Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Buer wrote: »
    Shane O'Leary started 2 games in the Pro12 last season.

But came off the bench a lot and steered the ship well, its an 80 minute game.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think Carty, much like Keatley, suffers hugely from confidence issues. If he's on form he's a good safe pair of hands and you wouldn't worry about him starting in the pro 12, but his confidence seems to be rock bottom at the minute, leading to bad performances and round and round in a cycle. A win against Edinburgh would do him the world of good.

And I worry that if Connacht drop him it will reck his confidence even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

evil_seed wrote: »
    what do ye make of bundee not applauding the opposition of again?

Not a fan of it to be honest. But I think it's more he's letting his own annoyance at himself creep in. His intensity levels aren't what they were last year. And he's said as much about his performance.
    I think his grandmother passed away recently and as a very open family man I'd say he's not in the best head space yet.
    Hopefully it's a blip and the old Bundee will emerge soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Buer wrote: »
    I still dont get why Shane O'Leary isn't starting. Played a much bigger role in the title winning side last season.

Shane O'Leary started 2 games in the Pro12 last season.

I have noticed that a lot of people who are commenting on Carty seem to only be aware of Connacht's games from the end of last season.

His kicking from the tee has always been a weakness but his kicking from the hand was at times sublime.
    His defence is always up to standard and some of the breaks he made before getting injured last year were great.
    I think when kicking duties are taken from him he excels the most.

I would be equally content to see Carty-Ronaldson-Aki or Ronaldson-Aki-Robb.

I have no strong opinion on Boschoff yet.
    He clearly is a savage place kicker but the fact he mightn't be the greatest defender would worry me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

But came off the bench a lot and steered the ship well, its an 80 minute game.

He had a grand total of 59 minutes off the bench in the entire Pro12 campaign (spread over 4 sub appearances).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

carty and o'leary have such gaping differences. carty is conservative and plays these daft kicks to nobody, o'leary is exciting but throws the most mental passes which by nature are collected by the opposition. if you talk about these two there is no comparison. they are simply miles apart. and the unfortunate thing is neither of them add to the team. further to this we have no outhalf in the academy. and to beat it all our hopes rest on an unknown incoming with some kicking stats. thats my take.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Nathan White confirmed as retiring.

Robbo wrote: »

Very disappointing. Feel sorry for the guy but at least his last season was such a memorable one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

That's a shame. Would love for him to stick around in a coaching capacity if he wants to. Always seemed like a real leader on the pitch and with all the young props on the books he could definitely be used.

• Advertisement

When do the retirements stop this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

A shame, but I don't think this would surprise anyone. A great servant to Ireland in the final year of his career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

No surprise but a real shame.

I'll bet when he landed here on a 1-year deal as cover in 2011, he never dreamed he'd still be here 5 years later with Heineken Cup and Pro12 medals in his back pocket, 15-odd caps for his adopted country and an appearance at a World Cup.

Fair play to him, just hope he doesn't have any lasting effects from the concussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Gutted for White that he's not retiring in his own terms.

He's had a great career in Ireland won medals represented Ireland hope whatever he ends doing is as successful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Please, don't let us stop you. Feel free to continue the trend...

Zzippy wrote: »
    Please, don't let us stop you. Feel free to continue the trend...

Mike Sherry is going to be added to the list, just need to wait for the news to finally break. Not to long to wait, just be patient.

Mike Sherry is going to be added to the list, just need to wait for the news to finally break. Not to long to wait, just be patient.

Try not to get too excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Are you one of those guys who posts on planet rugby by chance?

5 minutes on PR and you realise the mods here deserve sainthood status.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Are you one of those guys who posts on planet rugby by chance?

5 minutes on PR and you realise the mods here deserve sainthood status.

You're not meant to let on that you appreciate them swiwi. They'll start getting notions of themselves now and acting above their station. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

molloyjh wrote: »
    You're not meant to let on that you appreciate them swiwi. They'll start getting notions of themselves now and acting above their station. :D

Banned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

http://www.the42.ie/alan-solomons-edinburgh-3000262-Sep2016/ Solomons stepping down a couple of days before the game.....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

With Solomons gone now and the injuries etc. that Edinburgh have we really should be aiming for a bonus point win against them.

Solomons leaving makes me more nervous than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

Solomons leaving makes me more nervous than anything.

I was thinking the same thing, could see the regular new manager effect where inexplicably suddenly the same players play at a higher level.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any word on Bundee Aki's contract renewal? I was told he's refusing to sign an extention.

blackhound wrote: »
    With Solomons gone now and the injuries etc. that Edinburgh have we really should be aiming for a bonus point win against them.

Given the season so far I think that's premature. Win the game first and foremost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Any word on Bundee Aki's contract renewal? I was told he's refusing to sign an extention.

Were you actually told by someone in the know or from someone who read a micky mouse online blog that cant substantiate any of their allegations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Would take 4 points from the game Friday to be honest - just need a win. Gonna be wet again so don't see us get a BP
    We haven't scored more than 1 try a game this season

If you're referencing that PunditLounge site I'd recommend you taking it with a ton of salt. That site is a toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

Nathan White forced to retire following medical advice after a recent concussion. An unfortunate end to a career which served Leinster Connnacht and Ireland very well

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Would take 4 points from the game Friday to be honest

On what basis would you take 4 points. You do know Edinburgh as Scarlets are rubbish. What you suggest is that we are even worse. Let's be honest. We know what's worse in this team. Lots of quality, lots of not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Pat Lam would rip your hand off if you offered him 4 points from this weekend.

Connacht need to get their season back on track particularly ahead of the ECC campaign and if that means a 3-0 win with an 80th minute wonky penalty, they should take it.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

flogthebog wrote: »
    On what basis would you take 4 points. You do know Edinburgh as Scarlets are rubbish. What you suggest is that we are even worse. Let's be honest. We know what's worse in this team. Lots of quality, lots of not.

You do know scarlets beat connacht last week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/munster-line-up-sensational-swoop-for-connacht-duo-35088085.html

long time reader, first time poster here. Just saw this on the Indo this morning....:mad:

Not sure how much truth is in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

cormpat wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/munster-rugby/munster-line-up-sensational-swoop-for-connacht-duo-35088085.html

long time reader, first time poster here. Just saw this on the Indo this morning....:mad:

I'd say they are going after both, and I can see Dillane making the move. I reckon Aki will head off to France or England though if he does leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

When is Ultan's contract up? Didn't he just sign one last season?

• Advertisement

He signed a 2 year contract at the start of last season so his contract is out at the end of this season(as is Roux's I believe). As for Aki, IBF said it over in the Munster thread and I 100% agree: without the help of the IRFU neither Connacht nor Munster can afford Aki. If we were talking Ulster or Leinster it's posible but Connacht and Munster aren't in good financial places. I think it's unlikely the IRFU will step in and facilitate/finance a move to Munster so I see him either staying at Connacht or going abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

He signed a 2 year contract at the start of last season so his contract is out at the end of this season(as is Roux's I believe). As for Aki, IBF said it over in the Munster thread and I 100% agree: without the help of the IRFU neither Connacht nor Munster can afford Aki. If we were talking Ulster or Leinster it's posible but Connacht and Munster aren't in good financial places. I think it's unlikely the IRFU will step in and facilitate/finance a move to Munster so I see him either staying at Connacht or going abroad.

I just had a look and they signed new contracts 2 seasons ago (January 2015) so they are up this summer. I thought thought that they were signed last seasons which would have given them another season to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's the Independent at the end of the day guys. It's a total rag when it comes to rugby. Rugby news must be in short supply.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    It's the Independent at the end of the day guys. It's a total rag when it comes to rugby. Rugby news must be in short supply.

Just a small correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

If Aki's form doesn't improve, I think both Munster and Connacht will be able to afford him next season. I expect it will but if it doesn't, I can't see English or French clubs offering huge money to him.

• Advertisement

It's a no brainer that Munster would want Dillan and Aki, I'm sure all the provinces would consider both subject to them having space but the reality is that under Foley Munster haven't produced any decent locks in years and they are light at centre so it's the most obvious.

Munster have also wanted to recruit or keep both players in the past. Lucky for the two lads they went to Connacht because I doubt they would have gotten any silverware had they taken the Munster option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Robb at 12!!!!!

Edit: forgot to paste rest of team in my excitement

15 Tiernan O’Halloran (104)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun (35)
    13 Bundee Aki (44)
    12 Peter Robb (18)
    11 Matt Healy (76)
    10 Jack Carty (57)
    9 Kieran Marmion (105)

1 Denis Buckley (98)
    2 Tom McCartney (47)
    3 Conor Carey (0)
    4 Quinn Roux (34)
    5 Ultan Dillane (30)
    6 Eoin McKeon (88)
    7 Jake Heenan (35)
    8 John Muldoon (captain) (278)

Replacements:
    16 Dave Heffernan (60)
    17 Ronan Loughney (186)
    18 Finlay Bealham (60)
    19 Lewis Stevenson (3)
    20 James Connolly (19)
    21 Caolin Blade (23)
    22 Shane O’Leary (17)
    23 Cian Kelleher (2)

Injured/Unavailable: Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Ivan Soroka, Saba Meunargia, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, Nepia Fox-Matamua, Sean O’Brien, Eoghan Masterson, John Cooney, Craig Ronaldson, Marnitz Boshoff, Rory Parata, Eoin Griffin, Josh Rowland, Darragh Leader, Ciaran Gaffney.

Connacht v Edinburgh
    Friday 30th September 2016
    At the Sportsground, 7.35pm.
    Live on TG4

Referee: Nigel Owens (WRU, 137th competition game)
    Assistant Referees: Simon Rees (WRU), John Carvill (IRFU)
    Citing Commissioner: John Cole (IRFU)
    TMO: Jon Mason (WRU)

https://twitter.com/EdinburghRugby/status/781449231374647328

Happy about Hidalgo Clyne on the bench and Frazer McKenzie being suspended.
    Unhappy about their front row.

really like the look of us though.
    We should be expecting a win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

CthD5-uWYAAGmz3.jpg:large

A much stronger team than that which lined out against Munster, notably with Ford and Nel back in the front row.

Edinburgh should be much improved this week, won't be a walkover for Conn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Carey Debut will be tough against that front row.

Rest of the team is spot on with whats available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

cormpat wrote: »

Looks like their agents are stirring things up already and the Indo definitely doesn't refuse ink.

Looks like their agents are stirring things up already and the Indo definitely doesn't refuse ink.

Both would be on central contracts next year.
    How would Munster interest help their cause?
    Surely it's all the same to the IRFU.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

connacht 5-4 on the -6 handicap tomorrow

I'd be surprised if Dillane was put on a central contract just yet. Usually there are only 15 or so at any given time for players who are likely to be in the starting XV. Like it or not Dillane is a shoe in for the 23 at the moment but he's likely to sit behind Henderson & Toner.

As for Bundee, we can hope he's put straight on a central contract and let him choose his province but I'm not so sure to be honest. It happened with Payne when we desperately needed a centre but do we really need one now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd be surprised if Dillane was put on a central contract just yet. Usually there are only 15 or so at any given time for players who are likely to be in the starting XV. Like it or not Dillane is a shoo in for the 23 at the moment but he's likely to sit behind Henderson & Toner.

As for Bundee, we can hope he's put straight on a central contract and let him choose his province but I'm not so sure to be honest. It happened with Payne when we desperately needed a centre but do we really need one now?

I have a feeling there are a few who will vehemently disagree with these bits, unless of course Dillane does depart in which case they might suddenly change their mind...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement