Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

It's mad how PunditLounge and Ruaidhri O'Connor didn't get any scoops of this lad, or indeed Cannon or Ili..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Lads I wouldn't worry too much about this signing being surplus to requirements. It looks to me like you've got a potential gem, and if it doesn't work out I imagine it didn't cost too much to get him out of the mitre 10.

Also, he could be used as a real impact sub type. Which would be quite handy to have.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

wp_rathead wrote: »
    It's mad how PunditLounge and Ruaidhri O'Connor didn't get any scoops of this lad, or indeed Cannon or Ili..
    Ruaidhri doesn't scoop he swoops.
    Pundit Arena's superdupersecretspysecretssshhhhhhhAgent (young fella in the Munster academy) was kept in the dark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,432 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Adbrowne wrote: »

A complete nothing article in fairness. Literally anyone could write and put online. Such is the scourge of clickbait sites.

Bundee may leave but I wouldn't be paying much heed to the likes of Pundit Arena or Rugby Lad anyways.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

Bazzo wrote: »
    I was being ever so slightly facetious ;)
    Quality signings are always good but another signing for the back row is a bit puzzling. Muldoon, SOB, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, Conolly, McKeon, Masterson are all quality players so we have every position covered twice really.

McKeon, Masterson, Fox-Matamua and Muldoon are all out of contract at the end of this year so I wonder if somebody is leaving? I'd hope not, I rate them all.
    more likely SOB to second row, and cover therefore required, which might suggest credence to Dillane rumours

A complete nothing article in fairness. Literally anyone could write and put online. Such is the scourge of clickbait sites.

Bundee may leave but I wouldn't be paying much heed to the likes of Pundit Arena or Rugby Lad anyways.

If he went abroad then there isn't anything you could complain about. He will be gone for money and fair play to him. Thanks very much and good luck.

If he stays in Ireland he must stay in Connacht. Munster is the only other province that would be looking for him. I just can't see why he would want to move there,or why the IRFU would let it happen.

The fact he moved his family over this summer has made me quiet optimistic. I'd say he'll give it two years and see of he can pin down a place on the Irish team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

flogthebog wrote: »
    more likely SOB to second row, and cover therefore required, which might suggest credence to Dillane rumours

I was thinking that last week when I saw him warming up (as 24th man) with his legs strapped for jumping in the lineout, unless he is normally a jumper?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

just to add that there is one significant clue to indicate bundee is staying but I'm not saying what that is on here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

typhoony wrote: »
    just to add that there is one significant clue to indicate bundee is staying but I'm not saying what that is on here
    we don't mind, as long as he stays :D

If he went abroad then there isn't anything you could complain about. He will be gone for money and fair play to him. Thanks very much and good luck.

If he stays in Ireland he must stay in Connacht. Munster is the only other province that would be looking for him. I just can't see why he would want to move there,or why the IRFU would let it happen.

The fact he moved his family over this summer has made me quiet optimistic. I'd say he'll give it two years and see of he can pin down a place on the Irish team.
    Very true. There is discussion about loyalty but loyalty is a fan based issue not a player based issue. If I were to make a point about loyalty it would be that the player provides a degree of loyalty to the team of players/coaches that got him to that place for starters. Its a balance. So I understand how fans can get upset when players ignore this.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Why would you even post this? You went to the effort of writing that you weren't going to write anything. Seriously, either say something or don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Is there anything behind the Dillane to Munster rumours I wonder? He would be a bigger loss than Aki.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there anything behind the Dillane to Munster rumours I wonder? He would be a bigger loss than Aki.

I don't know anything either way but the signing would make a lot of sense for Munster.

Nothing concrete and no he wouldn't.

molloyjh wrote: »

Why would you even post this? You went to the effort of writing that you weren't going to write anything. Seriously, either say something or don't.
    Disagree, a touch of optimism from personal pieces of information, even not developed, is well needed. FFS we are losing half of our squad since Februry, if only we can keep Aki (on a central contract to help the finances) it would be massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Why do you think he wouldn't be a greater loss than Aki? It seems to be harder for provinces to produce quality 2nd rows than quality centers. So holding on to somebody who appears to be on his way to becoming a top-notch 2nd row should be a priority.

connachta wrote: »
    Disagree, a touch of optimism from personal pieces of information, even not developed, is well needed. FFS we are losing half of our squad since Februry, if only we can keep Aki (on a central contract to help the finances) it would be massive.

Aki will absolutely, 100% not in a million years be given a central contract without ever having played for Ireland, nor should he.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. What may happen is that the IRFU use the lure of caps to help convince him to stay in Ireland. If that happens and he makes himself a 100% dead cert starter then he will probably get upgraded to a central contract. This is what happened with Payne

Why do you think he wouldn't be a greater loss than Aki? It seems to be harder for provinces to produce quality 2nd rows than quality centers. So holding on to somebody who appears to be on his way to becoming a top-notch 2nd row should be a priority.
    Disagree again, we have 3 quality 2nd row players in Connacht Academy, I'm sure one at least will be able to play in Pro12 next season. And we have Roux/Cannon/Browne/SOB/maybe Marshall.
    We have no high-quality centres. Robb/Griffin/Ronaldson are ok, but Aki loss be be far more detrimental than Dillane one.

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »

Aki will absolutely, 100% not in a million years be given a central contract without ever having played for Ireland, nor should he.

I've said this before and I'll say it again. What may happen is that the IRFU use the lure of caps to help convince him to stay in Ireland. If that happens and he makes himself a 100% dead cert starter then he will probably get upgraded to a central contract. This is what happened with Payne

the method probably will be yours but don't forget RWC is in 2019. IMO he'll be centrally contracted before 6 nations 2018, or back in N-Z/off to France before.
    No questions to be asked about him being starter. He's the best centre in Ireland and will be perfectly mature for RWC at 29 y.o. Only provincial biais can put anyone ahead of him in the picking order (tied with Henshaw at worse).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

the method probably will be yours but don't forget RWC is in 2019. IMO he'll be centrally contracted before 6 nations 2018, or back in N-Z/off to France before.
    No questions to be asked about him being starter. He's the best centre in Ireland and will be perfectly mature for RWC at 29 y.o. Only provincial biais can put anyone ahead of him in the picking order (tied with Henshaw at worse).

Sounds a bit risky to me.
    Central contacts are like gold-dust and I wouldn't bet on what the pecking-order will be in three years.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

If anyone knows of a Clan Terrace ticket going a begging for Saturday, I'd be delighted with a PM. Favours can be returned, pints etc.

review of connachts pro12 season last year now on galwaybay fm

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Sounds a bit risky to me.
    Central contacts are like gold-dust and I wouldn't bet on what the pecking-order will be in three years.

I don't think he minds where the money comes from. Connacht might be in a position to make a reasonable offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I don't think he minds where the money comes from. Connacht might be in a position to make a reasonable offer.

I meant it would be a risky bet from the IRFU's point of view.

I'd like to see more central contracts, having so few is like putting all your eggs in one basket.

Not so sure about this. The significant reduction in sports funding in the budget this year is most likely only going to make the job of retaining players harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Robbo wrote: »
    If anyone knows of a Clan Terrace ticket going a begging for Saturday, I'd be delighted with a PM. Favours can be returned, pints etc.

Robbo best place to look is on the supporters club site - Connacht clan, if there are any spares going they usually put them up there.

• Referee Luke Pearce (England)
    Thoughts?

• Advertisement

• Referee Luke Pearce (England)
    Thoughts?

He's an excellent referee. Comes from the Owens' school of being a bit of a third commentator too, which I imagine is just as useful for the players as it is for us at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭mjp

Is the match on BT or Sky red button etc? Northampton v Montpellier looks to be game on skysports 2. Thinking move of kick off from 5:30 to 5:35 was for TV???

mjp wrote: »
    Is the match on BT or Sky red button etc? Northampton v Montpellier looks to be game on skysports 2. Thinking move of kick off from 5:30 to 5:35 was for TV???

I think it's on Sky Sports 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Toulouse team for tomorrow:

Le XV de départ : Medard ; Huget, Fritz, David, Perez ; (o) Doussain, (m) Bézy ; Faasalele, Axtens, Cros ; Tekori, R. Gray ; Johnston, Tolofua, Baille.

Remplaçants : Marchand, Kakovin, Aldegheri, Maka, Lamboley, T. Gray, Flood, Fickou.

No Dusautoir or Maestri.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

cblaix wrote: »
    Toulouse team for tomorrow:

Le XV de départ : Medard ; Huget, Fritz, David, Perez ; (o) Doussain, (m) Bézy ; Faasalele, Axtens, Cros ; Tekori, R. Gray ; Johnston, Tolofua, Baille.

Remplaçants : Marchand, Kakovin, Aldegheri, Maka, Lamboley, T. Gray, Flood, Fickou.

No Dusautoir or Maestri.

Bosh, bosh, bosh!

• Advertisement

No Dusautoir or Maestri.
    Was already announced yesterday. Fickou just on the bench is the great news

Connacht team to face Toulouse, Sat 15th October, kick off 17:35, the Sportsground

15 Tiernan O Halloran (106)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun (37)
    13 Bundee Aki (46)
    12 Craig Ronaldson (52)
    11 Cian Kelleher (4)
    10 Jack Carty (59)
    9 Caolin Blade (25)

1 Finlay Bealham (62)
    2 Dave Heffernan (62)
    3 Conor Carey (2)
    4 Quinn Roux (35)
    5 Andrew Browne (145)
    6 Eoin McKeon (90)
    7 Jake Heenan (37)
    8 John Muldoon (captain) (280)

Replacements:

16 Shane Delahunt (18)
    17 Ronan Loughney (188)
    18 JP Cooney (32)
    19 Ultan Dillane (32)
    20 Sean O Brien (20)
    21 Kieran Marmion (106)
    22 Shane O Leary (19)
    23 Stacey Ili (1)

Happy enough with that team.

Big chance for Blade, Cooney and Heffernan but they were all class last week.

Very strong bench, Ili must be shaping up well in training.
    I fancy our chances!

too late :p

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

The Toulouse oozes talent, although a lot of is probably on past success. Its in the sports ground so I'd fancy Connacht.

• Advertisement

Dillane, SOB2.0 and Marmion to spring off the bench - fnck yes!!

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Dillane, SOB2.0 and Marmion to spring off the bench - fnck yes!!

if we have conceeded 30 points and 2 yellow cards because the scrum doesn't hold, it'd be worthless

if we have conceeded 30 points and 2 yellow cards because the scrum doesn't hold, it'd be worthless

I see your optimism is back connachta

I see the eagles are playing the Cornish pirates this weekend. Where will they manage to pull a team from with all the current injuries

Eagles team to play the pirates on Sunday
    15 Danie Poolman
    14 Rory Parata
    13 Stacey Ili
    12 Eoin Griffin (captain)
    11 Ed O’Keeffe
    10 Mitch Lam
    9 Stephen Kerins

1 Jason East
    2 Jack Dinneen
    3 Saba Meunargia
    4 James Cannon
    5 Danny Qualter
    6 Marc Kelly
    7 James Connolly
    8 Stephen McVeigh

REPLACEMENTS

16 Pat O’Toole
    17 Cronan Gleeson
    18 Sean Masterson
    19 Josh Pim
    20 Conor McKeon
    21 Luke Carty
    22 Jordan Conroy

Interesting to see Ili down to play both games this weekend, I assume if he sees any significant game time tomorrow he won't be around on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

is Cian Romaine injured?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

A Masterson and a Carty i assume they're younger brothers of Eoin and Jack?

Mitch lam. Pats young lad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

flogthebog wrote: »
    Mitch lam. Pats young lad?

Yeah. He's a tank though bigger than most of our starting back line in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

KBurke85 wrote: »
    A Masterson and a Carty i assume they're younger brothers of Eoin and Jack?
    Yes and as I mentioned in B&I thread. Cronan Gleeson prop on A team is from Nenagh. Played irish u/age and has played semi pro in England, France, Australia and also played Aviva A

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement