Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

flogthebog wrote: »
    i ask a question. is this the end of john muldoon?

New low

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

No, he had some important tackles and crucial turnovers.
    Too many people are beginning to agree with ouncer about Carty.
    I predict Ouncer will start after Muldoon now and keep it up until Muldoon retires.
    Then he'll tell us he was right.
    You know, like a stopped clock.
    :pac::pac::P:P

I think thats a bit unfair. Yes jack has been not the best. if you dont agree then thats ok

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Carty is a quality fly-half when he's time to organize himself, and is not under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

boshoff. the level of expectation is absoutely way out there

If he can just find touch from penalties, and nail gimme kicks from the tee, that'll be more than we get at the moment.
    At a pro level that's not asking a lot. So he should manage it as a minimum.

Too many points being left on the pitch for the past few seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

connachta wrote: »
    Carty is a quality fly-half when he's time to organize himself, and is not under pressure

Unfortunately at pro level, time is the one thing opposition teams will not afford you, and pressure is the one thing they will put you under.

jam83 wrote: »
    If he can just find touch from penalties, and nail gimme kicks from the tee, that'll be more than we get at the moment.
    At a pro level that's not asking a lot. So he should manage it as a minimum.

Too many points being left on the pitch for the past few seasons.
    wud ya stop. There were no points left out on the field tonight (as an example). we were rubbish, no other excuse

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

wud ya stop. There were no points left out on the field tonight (as an example). we were rubbish, no other excuse

Eh was there a penalty miss in first half that would be relatively straightforward at this level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Defences are up on us like a shot. You can see it a mile off. Yes there are some kicks over the top but they are amounting to nothing. How can Carthy get any sort of platform when defences are closing him down so fast. We are now missing a big 8 to go through tackles. Yes that's not connachts style of play but our opponents have closed off our means to play wide. There's no plan b.

I did say the last few seasons.
    Scarlets were better than Connacht tonight, and Scarlets were still poor overall.

The point is that every team wins kickable penalties and we seem to kick very very scoreable ones wide for far too long now.
    You know that groan around the clan stand when a handy penalty sails wide? It just seems to happen us too much and if boshoff can just nail those straightforward ones (at that level), it'll be enough.
    I don't think anyone is expecting a beauden Barrett type of snake-hipped genius.

Carty didn't lose the game tonight, but he costs us far too often where we could be within 1 score of a team in the closing stages if he hadn't missed a sitter, or we end up clinging onto a 2 point lead when it should be five because he missed a sitter.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Was André Bell, and not Pat Lam, the architect of Connacht's success?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

As someone said to me last night, realistically where are we getting any points this season? Is there any team we could genuinely be confident of even getting a losing bonus against? Maybe one of the Italians at home or the dragons but that's the height of it. That Jack Carty shouldn't get his wages this week, must be so disheartening for the team that even when they win a penalty straight in front of the posts he manages to kick it wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

You would think it was the Parish under 10 team that ye were discussing - No Negativity Allowed etc...
    They are well paid professionals getting our cash via Tickets etc...

It's been obvious since Day 1 that Carty is not Pro 12 Material , AIL at best.

He was 3rd Choice (Not even in Machday Squads) at the end of last season for a reason. Wake up guys we need a "Proper" 10

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Defences are up on us like a shot. You can see it a mile off. Yes there are some kicks over the top but they are amounting to nothing. How can Carthy get any sort of platform when defences are closing him down so fast. We are now missing a big 8 to go through tackles. Yes that's not connachts style of play but our opponents have closed off our means to play wide. There's no plan b.

100% agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

TimHorton wrote: »
    You would think it was the Parish under 10 team that ye were discussing - No Negativity Allowed etc...
    They are well paid professionals getting our cash via Tickets etc...

It's been obvious since Day 1 that Carty is not Pro 12 Material , AIL at best.

He was 3rd Choice (Not even in Machday Squads) at the end of last season for a reason. Wake up guys we need a "Proper" 10

He was injured at the end of last season. Just before that injury he was playing good stuff, it came at a very unfortunate time for him.

The problem is a lack of options out on the pitch. When Ronaldson was playing 12 we effectively had two outhalves on the field. Multiple opponents commented on how hard it was to play against.
    I don't like singling anyone out for negatives because they are our lads. They live beside us. We especially shouldn't be knocking the locals, the ones loyal to Connacht.

However, if there was one change I think would make a huge difference, it would be Ronaldson at 12.
    He can't come back soon enough.

Too much negativity here. I was clear before the season kicks off. The main objective for me this season has always been competing in ChampionsCup.
    For now the bench is weak but Pat WILL have the team (fingers crossed) he needs for that achievement.

Roux and Heenan already makes us look better for their 1st appearence. They can only be better
    Add, by order of importance
    Ronaldson/Robb at 12 for extra physicality against agressive defences
    Boshoff to kick
    Cooney as 21, instead of Blade unable to get quick balls from the rucks
    Browne/Marshall at 19
    SOB/Masterson/Nepia to give competition to our current backrow
    White/McCoy/Carey at 18
    IMO those 6/7 comebacks can boost us from a team playing 40-60 minutes of average rugby to a team playing well the entire game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

As someone said to me last night, realistically where are we getting any points this season? Is there any team we could genuinely be confident of even getting a losing bonus against? Maybe one of the Italians at home or the dragons but that's the height of it. That Jack Carty shouldn't get his wages this week, must be so disheartening for the team that even when they win a penalty straight in front of the posts he manages to kick it wide

Congrats. This is officially the worst post I've ever read on boards!

When you look at "the archive of pain" (injury list) you can expect that team against Toulouse
    Classic Buckley/McC/Bealham front-row
    Roux/Dillane international pairing
    SOB as blindside, to help Muldoon/Heenan
    A strong physical 10/12/13 axis made of Ronaldson/Robb/Aki
    Niyi/TOH/Healy back-3
    Browne McKeon and John Cooney as luxury subs, + 1 of Griffin/Kelleher/Lli/Parata/Rowland as 23!

Tonight I didn't sleep well
    And I thought, now our Akishaw pairing is broken, we have at least Marm-lade for scrumhalfs.
    I'm sorry about that...

When you look at "the archive of pain" (injury list) you can expect that team against Toulouse
    Niyi/TOH/Healy back-3
    Browne McKeon and John Cooney as luxury subs, + 1 of Griffin/Kelleher/Lli/Parata/Rowland as 23!

You're working off the assumption that nobody will be injured by then.

Chances are we'll have a different selection of players out.

Every team goes through these patches, we're coping worse than we should be.

The spark from last year is completely gone and there's very little to suggest yo date we'll be in any way competitive in the Champions Cup... In fact we're more likely to do worse than the last occasion from the 4 games to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Too much negativity here. I was clear before the season kicks off. The main objective for me this season has always been competing in ChampionsCup

That's fair enough but there are only two games before Europe begins. That's not much time in which to turn the performances around. The personnel who will come in between now and then won't change things massively.

Edinburgh couldn't be coming at a better time and Connacht need to put them to the sword next week. Ulster the following week will be a serious indicator of how Europe is likely to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

The spark from last year is completely gone and there's very little to suggest yo date we'll be in any way competitive in the Champions Cup... In fact we're more likely to do worse than the last occasion from the 4 games to date.

Exactly, any rugby team will always have the guts of 10 lads injured at any given time. Saying our bad form is down to just injuries is head in the sand stuff.

We're absolutely horrific, no set piece, no defence, an out half that wouldn't look out of place in junior rugby and we can't seem to get over the try line.

Wasps and Toulouse must think they've won the lotto having ourselves and zebre in the champions cup. Literally 20 soft points on the table for each of them

Niyi/TOH/Healy back-3

Non-sense. Only two games before ChampionsCup, bad luck with injury can stop. and we can only be better with all those talents. First XV is already nearly up to it. Setpieces are all-right. Fix the support for the ball-carrier, tackling-rate and physicality. Those players coming back from injury will help.
    Paradoxe but I was and still am far more confident we qualify for CC Quarter-final than for next year CC

Exactly, any rugby team will always have the guts of 10 lads injured at any given time. Saying our bad form is down to just injuries is head in the sand stuff.

We're absolutely horrific, no set piece, no defence, an out half that wouldn't look out of place in junior rugby and we can't seem to get over the try line.

Nobody is denying that.

It has been pointed out here since before last season finished that we were going to be losing key players and that Boshoff wouldn't be here until well into the season. It has also been discussed here all Summer that our recruitment wasn't addressing the those shortfalls.

We can't make Muldowney reappear. Stevenson is not as good as Muldowney
    We can't make Henshaw reappear. Griffin is not as good as Henshaw.
    We can't make McGinty reappear. Boshoff is his replacement but we can't make Boshoff appear until his contract in SA is fulfilled.Although I am not so sure he is the answer to our problems. Defense has been our main problem. Carty has been doing relatively well defensively, Boshoff doesn't look like he will be that sort of player.

The difference is how you react. Some of us look to see where/when it can be put right and how we can make the most of the players at our disposal.
    You seem to think abusing lads for doing their best is the way forward.

Constructive thoughts and debate would probably get a more enjoyable and productive conversation going

Wasps and Toulouse must think they've won the lotto having ourselves and zebre in the champions cup. Literally 20 soft points on the table for each of them
    This is pointless ranting/raving.

Nobody is denying that.

It has been pointed out here since before last season finished that we were going to be losing key players and that Boshoff wouldn't be here until well into the season. It has also been discussed here all Summer that our recruitment wasn't addressing the those shortfalls.

We can't make McGinty reappear. Boshoff is his replacement but we can't make Boshoff appear until his contract in SA is fulfilled.Although I am not so sure he is the answer to our problems. Defense has been our main problem. Carty has been doing relatively well defensively, Boshoff doesn't look like he will be that sort of player.

The difference is how you react. Some of us look to see where/when it can be put right and how we can make the most of the players at our disposal.

Constructive thoughts and debate would probably get a more enjoyable and productive conversation going
    yes and I go further I disagree to compare directly those who came with those who lelf. We have a squad. Roux is stepping up for Muldowney, Robb is promising to pair with Aki. We haven't lost quality overall, just need things clicking together

yes and I go further I disagree to compare directly those who came with those who lelf. We have a squad. Roux is stepping up for Muldowney, Robb is promising to pair with Aki. We haven't lost quality overall, just need things clicking together

I am trying to ease over to the side of reason.
    Image result for softly softly catchee monkey

Nobody is denying that.

This is exactly what the problem is , A guy is telling the truth (Connacht have been brutal this season) yet everyone else is blindly cheer leading

Sooooo the problem is there aren't enough people abusing our starting outhalf and in general saying that Connacht haven't a hope in hell of finishing above 9th place in the pro12 and haven't a hope in Europe?

It's a funny take on the idea of supporting a team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Toulouse aren't all that. They only managed to score two tries against SF last night despite playing against 14 for around an hour. SF even came away with a losing bonus point. Besides look what happened last time we meet in the pool stage. We managed to beat them away from home. Yes they got a BP win at the sportsground but that was largely down to the fact a virus had swept through our squad the week before it. Wasps will be a challenge but I expect the lads to have enough pride in the jersey to not cough up 20 points to those two teams.

There's no denying it's been a horrific start to the season. And that can't be put down to injuries. However we did win the Pro 12 a matter of months ago so I still have faith that the season can be turned around although it needs to happen fast. Another few weeks and even the top 6 could be out of reach. The squad seems to be devoid of confidence so it's up to Pat and the coaching team to get them back (or at least close) to the level we were at last season.

Sooooo the problem is there aren't enough people abusing our starting outhalf and in general saying that Connacht haven't a hope in hell of finishing above 9th place in the pro12 and haven't a hope in Europe?

Yet more cheer leading as opposed to reality

Yet more cheer leading as opposed to reality
    What would you prefer to see if cheer leading/support is not your idea of what a supporter should do?
    How does what your proposing help the team to perform better than cheer leading/support.

• Advertisement

I just had a look through your post history.
    Constant attacks on Connacht and Carty. You also celebrated move of Henshaw.
    G'luck!

CtNKjBmWcAQNOHr.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I feel the Edinburgh game is basically do or die for connachts top 4 hopes. With Ulster away the week after, it would seem an almost impossible task to catch up (look at the Ospreys last year). The gap is 14 points already.
    I do feel they'll beat Edinburgh. Better players for the most part and although they're playing poorly, so are Edinburgh

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

I think O'Leary needs to start at 10 now, he maybe night be the great savour but he did play a good part in Connacht's Pro12 victory last season and Carty has done nothing this season to warrant keeping the 10 shirt. At this rate if I was Lam I would start looking at integrating Conor McKeon in.

As for Connacht, I feel they just need that 1 win to get there campaign back on track. Edinburgh at home has got to be the easiest fixture they have had so far and if they lose that they are just hopeless this season.

McKeon is converted to SH.
    Our 4th choice is Michigan Lam 22 y.o Pat's son playing for Wegians

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Nobody is denying that.

Welcome to the internet, where having a reasoned debate about something is akin to slipping through a candy land forest of denial and hippy optimism. Here the real answer is finger pointing and the blame game. Abuse trumps logic (see what I did there) and unless you're on board with that then you're nothing more than a blind liberal, er I mean cheer leader. After all you're only meant to be supportive in good times when you're a supporter.

Lam JR isn't in the Acadamy set though? Is he any good?

Lam JR isn't in the Acadamy set though? Is he any good?
    Should ask to Galwegians fans, played the 2 opening games for them. Broke the defensive line at least once yesterday according to twitter account
    Anyway, with both Ronaldson and Boshoff unavailable he's for the moment our 3rd choice. Any minor injury within the next 3 weeks and he may have to step up directly in Pro12...

Should ask to Galwegians fans, played the 2 opening games for them. Broke the defensive line at least once yesterday according to twitter account
    Anyway, with both Ronaldson and Boshoff unavailable he's for the moment our 3rd choice. Any minor injury within the next 3 weeks and he may have to step up directly in Pro12...

Might be a good thing, could be a hidden gem.

• Advertisement

Criticising the out-half for a poor performance is not a mortal sin, he gets support from the sidelines, but this is a discussion forum.

It's hard to see Carty come off at the sportsground and have the head down when he sits on the bench, everyone hopes the lad does well for himself and Connacht.

But he's not above criticism so don't get so offended when he does get criticised on this forum. It's all related to his game, and he's a pro rugby player, so his game is up for discussion here.
    The post about him being docked his wages i assumed was trolling and obviously nonsense.

"Galweigans Fans" All 10 of them

"Galweigans Fans" All 10 of them
    Enough to have an opinion anyway

Criticising the out-half for a poor performance is not a mortal sin, he gets support from the sidelines, but this is a discussion forum.

It's hard to see Carty come off at the sportsground and have the head down when he sits on the bench, everyone hopes the lad does well for himself and Connacht.

But he's not above criticism so don't get so offended when he does get criticised on this forum. It's all related to his game, and he's a pro rugby player, so his game is up for discussion here.

I was critical of his kicking on this thread last last night. I am not precious about players being criticised. I got reprimanded in the last page for naming players.

However the relentless and vindictive nature of some of the criticism targeted at Carty by a few posters here is completely over the top. It gets even more ridiculous when you see how touchy these posters get over criticism of their posts.
    The post about him being docked his wages i assumed was trolling and obviously nonsense.
    That was precisely the post that was being discussed.

While Jack takes the brunt of many folks critisism, Bundee is right up there also. After rewatching the game I was left wondering does he care at all. He missed a tackle, then turned his back on the game as it continued and simply shuffled his way back into the line. Never mind the dropped balls, forward passes, missed tackles. I was left godsmacked. And contrary to belief we are allowed to be critical. Then Matt simply looked like he had no idea what he wanted to do next. I wouldn't be a huge Eoin Griffin fan but at least he tries. The only players showing any ambition were Tiernan and Niyi in the backline last night. Kieran was terrible. Two blockdowns in 80 minutes said it all. And most of these are our first choice players. So a good kick up the arse is required. You should not retain your position on name alone. While I suggested John Muldoon did not have his best day at the office our 9 to 15 really need to hold their hands up. Other than Niyi and Tiernan there isn't one that is worth their salt at the moment. So thats critical but its also reality.

While Jack takes the brunt of many folks critisism, Bundee is right up there also. After rewatching the game I was left wondering does he care at all. He missed a tackle, then turned his back on the game as it continued and simply shuffled his way back into the line. Never mind the dropped balls, forward passes, missed tackles. I was left godsmacked. And contrary to belief we are allowed to be critical. Then Matt simply looked like he had no idea what he wanted to do next. I wouldn't be a huge Eoin Griffin fan but at least he tries. The only players showing any ambition were Tiernan and Niyi in the backline last night. Kieran was terrible. Two blockdowns in 80 minutes said it all. And most of these are our first choice players. So a good kick up the arse is required. You should not retain your position on name alone. While I suggested John Muldoon did not have his best day at the office our 9 to 15 really need to hold there hands up. Other than Niyi and Tiernan there isn't one that is worth their salt at the moment. So thats critical but its also reality.

That is the truth, Carty hasn't been great but neither has most of the back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

It's clear to me that Connacht aren't firing on all cylinders yet and it's very disappointing.

I'm not big into the personal Attacks on players as it achieves little apart from annoying posters.

One of the beauties of this site is the ignore function, the sad thing is this particular thread includes 100% of the posters I have ignored.

Do yourselves a favour and use the ignore function.

Shelflife wrote: »
    It's clear to me that Connacht aren't firing on all cylinders yet and it's very disappointing.

I'm not big into the personal Attacks on players as it achieves little apart from annoying posters.

One of the beauties of this site is the ignore function, the sad thing is this particular thread includes 100% of the posters I have ignored.

Do yourselves a favour and use the ignore function.
    Your post is ignored. There is open discussion here, nothing else. If you want to ignore then just don't visit boards. Simple as. If you have an opinion you are welcome to express it. Your condesending post on the level of intelligence of boards posters is noted

hope aly is enjoying the icarus cup on the outskirts of grenoble. looks like a load of fun. aly you are missed. great player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

I'm an Ulster supporter so maybe have a different perspective on this. Only Connacht game I haven't seen was Zebre and I definitely thought there were signs of improvement shown against Scarlets especially in defence. Remember Scarlets were desperate to win and were at home so result wasn 't that bad though Connacht should have had a losing BP. With injured players coming back I can only see improvement in results. Very early in season yet but Top 6 should still be a realistic target. Edinburgh provides ideal opportunity to begin getting wins again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Tbh, there are definitely years before where Irish teams came out of Glasgow at home, Opreys at home and Scarlets away with only a handful of points. I know the performances have been dire, but Connacht can turn this around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement