Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Connacht abu

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

And as soon as they do something good they need to follow it up with something stupid.

Dear Connacht,

It's perfectly okay to use the boot to exit your 22 from time to time.

Yours,
    A Confused Spectator

That was pretty poor to allow that offload to Kelleher. Cracking offload tbf.

Edinburgh full back was all at sea there. No idea what he thought he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

i'm still watching gaa, what is going on

b.gud wrote: »
    Where did you see this? I was under the impression that there was no TV coverage for that game?

BTW agree with what you said, defence did have a big improvement in the Scarlets game but still very blunt in attack
    Swan Curry wrote: »
    i'm still watching gaa, what is going on

It's just the new rules they are trying out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Blade is so poor at box kicks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Blade is so poor at box kicks
    we dont do boxkicks so that might explain it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Our line-out is poor aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Think Nel gets the lion's prediction to cover the token Scot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jaysus, Edinburgh are woeful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Our line-out is poor aswell
    Our lineout has been poor all season.

Nicely taken. I hope Robb isn't too badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Jesus, Robb's a big unit

BP secured. The points are badly needed but we still are a long way off where we need to be. Edinburgh are very poor tonight. Their scrum is a mess. We shouldn't be letting them in for any tries, our defense needs to be better.

Great to see Connacht get the TBP but Edinburgh really are a very poor side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Guys guys, Connacht did pretty much ok tonight. 4 trys, better defense, Robb and Carey more than prospects.
    Future is bright!

molloyjh wrote: »
    Great to see Connacht get the TBP but Edinburgh really are a very poor side.
    edinburgh were shockingly bad. and we werent much better. tiernan did his thing, niyi did his thing. i do suggest we are not very good. bundee is ordinary, robb is just this braun thing (more muscle than i have ever seen, but thats it, no talent. Jack is jack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

molloyjh wrote: »
    And as soon as they do something good they need to follow it up with something stupid.

Dear Connacht,

It's perfectly okay to use the boot to exit your 22 from time to time.

Yours,
    A Confused Spectator

You need to rewatch last season Mr Goldfishmemory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Delighted with that. I think Robb was excellent and Carey was certainly impressive.

I hope Buckley and Healy aren't too bad. I'd say McKeown was just one knock too many.

• Advertisement

Do you know what Buckley has? Doesn't seem too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

matt Healy broken hand..fs

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

In his pre match chat with Varley, Lam said the issues have been poor workrate off the ball getting back into position, an issue they spoke about during the week. Interesting comment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Buckley on crutches at the end. Couldn't put any weight on the leg. Looked pretty seriuos.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Buckley on crutches at the end. Couldn't put any weight on the leg. Looked pretty seriuos.

Oh FFS Why didn't Lam have him out before 70th...

Alot of positives but unfortunately even more injuries put a slight dampner on things

hopefully not same ankle Buckley just had surgery on

Marmion and Healy also looked to have taken knocks, overheard someone in Clan say was Healy's wrist but he could have just been talking though his hoop
    Really hope Cooney is back soon, while Marmion didn't have his best game he is still miles ahead of Blade

Carey looks like a decent find at TH

Robb, Muldoon, Heenan, Buckley, Niyi and McCartney (lineouts aside, although not sure down to his darts) were my standouts

Also special mention to Carty, takes a alot of heat at times but thought he had a really good game

• Advertisement

I'll need a watch back but a win is a win an a bp win is even better no matter the performance.
    That said there's a bit to be done.
    Workrate still not where it needs to be but getting there
    Handling still off bit I'll forgive a bit for the weather
    Not happy with passing from rucks carty was reaching high quite a bit. Just slows down attacks.
    Line-out is an issue we need to win our own ball a lot more.
    Subs weren't great it'll be where we are let down most over the season I think.

Positives
    Bundee showed a lot more of his old form
    Robb had a good game himself and Bundee have a good understanding
    The scrum. And Carey going well
    Winning

Can play LH too, as can Finlay
    I'll try him with Bealham, both starting.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

connachta wrote: »
    Well I think it's clear enough : Robb and Carey are 2 raw gems
    Heenan with a stupid pen but oh my god 1-hand-pass + volley pass on the same action within 5 sec for our 2nd try!

I wouldn't describe Robb as raw. He looked pretty slick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

wp_rathead wrote:

FYI, it was his knee and not ankle that was wrapped in ice..... But yeah, he was not putting Y weight on it at all

Alot of positives but unfortunately even more injuries put a slight dampner on things

Marmion and Healy also looked to have taken knocks, overheard someone in Clan say was Healy's wrist but he could have just been talking though his hoop
    Really hope Cooney is back soon, while Marmion didn't have his best game he is still miles ahead of Blade

Robb, Muldoon, Heenan, Buckley, Niyi and McCartney (lineouts aside, although not sure down to his darts) were my standouts

Also special mention to Carty, takes a alot of heat at times but thought he had a really good game

Jack, well it was a once off. It has always been a once off. Are you honestly telling me jacks performance was not a once off.

I know how critical I am but jack simply does not fit and never had. There is no player on this team that would trust him to do anything because you wouldnt have a notion what he would do next. He is so far removed from this team to consider him a part of this team is somewhat well kinda funny in a tragic sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭jam83

flogthebog wrote: »
    Jack, well it was a once off. It has always been a once off. Are you honestly telling me jacks performance was not a once off.

I know how critical I am but jack simply does not fit and never had. There is no player on this team that would trust him to do anything because you wouldnt have a notion what he would do next. He is so far removed from this team to consider him a part of this team is somewhat well kinda funny in a tragic sense

Completely OTT. That last line is tragic in itself. You drunk? I'm no carty apologist but he did play well. Now he did miss some pretty straightforward kicks in the second half when there wasn't a puff of wind. And therein is the difference between carty and most of the outhalves in the pro12.

But that post of yours is just nonsensical criticism. At least spell out the issues if you feel that strongly about cartys place in the team.
    All it is is bitter rambling.

jam83 wrote: »
    flogthebog wrote: »

Completely OTT. That last line is tragic in itself. You drunk? I'm no carty apologist but he did play well. Now he did miss some pretty straightforward kicks in the second half when there wasn't a puff of wind. And therein is the difference between carty and most of the outhalves in the pro12.

But that post of yours is just nonsensical criticism. At least spell out the issues if you feel that strongly about cartys place in the team.

When Boshoff and even Ronaldson are available, the question about his place in the team will be raised, even if he was more than ok today

jam83 wrote: »

Jack picked really good kicking lines. If I were to say I was damm impressed. But I saw this last year, then I saw it the year before as well. So I don't go with wpratheads viewpoint One game is simply not good enough. Its the other 7 rubbish games in between. It has always been the case with Jack. It will always be the case with Jack. Be happy today for jack. I am happy today for jack. He really needs to go back to AIL. I wish him the best but he simply isnt anywhere near

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 cpositivity

Long time lurker. First time poster.

Five points happily taken against a poor Edinburgh team. There are at least six better teams in the league who would have turned us over easily tonight.

Major positives:

- We won
    - We got five points.

Positives:

- We lated til 80 minutes.
    - The scrum continues to be a force.
    - Robb and Aki worked together. Griffin just hasn't played enough rugby in the last two years to partner anyone.
    - Mul was brilliant. Enough of the death notices people. He's almost 34 and a brilliant link player and sucks in multiple tacklers. He's not the 28 year old rampaging ball carrier you imagine still exists when the rest of the team is rubbish.

Negatives:

- Our lineout was shocking. Complete confusion with only one option and borderline arguments between players on the pitch about tactics. Edinburgh will be annoyed they let us away with any ball, seriously.
    - Ultan at five. He's got huge potential but when used as a first/second receiver he telegraphs almost every pass and was successfully targeted by Edinburgh for the entire second half. Aly is so badly missed.
    - Jack played okay but we seriously miss the AJ and his ability to step the blitz defense.
    - Blade just can't replace Marmion when pressure is involved on evidence so far this season.
    - Buckley out with a leg injury.
    - Helay out with a broken hand.

Major negatives:

- Reading the crap that "flogthebog" has written in this thread. I get called negative when I talk about rugby sometimes, but it's nothing by comparison. I want to slash my wrists listening to unchecked negativity he spouts.

thats getting a bit too negative. have done the first three series of breaking bad in the last week. have watched closely. figure i have the cyrstal meth combo sorted:-). granted a couple of series to go. maybe there is a new truth. maybe jack is that crystal meth new truth

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Couldn't agree more with cpositivity's last point.

You'd think the constant personal attacks on our 24 year old out half, who is just back from a long injury enforced break, might pause after the performance he had tonight.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get an infraction for pointing it out though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Evil_g wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more with cpositivity's last point.

You'd think the constant personal attacks on our 24 year old out half, who is just back from a long injury enforced break, might pause after the performance he had tonight.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get an infraction for pointing it out though.

Whenever he posts it seems to be one of two things.

1) Absolute nonsense that only he could interpret (see his last post) - I genuinely wonder if his use of the forum is good for his mental health.

2) Relentless attacks on certain players, with little or no consideration for the player themselves or anyone connected to the player, combined with random attacks on others.

The absolute ridiculousness of the situation is that Muldoon was singled out for criticism last week and Robb this week. They both had stormers.

For the record. I thought Carty was good tonight but dipped in patches. He seemed to get a bit shaky in open play after missing from the tee, but some of his kicking from hand was bang on. His passing and tackling were, as always, to a high standard.

Come on guys, have we got any other reasonable choice than Jack at the moment? No, until Boshoff/Ronaldson are available. Lam won't start SOL for the 1st time against Ulster and Toulouse. Let's stop talking about Carty, pros or cons, for now

Our main issues for both high-standard games coming next are :

1) Who's in for Buckley? I'm in favour of Bealham LH, Carey TH, Saba on the bench with Loughney
    2) Who's in for McKeon? I'm in favour of Dillane moved to 6, as expected against Scarlets, and Brownie back as n 5. Would help the lineout to function too
    3) Take the risk of Conor Cannon introduced immediately on the bench for Stevenson, and J.Cooney for Blade? I think we should
    4) Who's in for Healy? Not worried here, with Lli, Poolman and Kelleher all available.. Own preference for Danie, this backline needs a bit of experience.
    5) How close to return are SOB II.0 and Romaine? Could add a bit of competition for the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

If Jack could have 7/10 games like that more consistently this year it would be great. Boschoff won't just slot in immediately and O'Leary hasn't done enough in his cameos this year to take 10. We'll need him a lot this year. His clearance kicks were a much improved bar a couple, in play he was solid and put the try on a platter for Kelleher and defensively has was OK.

Must say Niyi's improvement is phenomenal. Big tackles, caught a super ball and when given the chance caused huge panic in the Embra defence.

Robb makes a big difference at centre. A battering ram of a man.

Was happy Carey had a good game because we're likely down Buckley for a while.

Hope they can keep it going next week. If Piatau's on the wing we're in trouble.

Once again, as I noticed last season, Robb is mostly underrated about his defence
    Yesterday confirmation : tackles 10, missed 0

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Once again, as I noticed last season, Robb is mostly underrated about his defence
    Yesterday confirmation : tackles 10, missed 0

His tackling was very impressive alright but he is not flawless mind - he was out of position for one of the Edinburgh breaks to such an extent he wasn't close enough to attempt a tackle ha

But I'm delighted for him, had a great game. Such potential- people who have him pigeon holed as just a big brute doesn't do him justice.

Anyone know if McKeon was a concussion? Seemed rather groggy going off but was just doing stretching then on bench

I think Connacht's bad start will help us out when it comes time for November selections. I know we are not supposed to think like that, "The number of Connacht players in the Ireland squad is a measure of Connacht's success and all that", but the less players we loose the stronger we'll be during November and Champions Cup groups games.

I think Connacht's bad start will help us out when it comes time for November selections. I know we are not supposed to think like that, "The number of Connacht players in the Ireland squad is a measure of Connacht's success and all that", but the less players we loose the stronger we'll be during November and Champions Cup groups games.

Totally disagree. You want you're best guys exposed to that level, it improves them immeasurably.

AIL news :

bad
    Delahunt and Lowndes only played on the bench
    Saba injured since mid-Sept

good
    O'Donnell, Romaine and Poolman started
    Kindregan scored a try and might be a medical joker for 5/6 if Marshall can't come back

thought ulster were very impressive this weekend. ludik looked fantastic. That said gilroy and bowe looked rusty (as they might do) and piatau looked lacking in imagination. that aside ulsterlooked decent. will be a big obstacle next weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

I would love it if Connacht would throw one of there academy locks into the team, they all look like tanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,246 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I don't think so tbh.

At least two of Healy, Adeloukan and ToH will be selected in the wider squad and will get a chance against Canada. O'Halloran will also travel to Chicago if Rob Kearney isn't fit. I reckon Bealham will go as third choice tighthead and Dillane is a cert to be in the 23 for both All Blacks games. Marmion is now Ireland's reserve scrumhalf since Reddan's retirement. I'd say Buckley would travel as well but management doesn't seem to like him. Connacht have some very good players who have steadily improved over the last 2 or three seasons. Schmidt won't dismiss that just because they've started a season poorly.

Sean O’Brien, James Connolly, Peter Robb and Caolin Blade all sign contract until 2018
    Also, Ivan Sokora officially announced as signing contract for the season

I didn't realise how young they all are if they keep on the upward trend they will be serious players! And they are good players as is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

McCartney, Healy and Buckley all ruled out for the Ulster game. Injury bug strikes again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement