Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

It's a done deal.

Silly imo, with Carty, Ronaldson, O'Leary and Boshoff to come in Barrett will never get a game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

connachta wrote: »
    NIQ or Munster lock to come the other way?
    I wouldn't bank on it, we lost Muldowney and ended up with Lewis Stevenson, lost Henshaw and ended up with Stacey Ili. Something not quite adding up

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

I wouldn't bank on it, we lost Muldowney and ended up with Lewis Stevenson, lost Henshaw and ended up with Stacey Ili. Something not quite adding up
    IRFU will be in our back, this time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

IRFU will be in our back, this time
    Wouldn't count on it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

It's a done deal.

How sure are you?

Connacht poached XV :
    NB: By poached, I don't imply they're born in the West, I mean raw meterial when they came to Connacht, close (Emerging at least) to international level when they left (not necessarily still now)
    1) Hagan
    2) Cronin
    3) Ah You
    4) McCarthy
    5) Kearney
    6) Dillane
    7) Heenan was close to go south
    8) Muldowney
    9) Marmion back in Wales if he hasn't enough gametime with Ireland
    10) Keatley
    11) Carr
    12) Henshaw
    13) Griffin
    14) Vainikolo
    15) ? nobody for now, but surely TOH is next

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

15 Gavin Duffy?

Adbrowne wrote: »
    15 Gavin Duffy?
    You mean when he went to England? was he at his best?

Connacht poached XV :
    NB: By poached, I don't imply they're born in the West, I mean raw meterial when they came to Connacht, close (Emerging at least) to international level when they left (not necessarily still now)
    1) Hagan IRE
    2) Cronin IRE
    3) Ah You IRE
    4) McCarthy IRE
    5) Kearney IRE
    6) Dillane
    7) Heenan was close to go south
    8) Muldowney
    9) Marmion back in Wales if he hasn't enough gametime with Ireland
    10) Keatley IRE
    11) Carr IRE
    12) Henshaw IRE
    13) Griffin
    14) Vainikolo
    15) ? nobody for now, but surely TOH is next

You have 3 'maybes' on the list! Unnecessary padding imo. Stick Damien Browne at 5 and move Kearney to 6 if you're desperate. Always interesting to see who made a provincial move and who went outside of Ireland too.

You mean when he went to England? was he at his best?

Cant recall much about him. Just remember him being capped by EoS while at Harlequins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I suppose one positive is that the way our academy is churning them out we could probably fill any vacancies the other provinces have still fill ours.

Seriously though, losing Henshaw because he was looking to play a higher standard of rugby over loyalty to his province was a hard one to swallow.
    Now potentially Dillane because of loyalty to his province instead of the standard we are playing. Alongside the fact that Connacht provided the opportunities for him when Munster had no faith in him.

We had some pretty important contract extensions in the last few months. I am delighted with the academy grads that have signed on. Healy, TOH, Niyi, Bealham but this still pisses me off.
    I suppose we were going to lose one of him or Quinn Roux. I hope it's not both.

List I want to be kept at the end of the year:

Pat Lam, (What is Carolan's contract like?)
    Buckley,
    McCartney,
    one of Roux/Dillane (we will probably lose the other to Munster)
    one of Blade/Cooney (we will probably lose the other to Ulster),
    Carty,
    Aki,
    Leader (We need him if TOH progresses with Ireland)

I am worried about Pat's line over the last few weeks that people leaving is a compliment and that they have built something sustainable.
    I am encouraged to see his son doing so well at 'wegians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Lams contract goes till 2018. Haven't seen wegians play this year, does the soon look like he could progress to professional? Think I heard he's only around 20?

Also wouldn't give up on Dillane yet. Maybe he'll go but these rumours always circulate, last season it was Heenan to Munster, recall Marmion was linked elsewhere too and Henshaw had been meant to move before he did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Heenan to Munster

That would have been a better signing for them than anything mentioned.

I can't think of the last time Munster had a genuine open-side.

It's a done deal.

Like Heenan to Munster or like the NZ born 2nd row we signed during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

you'd never guess contracts were up for negotiation!!

Dillane's Tralee roots does make a Munster return sound more plausible though. Aki will go to the highest bidder. He's dead right to do that too, he has to look after himself first & foremost. No province can outbid Connacht for a player but much like Henshaw, they may be able to offer him other opportunities that wouldn't be so readily available to him in Connacht.

flogthebog wrote: »
    munster has been spending an incredible amount of money for a club that's broke and are not seeing footfall at the turnstiles. they can't afford repayments on their grounds yet manage to build a state of the art set of facilities and are spending on new players and management with abandon. it doesn't make sense to me anyway

UL paid for the training centre iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Just wondering am I entitled to offer tickets to the match this weekend at under face value to a boardsie in this forum? Some friends pulled out of going. I know there's obviously a ban on ticket touting etc but not sure if that's banned also and I can only place on adverts. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

If a player can secure a bigger pay cheque from a different club then you can't blame them for jumping. If I was offered the same job with a different company for more, I'd be gone tomorrow.

Loyalty to a province is a bizarre thing to say. These lads are trying to make a living

• Advertisement

munster has been spending an incredible amount of money for a club that's broke and are not seeing footfall at the turnstiles. they can't afford repayments on their grounds yet manage to build a state of the art set of facilities and are spending on new players and management with abandon. it doesn't make sense to me anyway

I think Munster will be losing a few high earners and I expect Erasmus to cut adrift some dead wood in the squad too. Saili probably [he is on just a 2 year deal?] and Chisholm [definitely] wont be there next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Raisins wrote: »
    Just wondering am I entitled to offer tickets to the match this weekend at under face value to a boardsie in this forum? Some friends pulled out of going. I know there's obviously a ban on ticket touting etc but not sure if that's banned also and I can only place on adverts. Thanks

If you can't here you can on the Connacht clan forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

It's a done deal.

What is?

MugMugs wrote: »
    If a player can secure a bigger pay cheque from a different club then you can't blame them for jumping. If I was offered the same job with a different company for more, I'd be gone tomorrow.

Loyalty to a province is a bizarre thing to say. These lads are trying to make a living

Provinces aren't meant to be allowed outbid each other. My whole argument is based on the fact that the paycheck would be the same. (I realise that may be naive)
    Even if they was more money - career progression, job satisfaction, and, yes, loyalty to a team and wanting to see out a project would be and have been influencing factor in my career decisions.

Being close to home can also be an influencing factor, and I accept that.

Provinces aren't meant to be allowed outbid each other. My whole argument is based on the fact that the paycheck would be the same. (I realise that may be naive)
    Even if they was more money - career progression, job satisfaction, and, yes, loyalty to a team and wanting to see out a project would be and have been influencing factor in my career decisions.

Being close to home can also be an influencing factor, and I accept that.

The paycheck will be the same with the provinces but some provinces are better placed to offer further opportunities

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Tony Ward says the natural order of the provinces restored in the indo today :-).

• Advertisement

Tony Ward says the natural order of the provinces restored in the indo today :-).

Ah now I read what you're on about and you're being very select in what your quoting from him.
    Here's the full quote on the order of the province's

"They say a league table never lies, so with Ulster and Leinster sharing top spot, Munster fifth and Connacht eighth, you would assume that's the pecking order of the provinces heading into European action.

Not so. On the evidence of the first games of consequence last weekend, I'd rate them Connacht, Leinster, Ulster and Munster."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

ok, it was a tad selective :-). or should I say that I just slightly, slightly skewed his meaning :-). Indeed it was ever so slightly I'm surprised you noticed :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Injury update is out, not great reading I'm afraid...

SOB back, Griffin and Parata due to get back training and fingers crossed Marmion back training. Quinn Roux picked up a concussion in training last week which I didn't know...

Ahead of Saturday’s Champions Cup opener to Toulouse at the Sportsground, the Connacht Rugby medical team have provided the following update.

Tom McCartney will remain out of action until the end of November following the hamstring injury sustained v Edinburgh.

Denis Buckley will be unavailable until November with the knee injury he sustained v Edinburgh.

Matt Healy has undergone surgery for the hand injury he sustained v Edinburgh and will be unavailable until the end of November.

Quinn Roux is recovering from a concussion sustained in training last week and continues to go through the Return-To-Play protocols.

Sean O’Brien has recovered from the ankle injury sustained in pre-season and has been reintegrated to full training.

Eoin McKeon is recovering well from the chest injury that resulted in him coming off against Ulster at the weekend.

Kieran Marmion is recovering from the calf injury he sustained v Edinburgh and hopes to be available to train this week.

Peter Robb sustained a hip injury in training last week and is undergoing rehabilitation with the medical and fitness staff.

Eoin Griffin (hamstring) and Rory Parata (knee) are due to integrate into team training this week after recovering from their respective injuries.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/10586/#ConnachtNews

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote: »
    Quinn Roux picked up a concussion in training last week which I didn't know...

Think that was they knock they mentioned he picked up in the Ireland camp

b.gud wrote: »
    Think that was they knock they mentioned he picked up in the Ireland camp

I hope Joe isnt following Eddie Jones' techniques .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I really hope he can make it back. We could really do with Roux's power and size against a big Toulouse pack.

I really hope he can make it back. We could really do with Roux's power and size against a big Toulouse pack.
    100% agree

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

Injury update is out, not great reading I'm afraid...

SOB back, Griffin and Parata due to get back training and fingers crossed Marmion back training. Quinn Roux picked up a concussion in training last week which I didn't know...

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/10586/#ConnachtNews
    Rory is hoping to at least get a run with the Eagles on Sunday and then away in the cup to Zebra the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Rory is hoping to at least get a run with the Eagles on Sunday and then away in the cup to Zebra the following week.

I'm dreading that Zebre game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Evil_g wrote: »
    I'm dreading that Zebre game.
    Scoreline suggests they put in a lively performance against Glasgow last weekend. I'd be very happy with the snakiest of snakey wins.

http://www.the42.ie/munster-chris-farrell-centre-next-season-3020251-Oct2016/

A clear indication that Bundee is staying put, no worries lads.

Robbo wrote: »
    Scoreline suggests they put in a lively performance against Glasgow last weekend. I'd be very happy with the snakiest of snakey wins.

Glasgow fielded a weakened team aswell. As long as we treat Zebre with some respect and not field a second string against them I wouldn't be worried

Great move for Irish rugby.
    There are a few more players knocking around in France and England that should be brought home before the provinces start fighting over project players and NIQs.

Connacht have signed Fijian international back row Naulia Dawai from Otago.

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/dawai/

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

Wrong link

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Granite Head

Sorry wrong link above;

http://www.connachtrugby.ie/dawai/#ConnachtNews

Too late pipped by CoL

2024 Gigs and Events: Jarlath Regan, Depeche Mode, Roisin Murphy, Pip Blom, Nouvelle Vogue, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, Murder Capital, Pixies, The Stranglers, Liam Gallagher & John Squires, The Jesus & Mary Chain, DJ Shadow, Cam Cole, Fight Like Apes, Somebody's Child, Kacey Musgraves, Sprints, Nadine Shah, Jane Weaver, Bob Log lll, Jimmy Carr, Beyond The Pale, LCD Sound System, Patti Smith, Night & Day Festival, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, The Beat, Muirean Bradley, All Together Now, Bonny Prince Billy, Phosphorescent, Ride, Dirt Birds, Katel Keinig, Melts, Tommy Tiernan, The Libertines, Godspeed You, Black Emperor, Melts,The Last Dinner Party, St. Vincent, Los Bitchos, Iron & Wine x2, John Grant, Therapy, Ezra Collective, Public Service Broadcasting, Fat Dog, Ezra Collective, Nick Cave, Peter Hook & The Light, Idles, Elaine Mai, MJ Lenderman, Khruangbin, Lightning Seeds, Vampire Weekend, Fontaines DC, Villagers, Confidence Man, Amble

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Didn't expect any more signings and the back row is somewhere I felt we were reasonably well stocked despite injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Did we need a backrow, or is this succession planning - Muldoon can't go on for ever, or could we be losing someone?

Nice signing a bit of competition never goes amiss imo

I didn't think we were that bare. Unless there's an injury that is worse than feared or someone leaving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

12 tries in 33 games (13 starts) sounds pretty daycent

The Archives of Pain, Week 7. My apologies for missing last week.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Tom McCartney|Hamstring|Edinburgh (H)|End of November
    Denis Buckley|Knee|Edinburgh (H)|November
    Matt Healy|Broken Hand|Edinburgh (H)|End of November
    Quinn Roux|Concussion|Training/Pre-Ulster (H)|Protocols
    Kieran Marmion|Calf|Edinburgh (H)|Training Soon
    Eoin McKeon|Chest|Ulster (H)|Soon
    Peter Robb|Hip|Training/Pre-Ulster (H)|Rehab
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy|Arm|Training - Mid-Sept|6-8 Weeks
    Ivan Soroka|Foot|AIL|Unknown
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Conor Lowndes|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Fit|November
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

Returning to Training:
    Eoin Griffin, Rory Parata
    Full Training: Sean O'Brien

That's still 18 players unavailable although I suspect McKeon is grand. Saw him last Sunday in Galway and he didn't seem in any discomfort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

"Munster currently have Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Sam Arnold, Cian Bohane, David Johnston, Colm O’Shea and Jaco Taute in their senior squad as centre options. However, All Black Saili’s contract expires next summer, while Taute and O’Shea are on short-term deals." - The42.ie

2 out and 1 in - still leaves a spot free - doubt it will be Aki, if he stays in Ireland it has to be at Connacht.

What I'm more worried about Munster need second rows more than another centre - Keep your hands off our Dillane!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

ki wrote: »
    "Munster currently have Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Sam Arnold, Cian Bohane, David Johnston, Colm O’Shea and Jaco Taute in their senior squad as centre options. However, All Black Saili’s contract expires next summer, while Taute and O’Shea are on short-term deals." - The42.ie

2 out and 1 in - still leaves a spot free - doubt it will be Aki, if he stays in Ireland it has to be at Connacht.

What I'm more worried about Munster need second rows more than another centre - Keep your hands off our Dillane!
    No.:D

ki wrote: »

I was being ever so slightly facetious ;)
    Quality signings are always good but another signing for the back row is a bit puzzling. Muldoon, SOB, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, Conolly, McKeon, Masterson are all quality players so we have every position covered twice really.

McKeon, Masterson, Fox-Matamua and Muldoon are all out of contract at the end of this year so I wonder if somebody is leaving? I'd hope not, I rate them all.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

Did we need a backrow, or is this succession planning - Muldoon can't go on for ever, or could we be losing someone?
    Muldoon is 34, and Marshall is (maybe was, hope not) probably considered as n 6 too... Wise "Naoupu style" signing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement