Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

They'll have to take this game seriously. Twice in the last few months we've had a number done on us by an Italian team we expected to hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

The second you don't take the Italian teams seriously is when they beat you. Also they target Connacht over other teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Ah nothing about not taking them seriously
    Same pack vs Toulouse bar O'Brien in for McKeon
    Same backline bar start Marmion, move Kelleher FB to cover TOH and start either Poolman and Ili, and have Parata at 13

That side is more than capable of getting a TBP Win.

Only reason thinking leaving Bundee out is because has taken bangs to the head vs Ulster and then vs Toulouse, and he is going to be playing against Leinster and Dragons- so this probably best opportunity

That said there is a break coming up so maybe not needed

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Archives of Pain, Week 8. New information in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Eoin Griffin|Concussion|Eagles -v- Pirates|Protcols
    Tiernan O'Halloran|Knee|Toulouse (H)|Unknown
    Tom McCartney|Hamstring|Edinburgh (H)|End of November
    Denis Buckley|Knee|Edinburgh (H)|November
    Matt Healy|Broken Hand|Edinburgh (H)|End of November
    Peter Robb|Hip|Training/Pre-Ulster (H)|Rehab
    Dominic Robertson-McCoy|Arm|Training - Mid-Sept|6-8 Weeks
    Ivan Soroka|Foot|AIL|Unknown
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|Mid-Late October
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Nepia Fox-Matamua|Hamstring|Glasgow (H)|November
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    John Cooney|Shoulder|Glorious Pro12 Final|Partial Training
    Marnitz Boshoff|SA|Currently Packing Bags|Friday 21/10/2016
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

Lowdnes and Parata both played for the Eagles last weekend. Roux should be regarded as available but I'd imagine Boshoff will be given a few sessions to settle in. Therefore I'm counting 16 players unavailable which is as low as it's been this season, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

When will Connacht confirm that Marshall is retiring?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ah nothing about not taking them seriously
    Same pack vs Toulouse bar O'Brien in for McKeon
    Same backline bar start Marmion, move Kelleher FB to cover TOH and start either Poolman and Ili, and have Parata at 13

That side is more than capable of getting a TBP Win.

Only reason thinking leaving Bundee out is because has taken bangs to the head vs Ulster and then vs Toulouse, and he is going to be playing against Leinster and Dragons- so this probably best opportunity

That said there is a break coming up so maybe not needed

Actually scrap this - more I think about it, no point busting our balls to make Champions Cup to then rest our best player in one of the games

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Connacht have 2 games where they need to play there best team, then after that throw someone like Robb in until another important game comes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Probably controversial, but would it be worth resting Aki for this one? He has played a lot this season already and taken some big whalops to his "coconut head"
    Keep same backline but Parata 13 and Kelleher to FB and either Poolman or Ili 11?

Im sure SOB2.0 will start - he was brilliant when he came on
    Marmion + Poolman in, Cian moved to FB that's enough change for the backline; keep going with our functioning centre pairing.
    But I'll be more controversial than you are, our pack will be stable, and having watched Toulouse game again, McKeon was unseen worker but great one. Why not having both him and SOB at n 8, and give Muldoon a little rest on the bench (he played every single minutes this season AFAIK)???

If your going to rest players I'd rest them against Leinster but not Zebre for a lot of reasons but mostly my own bias.

• Advertisement

If your going to rest players I'd rest them against Leinster but not Zebre for a lot of reasons but mostly my own bias.
    Agree HCUP is the main competition now we failed in September and delivered against Toulouse
    But SOB would bring as much stamina as tired Muldoon.

I DO think Quinn will play now, look at his determination on the 5 pics of him taken today

INPHO_01119177.jpg
    May even take the kicking duties from Carty:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Wouldn't call Europe the main competition at all. Obviously a few disappointing results at the start of the Pro12 but we have already made up some ground with 5 points v Ulster at home as opposed to one last season. Still contenders for top4 imo.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Wouldn't call Europe the main competition at all. Obviously a few disappointing results at the start of the Pro12 but we have already made up some ground with 5 points v Ulster at home as opposed to one last season. Still contenders for top4 imo.
    Sadly no. Table split in 2, and would remain. Ospreys Cardiff and Glasgow impressive, the 3 provinces should be ahead too. in the meantime, Knock-out stages ChampionsCup would be a milestone in Connacht history and an insurance for the futur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

connachta wrote: »
    I fix it by myself but thanks :)
    I DO think Quinn will play now, look at his determination on the 5 pics of him taken today

INPHO_01119177.jpg
    You're still having problems with the images. Take the =486x553 out of the above and it shoukld be fine.

I fix it by myself but thanks :)

INPHO_01119177.jpg
    You're still having problems with the images. Take the =486x553 out of the above and it shoukld be fine.
    what is the problem?

• Advertisement

Think it may be a boards issue. The picture shows fine on mobile but not on the normal site.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Think it may be a boards issue. The picture shows fine on mobile but not on the normal site.
    I'm on the site and it's all-right.. Maybe the opposite?

Sadly no. Table split in 2, and would remain. Ospreys Cardiff and Glasgow impressive, the 3 provinces should be ahead too. in the meantime, Knock-out stages ChampionsCup would be a milestone in Connacht history and an insurance for the futur

Connacht have 17 games left, if they get 5 points from the rescheduled game in Zebre, they will be four points of Munster and seven off the top. Defending champions aren't gonna give up their title in October because they had three bad games in September and mad to suggest they should.

I'm on the site and it's all-right.. Maybe the opposite?

It may be an issue between the new & old site then. I'm using the old touch site on my mobile where it's working fine but it doesn't load for the old desktop site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

You think Munster, Ospreys and Cardiff are all ahead of us in the pecking order?!?!

• Advertisement

Writing off the league this early in the season is madness. Didn't Glasgow have a very poor start last year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Haven't 4 of Connachts 5 completed games been at home? Will be a tough one to pull back but definitely not out of it yet

Writing off the league this early in the season is madness. Didn't Glasgow have a very poor start last year?

Yep, to be fair they had 20+ players in Scotland RWC squad but we had some excuses too, with nearly that many injured and pre season shambles.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Haven't 4 of Connachts 5 completed games been at home? Will be a tough one to pull back
    all is said

goals :

1) Champions Cup NOW, trying to be better than we were 3 weeks ago against Zebre. It's a better team than it was before, despite Wasps hamering, they did well for most of their games home against Glasgow and Scarlets
    2) Champions Cup double-header with Wasps. Lam has to focus ANYONE in the squad for December, including Boshoff, Fox, McCartney, Healy, Buckley, Masterson, McCoy, Dawai, Cooney who should be re-integrated in a way they reach their "peak" in form for those two games
    3) and only 3) trying to grab 7th place or (unlikely) 6th
    I know this opinion will be in severe minority, but I really defend it without provocation

We qualified for the "Big European competition" to play it 110%, not to think about qualifying for the next one, and so on. French clubs do that. Silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

72faf985d5d2137105c4befe5e0383f4.jpg

After the beginning of the season a lot of fans could be in shock and worrying about the season. but Listening to the craggy island podcast they were saying were only down 5 points on the results last year. Were still in a good position and with a game in hand against Zebre of all teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

all is said

goals :

1) Champions Cup NOW, trying to be better than we were 3 weeks ago against Zebre. It's a better team than it was before, despite Wasps hamering, they did well for most of their games home against Glasgow and Scarlets
    2) Champions Cup double-header with Wasps. Lam has to focus ANYONE in the squad for December, including Boshoff, Fox, McCartney, Healy, Buckley, Masterson, McCoy, Dawai, Cooney who should be re-integrated in a way they reach their "peak" in form for those two games
    3) and only 3) trying to grab 7th place or (unlikely) 6th
    I know this opinion will be in severe minority, but I really defend it without provocation

We qualified for the "Big European competition" to play it 110%, not to think about qualifying for the next one, and so on. French clubs do that. Silly

WTF. How is sixth unlikely after 5 games?

Please don't explain or I might throw my laptop out the window.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah Connacht should be aiming for a top 6 finish, a top 4 finish would be amazing, but top 6 should be the goal.

11 wins is usually the lowest to get 6th but can be as high as 13.

With the following still to play
    2X Zebre
    2x Treviso
    2x Dragons
    1x Edinburgh

plus the 2 won already that could put them on 9 wins.

Then if you want a top 6 finish picking up another 2 or 3 wins against the other teams is what's needed, and is do able too.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Yeah Connacht should be aiming for a top 6 finish, a top 4 finish would be amazing, but top 6 should be the goal.

11 wins is usually the lowest to get 6th but can be as high as 13.

With the following still to play
    2X Zebre
    2x Treviso
    2x Dragons
    1x Edinburgh

plus the 2 won already that could put them on 9 wins.

Then if you want a top 6 finish picking up another 2 or 3 wins against the other teams is what's needed, and is do able too.

Now it's phil can throw his laptop; good analysis why Top6 is the only reasonable aim, not top 4. And still unlikely, I think, we have to be 100% against weaker teams (winning in Rodney Parade is never a sure bet) + 3 wins against who?
    Anyway I am allowed to prefer focusing ChampionsCup as we made a good start. My personal choice

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

In the past few pages we've had:

Connacht are "looking good for qualification" from Champions Cup game after one home win where we conceded a losing bonus to our French opponents.

and

Top six in the league is "unlikely", after 5 games, even though if we win our game in hand against Zebre, we're seventh.

Outstanding work lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyway.....

Lam is hopeful that Tiernan will be fit for Leinster and his son Mitch came over as a favour as they were looking light on 10s with Craig injured and Marnitz not available until after the Currie cup. Source

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyway.....

Lam is hopeful that Tiernan will be fit for Leinster and his son Mitch came over as a favour as they were looking light on 10s with Craig injured and Marnitz not available until after the Currie cup. Source

Saw Mitch for the first time in game for the eagles, fairly decent with ball in hand his kicking wasn't the best ( that's more a technique thing though seemed to just be lashing at the ball) but definitely a good player.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Looking at the injury list, and with Bealham, Dillane, Marmion and possibly Niyi & Roux away with Ireland Connacht will be down nearly as many players as Leinster will be.

Evil_g wrote: »
    In the past few pages we've had:

Connacht are "looking good for qualification" from Champions Cup game after one home win where we conceded a losing bonus to our French opponents.

and

Top six in the league is "unlikely", after 5 games, even though if we win our game in hand against Zebre, we're seventh.

Outstanding work lads.
    yeah my prediction is we have more chance for the 1st one than the 2nd one. I admit it's a prediction

Adbrowne wrote: »

Looking at the injury list, and with Bealham, Dillane, Marmion and possibly Niyi & Roux away with Ireland Connacht will be down nearly as many players as Leinster will be.
    yaeh big worry for a long time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I don't think that it is a simple binary decision with regards to what's more important; Europe Vs Pro12.
    Europe should is more important on a season by season basis, but that assumes a bare minimum standard of qualifying for it each year, which requires us to get into and consistently stay in the top half of the table..

yeah my prediction is we have more chance for the 1st one than the 2nd one. I admit it's a prediction

It's not really a prediction though. A prediction will eventually be proved correct or incorrect. You've given a vague assessment of the relative probability of two events, both of which may occur :P

This time last year you were advocating Bradley era targeting of games too.

Thankfully Pat will continue to do what he's always done (with the possible exception of away Challenge cup group stages), pick the strongest team available and go to win every game.

That's my prediction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jaysus lads, it's a bit early to be prioritising one tournament over another.

Two more games, one of which is against Zebre, then a nice break for the internationals. Be grand.

Now it's phil can throw his laptop; good analysis why Top6 is the only reasonable aim, not top 4. And still unlikely, I think, we have to be 100% against weaker teams (winning in Rodney Parade is never a sure bet) + 3 wins against who?
    Anyway I am allowed to prefer focusing ChampionsCup as we made a good start. My personal choice

Zebre x2
    Treviso x2
    Cardiff x2
    Dragons x2
    Scarlets H
    Edinburgh A

Are all winnable games IMO. We should also be aiming to win our remaining 2 home inter pros, We've nothing to fear from Leinster or Munster in the sportsground the last few years. We did the double on Ospreys last year so there's no reason we couldn't beat them away again either.

The league is our bread & butter, writing it off 5 games in to the season when we're 2/5 with a win against Ulster for the first time in 4 years and losses against Glasgow and Ospreys at home and Scarlets away is utterly mental.

• Advertisement

Zebre x2
    Treviso x2
    Cardiff x2
    Dragons x2
    Scarlets H
    Edinburgh A

Cardiff away? Let me laugh. Ref never let us win there. They are better this season too
    Vague prediction as you said :
    1) Connacht likely fighting for 7th, maybe 6th
    2) If Wasps win in Toulouse, and we win Zebre away + Wasps home , I think we're through QF

2) If Wasps win in Toulouse, and we win Zebre away + Wasps home , I think we're through QF

That's not a prediction! :D

You've basically said that if Toulouse have nothing to play for in the last game and if Connacht can qualify by getting a result, Connacht will probably beat Toulouse.

That's not a prediction! :D

You've basically said that if Toulouse have nothing to play for in the last game and if Connacht can qualify by getting a result, Connacht will probably beat Toulouse.
    That's exactly that! :D

If Ireland are leading by 8 points in the 79th minute they'll probably beat New Zealand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

If Ireland are leading by 8 points in the 79th minute they'll probably beat New Zealand.

We still probably wouldn't to be fair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Cardiff away? Let me laugh. Ref never let us win there.

I had honestly hoped that, with the vast improvements in Connacht's play, this sort of thing was consigned to history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I had honestly hoped that, with the vast improvements in Connacht's play, this sort of thing was consigned to history.

It is for the vast, vast majority of people

Cardiff away? Let me laugh. Ref never let us win there. They are better this season too
    Vague prediction as you said :
    1) Connacht likely fighting for 7th, maybe 6th

I was typing the mother of all rants against this bit there really isn't a point.

Refs against Connacht is so ridiculous at this stage if you believe it please go to the conspiracy theory thread.

If Connacht from this point replicate last year's results were 3rd in the table a slow start doesn't make a season.

If my aunt has balls she'd be my uncle

*This is the towned down version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You said top 6 was unlikely, now you're saying it's reasonable. Flip flopping like Donald Trump...

Zzippy wrote: »

You said top 6 was unlikely, now you're saying it's reasonable. Flip flopping like Donald Trump...
    No I'm still saying unlikely, fighting for qualification (7th or unlikely 6th) is possible. Not my priority.
    Ref aren't against Connacht, except in Cardiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

No I'm still saying unlikely, fighting for qualification (7th or unlikely 6th) is possible. Not my priority.
    Ref aren't against Connacht, except in Cardiff
    So no matter who the ref is, if its a match in Cardiff then they are against Connacht?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement