Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I actually think Connacht have a higher ceiling than Scarlets this season. Scarlets have a good few quality players in their side and have little to no excuse for their performances. In truth they just look like a badly coached side. Connacht have had a handful of issues in the build up to and start of this season. Confidence would be my only real worry for now. You do need a good quality 10, but hopefully you'll get that in Boshoff. Other than that you just need to get past some injury woes and focus on "the process" as Pat would say. There's still a long way to go this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

I'm an Ulster supporter so maybe have a different perspective on this. Only Connacht game I haven't seen was Zebe and I definitely thought there were signs of improvement shown against Scarlets especially in defence. Remember Scarlets were desperate to win and were at home so result wasn 't that bad though Connacht should have had a losing BP. With injured players coming back I can only see improvement in results. Very early in season yet but Top 6 should still be a realistic target. Edinburgh provides ideal opportunity to begin getting wins again.

I agree, defence was a huge improvement compared to the Zebre game. The handling was awful though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

ok so there was an improvement in defensive play, but some reads and basic tackling still need a lot of work
    it''s glaringly obvious we have no bench at the moment. there was zero impact when replacements were made, or if there was an impact it was negative.
    there's already been loads said about carty so I won't say anymore.
    the players need to be held accountable for a lot of what's going wrong. there was a standard set last season and they are nowhere near this right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I'm an Ulster supporter so maybe have a different perspective on this. Only Connacht game I haven't seen was Zebe and I definitely thought there were signs of improvement shown against Scarlets especially in defence. Remember Scarlets were desperate to win and were at home so result wasn 't that bad though Connacht should have had a losing BP. With injured players coming back I can only see improvement in results. Very early in season yet but Top 6 should still be a realistic target. Edinburgh provides ideal opportunity to begin getting wins again.

As a Ulster fan you might a word with the team and get them to send only 10 or 12 players down for the game in a couple of weeks. - We can give ye a few players on the day :D

Make sure to leave Piutau and Pienaar at home - they'll need the rest!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

molloyjh wrote: »
    I actually think Connacht have a higher ceiling than Scarlets this season. Scarlets have a good few quality players in their side and have little to no excuse for their performances. In truth they just look like a badly coached side. Connacht have had a handful of issues in the build up to and start of this season. Confidence would be my only real worry for now. You do need a good quality 10, but hopefully you'll get that in Boshoff. Other than that you just need to get past some injury woes and focus on "the process" as Pat would say. There's still a long way to go this season.

Agree that Scarlets are waaay below where they should be. It might take a while to get Patchell integrated so they could improve.

But on Connacht. What are their injury woes? I know there is a long list of guys who are out, but which of them is going to come in and really boost the quality, compared to the XV who lined out on Saturday?

So, if you look at Munster, they were atrocious on Saturday, but have D. Ryan, TOD, Scannell, Conway and Zebo to come back in - each a better player than the guy who started against Edinburgh. Do Connacht have that many injuries to guys who are really going to boost the XV significantly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Connacht sign James Cannon

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Connacht have signed James Cannon a 28 year old Irish qualified 2nd row from Wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

e.

But on Connacht. What are their injury woes? I know there is a long list of guys who are out, but which of them is going to come in and really boost the quality, compared to the XV who lined out on Saturday?

Do Connacht have that many injuries to guys who are really going to boost the XV significantly?

Well the likes of ronaldson and robb have been mentioned. Robb and Bundee worked well last year. I guess the hope is that they can do it again. Griffin hasn't clicked just yet.
    Also there's been a bit of talk about Browne being better at filling the role that aly played last year. If that holds true it could be important.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Agree that Scarlets are waaay below where they should be. It might take a while to get Patchell integrated so they could improve.

So, if you look at Munster, they were atrocious on Saturday, but have D. Ryan, TOD, Scannell, Conway and Zebo to come back in - each a better player than the guy who started against Edinburgh. Do Connacht have that many injuries to guys who are really going to boost the XV significantly?

It's probably less about the 15 and more about the 23 at this stage. With guys like O'Brien, Cooney, Robb, Poolman and Leader missing as well as White there is a level of quality there that would be a boost. Then there's getting the guys just back from injury match fit etc. A stronger 23 would be a huge help as they simply didn't have an impact from the bench at all at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

From the website:
    Connacht sign new lock James Cannon

26th September 2016

Connacht Rugby and the IRFU are pleased to announce the recruitment of second row player James Cannon from Wasps.

The Aviva Premiership side have agreed terms that free up the 28-year-old Irish qualified lock to join Connacht for the 2016/17 season.

6ft 8ins Cannon who was born in Kettering, England played 93 games in six seasons at Wasps after he began his professional career at Northampton Saints and had been part of the England Under-20s Grand Slam-winning squad of 2008.

Cannon has been included in Connacht Rugby’s European Champions Cup squad that was registered last week. He has arrived in Galway and joined up with his new team mates at the Sportsground today.

Commenting on the latest recruit, Connacht Rugby CEO Willie Ruane said:

“James is a player that we have been interested in for some time now so we’re excited to be welcoming him to the Sportsground and to Connacht Rugby.”

Head coach Pat Lam added:

“James has been part of a competitive mix of second row players at Wasps but has shown his talent when given the chance. He brings a vast amount of experience from playing in both the Aviva Premiership and European Champions Cup and will greatly boost our second row options. We’re all looking forward to welcoming him to Connacht Rugby.”

James said:

“I’m very excited about the new challenge in Connacht and look forward to working hard to try to get more first team opportunities and to play my part within the squad.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Last season he started 6 games and came on as a replacement in a further 4
    The season before he started 9 games and came on as a replacement in a further 4

Source

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

Could that signing indicate we wont be seeing Marshall back anytime soon or just a case of more numbers needed? Don't know much about Cannon but it will be interesting to see how he will fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Hell yessssssss. Ready for ChampionsCup now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

connachta wrote: »
    honestly not sure - unbridled optimism or factious sarcasm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Thread on Wasps forum about James Cannon leaving.
    http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s96.htm?98,15760236

Seems to be well regarded by wasps fans anyway.
    I particularly like the point one of them made about him being familiar with Wasps calls.

hope he's an improvement on that lump Stevenson

Squad update

Robb and Poolman both available
    Griffin & Browne, hamstring and thigh respectively, to be monitored

honestly not sure - unbridled optimism or factious sarcasm?
    1st one + sarcasm toward those awsering me early August we had enough locks and nobody will be signed. Then, Stevenson and now a quite high-profile guy.

b.gud wrote: »
    Squad update

Robb and Poolman both available
    Griffin & Browne, hamstring and thigh respectively, to be monitored
    Robb/Aki pairing, then. Pleaaaase

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Archives of Pain, Week 5. Updated info in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Eoin Griffin|Hamstring|Scarlets (A)|TBA
    Andrew Browne|Thigh|Scarlets (A)|TBA
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy|Arm|Training - Mid-Sept|6-8 Weeks
    Ivan Soroka|Foot|AIL|Unknown
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Nathan White|Concussion (Long Term)|Last Season|Unknown
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Sean O’Brien|Ankle|Pre-Season|Early October
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Stephen Kerins|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Pre-Season|Late September/Early October
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Rory Parata|Knee|AIL - September|Early October
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

16-18 players currently unavailable depending on how Browne/Griffin recover this week.

Returning: Danie Poolman, Peter Robb

Hopefully over the next 2-3 weeks we'll have Cooney, Ronaldson and SOB2 returning which will give us a lot more depth and options in the matchday 23.

1st one + sarcasm toward those awsering me early August we had enough locks and nobody will be signed. Then, Stevenson and now a quite high-profile guy.

I think your definition of "high-profile" needs a bit of refining...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

To be honest I hadn't a notion who James Cannon was before a couple hours ago.

But from an extensive 15 mins of googling it seems that he was well respected at wasps and is really only looking to go because he's too good to be so far down the pecking order. I don't think it's unreasonable for us to pop the champagne and declare the season saved.

Robbo wrote: »
    16-18 players currently unavailable depending on how Browne/Griffin recover this week.

Hopefully over the next 2-3 weeks we'll have Cooney, Ronaldson and SOB2 returning which will give us a lot more depth and options in the matchday 23.

The photos from today's training seem to show that Cooney is getting close, at least that's what I hope

Also on Boshoff the Lions have the last game of the Currie cup normal season on Friday. They are currently 5th. I dont know much about the Currie Cup but assuming it's top 4 go through then we should all be shouting for Natal Sharks and Western Province this weekend

That's another head-scratcher of a signing for Connacht. Very odd. I'm sure he's a decent squad player, but the timing is very strange.

That's another head-scratcher of a signing for Connacht. Very odd. I'm sure he's a decent squad player, but the timing is very strange.

Sleeper agent, we actually had the signing sorted out months ago but left him in place to learn all the Wasps line out calls for when we meet them in the Champions cup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

It makes perfect sense.
    We were crying out for another second row.

Ultan will have to get his IRFU mandated rest at some stage.
    Both he and Roux being involved in camp.
    Stevenson has not set the world alight and is clearly not a long term prospect.
    There is no sign of Marshall coming back anytime soon.

It would have been very concerning if we didn't have another second row come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It makes perfect sense.

It would have been very concerning if we didn't have another second row come in.

Also helps that Cannon was falling further down the pecking order at Wasps and his IQ status made a move to Ireland possible instead of just going out on loan to a Championship side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Stevenson is obviously not cutting it. He was just a stop gap anyhow with all the injuries at lock. There are rumours of Marshall having to retire due to concussion. The kiwi lock that was shot down by the IRFU also means another player was needed. I don't think this guy will be a starter but he will fill a gaping hole.

Zzippy wrote: »

I think your definition of "high-profile" needs a bit of refining...
    I said QUITE! 93 caps with Wasps at 28 is a good sign.

b.gud wrote: »

The photos from today's training seem to show that Cooney is getting close, at least that's what I hope

Also on Boshoff the Lions have the last game of the Currie cup normal season on Friday. They are currently 5th. I dont know much about the Currie Cup but assuming it's top 4 go through then we should all be shouting for Natal Sharks and Western Province this weekend
    Problem is Sharks are away to Lions.
    About Cooney, don't you think he could make the bench as early as this W.E. After all Browne wasn't announced available and still played against Zebre

• Advertisement

Interestingly enough Connon is a Wasps player and guess who's in Connacht's european group? Thats right, Wasps. Maybe there was more to this signing then just to add second row depth. Sorry to be a cynic but I just found it interesting.

Interestingly enough Connon is a Wasps player and guess who's in Connacht's european group? Thats right, Wasps. Maybe there was more to this signing then just to add second row depth. Sorry to be a cynic but I just found it interesting.

My word, you're right! Amazing that no one else has mentioned it before... :P

It makes perfect sense.

Well, if Stevenson is getting the bullet or Marshall is finished then that would explain Connacht's need.

It's odd though that Wasps would be releasing a guy four games into the season.

hope Ben will be ok, anyway we're ok now with Dillane/Roux available for now, Browne/Cannon to bench or to start when the other 2 are IRFU-bounded, Romaine/Stevenson/Claffey/Qualter in case of emergency (in this order IMO)

So Fraser McKenzie has been cited for the clearout on Jack O'Donoghue. Edinburgh are also scraping the barrell at tighthead and it looks like Blair Kinghorn may be their only fully fit outhalf.

I don't want to jinx us but I'll be really, really disappointed if we can't pull off a win against a poorly performing Edinburgh team that have some pretty serious injury woes of their own.

If Connacht can't beat that Edinburgh side at home then they might aswell pack it in. Edinburgh are good at the breakdown, and thats where there strengths end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

If Connacht can't beat that Edinburgh side at home then they might aswell pack it in. Edinburgh are good at the breakdown, and thats where there strengths end.

After defensive issues it has been our biggest weakness this season

My own team for Friday

15 Tiernan O Halloran (104)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun (35)
    13 Bundee Aki (44)
    12 Peter Robb (18)
    11 Matt Healy (76)
    10 Shane O'Leary (17) was good when he came in in Wales
    9 Kieran Marmion (105)

1 Denis Buckley (98)
    2 Tom McCartney (47)
    3 Finlay Bealham (60)
    4 Quinn Roux (33)
    5 Ultan Dillane (30)
    6 Eoin McKeon (88)
    7 Jake Heenan (35)
    8 John Muldoon (captain) (278)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan (60)
    17 Ronan Loughney (186)
    18 Conor Carey (0)
    19 James Cannon (0)
    20 James Connolly (19)
    21 John Cooney (12) try him if he's 100% healthy and even 90% ready
    22 Jack Carty (57)
    23 Danie Poolman (72)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

From listening to Craggy Island Rugby this week, the late withdrawal of Browne presented a problem in that Roux was only supposed to play the first half.

From listening to Craggy Island Rugby this week, the late withdrawal of Browne presented a problem in that Roux was only supposed to play the first half.
    You think IRFU will force us to put him on the bench and start with Cannon/Stevenson this W-E?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

You think IRFU will force us to put him on the bench and start with Cannon/Stevenson this W-E?

Cannon won't play this week as he only joined the squad yesterday.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Cannon won't play this week as he only joined the squad yesterday.
    Oh come on! Not Qualter.... Any news about Romaine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,380 ✭✭✭✭phog

I watched a recording of the Munster match, Sky said during their commentary that Edinburgh have won more turnovers in the Pro12 this season than any other team - as seen on Saturday they can score form turnovers if they get them in the right place on the field.

what do ye make of bundee not applauding the opposition of again?

evil_seed wrote: »

To be fair, If I was Aki I wouldn't applaud the Scarlets either. Seem like a very unlikeable bunch.

I still dont get why Shane O'Leary isn't starting. Played a much bigger role in the title winning side last season. I think if on form Carty is the more talented fly half but I think Carty is a lot more composed and if I was the coach I would much prefer the later during this part of the season.

evil_seed wrote: »

It's no real secret that he's very competitive, he's probably raging with both himself and the team that there's been such a bad start to the season.

I still dont get why Shane O'Leary isn't starting. Played a much bigger role in the title winning side last season. I think if on form Carty is the more talented fly half but I think Carty is a lot more composed and if I was the coach I would much prefer the later during this part of the season.
    That was meant to be O'Leary, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I still dont get why Shane O'Leary isn't starting. Played a much bigger role in the title winning side last season.

Shane O'Leary started 2 games in the Pro12 last season.

• Advertisement

I think Carty, much like Keatley, suffers hugely from confidence issues. If he's on form he's a good safe pair of hands and you wouldn't worry about him starting in the pro 12, but his confidence seems to be rock bottom at the minute, leading to bad performances and round and round in a cycle. A win against Edinburgh would do him the world of good.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement