Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

McCartney, Healy and Buckley all ruled out for the Ulster game. Injury bug strikes again.

Terrible timing with the run we have coming up all could be out for a while it looked like at the game Friday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Losing Buckley and McCartney in one go is huge, significantly weakens our pack. Hopefully neither is very serious and they're both back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Bazzo wrote: »
    Losing Buckley and McCartney in one go is huge, significantly weakens our pack. Hopefully neither is very serious and they're both back soon.

Absolutely terrible news but hopefully they are not serious injuries. Carey looks good for TH so Finlay could move to LH or start Loughney and have Soroka bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Absolutely terrible news but hopefully they are not serious injuries. Carey looks good for TH so Finlay could move to LH or start Loughney and have Soroka bench.
    Agree but Soroka is injured

• Advertisement

We're unlucky but not decimated

If Lam takes ponderate risks, he should try :

1) Bealham
    2) Heffernan
    3) Carey
    4) Roux
    5) SOB
    6) Dillane
    7) Heenan
    8 ) Muldoon
    9) Cooney
    10) Carty
    11) Poolman
    12) Robb
    13) Aki
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

16) Delahunt
    17) Loughney
    18) O'Donnell
    19) Browne/Cannon
    20) McKeon/Connolly
    21) Marmion/Blade
    22) Ronaldson/SOL
    23) Kelleher

19/20/21/22 first choice subject to availability, if not, 2nd name indicated

Yeah, risky but could be a real advantage to have straight in
    Cooney (speed recycling)
    SOB+Browne or Cannon (physicality and lineout issues)
    O'Donnell (scrummage)
    Poolman (experience and defence in the back-line)
    Bealham at emergency LH (Joe trusted him there, Carey can do the job on the other side)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

connachta wrote: »
    We're unlucky but not decimated

If Lam takes ponderate risks, he should try :

1) Bealham
    2) Heffernan
    3) Carey
    4) Roux
    5) SOB
    6) Dillane
    7) Heenan
    8 ) Muldoon
    9) Cooney
    10) Carty
    11) Poolman
    12) Robb
    13) Aki
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

16) Delahunt
    17) Loughney
    18) O'Donnell
    19) Browne/Cannon
    20) McKeon/Connolly
    21) Marmion/Blade
    22) Ronaldson/SOL
    23) Kelleher

19/20/21/22 first choice subject to availability, if not, 2nd name indicated

Yeah, risky but could be a real advantage to have straight in
    Cooney (speed recycling)
    SOB+Browne or Cannon (physicality and lineout issues)
    O'Donnell (scrummage)
    Poolman (experience and defence in the back-line)
    Bealham at emergency LH (Joe trusted him there, Carey can do the job on the other side)

Why SOB at 5 and Dillane at 6? Other way around would make more sense to me.
    Marmion hasnt been ruled out yet I think so there's a chance he will be fit.
    Kelleher might get the nod ahead of Poolman but wouldnt worry either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

that actually looks pretty damn tasty with the black, dark blue and lime/neon green

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/783290603119443968

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Very nice

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Reading the indo today there were 6 connacht players at Irish camp earlier this week. With matt, Buckley out then we have Finlay, Kieran, ultan, Quinn and tiernan. So then i guess niyi (how good would that be). It would seem a logical conclusion?

After losing Andre Bell over the summer, Blues confirm that Dave Ellis will be returning to NZ next season :(

That's gonna be a massive loss

edit: apparently he is gone before end of the season, which is even worse

Connacht really have been gutted over the past few months.

2 coaches is big imo and then between retirements and players going there's a leadership drought IMO there.

Muldoon, McCartney, Aki, are carrying the team and Aki can only do that when he's in form.

Connacht really have been gutted over the past few months.

2 coaches is big imo and then between retirements and players going there's a leadership drought IMO there.

Muldoon, McCartney, Aki, are carrying the team and Aki can only do that when he's in form.

I would argue Aki as leader

flogthebog wrote: »
    I would argue Aki as leader

By all accounts Bundee was a central leader last season. I personally think he's not in form this year so not giving/able to give to the team like he was

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

flogthebog wrote: »
    Reading the indo today there were 6 connacht players at Irish camp earlier this week. With matt, Buckley out then we have Finlay, Kieran, ultan, Quinn and tiernan. So then i guess niyi (how good would that be). It would seem a logical conclusion?

I think it could be Kelleher, he has been in Schmidt's Ireland camps before + a lot of wingers are there Joe to pick from even Sweetnam who's been immense (Arguably the best winger this season in Ireland) only got in because D.Kearney and McFadden where injured.

By all accounts Bundee was a central leader last season. I personally think he's not in form this year so not giving/able to give to the team like he was
    bundee is a talisman, john, tom and tiernan are leaders as suggested by their captaincy. very different and credit to tom on how he has built such a level of respect in such a short space of time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Your NZ skills coach from 2015 has signed for the Blues. A good piece of business by Umaga based on Connacht's enterprising play last season.

Seems to be Niyi iin the Irish camp. Even with Healy/Leader out, I'm not worried yet for winger Kelleher/Rowland/Poolman/Ili/Parata/O'Keefe can do the job for November
    2nd row will be Browne/Cannon/SOB, if there's no more injury we're just ok
    Cooney/Kerrins much needed for SH
    Props worries me a lot more, as long as I've got no news of Buckley. Without Bealham, young 20 y-o O'Donnell may have to step up. McCoy due early November, hope he'll make it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

wp_rathead wrote: »
    After losing Andre Bell over the summer, Blues confirm that Dave Ellis will be returning to NZ next season :(

That's gonna be a massive loss

edit: apparently he is gone before end of the season, which is even worse

Jesus. Massive loss alright. No one man is responsible for what has been achieved by Connacht over the last three years but he has been integral to the playing culture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I will go as far to say that I am more gutted about Ellis leaving than Robbie !!!! He is an outstanding coach and did a fantastic job. Real shame

Ellis is a huge loss. The improvement of handling and skills under him has been impressive. He's been mentioned in so many of the player interviews I've read too so he was obviously well respected and thought of as an integral part of the coaching ticket.

Hopefully the culture he helped instill carries on after he's left.

Didnt see this posted apologies if someone else posted already but confirmed that Niyi was in the training camp with Ireland this week.
    http://www.the42.ie/adeolokun-ireland-joe-schmidt-2016-3010545-Oct2016/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Niyi is my Lions bolter !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Shelflife wrote: »

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

It would be great for him. But outside of Niyi who else will even get a mention?

Healy? Dillane?

Dillane !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

Ultan is mine. Keep meaning to go into PP and see if they are offering odds on it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Den Buckley for the Lions.

Also, does anyone have a nice easily printed fixture list floating around?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Robbo wrote: »
    Den Buckley for the Lions.

Also, does anyone have a nice easily printed fixture list floating around?

Evil_G's time to shine.

(Made it for my girlfriend - green means I have to be in Galway, dark green means I definitely have to be in Galway)

Connacht Fixture List.jpg

398450.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Much obliged, Evil_g.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

Evil_g wrote: »
    Evil_G's time to shine.

(Made it for my girlfriend - green means I have to be in Galway, dark green means I definitely have to be in Galway)

Connacht Fixture List.jpg

398450.jpg

You seem to be missing the dates for the Pro12 playoffs & final there :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Knock Out Champions Cup is faaarrrr more likely at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

I was negotiating shore leave.

I'm hardly going to include the unforeseen special occasions that it would be entirely unreasonable to expect me to miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I know there's a few Connacht fans knocking about nordieland, anybody up for watching the match somewhere in Belfast tomorrow eve? Would be nice to not be the only green shirt in the bar for once! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

14492407_10154062262213562_5015336769050630927_n.jpg?oh=4ef2d4ec15567117b27878a25d973848&oe=5867A41B

Youhooo!
    Pat listened to me about Bealham 1 Carey 3
    happy Ronaldson is back to take the tee, will lighten Carty's burden
    fell bad for Robb though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Youhooo!
    Pat listened to me about Bealham 1 Carey 3
    happy Ronaldson is back to take the tee, will lighten Carty's burden
    fell bad for Robb though

+1 on seeing Ronaldson back.

We have Stacey Ili on the bench - it would be good to see how good he is or is not the best backline in the competition - IMO

A new scrum half too. I like Blade but he needs a little pressure on him for the second scrumhalf spot, he has stalled a little in his development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

molloyjh wrote: »
    14492407_10154062262213562_5015336769050630927_n.jpg?oh=4ef2d4ec15567117b27878a25d973848&oe=5867A41B

Not a bad side considering the injuries. I'm never confident going against Ulster though. We always seem to find a way to lose to them.

Not sure about Blade. Last couple times I saw him I thought his service was a bit too slow and passes too lofted. Big challenge for him to step up.

Not sure about Blade. Last couple times I saw him I thought his service was a bit too slow and passes too lofted. Big challenge for him to step up.

That's why I'd have prefered Ron/Rob/Aki, to compensate slow balls by midfield physicality

• Advertisement

Is Eoin Griffin injured?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Is Eoin Griffin injured?

he is i think..
    but he also started the season rather poorly (wasn't alone mind)
    Ronaldson-Aki is probably our strongest centre combination and will be the default pairing when both fit I say
    and then we also have Robb and Parata to challenge for centre spot with him

Well, we all noticed Heff, Kell and Blade as unexpectedly luxury cover for McCartney, Healy and Marms, which is great
    But what is even greater for Toulouse is that I think Ronaldson, in his comeback after 6 months, already shown how much stability he adds in midfield. Same for Brownie in 2nd row
    Carey confirmed being ok, SOB was clearly available as 24th man, which is good timing, as McKeon needs a proper rest
    Great to see Lam having a bit of headache to come for Toulouse between Robb/Ronaldson/Griff, Marmion/Blade/Cooney, and Roux/Browne

Apparently Robb pulled up in the captain's run yesterday which is why Ronaldson ended up starting at 12.

I'm not complaining, thought he added a lot and didn't look to be blowing too hard for a guy who played 80 mins coming back from a 6(?) month layoff.

Apparently Robb pulled up in the captain's run yesterday which is why Ronaldson ended up starting at 12.

I'm not complaining, thought he added a lot and didn't look to be blowing to hard for a guy who played 80 mins coming back from a 6(?) month layoff.
    Read that, but Robb isn't ruled out for Toulouse, is he?

Read that, but Robb isn't ruled out for Toulouse, is he?

Unless somebody around Galway hears something we won't know more until the squad update during the week unfortunately.

Enjoyed that evening........

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Enjoyed that evening........

11.44pm? :eek:

Presume you're just calling in to the house to change from the jersey into a shirt? ;)

11.44pm? :eek:

Presume you're just calling in to the house to change from the jersey into a shirt? ;)

Deodorant on and good to go......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

well thinking ahead to next week we have an extra day and we're still at home ,Toulouse are away to league leaders Clermont on sunday and a 6 day turn around including travelling here ,good advantage already :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement