Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Junkie's junkie's bastard defence from Conn on both those clips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bazzo wrote: »
    No, you can see in the clip that it's O'Halloran.

The losing of the game last night wasn't any individual mistakes like that though, both of their tries came from a set piece that wasn't even pretending to function.

Being brutally honest I don't think Cannon and Stevenson were great signings. We needed a second row who would be pushing for a starting spot. An experienced guy who can run a lineout and preferably one with soft hands to act as our playmaker in the forwards. We got two guys who so far seem to be fighting it out between themselves for 4th and 5th choice.

Buckley has excellent hands, is a top scrummager and is probably our best player at turning the ball over so it'll be big getting him back in the side. Bealham and McCartney are both quite a bit better than their counterparts in the team at the minute too.

Seems like instead of going out and replacing Muldowney properly, we tried to do it on the cheap with Stevenson. Realised he wasn't very good and had to go out again and recruit Cannon. Now in fairness the hands of management may have been tied financially but Muldowney was arguably our most important player after Bundee and he was never replaced properly. Especially considering that Dillane will be on regular Ireland duty from now on. Maybe Cannon can still be a success though? Has only just arrived to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Did Cannon actually play bad?

Look we have to remember who was on the field
    4 players just out of Academies and probably considered 3rd choices in September
    6 players loaned/unused/released by their ex-club (Leinster, Ulster, Munster, Wasps)
    exhausted Captain who played 600 minutes within two months at nearly 34 y.o
    contested fly-half (If not Boshoff wouldn't have been signed)
    two ex club-rugby wingers
    2 puppy props and a converted baby scrumhalf on the bench
    No disrespect, they actually did the job as much we can expect (a BP)

But what matters is who's gonna be back to help them for Wasps
    a turnover and scrum machine LH
    a lineout stabilizer
    international TH, SH and Lock who faces All-Black tonight + a Springbok
    Dawai and SOB, ball carriers that will lighten the pressure in case of rush defence
    Ronaldson simply the main pivot point of our game
    And maybe Healy, Cooney, Matamua, Poolman, and Masterson if you're still not happy enough
    They have by far the ability to beat Wasps, it is just about Lam to help the process to succeed

Well guys, I guess it was worth it to lose Dillane, Marmion and Bealham....;)

Forever one the the first Connacht guys to have defeated All-Blacks:angel:INPHO_01126496.jpg

Legend CwiLUMIXEAAjb_h.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

1237139.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

The last few seasons (at least), we seem to have been really really 'unlucky' with injuries...... But surely it can't just be bad luck with the number of medium/long-term injuries we rack up?

Is there a question to be asked about our S&C/physio practices and general player preparation/welfare? Or am I just clutching at straws with the current situation?.....

macslash wrote: »
    1237139.jpg

Not to be outdone by Jack McGrath, Ultan accepts a Pigeon from an adoring fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

macslash wrote: »
    1237139.jpg

If you didn't know who he was you'd swear he was a fan that snuck onto the pitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

Not sure there is an easy answer to this one. Of all the injuries in the squad, only the few hamstrings could be considered (possibly) avoidable.

In the glory days at the end of last season, I remember thinking the S&C team were the real unsung heroes of the entire Connacht team - week on week the team were able to maintain a higher tempo than anyone else in the league, which does not happen by accident.

More worrying than the soft tissue injuries is the high incidence of concussions in the group, which has caused the early retirement of at least three players. No easy answer here, either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

tobdom wrote: »
    The last few seasons (at least), we seem to have been really really 'unlucky' with injuries...... But surely it can't just be bad luck with the number of medium/long-term injuries we rack up?

Is there a question to be asked about our S&C/physio practices and general player preparation/welfare? Or am I just clutching at straws with the current situation?.....

It is just bad luck most injuries happen on field then throw in concussion and the rightful holding players of the pitch if they are showing any signs of ill effects just makes for a longer injury list.

The biggest issue is the reliance on one or two players. Connacht need a ball playing forward and a second 12 that has the skillet of a 10. And the players that are injured at the moment are the ones with that responsibility. Buckley, Browne and Ronaldson all the systems, structures, and processes can't make up for the incoming player just not being as effective as the injured player

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I think the fact that we have a relatively small squad only exacerbates the issue of injuries in two ways. One we don't have strength in depth so injuries in certain positions are keenly felt and secondly that we don't have the same facility of other teams to rest players which in turn can lead to players being at a higher risk of injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Tiernan and Niyi have been added to the Irish Squad for the game with Canada

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

tobdom wrote: »

This article actually seems to answer my question, I guess it just is bad luck and lack of depth (though our depth at the moment is better than it has been probably ever before)....

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/connacht-rugby/lams-systembased-coaching-key-to-connacht-success-35191216.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

TFW you randomly remember that Bundee Aki and Ultan Dillane signed 3 and 2 year contract extensions, respectively.

x0lz_f-maxage-0.gif

Niyi on the bench, Finlay, Kieran and Ultan to start.
    Probably closest to provincial parity Irish team ever seen!

Niyi on the bench, Finlay, Kieran and Ultan to start.
    Probably closest to provincial parity Irish team ever seen!

sorry double post
    Happy about this:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

TOH is also starting :p

TOH is also starting :p
    Oh FFS THAT IS REAL PARITY! IT'S HAPPENING GUYS :)
    First time ever for the official Irish team (even if it's an "A+" game)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Out new Flanker starts at 6 for Fiji against Babas

Barbarians:
    15 Melani Nanai (Blues), 14 Matt Faddes (Highlanders), 13 Tommy Bowe (Ulster & Ireland), 12 Richard Buckman (Highlanders/Panasonic), 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs/Panasonic & Australia), 10 Robert du Preez (Stormers), 9 Andy Ellis (Crusaders/Kobelco & New Zealand) (c); 1 Reggie Goodes (Hurricanes), 2 Akker van der Merwe (Lions), 3 Ben Franks (London Irish & New Zealand), 4 Michael Fatialofa (Hurricanes), 5 Sam Carter (Brumbies & Australia), 6 Brad Shields (Hurricanes), 7 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), 8 Luke Whitelock (Highlanders & New Zealand).

Replacements:
    16 Andrew Ready (Reds), 17 Toby Smith (Rebels & Australia), 18 Paddy Ryan (Waratahs & Australia), 19 Martin Muller (Lions), 20 Ruan Ackermann (Lions), 21 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), 22 Richard Mo'unga (Crusaders), 23 Luke Morahan (Force & Australia).

Fiji:
    15 Benito Masilevu, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Asaeli Tikorotuma, 12 Albert Vulivuli, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 Ben Volavola, 9 Serupepeli Vularika; 1 Campese Ma'afu, 2 Jale Sassen, 3 Manasa Saulo, 4 Api Ratuniyawara, 5 Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 6 Naulia Dawani , 7 Mosese Voka, 8 Akapusi Qera (c).

Replacements:
    16 Sunia Koto, 17 Joeli Veitayaki, 18 Leeroy Atalifo, 19 Nemia Soqeta, 20 Eremasi Radrodro, 21 Nemia Kenatale, 22 Metuisela Talebula, 23 Vatemo Ravouvou

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭macslash

Lads, a good pub in Dublin to watch a rugby/Connacht game?

I'll be there instead of Galway on the 17th December for the Wasps game. Somewhere that would do food too preferably. Ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,227 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Most/Any of the pubs on Baggot Street will show the match. As for my preferred one I'll say Doheny & Nesbitt, also on Baggot ST.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Out new Flanker starts at 6 for Fiji against Babas

Barbarians:
    15 Melani Nanai (Blues), 14 Matt Faddes (Highlanders), 13 Tommy Bowe (Ulster & Ireland), 12 Richard Buckman (Highlanders/Panasonic), 11 Taqele Naiyaravoro (Waratahs/Panasonic & Australia), 10 Robert du Preez (Stormers), 9 Andy Ellis (Crusaders/Kobelco & New Zealand) (c); 1 Reggie Goodes (Hurricanes), 2 Akker van der Merwe (Lions), 3 Ben Franks (London Irish & New Zealand), 4 Michael Fatialofa (Hurricanes), 5 Sam Carter (Brumbies & Australia), 6 Brad Shields (Hurricanes), 7 Jordan Taufua (Crusaders), 8 Luke Whitelock (Highlanders & New Zealand).

Replacements:
    16 Andrew Ready (Reds), 17 Toby Smith (Rebels & Australia), 18 Paddy Ryan (Waratahs & Australia), 19 Martin Muller (Lions), 20 Ruan Ackermann (Lions), 21 Ruan Pienaar (Ulster & South Africa), 22 Richard Mo'unga (Crusaders), 23 Luke Morahan (Force & Australia).

Fiji:
    15 Benito Masilevu, 14 Waisea Nayacalevu, 13 Asaeli Tikorotuma, 12 Albert Vulivuli, 11 Nemani Nadolo, 10 Ben Volavola, 9 Serupepeli Vularika; 1 Campese Ma'afu, 2 Jale Sassen, 3 Manasa Saulo, 4 Api Ratuniyawara, 5 Dominiko Waqaniburotu, 6 Naulia Dawani , 7 Mosese Voka, 8 Akapusi Qera (c).

Replacements:
    16 Sunia Koto, 17 Joeli Veitayaki, 18 Leeroy Atalifo, 19 Nemia Soqeta, 20 Eremasi Radrodro, 21 Nemia Kenatale, 22 Metuisela Talebula, 23 Vatemo Ravouvou

oooh... plenty of tickets available, might pop along...

• Advertisement

Match is on Sky Sports at 19:30 if anyone wants to check out how he does. Will try and see it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

How did Dawani play lads?

Match isn't till half seven! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Playing tonight

Oops, misread b.gud's comment and thought the game was on now :o

• Advertisement

Oops, misread b.gud's comment and thought the game was on now :o

Added a time to the post to make it clearer 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Gleesons in Booterstown does good food and is a rugby pub. It's a bit out of the city though. The pubs in Donnybrook area like Kielys would be a decent shout

can't say ive been too impressed with Dawani in the opening 30mins

Can't say I'm too impressed with Fiji as a whole. Baabaa's hooker looks savage though...

Rain not unlike the RDS last new year, thank feck its not as cold.

Does seem to like his big hits though, some savage tackles, including at least one high one he was lucky to get away with.

Very silly website playing silly buggers...

5 Connacht players tonight :D

Healy posted about his recovery on twitter
    but what about :
    1) Buckley and McCartney to stabilize setpieces
    2) Ronaldson and his concussion
    3) News of Ben Marshall?
    4) Brownie and his ankle, in theory 4 to 8 weeks, so Champions Cup games will be tight schedule
    5) Boshoff and Dawai (played in Belfast yesterday) training progresssion

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

No didn't show much but Fiji were very poor.

Cracker of a night for the Connacht lads tonight. Great to see the lads bringing in half of the tries.

• Advertisement

EVERBODY TO RWC 2019!!!

I see that the RWC 2023 promo video has been revealed: https://twitter.com/IrishRugby/status/798495527264321537 along with the venues being announced:
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxTQO1oWgAAkZr2.jpg
    Anyone know why they're using Pearse Stadium and not the SG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Sportsground is too small.

Sportsground is too small.

I guess that's the obvious answer. Was the whole stadium move/SG rebuild/ whatever supposed to be a part of this? I thought I read that somewhere over the summer...

Sportsground never part of the RWC bid AFAIK
    The proposed redevelopment/new stadium would only be 9,000-11,000 so never really part of the plans

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I guess that's the obvious answer. Was the whole stadium move/SG rebuild/ whatever supposed to be a part of this? I thought I read that somewhere over the summer...

It would be like building a white elephant. Sportsground potential capacity is only 10k

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

There's a sad irony that Galway hurling are currently campaigning to Gaa headquarters for home games in a stadium empty for most of the year, while at the same time Connacht are in desperate need of a new rugby stadium and are looking at solutions. Just to add a bit of spice the IRFU need Pearse stadium for the Rugby World Cup bid. We'll host World Cup games in Galway and have no infrastural legacy. All in a city with a population of 80,000 people. So we'll be revamping a Gaa stadium for temporary rugby use that the gaa team hardly ever use. Such a waste.

Raisins wrote: »
    There's a sad irony that Galway hurling are currently campaigning to Gaa headquarters for home games in a stadium empty for most of the year, while at the same time Connacht are in desperate need of a new rugby stadium and are looking at solutions. Just to add a bit of spice the IRFU need Pearse stadium for the Rugby World Cup bid. We'll host World Cup games in Galway and have no infrastural legacy. All in a city with a population of 80,000 people. So we'll be revamping a Gaa stadium for temporary rugby use that the gaa team hardly ever use. Such a waste.

This has been discussed ad nauseum here.

Connacht rugby are being fairly realistic in their plans for a new stadium, something around the 10k mark with the potential to add additional seating for bigger games, interpros, European games etc.

For their bid the smallest capacity stadium used is 17k. If Connacht built something of this size then we would be left with huge debt and have a stadium that is half empty most of the time and severely lacking in atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

I wonder would it open the door for Pearse stadium maybe being used for bigger games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

b.gud wrote: »
    This has been discussed ad nauseum here.

Connacht rugby are being fairly realistic in their plans for a new stadium, something around the 10k mark with the potential to add additional seating for bigger games, interpros, European games etc.

For their bid the smallest capacity stadium used is 17k. If Connacht built something of this size then we would be left with huge debt and have a stadium that is half empty most of the time and severely lacking in atmosphere.

I raised the point because timing wise Galway hurling threatened to leave the Leinster championship this week at the very same time the World Cup bid was entered. It's ironic given all the while Connacht have no solution to a serious problem.

Nice to post in a group, I rarely if ever post in, as a Connacht fan, and get such an unnecessarily withering, patronising, response. Particularly when it's accompanied by a counter argument to a point I never made. I never suggested Connacht build a massive stadium. Cheers though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement