike Ross could score all of Irelands tries in the AIs and the next 6n and i couldnt care less once the team gets results. There is no rule in rugby that says only wingers must score tries. Your criticism of the ireland gameplan shows you dont watch the games properly.

• Advertisement

Adbrowne wrote: »
    Who cares. Mike Ross could score all of Irelands tries in the AIs and the next 6n and i couldnt care less once the team gets results. There is no rule in rugby that says only wingers must score tries. Your criticism of the ireland gameplan shows you dont watch the games properly.

Mike Ross is not a rugby player. He's a piece of meat. He does not qualify. Please use better example. I struggle with folks attempts to justify this game. Mike Ross is a tank. Nothing else. Just a big useless tank.

I did appreciate the viewpoint given by previous poster that we have 7 sub's but can only make 3 replacements. So no longer these big useless sods. And we now we play a feckin game not this crushing (to be replaced by crushing, new substituted front row) ****e.

Rules need to change. I don't want to see all these head injuries, I really really don't want to see these big immobile feckers. They add nothing to the game. I want to see rugby, not 10 minutes setting a scrum.

Rules need to change. I don't want to see all these head injuries, I really really don't want to see these big immobile feckers. They add nothing to the game. I want to see rugby, not 10 minutes setting a scrum.

What are you about with this? What do you mean about head injuries

Mike Ross is not a rugby player. He's a piece of meat. He does not qualify. Please use better example. I struggle with folks attempts to justify this game. Mike Ross is a tank. Nothing else. Just a big useless tank.

I did appreciate the viewpoint given by previous poster that we have 7 sub's but can only make 3 replacements. So no longer these big useless sods. And we now we play a feckin game not this crushing (to be replaced by crushing, new substituted front row) ****e.

636029219460578542668973824_Walk%20Away.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I've not been around her much in the last couple of months..... I was wondering where Ouncer had gone... :-)

http://www.the42.ie/marnitz-boshoff-connacht-lions-release-2977448-Sep2016/"]Squad update from Lam

Connacht tried to get Boshoff released early, but Lions refused
    Fox-Matamua is out until November with a hamstring injury
    Rowland out for 4-6 weeks
    Poolman RTP
    Buckley back training after completing RTP Wohooooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No news on Niyi, Carty or Marmion being injured so that's a major plus in its own right

I'm expecting Dillane to not be involved in this one and Romaine to be on the bench with Stevenson starting with Qualter

oh, and is the Zebre game no longer being broadcast on TG4? seems to be gone from the pro12 broadcast schedule

wp_rathead wrote: »
    oh, and is the Zebre game no longer being broadcast on TG4? seems to be gone from the pro12 broadcast schedule

Very odd I checked yesterday and it was listed as TG4, I just checked now and the match isn't listed at all on the broadcast page, which usually has a match even if it's not going to be shown

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Archives of Pain, Week 3. Updated info in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Danie Poolman|Concussion|Ospreys (H)|Protocols
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Nathan White|Concussion (Long Term)|Last Season|Unknown
    Quinn Roux|Hip|Pre-Season|Late September
    Andrew Browne|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Jake Heenan|Hand Gash|Pre-Season|Early October
    Sean O’Brien|Ankle|Pre-Season|Early October
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Stephen Kerins|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September/Early October
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Rory Parata|Knee|AIL - September|Early October
    Peter Robb|Concussion|Glasgow (H)|Protocols
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Cian Kelleher|Hip|Glasgow (H)|Soon
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

It now stands at 20 players but on the plus side we have silky skilled substitute scrumhalf Denis Buckley back.

Robbo wrote: »
    The Archives of Pain, Week 3. Updated info in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Danie Poolman|Concussion|Ospreys (H)|Protocols
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Nathan White|Concussion (Long Term)|Last Season|Unknown
    Quinn Roux|Hip|Pre-Season|Late September
    Andrew Browne|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Jake Heenan|Hand Gash|Pre-Season|Early October
    Sean O’Brien|Ankle|Pre-Season|Early October
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Stephen Kerins|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September/Early October
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Rory Parata|Knee|AIL - September|Early October
    Peter Robb|Concussion|Glasgow (H)|Protocols
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Cian Kelleher|Hip|Glasgow (H)|Soon
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

It now stands at 20 players but on the plus side we have silky skilled substitute scrumhalf Denis Buckley back.

Injured/Unavailable team:

3.White
    4.Roux
    5.Browne
    6.SOB
    7.Heenan
    8.Masterson
    9.Cooney
    10.Boshoff
    11.Gaffney
    12.Ronaldson
    13.Parata
    14.Poolman
    15.Kelleher

Replacements
    19.Marshall
    20.Fox-Matamua
    21.Lowndes
    22.Robb
    23.Leader

Not used:
    Rowland
    Kerrins

Add a couple of props and hookers and that team could easily do a job against Zebre this weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

b.gud wrote: »
    Injured/Unavailable team:

Add a couple of props and hookers and that team could easily do a job against Zebre this weekend

I think a few of them are injured

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

b.gud wrote: »
    Very odd I checked yesterday and it was listed as TG4, I just checked now and the match isn't listed at all on the broadcast page, which usually has a match even if it's not going to be shown

There is no host broadcaster in place, so nobody to provide the pictures.

KevinK wrote: »
    I think a few of them are injured

Which ones? Haven't seen any of them in the recent injury updates
    There is no host broadcaster in place, so nobody to provide the pictures.

Yeah I know, but yesterday they had TG4 listed and for other matches that don't have a broadcaster in place they still show the match on http://www.pro12rugby.com/broadcast-schedule/ with an empty space beside it, see Treviso vs Dragons in round 4. The Connacht match seems to have completely disappeared though which is what I thought was weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Will Connacht have anyone left standing by the end of the season? There injury list is ridiculous an its getting worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Will Connacht have anyone left standing by the end of the season? There injury list is ridiculous an its getting worse.

It was the same at one stage last season too. I guess we just have to hold out until we get a few bodies back. We managed it very well last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Boshoff not in the Lions squad again this week. Is he injured ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

wp_rathead wrote: »
    No news on Niyi, Carty or Marmion being injured so that's a major plus in its own right

I'm expecting Dillane to not be involved in this one and Romaine to be on the bench with Stevenson starting with Qualter

Romaine not travelling, playing with Buccs this weekend

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

A utility back called Stacey Ili has been signed. Pat says he's been looking at him for a while, which is encouraging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

No coverage on TG4 anymore :(
    Bit of a balls

I'm surprised IRFU letting us play Dillane for 3rd straight game if thats the case Romaine is with Buccs

Don't entirely understand the Ili signing but I trust Lam - possibly a gem. 4 tries in 8 games last season not too be sneezed at..

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Is this not a bit bizarre like? Is there no academy or AIL player who could have come in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Is this not a bit bizarre like? Is there no academy or AIL player who could have come in?
    Pat has a good history in bringing in AIL and academy players so I guess he must see something in him.

Why's it bizzare? They don't mention a contract length but it doesn't seem like a medical joker or anything. Seems to me that Pat just rates him and this is a run of the mill signing.

I was thinking the same. Personally I think we have enough backs already in the squad. Lam is a shrude operator so I'd say this guy might have something they don't. Time will tell I suppose.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Why's it bizzare? They don't mention a contract length but it doesn't seem like a medical joker or anything. Seems to me that Pat just rates him and this is a run of the mill signing.

I'd never heard of him, so I googled him and I'm still none the wiser. He seems to have very little pro rugby experience at any sort of level. He might be great, I've no idea, just seems odd.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of him, so I googled him and I'm still none the wiser. He seems to have very little pro rugby experience at any sort of level. He might be great, I've no idea, just seems odd.

To be fair, Pat has a record for signing unknown or not very well known Kiwis who he sees potential in. A lot of his signings turn out to be great pieces of business too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement