Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

DGRulz wrote: »
    If memory serves correct if it's abandoned before 60 mins is played I think it's replayed.

Be nice to be able to hit the reset button :D

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

connacht twitter saying decision in 10 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

James Connolly dad saying match abandoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Let off the hook in a massive way

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

wp_rathead wrote: »
    James Connolly dad saying match abandoned

connacht twitter. will flogthebog get his TOH money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Awfully harsh on Zebre, but thank God for that, get a second chance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Game abandoned according to planet rugby. I think its Karma for the 350 days a year rain we get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Why is the game not just restarted from where it is like every other major sport?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Adbrowne wrote: »
    connacht twitter. will flogthebog get his TOH money?
    The thought did cross my mind :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Off the hook big time but it doesn't hide the performance. That panic button is getting closer to being hit.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Off the hook big time but it doesn't hide the performance. That panic button is getting closer to being hit.

Open the chequebook and re-sign Aly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I actually really feel for Zebre
    They were on for a TBP win

truck.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Replay the game tomorrow?

Not a chance, too much of an injury risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

There's a serious mental block in Connacht at the moment. Communication non existent, defensive organisation non existent, the option of runners shoulders aren't there.

I'm starting to worry if I'm honest. Players don't become bad over night but when a funk sets in it definitely doesn't get fixed overnight

Not a chance, too much of an injury risk.

Especially for Irish players.

Especially for Irish players.

9nohQh4.jpg

You missed the burn so you shouldn't really be gloating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Only if it hadn't kicked off in the first place I think.

• Advertisement

There's a serious mental block in Connacht at the moment. Communication non existent, defensive organisation non existent, the option of runners shoulders aren't there.

I'm starting to worry if I'm honest. Players don't become bad over night but when a funk sets in it definitely doesn't get fixed overnight

Communication would seem to be a huge issue. Huge gaps everywhere and teams are running in trys for fun against us. You look at a starting 15 and say to yourself 'nothing wrong with that team'. The players are good enough. AJ come back please. You always made the right choices at the right time.

On a personal bright note bookie paid up without blinking an eyelid. All he asked was if the weather really was as bad as he had heard. He obviously knew the game had been abandoned.

I see that the42.ie has used zzippys version of the game

The match was postponed at half-time with the Italians leading by 22-10 following biblical weather just before the break.

You missed the burn so you shouldn't really be gloating.

You appear to be new here, so here's a bit of advice. Spamming the same topic across multiple threads, when you've been warned about it on one, is a surefire way to a quick ban. Change the record, now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

ess6W8Q.gif

61905485.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Well that was a freebie.

They have had their chances now, it's time to start putting performances together.
    Hangovers from last season and lack of pre-season do not explain what's going on now.
    If there is a lack of trust with the new players that have come, or a inferiority/superiority complex, or just lack of fitness, then the lads have to get over it.

I would imagine it's going to be a week of defensive drills this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

We can't judge how we will do in Champions Cup anyway

Add Bealham, White, the Dillane/Browne (or Roux) pairing, SOB 2.0, Heenan, Boshoff, Marmion in a better fitness, Robb, Ronaldson, newcomer lli. FFS it can turn to be a completely different team.

connachta wrote: »

Add Bealham, White, the Dillane/Browne (or Roux) pairing, SOB 2.0, Heenan, Boshoff, Marmion in a better fitness, Robb, Ronaldson, newcomer lli. FFS it can turn to be a completely different team.
    maybe a different team connachta but will different players yield a different result? a team plays to a strategy. none of the players on that field today were shoddy players. what was shoddy was the performance. different players wont change that

flogthebog wrote: »

maybe a different team connachta but will different players yield a different result? a team plays to a strategy. none of the players on that field today were shoddy players. what was shoddy was the performance. different players wont change that
    Of cours to estimate when the ship will "take off" is unsure, but I'm convinced it could, and massively

Marmion and Browne played their respective 1st games after delayed preseason, they should have their "real fitness best" later in October.
    Robb and Roux are physical elements we badly missed. Same for "game managers" Ronaldson and Boshoff
    We conceeded a lot of turnovers, Heenan and SOB are great inside the rucks.
    Yes, there's a "strategic" part too, so who knows when and how much all those guys will improved the overall level, but they will, surely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Two things struck me today
    1. Players were being tackled and looking for the offload but the support runners just weren't there. Noticed this quiet a few times.
    2. The number of unforced handling errors. It seemed to be a lot.

• Advertisement

Of cours to estimate when the ship will "take off" is unsure, but I'm convinced it could, and massively

Marmion and Browne played their respective 1st games after delayed preseason, they should have their "real fitness best" later in October.
    Robb and Roux are physical elements we badly missed. Same for "game managers" Ronaldson and Boshoff
    We conceeded a lot of turnovers, Heenan and SOB are great inside the rucks.
    Yes, there's a "strategic" part too, so who knows when and how much all those guys will improved the overall level, but they will, surely.

If I were to qualify the team.
    Tiernan is a fecking seriously good full back and generated income for me. Matt is constantly questioned, its never-ending. Niyi is simply mental. Joe pay attention. Blade has been so poor. Carty is even worse. The 9/10 axis is simply, god i want to nice about this, utterly awful. Its hard to blame the rest of the team when the functional issue is so obvious

Supporters should retain their tickets which were issued for today’s match as they will be valid for the rearranged fixture.

obviously flights and hotel accomodation will be accommodated also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Still no excuse for what's gone on so far this season though. The team out there today was more than good enough to beat Zebre.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

The lack of pre season or number of injured is no longer an excuse for performances.
    We had, on paper, a better team than zebre, and a team that beats them other seasons, and yet we were going to get beaten out the gate.
    An act of God saved us.
    the champions cup could be embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The only thing that seems to be right is the scrum. There is little to no communication in defence and not many support runners in attack. Carthys management is not good. Headless chicken moments. Do we have s dedicated defence coach?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭KBurke85

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    The only thing that seems to be right is the scrum. There is little to no communication in defence and not many support runners in attack. Carthys management is not good. Headless chicken moments. Do we have s dedicated defence coach?

I don't think we've had a dedicated defence coach in all Pat's time here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭ionapaul

I bought two tickets for the Connacht-Toulouse game (in the new seated stand) and found out yesterday that I won't be able to make it to Galway that weekend (will have to make do watching on TV). Does anyone know the best place for me to try to dispose of them? Can you offer tickets on the Connacht Clan forum?

ionapaul wrote: »
    I bought two tickets for the Connacht-Toulouse game (in the new seated stand) and found out yesterday that I won't be able to make it to Galway that weekend (will have to make do watching on TV). Does anyone know the best place for me to try to dispose of them? Can you offer tickets on the Connacht Clan forum?

You can offer them there on the Clan for face value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Robbo wrote: »
    The Archives of Pain, Week 3. Updated info in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Danie Poolman|Concussion|Ospreys (H)|Protocols
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Nathan White|Concussion (Long Term)|Last Season|Unknown
    Quinn Roux|Hip|Pre-Season|Late September
    Andrew Browne|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Jake Heenan|Hand Gash|Pre-Season|Early October
    Sean O Brien|Ankle|Pre-Season|Early October
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Stephen Kerins|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September/Early October
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Rory Parata|Knee|AIL - September|Early October
    Peter Robb|Concussion|Glasgow (H)|Protocols
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Cian Kelleher|Hip|Glasgow (H)|Soon
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

It now stands at 20 players but on the plus side we have silky skilled substitute scrumhalf Denis Buckley back.

That list will be getting significantly shorter over the next two weeks.
    Ronaldson and Robb will be important for the backs.
    Roux and Heenan for the forwards.

I presume Bealham will be expected back this week?
    Is there ANY indication what is going on with White?

• Advertisement

I was thinking about White because of that last concussion I wonder is there a possibility he's a part of the playing squad but effectively the scrum coach. Keeps an elder statesman voice around and all his experience can be passed on the the many young props coming through. He won't play much if at all bit will help bring along younger players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Next week, it will be six months since White last played. He's 35 years old and he's a prop.

He should not be allowed to play again. It's an awful way to go out but he can't be allowed back on a pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Next week, it will be six months since White last played. He's 35 years old and he's a prop.

He should not be allowed to play again. It's an awful way to go out but he can't be allowed back on a pitch.

Playing devil's advocate. Mike McCarthy returned after being 'stood down'. Forgive my ignorance...what is the difference here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Playing devil's advocate. Mike McCarthy returned after being 'stood down'. Forgive my ignorance...what is the difference here?

No difference really. I was not confident at all that McCarthy would make it back and tbh I'm not it's in his best interests either.

I suppose they can only make the call once he's examined by a neurologist and such, but still. Big risks for not much gain, with players of that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

I agree. I'd love to see him play again but at this stage of his career does he really need to risk it ? Keeping him as scrum coach would be a good move I think. The whole Craig Clarke thing probably has the branch hypervigilant along with McSharry this year.

Its really hard to get your head around the change in connacht fortunes. first excuse was preseason. second excuse was number of injured. And then the excuses really ran out in Parma. In the first three games the teams selected were not shoddy.

Now I am by no means a Jack fan, but he simply is not the only one at fault here. It bemuses me watching players trying to mix things that simply don't mix. And then I have this nagging thing in my head that says that because connacht won the pro12 last year well we will obviously be able to replicate with minimal effort.

We are of course pro12 champions so the next grade is european cup. And while many may not agree there is the case that one barrier has been achieved so we have decided we are better somehow.

i suspect cardiff may win the pro12 this year. and i think thats great. i just would like to know how we are going to give our team the necessary kick up the arse they obviously need.

i would like to see the ronaldson aki combo again from last season. it did seem to be solid. So thats one thing. Then Blade (and to be fair Marmion) have been poor. Carty and SOL are certainly not inspirational.

And then you come to the pack and here lineout and scrum seems solid enough but are they providing the openings. God its so hard to assess. That said if pat don't have enough video evidence at this stage i would worry.

On a positive note I look forward to see the wade adeloukum combat against wasps. they are both seriously exciting players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Squad update

Browne, Roux and Heenan all fully training and available to play this weekend

Roberston-McCoy out for 6-8 weeks with hand injury suffered in training last week
    Soroka injured his foot in a club game, awaiting scan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

b.gud wrote: »
    Squad update

Roberston-McCoy out for 6-8 weeks with hand injury suffered in training last week

No word on bealham which is kinda strange. With an illness i thought he might be back

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

freyners wrote: »
    No word on bealham which is kinda strange. With an illness i thought he might be back

The fact that he's not mentioned may be a good thing, it may have been something small and they didn't feel it was worth mentioning. At least that's what I'm hoping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

b.gud wrote: »
    Squad update

Great to have Heenan back with Nepia-Fox out for a few weeks. Slowly but surely getting a few bodies back.

Heenan and Roux back for Scarlets
    MASSIVE BOOST
    too bad we're away from home
    because a 2nd row composed of Roux/Dillane with Browne on the bench
    and a back-row Heenan/Muldoon/McKeon
    is IMO the best we have

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement