Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ya I say he has gotten approval to play - he was allowed play against Scarlets last season before start of 6 Nations..
    If he is then fair enough

I'm more worried about sitting in the North Stand - starting to get PTSD thinking about last year's conditions

That was the coldest I've ever been at a game, even with coffee and the hip flask. Thinking of buying a waterproof sleeping bag and a drysuit for this year... :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

rewatching toulouse game- that skip pass from Carty to Tiernan for his try was a thing of beauty
    Apart from the now weekly dead ball glitch (this time from a restart), Carty had another great match imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

rewatching toulouse game- that skip pass from Carty to Tiernan for his try was a thing of beauty
    Apart from the now weekly dead ball glitch (this time from a restart), Carty had another great match imo

Is it on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭GalwayMagpie

b.gud wrote: »
    So apparently Jack Carty was the 2nd best performing outhalf in the Champions cup at the weekend

Yeah, there are games when he players quite well as a #10, but this gets unfairly overshadowed by a few missed kicks. At times these missed kicks affected is play but, fortunately this appears to be less and less frequent. His upper body and his tackling have become much stronger lately. It might be time to give some of the place kicking to Ronaldson or Boshoff .

Is it on YouTube?

Go to 2:11 for his skip pass

EDIT: oh did you mean the whole game, iv it recorded on sky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Whole game is on youtube, don't know if I'm allowed to put links here, but just write "connacht" and use filters period "last week" and lenght "long"

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mysticmick

fatgav wrote: »
    mysticmick wrote: »
    Great game, now for some great Sunday (hungover) news! Word is Ultan has re-signed, not heresay, fact. Will be announced in the coming weeks.

This backs up a very positive rumour I've heard about Ultan and also Bundee
    FYI It's a 2 year deal and isn't a central contract. Will we be able to take *unnamed poster* transfer gossip seriously any more once this comes out publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

FYI It's a 2 year deal and isn't a central contract. Will we be able to take *unnamed poster* transfer gossip seriously any more once this comes out publicly?

Are you one of those Welsh trolls from the Planet Rugby forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mysticmick

Evil_g wrote: »

Are you one of those Welsh trolls from the Planet Rugby forum?
    Genuine fan, genuine information.

I want to believe you..... But then I realise that this is exactly what I would do if I was a Welsh troll.

Time will tell I suppose. Wouldn't expect anything to be announce this week or next anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

I want to believe you..... But then I realise that this is exactly what I would do if I was a Welsh troll.

Time will tell I suppose. Wouldn't expect anything to be announce this week or next anyway.

I've heard something along the same lines too. No idea about length or anything like that but it's been signed by all accounts.

Redo91 wrote: »

I've heard something along the same lines too. No idea about length or anything like that but it's been signed by all accounts.
    Both Bundee and Ultan? Would really mean Connacht forced the door into a new era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

connachta wrote: »
    Both Bundee and Ultan? Would really mean Connacht forced the door into a new era

I've only heard about Ultan. No idea what the situation is with Bundee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

we should have a moratorium on conjecture and rumours, instead we should bask in the what bundee and ultan did for last season and enjoy watcting then play for us now and for the next year, my one and only comment on this topic is that bundee will firstly do whats best for him and his family and secondly he will do whatever is best for him to play in a RWC, which means that a move to England or France is highly unlikely

typhoony wrote: »
    we should have a moratorium on conjecture and rumours, instead we should bask in the what bundee and ultan did for last season and enjoy watcting then play for us now and for the next year, my one and only comment on this topic is that bundee will firstly do whats best for him and his family and secondly he will do whatever is best for him to play in a RWC, which means that a move to England or France is highly unlikely
    yeah you mean he's back in N-Z. Hope not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

yeah you mean he's back in N-Z. Hope not

not neccessarily

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Genuine boards member too with 3 posts.....

we won't know until spring anyway, as the last announcement last week is stil about this season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Accusations of trolling will be dealt with infractions and/or bans

My first scolding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

typhoony wrote: »

This is a thread for exactly that - team talk, rumours and conjecture. It used to be in the thread title.

If he wants to play in a RWC he either stays in Ireland or goes home. He's not qualified for England or France, he would have to spend another 3 years there. If his priority is money, we will have to break the bank to match offers from Eng/Fra. If his priority is test rugby, you wouldn't blame him for going home if he's offered the chance there. I'd say it's 50:50 he stays or goes... the fact his family have moved here is a good sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He could also declare for Samoa and go wherever he likes, but he probably wants to play for the best international team possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Is it on YouTube?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

In my opinion I think Bundee is seeing what his family think of the lifestyle and community before putting pen to paper. From what I've heard he has enrolled his daughter in school over here so the signs look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

In my opinion I think Bundee is seeing what his family think of the lifestyle and community before putting pen to paper. From what I've heard he has enrolled his daughter in school over here so the signs look good.
    It may also depend on what Pat Lam does. Not sure when Lam's current contract runs out, but if he were to return to NZ, Aki may well be a player he'd want to come with him.

Edit: Lam's contract runs out in Summer 2018. That would have Aki being Irish qualified if he left then.

It may also depend on what Pat Lam does. Not sure when Lam's current contract runs out, but if he were to return to NZ, Aki may well be a player he'd want to come with him.

Pat is contracted to the Summer of 2018, so I think it might be the other way around. If we could somehow hold onto the likes of Bundee and Ultan, we might have a chance of holding onto Pat after his contract runs out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I can't see Aki going back to NZ, he'd be taking a massive pay cut to do so.

Lam will sign one more year and take the Irish selection just after RWC 2019:D

squad update to come in the next minutes? Nothing yesterday, usually on Tuesday...

• Advertisement

The lure of playing for the All Blacks has to outweigh any pay cut though. If that's on the cards of course.

The lure of playing for the All Blacks has to outweigh any pay cut though. If that's on the cards of course.
    he is 99% of a starter with Ireland. Would always struggle far more with N-Z, and could end his career like so many frustated players with 1 to 10 minor caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Before the whole Ultan staying/going discourse I would have been more confident of Bundee staying than Ultan.

Of the players who left last year Robbie was not really part of the Connacht squad before December last year with the world cup and all that came with it, he spent the previous couple of months working closely with the Leinster internationals and that had to have influenced him.

Muldowney, Naoupou, McGinty etc were clearly disappointed to be leaving but didn't really have any option.

The squad, past and present, are clearly a close unit looking at their social media interactions and that cannot be overemphasised. We are pro12 champions, looking good for qualification from our Champions Cup group and are playing exciting rugby that is resulting in universal praise and international call ups. I cannot think of anywhere these players would enjoy themselves more.

If we can't keep players now we never will.
    We have retained some serious calibre of players already.
    Money isn't the be all and end all, but having said that we now probably have more than we ever had before.

If anyone is living near Bundee would ye bring them over an apple tart and make sure the wife and kids make friends with his crowd too.
    I think that's the most impactful thing any of us could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

he is 99% of a starter with Ireland.

He really isn't and that's down to the quality of Irish centers from Ireland right now and coming through.

its_phil wrote: »
    He really isn't and that's down to the quality of Irish centers from Ireland right now and coming through.

I'm a big fan of Ringrose, Payne, Marshall, Olding, Henshaw etc but I think Bundi walks onto the Ireland team at the moment. He was outrageously good at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

.....looking good for qualification from our Champions Cup group....

There's very little to argue with on that post except for this. It is very early to be claiming something like that. If you can win all your home games then yes you would be looking good, but Wasps are in outstanding form at the moment so there is no guarantee you'll win in Galway against them. Sure you'll get 10 from Zebre, but that only helps if you can secure a top 2 finish in the pool. You only just edged out Toulouse by 2 points so it could very well come down to tries scored or PD to decide that pool. You need to be cheering on Wasps on Saturday in a big way. A win for them in Toulouse will certainly be a big boost. But a home win puts pressure on I reckon.

• Advertisement

molloyjh;101394827
    You need to be cheering on Wasps on Saturday in a big way.
    We are all well aware of that.

I think Wasps are going to demolish Toulouse at the weekend.
    We should have had a 5-0 over them on Saturday, we gave them too much respect in the last 15 minutes.
    Toulouse will have no interest in the last round and will be under a pressure to perform in the Top14.
    Given this and with important players for our scrum returning I fancy a win for us out there

The biggest threat to us is probably the Zebre away game this weekend. We might have the away fixture at the wrong time.
    Wasps to run away with the group.
    Connacht to secure a second place qualification spot.
    Bundee to renew for two years.
    At least one of Quinn Roux and Ultan to also renew for two years.
    One happy sailor. ;)

I'm a big fan of Ringrose, Payne, Marshall, Olding, Henshaw etc but I think Bundi walks onto the Ireland team at the moment. He was outrageously good at the weekend.
    thank you

thank you
    You gave the game away there Bundee :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

molloyjh;101394827

We are all well aware of that.

I think Wasps are going to demolish Toulouse at the weekend.
    We should have had a 5-0 over them on Saturday, we gave them too much respect in the last 15 minutes.
    Toulouse will have no interest in the last round and will be under a pressure to perform in the Top14.
    Given this and with important players for our scrum returning I fancy a win for us out there

The biggest threat to us is probably the Zebre away game this weekend. We might have the away fixture at the wrong time.
    Wasps to run away with the group.
    Connacht to secure a second place qualification spot.
    Bundee to renew for two years.
    At least one of Quinn Roux and Ultan to also renew for two years.
    One happy sailor. ;)

I think you're being very optimistic there. If Wasps can do a number on both you and Toulouse then you might struggle to get a 2nd team from that pool even if you come second.

Take Connachts fixtures up to the last round for example:
    1. Toulouse (H): 4pts
    2. Zebre (A): 5pts
    3. Wasps (A): 0pts
    4. Wasps (H): 1pt
    5. Zebre (H): 5pts

That's 15 points with an away game in Toulouse to come. A win would put you guys on 19 points which should get you into the QFs (but even that's not guaranteed - Ulster were 1 poor performance in Oyonnax away from being a 4th team on 19 or more last season).

Now look at Toulouse:
    1. Connacht (A): 1pt
    2. Wasps (H): 1pt
    3. Zebre (A): 5pts
    4. Zebre (H): 5pt
    5. Wasps (A): 0pts

That's 12 points. In that situation they may not be able to qualify for the QFs even if they beat you with the TBP, but they aren't likely to lay down at home either. And who knows how the other pools are going to pan out either. It's possible that 17 could be enough. However should they beat Wasps at the weekend they could be on 15 as well, meaning that last game would be another knock-out game.

To say Connacht look good to make the QFs is very premature. The fixtures look to have fallen nicely for them and they have a great opportunity, but right now that's all it is. There are far too many variables at this early stage to make it anything more.

This sort of talk always makes me uncomfortable. Let's get over this weekend first.

• Advertisement

I just booked a hotel for Edinburgh in May, I'm not getting caught like I did last year.

You realise the bit I had about "looking good for qualification" was not the point of that post at all.
    It was about player retention which I think we should be relatively successful given a wide range of variables.
    One variable being we have a live chance of progressing to knock out Champions Cup Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Love Bundee and a huge fan, but I'm 99% certain that he's not a million miles ahead of young players with huge ceilings in Henshaw, Ringrose and Olding.

All three of those guys can be as Bundee another year down the track and not much at all between Aki, Henshaw, and Payne right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Love Bundee and a huge fan, but I'm 99% certain that he's not a million miles ahead of young players with huge ceilings in Henshaw, Ringrose and Olding.

All three of those guys can be as Bundee another year down the track and not much at all between Aki, Henshaw, and Payne right now.
    Bundee's on a different level to any other centre in Ireland. Henshaw is probably the best current irish option and he was very much second fiddle to Bundee last season with us. Class act.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The biggest threat to us is probably the Zebre away game this weekend.

It really, really isn't.

The biggest threat to us is probably the Zebre away game this weekend.

It really, really isn't.
    It is if you take as given, the things I said I was taking as given.
    i.e All of the Wasps and Toulouse games were covered. Then that leaves the Zebre and Connacht games; the away one would be a greater threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

PP has us 14.5 point favourites for the game against Zebre
    7ZMdaST.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Not sure if this was posted already but Boshoff is set to arrive in Galway at the end of the week for a Medical.
    TOH (Knee) and Griffin (Concussion) will miss this weekend's game.

Probably controversial, but would it be worth resting Aki for this one? He has played a lot this season already and taken some big whalops to his "coconut head"
    Keep same backline but Parata 13 and Kelleher to FB and either Poolman or Ili 11?

Im sure SOB2.0 will start - he was brilliant when he came on

Probably controversial, but would it be worth resting Aki for this one? He has played a lot this season already and taken some big whalops to his "coconut head"
    Keep same backline but Parata 13 and Kelleher to FB and either Poolman or Ili 11?

Im sure SOB2.0 will start - he was brilliant when he came on
    I don't know about resting anybody as the group could come down to points scored difference so the more class we have the better.

b.gud wrote: »
    PP has us 14.5 point favourites for the game against Zebre

Paddy Power also still had us at twice the odds of Toulouse to finish second in the group yesterday (not available at the moment for some reason), so I say take it one game at a time.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement