Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

flouncer wrote: »
    Anyways toh out injured in training today so it will be interesting to see how the team lines out.

Ah Feck sake. Any details on what it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Not available this weekend. After that don't know

Hopefully nothing serious

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

flouncer wrote: »
    Anyways toh out injured in training today so it will be interesting to see how the team lines out.

You got a source for this flouncer?

Feic it, I did post the mils issue (purely because I did want people to know) and that was a month late. Maybe me comments are simply out of touch :-) and dated :-).

• Advertisement

So are you saying now he is available?

So are you saying now he is available?
    Unavailable still!!!. That won't change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Ouncer was always more up to date with his information !

Head Coach Pat Lam has made 10 changes from last week as Connacht take on Newcastle Falcons in round 3 of the European Challenge Cup tomorrow at the Sportsground, kick off 7:45pm.

Jack Carty is retained at outhalf while 21-year-old Caolin Blade is handed the number 9 shirt for his first start this season, having made an appearance from the bench in Krasnoyarsk last month.

There is a new mid field partnership with Academy duo Rory Parata and Peter Robb named to start. Niyi Adeolokun is promoted to the right wing while Matt Healy, on the left, gets his first taste of European action this season.

Galway man Tiernan O’Halloran will captain the side from fullback.

In the pack, there are just two players remaining from last week – Aly Muldowney and James Connolly, who, this week, was one of three Academy players to sign a senior contract for next season.

Prop Finlay Bealham, now the only player to have been involved in every game this season, starts in a new front row with Jason Harris-Wright and Ireland international Nathan White.

Ultan Dillane returns to the second row to partner Muldowney while Galway man Sean O’Brien earns his first ever senior start coming in to a back row with Connolly and the experienced George Naoupu at Number 8.

Danny Qualter is included among the replacements while Dave Heffernan will be required to cover the back row from the bench. Shane O’Leary and Danie Poolman have both returned from injury to take their place in the match day squad.

Commenting on the team selection and the upcoming game, Pat Lam said:

“With 18 players unavailable through injury from our European squad, it was certainly a challenge to piece together a match day squad for tomorrow. We are forced to name the 23 remaining players which include three hookers in the team as Dave (Heffernan) will be required to cover the backrow. Thankfully Danie (Poolman) and Ian (Porter) passed late fitness tests this morning to take their place on the bench. While it isn’t ideal, it’s simply another test for us to meet head on.

“Newcastle will bring their own strengths and we are expecting a very physical battle. Despite all the changes, If we work together as a team and stick to our structures tomorrow night, we’ll increase our chances of getting the job done.

“We’re really looking forward to playing back at the Sportsground in front of our home crowd again after a few weeks on the road.”

Connacht team to face Newcastle Falcons

15 Tiernan O’Halloran (captain)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun
    13 Rory Parata
    12 Peter Robb
    11 Matt Healy
    10 Jack Carty
    9 Caolin Blade

1 Finlay Bealham
    2 Jason Harris-Wright
    3 Nathan White
    4 Ultan Dillane
    5 Aly Muldowney
    6 Sean O’Brien
    7 James Connolly
    8 George Naoupu

Replacements:

16 Shane Delahunt
    17 Conan O’Donnell
    18 Rodney Ah You
    19 Danny Qualter
    20 Dave Heffernan
    21 Ian Porter
    22 Shane O’Leary
    23 Danie Poolman

Unavailable through injury from European registered Squad: Tom McCartney, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Andrew Browne, Ben Marshall, Quinn Roux, Nepia Fox-Matamua (deregistered), Eoghan Masterson, John Muldoon, Eoin McKeon, John Cooney, Kieran Marmion, AJ MacGinty, Bundee Aki, Craig Ronaldson, Robbie Henshaw, Fionn Carr, Darragh Leader.

Other squad unavailability: JP Cooney, Jake Heenan, Conor Finn

Team made from injured players

Buckley
    McCartney
    Loughney
    Marshall
    Roux
    Muldoon
    Fox-Matamua
    Masterson
    Marmion
    MacGinty
    Carr
    Ronaldson
    Aki
    Leader
    Henshaw

Cooney (JP)
    ??
    ??
    Browne
    McKeon
    Cooney (John)
    Heenan (Just to fit him in the team somewhere :) )
    Finn

For any non Connacht fans wondering how strong that injured team is:
    2 of our 1st choice front row and the third a player who was capped for Ireland against New Zealand*.
    A 2nd row that has 1 first choice player and another who you would be happy to see in a big match
    Easily a first choice back row
    First choice scrum half, with 2nd choice on the bench
    Outhalf who would def push for 1st choice
    First choice centre pairing
    Decent enough wings
    Robbie f***ing Henshaw

*Granted it was as an ambiprop sub but still

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Not the worst team, especially given the injury crisis.

Newcastle have a short turnaround from getting at home to Saracens on Sunday. 15 changes for them and a fair few inexperienced lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Hopefully Poolman and Porter weren't rushed back
    In ideal scenario Muldowney would be rested but we don't have that luxury
    It's a team that should beat Newcastle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Heff covering backrow! We really are stretched...
    Decent team in the circumstances, would warm the cockles of your heart seeing the depth we have now in the squad, even in an injury crisis like this. Looking forward to seeing how that centre partnership fares, two great prospects for the future. Serious pace on the wings too, hopefully we can work some space for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Hopefully Poolman and Porter weren't rushed back
    In ideal scenario Muldowney would be rested but we don't have that luxury
    It's a team that should beat Newcastle
    Zzippy wrote: »
    Heff covering backrow! We really are stretched...
    Decent team in the circumstances, would warm the cockles of your heart seeing the depth we have now in the squad, even in an injury crisis like this. Looking forward to seeing how that centre partnership fares, two great prospects for the future. Serious pace on the wings too, hopefully we can work some space for them.

Very good team indeed Very happy to see Bealham "ambipropstery" preserved, he will be useful to let O'Donnell growing up Can't wait to see Robb/Parata pairing Think we MUST have Qualter starting and Muldowney rested next week. But One Question : where's Dave McSharry? Back for a few weeks now, I've the feeling he isn't highly rated by Lam...

If you had told me a couple of years ago that Connacht would be missing a close to 1st choice 15 and could still field a fairly strong team I would have laughed, great to see the depth that we are starting to develop.

What's the story with McSharry thought he was fit again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

17 out of the 23 players 25 years old or younger!!

I know nothing about Newcastle....is the expectation that if we go out and put in a decent performance, solid scrum and lineout we should get the win?

I'm guessing we'll see McSharry on Saturday vs Dragons A and then he'll get a run against Newcastle Away

Just realised we have only 1 NIQ player in the match day 23 anyone know when the last time that happened?

S12b wrote: »
    17 out of the 23 players 25 years old or younger!!

I know nothing about Newcastle....is the expectation that if we go out and put in a decent performance, solid scrum and lineout we should get the win?

Vs Enisei
    A Tait (C Willis, 63), Z Kibirige, T Penny, C Harris (A Powell, 63), M Watson, T Catterick, M Young (R Tipuna, 57); R Vickers (A Rogers, 55), G McGuigan (S Lawson, 55), J Welsh (T Vea, 55), C Green, S Robinson (W Witty, 55), W Welch (captain, R Mayhew, 68), D Temm, M Wilson.

Vs Sale
    Tait, Venditti, Powell, Socino, Watson, Delany, Young, Vickers, McGuigan, Welsh, Green, Robinson, Wilson, Welch, Latu
    Replacements Lawson, Rogers, Vea, Botha, Hogg, Tipuna, Catterick, Harris

Vs Saracens
    Tait, Agulla, Powell, Socino, Watson, Catterick, Young, Vickers, McGuigan, Welsh, Robinson, Green, Wilson, Welch, Latu
    Replacements Lawson, Rogers, Vea, Botha, Hogg, Takulua, Willis, Harris

Vs Connacht
    15 Simon Hammersley, 14. Dan Marshall, 13. Tom Penny, 12. Chris Harris, 11. Zach Kibirige, 10. Criag Willis, 9. Sonatane Takulua; 1. Alex Rogers, 2. Scott Lawson, 3. Taione Vea, 4. Will Witty, 5. Mouritz Botha, 6. Richard Mayhew (c), 7. Daniel Temm, 8. Ally Hogg.
    16 Rob Hawkins, 17. Ben Harris, 18. Andrew Foster, 19. Calum Green, 20. Callum Chick, 21. Ruaridh Dawson, 22. Juan Pablo Socino, 23. Marcus Watson

It's basically their A Team (that said, they'll look at our team and think the same)
    Number 4 Will Witty is meant be a very promising second row and Marcus Watson on the bench has serious pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

Originally Posted by flouncer viewpost.gif
    Ah Feck sake. Any details on what it is? ?

well that came from a reliable source!!!

did flouncer delete his originaL POST?

• Advertisement

typhoony wrote: »
    well that came from a reliable source!!!

did flouncer delete his originaL POST?

Nope still there. The confusion may come from the fact that it's a line at the end of a longer post and not just a post solely about an injury to TOH.

Also slightly in his defence just because he's named in the team doesn't mean he didn't receive a knock. Players have been named in teams while carrying knocks before and then get pulled at the last minute. Obviously I hope that this isn't one of those cases but until he takes the field tomorrow night I won't be telling flouncer he was wrong

Ronaldson wins player of the month with over 50% of the vote

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/ronaldson-voted-player-of-the-month/#ConnachtNews

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    Ronaldson wins player of the month with over 50% of the vote

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/ronaldson-voted-player-of-the-month/#ConnachtNews

Well deserved. The fact that he's as effective at 12 as he is at 10 speaks to his quality. I think he's often underrated by a lot of people outside Connacht.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well deserved. The fact that he's as effective at 12 as he is at 10 speaks to his quality. I think he's often underrated by a lot of people outside Connacht.

Ya I've been particularly impressed by his physical ability. We often think of 10's moving out to 12 as just distributors and another kicking option but Craig has made as many line breaks as any of the other backs this season plus his speed is very impressive.....think it was against Brive a kick was put through into the Brive 22 and all the Connacht backs went after it and Ronaldson was leading the way....I remember being shocked at his speed.

Anyways a quality player. I'd love to see him at 10 with Aki, Henshaw in midfield before the season is out....they essentially bet Munster on their own last New Years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

S12b wrote:
    Anyways a quality player. I'd love to see him at 10 with Aki, Henshaw in midfield before the season is out....they essentially bet Munster on their own last New Years.

Bit harsh on the pack who were excellent that day. Particularly aly

They were on another level that day before craig nutted himself for that try

freyners wrote: »
    Bit harsh on the pack who were excellent that day. Particularly aly

They were on another level that day before craig nutted himself for that try

Pack held there own against an excellent Munster pack containing O'Connell, O'Mahoney, O'Donnell and Stander, I'm not taking anything away from them.....they laid the foundation for us to win the game. But it was a few moments of magic from Ronaldson with the little chip and Aki and Henshaw continually breaking through the Munster midfield and offloading that actually won us that game.

For me, it perfectly encapsulated the progress Connacht have made....a few years back they would have been dogged and gave it their all but ultimately the lack of star quality would have probably cost them and Munster would have ground out the win. Instead, two world class centres made the difference and turned a 3 point loss into an 8 point win. That's what I mean when I say they won it on their own....I probably didn't word it great!

S12b wrote:
    .I probably didn't word it great!

Ah im a front row player so any time I see the divas out wide getting credit I always point out the forwards do the real work so never mind my moaning.

Am I correct in saying that the Newcastle pitch is an artificial one. If so I worry that our injury list is not going to get shorter when we travel next week. And since we do have ulster and Leinster to follow who will we have left for these games. I would say we have never had the level of depth we have today in the past. However it would seem that having the equivalent of 3 teams is still not enough. The attrition rate is incredible

Ah im a front row player so any time I see the divas out wide getting credit I always point out the forwards do the real work so never mind my moaning.

"real work" = walk 4 yards to ruck, flop into said ruck, slowly drag oneself to feet and repeat....

• Advertisement

"real work" = walk 4 yards to ruck, flop into said ruck, slowly drag oneself to feet and repeat....

Ahem

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/the-light-hearted-history-of-rugby.10772/

Very funny article. Started smiling from the first sentence and then it got better. Now I understand rugby better :-)

Ya I've been particularly impressed by his physical ability. We often think of 10's moving out to 12 as just distributors and another kicking option but Craig has made as many line breaks as any of the other backs this season plus his speed is very impressive.....think it was against Brive a kick was put through into the Brive 22 and all the Connacht backs went after it and Ronaldson was leading the way....I remember being shocked at his speed.

Agreed

Is this in tv?

Is this in tv?

L.O.L. It's Connacht :D. tv channels prefer poor Agen or London Irish

Is this in tv?

Nope
    Might be on Periscope
    Galway Bay will surely have it though
    I think Newstalk are covering it aswell

• Advertisement

Nigel Carolan has managed to pull together an Eagles team

Connacht Eagles team to face Jersey RFC

15 Ciarán Gaffney
    14 Adam Leavy
    13 Cormac Brennan
    12 Api Pewhairangi
    11 Ed O’Keeffe
    10 Conor McKeon (captain)
    9 Conor Lowndes

1 Jacob Walshe
    2 Jack Dinneen
    3 Saba Meunargia
    4 Peter Claffey
    5 Cillian Gallagher
    6 Marc Kelly
    7 Rory Moloney
    8 Stephen McVeigh

REPLACEMENTS

16 Juan Anaya Lazaro
    17 Conor Kenny
    18 Cian Romaine
    19 Matthew Cosgrove
    20 Stephen Kerins
    21 Aidan Moynihan
    22 Jack Keegan

Good to see Api back from injury. No sign of McSharry so I assume he's 24th man for tonight

API's back, GREAT to see we have now 4 centre pairing

1) Henshaw/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Parata
    3) McSharry/Finn
    4) Robb/Api

happy times !:)

16 Juan Anaya Lazaro
    We have a future Ledesma/Creevy here? EDIT : except that he is a Spanish international :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

connachta wrote: »
    16 Juan Anaya Lazaro
    We have a future Ledesma/Creevy here? EDIT : except that he is a Spanish international :D
    Anyone got any further info on him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Is he not more or less just here as squad filler? Is he any use?

• Advertisement

Since he got injured in, I think, his 1st match and he's a league convert it's probably a bit early to say if he has potential or will be squad filler. But with our current injury list I will happily run down the street naked in celebration of every senior player, even if they are only squad fillers, that gets back to fitness :P

He was brought in to cover Henshaw's absence in the centre - his injury forced Parata to be given bigger role start of season which he grasped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Oops, thought ye were discussing the Spanish hooker and was very confused for a moment. From what I heard more than saw(lack of TV coverage...) at the start of the season Api looked like a decent prospect before he got injured, didn't he?

Robbo wrote: »
    Anyone got any further info on him?

I know he's been playing with Wegians all season so someone in the know there would be able to fill you in

1) Henshaw/Aki
    2) Ronaldson/Parata
    3) McSharry/Finn
    4) Robb/Api

happy times !:)

To be honest, he played a few mins of a warm up game and then got injured so it's too early to say anything.....he was obviously signed as backup though.

To be honest, he played a few mins of a warm up game and then got injured so it's too early to say anything.....he was obviously signed as backup though.

I may be the only one having seen him as I was at the game against Castres, but I didn't spot anything particular, good or bad, TBF. it's faulty, I know; Darragh was the standout player of this day

TOH out. Healy to FB. Poolman on wing and mcsharry on the bench.

TOH out. Healy to FB. Poolman on wing and mcsharry on the bench.

FLOUNCER WAS RIGHT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,456 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is this on the telly box?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    FLOUNCER WAS RIGHT
    I get you. Its not often :-)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement