Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if Dillane was put on a central contract just yet. Usually there are only 15 or so at any given time for players who are likely to be in the starting XV. Like it or not Dillane is a shoe in for the 23 at the moment but he's likely to sit behind Henderson & Toner.

As for Bundee, we can hope he's put straight on a central contract and let him choose his province but I'm not so sure to be honest. It happened with Payne when we desperately needed a centre but do we really need one now?

Payne wasn't given a central contract straight away. He was on a provincial contract with Ulster and after a year was bumped up to a central one. The IRFU won't hand out a central contract to a player who has never played for Ireland.

They may get involved in negotiations to make a few promises about caps to help the chances of any of the provinces signing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    Payne wasn't given a central contract straight away. He was on a provincial contract with Ulster and after a year was bumped up to a central one. The IRFU won't hand out a central contract to a player who has never played for Ireland.

They may get involved in negotiations to make a few promises about caps to help the chances of any of the provinces signing him

My mistake. Even less likely then. I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility for the IRFU to get involved to try to keep him in the country but I can't see why they'd facilitate a move to Munster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I have a feeling there are a few who will vehemently disagree with these bits, unless of course Dillane does depart in which case they might suddenly change their mind...

Amazing how that works really:D

Anyone know whats the story with bidding from other provinces for Bundee as a matter of interest. Was their a rule that provinces couldnt outbid each other for Irish talent but non-Irish was everyone for himself? Is that still in place? Would it apply to Bundee this time around?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

It's the same fan boy so called journalists who create the stories each year of players they would cherry pick from Connacht and move to their own supported province. They have an expectation of taking Connacht players that are playing well. Wait for the McCartney to Leinster rumours along with the Bealham to Munster or Ulster crap. Papers won't refuse ink no matter how awful it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

freyners wrote: »
    Amazing how that works really:D

Anyone know whats the story with bidding from other provinces for Bundee as a matter of interest. Was their a rule that provinces couldnt outbid each other for Irish talent but non-Irish was everyone for himself? Is that still in place? Would it apply to Bundee this time around?

From what I gather NIQ is free for all (IRFU approved) , but once player is contracted to one province then another province cannot then try and out bid them when that contract is up, they can only match it..

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

Edinburgh had to bring in the big guns up front after Munster did a demolition job of them last weekend.

Also, bit of a heads up, Edinburgh have a pretty fit physio.

Funk It wrote: »

Also, bit of a heads up, Edinburgh have a pretty fit physio.

Yeah saw that, some arse. He must work out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Tis a soft day

It's odd to have a "must win" game this early in the season, but Connacht absolutely have to come away with points here or the required run of wins to get back into contention for top 4 will veer heavily into the "unlikely" column.

I really would like to see a good performance with growing confidence and the crowd to see some of last years form back on the pitch to get that atmosphere back. The league is better with a firing Connacht side in the mix.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

It's odd to have a "must win" game this early in the season, but Connacht absolutely have to come away with points here or the required run of wins to get back into contention for top 4 will veer heavily into the "unlikely" column.

I really would like to see a good performance with growing confidence and the crowd to see some of last years form back on the pitch to get that atmosphere back. The league is better with a firing Connacht side in the mix.

What you say is true. You mention a good performance. Its strange but the performances really haven't been that bad. A few mistakes and things look ten times worse than they are. And therein lies the biggest problem. Yes connacht play a game that is open to mistakes.

I would suggest what connacht need tonight is less mistakes and the performance will be better. And indeed it is a soft day wprathead.

flogthebog wrote: »
    What you say is true. You mention a good performance. Its strange but the performances really haven't been that bad. A few mistakes and things look ten times worse than they are. And therein lies the biggest problem. Yes connacht play a game that is open to mistakes.

I would suggest what connacht need tonight is less mistakes and the performance will be better. And indeed it is a soft day wprathead.

I watched the Glasgow game, the Zebre half game and most of the Ospreys game. I missed a good bit of Scarlets. So far in my opinion Connacht have looked shapeless going forward, not just mistakes but disjointed and lacking communication.

In defence it just appears that a few too many passengers are on the pitch who haven't started their season yet. Here's hoping for a turnaround tonight.

I watched the Glasgow game, the Zebre half game and most of the Ospreys game. I missed a good bit of Scarlets. So far in my opinion Connacht have looked shapeless going forward, not just mistakes but disjointed and lacking communication.

In defence it just appears that a few too many passengers are on the pitch who haven't started their season yet. Here's hoping for a turnaround tonight.

Where did you see this? I was under the impression that there was no TV coverage for that game?

BTW agree with what you said, defence did have a big improvement in the Scarlets game but still very blunt in attack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Where did you see this? I was under the impression that there was no TV coverage for that game?

BTW agree with what you said, defence did have a big improvement in the Scarlets game but still very blunt in attack

If you lived in Italy ;) it was streamed on YouTube

If you lived in Italy ;) it was streamed

As it happens I'm actually in Italy right now :)
    That's right had forgotten about the YouTube stream they had

Siting in an airport AGAIN so missing this match AGAIN. :mad:

TBH I think a lot of this is down to Marmion. I'm not blaming him for the performances or anything but he hasn't quite hit his stride yet and I think he's the under appreciated key part to the Connacht attack. It was grand when he last had a dip in form because we had Cooney to step in who's not too shabby himself but Blade hasn't kicked on as hoped yet and is a decent step down.

• Advertisement

As it happens I'm actually in Italy right now :)
    That's right had forgotten about the YouTube stream they had

Well that ruins my joke

TG4 player down for anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭NU8

Yes :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 530 ✭✭✭chippers

Website wont load for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Booooo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Heally probably injured himself in the warm up and tried to play though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Connacht lucky for the Adeolokun try. McKeown got a block in from an offside position. But overall some really positive stuff.

Heally probably injured himself in the warm up and tried to play though.

What happened? I see he came off but no details
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Connacht lucky for the Adeolokun try. McKeown got a block in from an offside position. But overall some really positive stuff.

The best back rows live in a legal grey area :D

I take it back. Playing silly buggers in their own 22 and now they've been turned over. Looks like a good try to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Connachts unwillingness to kick from their own 22 haunting then again

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Connachts unwillingness to kick from their own 22 haunting then again

It's pure stupidity. They were being driven backwards inside their own 22 and they still insisted on putting it through the hands. Madness.

What on earth are Connacht doing...

new definition of flat pass. bewildering

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's pure stupidity. They were being driven backwards inside their own 22 and they still insisted on putting it through the hands. Madness.

Completely agreed, and not taking the weather into account at all.

Sometimes pragmatism is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Would there be anything to be said for booting the ball to touch in your own 22? Keep their back 3 honest and then maybe make a bit if space out wide. It's becoming predicable

• Advertisement

Wow, that was a superb offload from Heenan. Did so well to keep those shoulders free so long

It's a really strange performance. One minute Connacht look good and the next they look terrible.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Marmion far too slow around the pitch. Passing laterally off the backs of rucks and barely walking to get in position for the next one, then getting pissy when his backs don't slot in for him at scrun half. Either that ankle knock is taking its toll or he's to blame for a lot of near disasters at the breakdown.

dregin wrote: »
    Marmion far too slow around the pitch. Passing laterally off the backs of rucks and barely walking to get in position for the next one, then getting pissy when his backs don't slot in for him at scrun half. Either that ankle knock is taking its toll or he's to blame for a lot of near disasters at the breakdown.

Yet he's been good around the fringes having a go. It's like at times they remember what it is they should be doing and execute well, only to forget immediately after.

That's more like it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Forwards playing like backs. Beautiful.

You would think at times Connacht have 1 at most 2 back row's on the pitch.

Edit: Lovely hand, lovely pass, great try.

Jake Heenan has been excellent. I really really hope he stays fit, he'll be playing at the next level in no time if he does.

Connacht scrum making a mockery of Edinburgh.

• Advertisement

Jake Heenan has been excellent. I really really hope he stays fit, he'll be playing at the next level in no time if he does.

You mean with Leinster, right? :pac:

Glad we got a penalty of that. It should have been a penalty for pulling roux in the air

both niyi and matt injured. loss of niyi huge. matt has been so ordinary this weather. edinburgh try such an obvious forward pass it begs some degree of question

Glad we got a penalty of that. It should have been a penalty for pulling roux in the air

Was it not Muldoon? Either way you're right.

Connacht the better side out there. Should be targeting a TBP from here. Some of Edinburghs tackling when there's a bit of pace on it has been soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I don't get the hype about the Edinburgh front row. Ford is a wildly over-rated big Jessie and Nel is an adequate prop but no more. I've seen people punting him for a Lions place. They'd have to have shot a lot of other tight heads first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Well I think it's clear enough : Robb and Carey are 2 raw gems
    Heenan with a stupid pen but oh my god 1-hand-pass + volley pass on the same action within 5 sec for our 2nd try!

• Advertisement

jacothelad wrote: »
    I don't get the hype about the Edinburgh front row. Ford is a wildly over-rated big Jessie and Nel is an adequate prop but no more. I've seen people punting him for a Lions place. They'd have to have shot a lot of other tight heads first.

Ha, that got a laugh out of me anyway. I've never gotten the hype about them either. I'd rate them as fairly solid players but that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

i've come back to the tg4 player to find gaa instead of the second half, this is odd

Lovely hands!

The movement in the middle of the park for that try was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

That was pretty poor to allow that offload to Kelleher. Cracking offload tbf.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement