Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

I'm a huge fan of Ultan but right call to go for Quinn with his greater physicality. Great depth on that bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Any sign of the Academy prop Jamie Dever playing for the Eagles?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭TimHorton

KBurke85 wrote: »
    A Masterson and a Carty i assume they're younger brothers of Eoin and Jack?

Nepotism alive and well in the West !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

TimHorton wrote: »
    Nepotism alive and well in the West !

Guess you can't comment on Jack Carty given his performance last week so resort to a bad slag about two lads you know nothing about. Stay classy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Guess you can't comment on Jack Carty given his performance last week so resort to a bad slag about two lads you know nothing about. Stay classy!

Pretty sure that was a joke. You don't need to take everything said on the Internet 100% seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

molloyjh wrote: »
    Pretty sure that was a joke. You don't need to take everything said on the Internet 100% seriously.

The guy only comes on this thread to slag off Jack Carty, check his post history.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

wp_rathead wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    if we have conceeded 30 points and 2 yellow cards because the scrum doesn't hold, it'd be worthless

I see your optimism is back connachta
    As I said on the other dedicated thread, rain = knocks-on = too many scrums
    dry wheather = Leinster final kind of game = our backs on fire
    It seems there will be a 6 hours window between showers just for this game, so if it's proven true, I'm reasonably optimistic. You scandalmonger :P

flogthebog wrote: »
    I see the eagles are playing the Cornish pirates this weekend. Where will they manage to pull a team from with all the current injuries
    So I guess Robb s not ready yet, don t think he s 24th man (Stevenson could be). Ili will play on Sunday only if he comes in for less than 20 against Toulouse I guess, so it doesn t make sense to keep the other back (Peter) in the fridge if he is fit...

Brennan is not fit yet? Overall that s one of the strongest Eagles team I saw on the paper. Very few U20 s. Maybe for the 1st time we could expect knock-out stages, as we re able to build a very strong XV even with 15 players unavailable.

Do you know who is this East guy at LH prop, and Conroy/Pim by the way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Josh Pim is an openside who's recently out of Clongowes Wood College.
    Jordan Conroy is a tullamore lad.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Josh Pim is an openside who's recently out of Clongowes Wood College.
    Jordan Conroy is a tullamore lad.
    Ok and East, starting?
    Opinion about one or two if you have seen them playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Ok and East, starting?

Dunno much about any of them. East is from Galwegians that's all I know.

I watched a bit of Josh Pim when he played in the LSSC. A bit undersized but he stood out. Similar to Alex Penny, another openside who tried to make it down in Connacht.

I know nothing of Conroy other than the video online of him scoring a 21 second try from a kick off.

Hagz wrote: »
    Ok and East, starting?

Dunno much about any of them. East is from Galwegians that's all I know.

I watched a bit of Josh Pim when he played in the LSSC. A bit undersized but he stood out. Similar to Alex Penny, another openside who tried to make it down in Connacht.

I know nothing of Conroy other than the video online of him scoring a 21 second try from a kick off.
    thanks Hagz

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Your right about the scrum but lets be honest, when has this not been the case for Irish teams V French teams? Connacht won't beat Toulouse up front so they need to target them at the breakdown and line out, do that and they can still win.

Your right about the scrum but lets be honest, when has this not been the case for Irish teams V French teams? Connacht won't beat Toulouse up front so they need to target them at the breakdown and line out, do that and they can still win.

McGrath(Healy)/Ross(Moore) were at least in parity with any french scrum in the recent past
    So would have been Connacht with Denis Buckley. The guy I miss the most for t'morrow, far more than McCartney, Healy or Boshoff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Almost 20 minutes gone in the currie cup semi final and the Lions, Boshoffs team, are 13-0 down. Come on Cheetahs :)

• Advertisement

was about to post the same, looks like Boshoff is coming in Galway this monday :D

was about to post the same, looks like Boshoff is coming in Galway this monday :D

My stream is pretty crap but from what I can make out its all Cheetahs

b.gud wrote: »

They've refused to relaese Manitz not to play him even on the bench. I'm happy if they take a good beating

b.gud wrote: »

They've refused to relaese Manitz not to play him even on the bench. I'm happy if they take a good beating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

infairness why would they release him - just a freak injury away from being involved in the match day squad

• Advertisement

24-0 now and Lions have a player yellow carded

infairness why would they release him - just a freak injury away from being involved in the match day squad
    not fair because you don't keep a Springbok as 3rd choice in Currie Cup. Fair punishment, Cheetaahs 24 Lions nil

Game almost over and it's 36-5 to the Cheetahs.

Welcome to Galway Marnitz :)

55-17 game over, Lions out, Boshoff in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 259 ✭✭flogthebog

disappointed not to see mcginty in the 23 tonight against scarlets. is he injured?

Montpellier making a little statement against Northampton. They certainly aren't playing second fiddle to the champions cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Hope TOH and Bundee aren't badly hurt. Bundee played on but was obviously injured, he's some warrior. TOH was up and about unassisted at the end there so fingers crossed.

Can't believe we did it. So proud. Confirms we didn't win Pro12 for no reason

NB: watched until Ronaldson conversion, my nerves couldn't hold more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Brilliant win. Such heart.

Toulouse scoreless for 2nd half. Wow.

Great win but our 10 woes made that harder than it should have been with the restart out on the full costing us 3 points along with the easy penalty miss.

You can tell our players haven't confidence kicking any sort of 60:40 penalty when we always kick to the corner... left 9 points behind from kicks... Boshoff can't come quick enough.

We can't keep affording to have kicks out on the full and missing 90% of wide conversions...thank god Ronaldson was there to take that last kick.

Great start for the fanzone, result and weather wise.
    Could maybe do with adding some food/drink stands as well to make it a proper fanzone.

• Advertisement

The main leason is Craig has to take the tee. So composed despite what was at stake and Toulouse charging the kick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I have to say that all the media focus leading up to the weekend was all about Leinster, Ulster and Munster. There was hardly any mention of Connacht, the reigning pro-12 champions. Connacht are still playing great rugby with great courage and deserve more recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Great win but our 10 woes made that harder than it should have been with the restart out on the full costing us 3 points along with the easy penalty miss.

You can tell our players haven't confidence kicking any sort of 60:40 penalty when we always kick to the corner... left 9 points behind from kicks... Boshoff can't come quick enough.

We can't keep affording to have kicks out on the full and missing 90% of wide conversions...thank god Ronaldson was there to take that last kick.

Great start for the fanzone, result and weather wise.
    Could maybe do with adding some food/drink stands as well to make it a proper fanzone.

Ronaldson needs to take over kicking alright; but I thought Carty had another great game from open play and kicking from the hand. Constantly put them under pressure. Knew when to skip a pass, spread it wide, etc. Get his kicking from the tee sorted and he'd be a savage out half. It's been a few years now though so not sure if he's able to get it up to that level. Hopefully he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I have to say that all the media focus leading up to the weekend was all about Leinster, Ulster and Munster. There was hardly any mention of Connacht, the reigning pro-12 champions. Connacht are still playing great rugby with great courage and deserve more recognition.

Ah lads you don't have to keep up this type of stuff any more. There was actually plenty of mentions of Connacht in all of the mainstream rugby media outlets that I read and this is very easily verifiable by checking those websites.

There's no but in it. Relieve him from the kick-to-the-post pressure, and he would only be better in open play.
    Padkir wrote: »
    Ronald son needs to take over kicking alright; but I thought Carty had another great game from open play and kicking from the hand. Co standby put them under pressure. Knew when to skip a pass, spread it wide, etc.

Connacht Eagles 2:30
    Strong team, if someone can get down to the Sportsground again and give us an extended summary, it would be great.
    Focus on Poolman/Ili who might play in Parma next week if TOH needs a rest. And newcomer Cannon:)

I actually think Carty is a fine player, it just his kicking from the tee is average at best, give Ronaldson kicking duties and Connacht should be fine.

There's no but in it. Relieve him from the kick-to-the-post pressure, and he would only be better in open play.
    Padkir wrote: »
    Ronald son needs to take over kicking alright; but I thought Carty had another great game from open play and kicking from the hand. Co standby put them under pressure. Knew when to skip a pass, spread it wide, etc.
    I actually think Carty is a fine player, it just his kicking from the tee is average at best, give Ronaldson kicking duties and Connacht should be fine.
    That's what I said, didn't I? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Ah lads you don't have to keep up this type of stuff any more. There was actually plenty of mentions of Connacht in all of the mainstream rugby media outlets that I read and this is very easily verifiable by checking those websites.
    And nobody complains about the huge TG4 bias towards Connacht. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Carty certainly can bolt it through gaps and generally is as solid a back in defence as we have (very early on even he made serious yards for a cleanup job). Always preferred Ronaldson on the tee but obviously they still trusted Jack up until that last kick.

SOBII was some bull when he came on. Stevenson was also pretty solid in comparison to what he's produced. Hope he can keep on the upward because with our injuries he's going to be a regular in the team. Can never have too many forwards.

Tobias Flood was also very classy post-match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Carty certainly can bolt it through gaps and generally is as solid a back in defence as we have (very early on even he made serious yards for a cleanup job). Always preferred Ronaldson on the tee but obviously they still trusted Jack up until that last kick.

SOBII was some bull when he came on. Stevenson was also pretty solid in comparison to what he's produced. Hope he can keep on the upward because with our injuries he's going to be a regular in the team. Can never have too many forwards.

Tobias Flood was also very classy post-match.

Flood is a player that could suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mysticmick

Great game, now for some great Sunday (hungover) news! Word is Ultan has re-signed, not heresay, fact. Will be announced in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Marc O Polo

Yes agree about Toby Flood! Was very gracious in defeat and did make an interesting point about the fans on the pitch after, that the fans don't fully realise how good a team Connacht are and that before the match the bookies had it quite close! That they shouldn't be surprised to see them truly compete at this level. Although seeing the first 10 mins I'm sure they would of changed there tone!
    Also thought it was carty's best game in a Connacht jersey, played flatter and attacked the line more, defended admirably with those monsters running down his throat (half due to Heenan doing brilliantly to get across and cover his fly half). And fair dues to Ronaldson on that kick! For a guy that has been out for 6/7 months and just back from a torn quad in his kicking leg with little or no practice!!
    You just have to admire the rugby Connacht are playing because looking at them it's not the Heineken cup they should be competing in but Super Rugby down under!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

100% this. Take the chip off your shoulders lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Turned away at half time and watched Saints and Montpellier. Gutted really because it seems it really shook up in the second half.

Toulouse were there to bully Connacht with pure bulk....... And it didn't work.

Perfect!

Oh the record. Somebody change it......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

mysticmick wrote: »
    Great game, now for some great Sunday (hungover) news! Word is Ultan has re-signed, not heresay, fact. Will be announced in the coming weeks.

As if I wasn't happy enough today! :D EDIT: Just for clarity, I posted this before I heard the very sad news about Axel Foley.

Can we please, please just let Ronaldson kick now? Carty is a good player when you're not worrying about him missing shots at goal from right in front of the posts, and Ronaldson is an accurate and nerveless kicker, seems simple to me?

Even though I'm absolutely delighted with the result from yesterday couple minor points to work on before Leinster:

1. Tackles! We need to start making our tackles!

2. Stop standing off offensive rucks for no reason. I get that not overcommiting to the breakdown is part of the gameplan but sticking to the plan doesn't do us much good if a ruck is so poorly protected an opposition forward can just waltz through the middle and turn over possession.

3. Support runners. A few times yesterday our backs got isolated after making a line break. We've been really good at getting quick support for an offload or offensive clearout up until now, need to keep that up.

Don't mean to sound like a whiner, I reall am happy. Just trying to keep grounded before the Leinster match.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

Just saw the terrible news coming through on sky about axel Foley. Very sad RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

seems irrelevant considering the news about Foley but Poolman and Stacey not playing today for Eagles.
    Luke Carty comes in at FB, Jordan Conroy in at 14 and Parata moves to 13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

mysticmick wrote: »

I don't care if this is true or not.
    I just liked reading it.

seems irrelevant considering the news about Foley but Poolman and Stacey not playing today for Eagles.
    Luke Carty comes in at FB, Jordan Conroy in at 14 and Parata moves to 13
    Expected. Probably means Kelleher FB, Ili winger and Poolman 23 against Zebre...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement