Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

freyners wrote: »
    Hoping for a newer gif this weekend, preferably on Liam Williams

Post all the Grenoble gifs! Always makes me feel good.

Liam Williams getting run over would be stickied in the opening post I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Clegg wrote: »
    That's a really good backline bar 10.

Hmm, if Ronaldson was fit I'd want him to replace Griffin at 12 rather than replace Carty at 10 in that backline..

As said elsewhere I'd love to see Ronaldson-Robb-Aki axis mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Scarlets Team

15 Aled Thomas, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens [c], 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Luke Garrett, Peter Edwards, Lewis Rawlins, Morgan Allen, Aled Davies, Scott Williams, Will Boyde

That looks like a lot of forwards on the bench.

It's going to be bosh bosh bosh tomorrow.

Yaaaaaayyy Excited!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Scarlets Team

15 Aled Thomas, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 Steff Evans, 10 Rhys Patchell, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Wyn Jones, 2 Ken Owens [c], 3 Werner Kruger, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Aaron Shingler, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Ryan Elias, Luke Garrett, Peter Edwards, Lewis Rawlins, Morgan Allen, Aled Davies, Scott Williams, Will Boyde

That looks like a lot of forwards on the bench.

It's going to be bosh bosh bosh tomorrow.

Yaaaaaayyy Excited!!!:D:D:D

That's a fairly talented starting backline for the Scarlets though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

That back line worries me.
    We've been on the end of 2.5 hidings. If we have another one there's something really wrong going on.

• Advertisement

I am really looking forward to seeing Ultan pack down with Bundee.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

mccarty at 10, better player than OL
    aki at 13 needs a big game
    roux to come into the row and push dilliane to backrow
    would give kelleher a run at the back 3, if not the start at least 20 mins
    would have ronalson at 12 when fit
    The Dillane option in the backrow made me wonder if this poster on some very strong medication. I would propose many a different combination but never would I have suggested Ultan in the backrow.

And now that I look at the complete team selection I can't really say that Dillane in the back row is a bad choice at all

wow penalty try to ulster. ian davies is as shocking a referee as there is. and then you have clancy to ref our game tomorrow and you groan at the thought. hard to play rugby when these are the lads who are officiating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

flogthebog wrote: »
    wow penalty try to ulster. ian davies is as shocking a referee as there is. and then you have clancy to ref our game tomorrow and you groan at the thought. hard to play rugby when these are the lads who are officiating.

Well he also disallowed a great Ulster maul try for reasons that are complete and utter nonsense. Even the tmo said it was fine. It was a clear no arm tackle in the act of scoring that led to the correct decision to award the p.t.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Well he also disallowed a great Ulster maul try for reasons that are complete and utter nonsense. Even the tmo said it was fine. It was a clear no arm tackle in the act of scoring that led to the correct decision to award the p.t.
    I agree. It was two wrong decisions that eventually led to the right conclusion. But that doesn't take away from the fact that all the decisions were wrong and obviously hapless. There are so many poor decisions by these folks its undermining the game. Clancy is beyond a class act. You don't have a clue what he will do next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭testtech05

Looks like boschoff not in the 23 for the lion's again today. I don't get to see much Currie cup but does someone know is he injured or just not getting picked? If it's the later should we be a bit worried by that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

testtech05 wrote: »
    Looks like boschoff not in the 23 for the lion's again today. I don't get to see much Currie cup but does someone know is he injured or just not getting picked? If it's the later should we be a bit worried by that?

He is not being picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

To have a fresh player available? No.
    Let's just hope Lions lose today. If so, Manitz will come here next week in theory

connachta wrote: »
    Let's just hope Lions lose today. If so, Manitz will come here next week in theory

I agree good to get a fresh player but I meant more so is he gonna be the saviour some people are painting him to be if he cant get in their team? Maybe it's more to do with them looking towards players who are gonna be there going forward but was just curious! Time will tell i guess!! Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

connachta wrote: »

They have another match next Friday, so it would be the week after at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I agree good to get a fresh player but I meant more so is he gonna be the saviour some people are painting him to be if he cant get in their team? Maybe it's more to do with them looking towards players who are gonna be there going forward but was just curious! Time will tell i guess!! Cheers

From what I read around the time we signed him they seemed to be a bit bitter that he was leaving so I think they might be punishing him. Pat tried to see if they would release him early but they said no

Looking at the pro12 to date, and connacht aside, we are looking at the usual two italian sides holding up the lower positions. We are looking at dragons possibly being even bottom. Edinburgh look absolutely shocking.

On the other side leinster look promising, glasgow won't be far away, ospreys (what happened to them last year) look great, cardiff (a team I could never understand how they underachieved) will be there.

Ulster, always a conundrum but pack has always been an issue. Munster, drab. Connacht disappointing.

But the indicators are there. Connacht need a performance tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Looking at the pro12 to date, and connacht aside, we are looking at the usual two italian sides holding up the lower positions. We are looking at dragons possibly being even bottom. Edinburgh look absolutely shocking.

On the other side leinster look promising, glasgow won't be far away, ospreys (what happened to them last year) look great, cardiff (a team I could never understand how they underachieved) will be there.

Ulster, always a conundrum but pack has always been an issue. Munster, drab. Connacht disappointing.

But the indicators are there. Connacht need a performance tonight.

Its easy to look great when your playing Italians sides at home twice and a Connacht team with no defence. Last night Osperys showed there true colours. I dont get how Ulster have a problem up front, there pack so far has looked pretty good.

Browne has failed late fitness test :( McKeown in to start and Connolly to the bench.

oh clancy, you wreck my head

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Sitting in the airport waiting for a delayed flight so can't watch the match...

We seem to be giving away a lot of penalties. Poor discipline, unlucky or both? Thank jaysus none of the Scarlets lads brought their kicking boots...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Bazzo wrote: »
    Sitting in the airport waiting for a delayed flight so can't watch the match...

We seem to be giving away a lot of penalties. Poor discipline, unlucky or both? Thank jaysus none of the Scarlets lads brought their kicking boots...

Clancy... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    Clancy... :rolleyes:

This. Buckley at one point got into a perfect jackal position and had his hands on the ball for several seconds before Clancy decided he should give a pen. He's giving Scarlets every opportunity an giving Connacht none.

molloyjh wrote: »
    This. Buckley at one point got into a perfect jackal position and had his hands on the ball for several seconds before Clancy decided he should give a pen. He's giving Scarlets every opportunity an giving Connacht none.

He had a perfect jackal earlier on in our 22, right in front of Clancy, and he ignored it and let him get cleared out, then pinged him for off the feet a phase later. He's simply rubbish at refereeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Zzippy wrote: »
    He had a perfect jackal earlier on in our 22, right in front of Clancy, and he ignored it and let him get cleared out, then pinged him for off the feet a phase later. He's simply rubbish at refereeing.

Time him when Scarlets jackal though. He's giving those decisions far quicker. Connacht have to work harder for their turnovers in that area.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Time him when Scarlets jackal though. He's giving those decisions far quicker. Connacht have to work harder for their turnovers in that area.

Yep, he's letting Scarlets hang on for ages before giving a penalty, but any hint of a Connacht player holding on and he's pinging them straight away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

S4C as bearla ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

after the hour played we saw the huge gap between

Marmion and Blade
    Roux and Steevenson
    Bealham and JP Cooney
    Buckley and Loughney
    All soooooo slow compared to starters
    McCarthney and Heff (lineout darts)

And we realise how we missed White/McCoy or Soroka/Browne/Cooney/Boshoff
    On a (rather) positive note, we won't see in Connacht anything more from TOH for most of the international windows, he's just tremedous player, strong in everythink you can ask from a FB

What is the story with all the kicking??

Marmion is obviously practicing his box kicking for Joe on Connacht's time but Jack really needs to stop the big looping cross field kicks in the pissing rain and dink a few over the top (granted he screwed a few of them up too against Glasgow as well).The few kicks down the length of the field tonight worked out well. Opposition defenses have been in our faces since day one, we need to push them back a bit.

There was once or twice when I was fully expecting Healy to do his kick down the line and sprint after it, but no go. It was perfect conditions to put their backs under pressure with that.

Is there any reason the TMO couldn't call back play for hands in the ruck by Scarlets for their try?

• Advertisement

What is the story with all the kicking??

Marmion is obviously practicing his box kicking for Joe on Connacht's time but Jack really needs to stop the big looping cross field kicks in the pissing rain and dink a few over the top (granted he screwed a few of them up too against Glasgow as well).The few kicks down the length of the field tonight worked out well. Opposition defenses have been in our faces since day one, we need to push them back a bit.

There was once or twice when I was fully expecting Healy to do his kick down the line and sprint after it, but no go. It was perfect conditions to put their backs under pressure with that.

Is there any reason the TMO couldn't call back play for hands in the ruck by Scarlets for their try?

AFAIK the TMO can only get involved when requested by the ref, or for serious foul play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Have a read of Paragraph 2 of this link:- http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Aug_14_EN.pdf

and tell us what you think.

Squatter wrote: »
    Have a read of Paragraph 2 of this link:- http://laws.worldrugby.org/downloads/TMO_Protocol_Aug_14_EN.pdf

and tell us what you think.

I think

1) Have they not updated this since 2014? That's surprising.
    2)According to this,He could have, but Clancy chose to not ask a pertinent question
    3)That post comes across as quiet snarky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

3)That post comes across as quiet snarky.

As opposed to quite snarky? :P

have to say that (and clancy is not my favourite, shock, horror) that was an abysmal performance. Carty is beyond help. His kicks are utterly hopeless and his performances match his kicks. I despair

Squatter wrote: »
    As opposed to quite snarky? :P

Yes, quiet snarky - if it had been written in caps it would have seemed loud snarky.
    :D

• Advertisement

a new term on connacht rugby. snarky. so be it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's so wet and crap here in Llanelli

i ask a question. is this the end of john muldoon?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

i ask a question. is this the end of john muldoon?

Why did he get a bad injury or something ?

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I think you know where i'm at. Muldoon has been a servant to connacht for milleniums. If you look at the team today (lets say yesterday, Muldowney was such a leader for the pack) today mccartney. There is no player taking on the responsibility as john is, lets be blunt, not making any impact. So I said it, I don't wish to say it, I don't wish to be critical of our legend, but its said

• Advertisement

FACECUTTR wrote: »

No, he had some important tackles and crucial turnovers.
    Too many people are beginning to agree with ouncer about Carty.
    I predict Ouncer will start after Muldoon now and keep it up until Muldoon retires.
    Then he'll tell us he was right.
    You know, like a stopped clock.
    :pac::pac::P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I thought Muldoon was one of our better players today. Some good turnovers and carried well.
    Could possibly see an argument for giving the captaincy to someone else this season but wouldn't make a change now.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I thought Muldoon was one of our better players today. Some good turnovers and carried well.
    Could possibly see an argument for giving the captaincy to someone else this season but wouldn't make a change now.
    why would you not make a change now. Surely now is the time to make a change?could things honestly get worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

why would you not make a change now. Surely now is the time to make a change?could things honestly get worse?

Wouldn't you have said the same thing about Pat Lam a couple of years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Changing captain mid season is a slap in the face to someone. If there was to be a change it should have been at the start of the season. And I'm not saying there should have been just that there was an argument to be made for it.
    Remember Muldoon lead Connacht to the title last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Ok I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. This is clearly more than a minor blip. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Bazzo wrote: »
    Ok I'm starting to get a bit nervous now. This is clearly more than a minor blip. :(

Connacht have two major issues this season:

1) The element of surprise is gone. Teams know what to expect and probably treat Connacht with more respect than previous years.

2) The recruitment has been atrocious. Henshaw, Muldowney, McGinty and (probably) White are gone and they have not been replaced. We'll see what Boshoff is like but otherwise, a disaster.

boshoff. the level of expectation is absoutely way out there

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

1) The element of surprise is gone. Teams know what to expect and probably treat Connacht with more respect than previous years.

30 games last season is a lot for video analysts to figure connacht out and nullify. Set piece hasn't been great so far this season either which isnt helping them too much either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

That's my biggest worry too. Boshoff will need a few games to settle. If by that stage we've not won a single game we're in huge trouble. Nobody at scrum or outhalf has been good so far.

Nothing from today's showing indicated we're getting sharper or more match fit either. We made Patchell look like Beauden Barrett in that second half, we lost nearly every kick and chase and barely got into the Scarlets 22 in the second half. We have no belief with ball in hand and Bundee is swallowed up so our liveliest attacker is nullified.

Utterly depressing stuff and my heart goes out to the brave souls who travelled over for that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement