Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Without wanting to go around in circles about the talk over redevelopment move to pearse etc. at the moment the only GAA ground that's approved for rugby games to be played there is Croke Park. So even presuming Connacht wanted to go to Pearse (which I personally hope never happens) they would need GAA central council to vote on it.

Connacht just need to continue the plan of upgrading the sportsground to a capacity circa 10000 that we can currently realistically fill for big games. We don't need a thomand park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

Raisins wrote: »
    There's a sad irony that Galway hurling are currently campaigning to Gaa headquarters for home games in a stadium empty for most of the year, while at the same time Connacht are in desperate need of a new rugby stadium and are looking at solutions. Just to add a bit of spice the IRFU need Pearse stadium for the Rugby World Cup bid. We'll host World Cup games in Galway and have no infrastural legacy. All in a city with a population of 80,000 people. So we'll be revamping a Gaa stadium for temporary rugby use that the gaa team hardly ever use. Such a waste.

Pearse stadium is used nearly every week of the year. The Galway hurlers aren't the only team that play there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

blackhound wrote: »
    Without wanting to go around in circles about the talk over redevelopment move to pearse etc. at the moment the only GAA ground that's approved for rugby games to be played there is Croke Park. So even presuming Connacht wanted to go to Pearse (which I personally hope never happens) they would need GAA central council to vote on it.

Connacht just need to continue the plan of upgrading the sportsground to a capacity circa 10000 that we can currently realistically fill for big games. We don't need a thomand park.
    I agree with you, Connacht building a nice small-ish ground for normal use us the most sensible idea.

But I also think you could compliment this by having the option of using a bigger stadium for big matches. It'd be a sensible way of serving those big events without having a huge financial weight to bear.

There's one issue people seem to keep overlooking for staying in the Sportsground.

Three sides of the pitch offer little to no shelter.
    Both ends will never provide shelter as long as there is greyhound racing there.

Considering the weather in Galway, you're talking about a situation where you really need to pre sell out games as floating fans won't decide to go up to a match to stand outside in the lashing rain on those plentiful days we get.

Considering the games are a good run in to a night out, the last thing you want to do is have to wear wet gear or go home to change at 9-10pm.

Thats a big issue with the Sportsground IMO, very little cover for 90% of the crowd, it's not a great selling point if you're looking to have a few drinks and head into town after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Great interview with pat lam on SOR this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Great interview with pat lam on SOR this morning

Any link to it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Mitch Lam has signed a short term deal with Nottingham
    http://www.nottinghamrugby.co.uk/fly-half-added-as-greens-host-trailfinders/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Any link to it ?

Not sure if it's on the website but you can get it on the app, 32 mins in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

we got Garces as ref for the home wasps game, not so bad as he quite often favors the home team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

typhoony wrote: »
    we got Garces as ref for the home wasps game, not so bad as he quite often favors the home team

More importantly, he is bloody brilliant referee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Everyone make sure to do a few good deeds today so we get some karmic payback with the injury update tomorrow.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Everyone make sure to do a few good deeds today so we get some karmic payback with the injury update tomorrow.

We're all like this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

#prayfordenisbuckley

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Is that a coathanger in his shorts or is he just happy to be back?

It's on like Donkey Kong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

In the words of Miley, "well Holy god", that's some seriously good news!

Time to get back on track!

Full update http://www.connachtrugby.ie/squad-update-ahead-of-cardiff-blues-game-3/#ConnachtNews

Ahead of Friday’s Guinness PRO12 round 9 game at home to Cardiff Blues, the Connacht Rugby medical team have provided the following update.

Tom McCartney, Denis Buckley, Ronan Loughney, Sean O’Brien, Nepia Fox Matamua, John Cooney and Matt Healy have all returned to full training and will be monitored closely ahead of team selection.

Injury Update

Ivan Soroka (foot) is continuing his rehabilitation under the supervision of the medical and fitness team and is due to return to play in mid-January.

Andrew Browne (ankle) sustained an injury in the game v Dragons two weeks ago. He has undergone surgery and is due to return to play in February.

Rory Molony (concussion) sustained an injury in a club game and is following the graduated return-to-play protocols.

Eoghan Masterson (knee) is progressing well in his rehabilitation with the medical and fitness staff and is due to be available for selection towards end of December.

Shane O’Leary (concussion) sustained an injury in training last week and is following the graduated return-to-play protocols.

Eoin Griffin (chest) sustained an injury in a club game two weeks ago and is continuing his rehabilitation under the supervision of the medical and fitness team.

Josh Rowland (ankle) is progressing well with his rehabilitation and is due for a return to play in January 2017.

Darragh Leader (hand) continues his recovery from surgery on his hand injury and will return in February 2017.

• Advertisement

Browne out until February is a big loss.

Might not be the most popular of opinions but I wouldn't mind seeing Qualter getting another shot at 5 when there is a stronger team around him. When he played in the 1st few games of the season there were a few glimpses of him starting to get to grips with the pivot role but the team as a whole were playing badly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The Archives of Pain, Week 11. New information in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Andrew Browne|Ankle-Surgery|Dragons (A)|February
    Rory Moloney|Concussion|AIL|Protocols
    Shane O'Leary|Concussion|Training|Protocols
    Eoin Griffin|Chest|AIL (Early November)|Unknown
    Naulia Dawai|Currently Fit||End of International Window?
    Ivan Soroka|Foot|AIL|Mid January
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|January
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February
    Ciaran Gaffney|Unknown|Unknown|Unknown

I make that 11 players unavailable along with the lads who are with the Ireland Squad.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Adbrowne

Joe Launchbury cited for a kick to the head of a fijian on saturday. Likely to be 3-4 week ban. could miss both ERCC ties

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

Any mention of Craig Ronaldson?
    Replaced (concussed?) against Leinster.
    He is becoming progressively more important to the team

Any mention of Craig Ronaldson?
    Replaced (concussed?) against Leinster.
    He is becoming progressively more important to the team

Presume he's available. He doesn't have any real history of concussion that I'm aware of so it'd be unusual for him to not be recovered after a month out.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

Its getting very worrying that nothing has yet to be mentioned on Ben Marshall, retirement confirmation looks imminent.

Launchbury gets 2 week ban will be available for the back to back games

Its getting very worrying that nothing has yet to be mentioned on Ben Marshall, retirement confirmation looks imminent.

I'm sure he'd love to know randomers on the internet are posting classless speculation about him being forced to retire. Whether true or not, he may be going through a tough time. Posts like that are really ignorant.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I'm sure he'd love to know randomers on the internet are posting classless speculation about him being forced to retire. Whether true or not, he may be going through a tough time. Posts like that are really ignorant.

Every player who has been out injured without a return date this season has eventually had to confirm there retirement. At this rate we could make a starting XV of the number of players that have had to retire this season.

I hope he doesn't but this is looking very very very ominous, ors Ben have a history of concusion do you or any other Connacht/Leinster fan's know?

• Advertisement

Every player who has been out injured without a return date this season has eventually had to confirm there retirement. At this rate we could make a starting XV of the number of players that have had to retire this season.

I hope he doesn't but this is looking very very very ominous, ors Ben have a history of concusion do you or any other Connacht/Leinster fan's know?

I take it back. Not just classless, severely ignorant too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

I'd try

Buck
    McC
    Carey
    Roux
    Cannon
    SOB (covering for lock)
    Heenan
    Muldoon
    Cooney
    Carty
    Ronaldson
    Aki
    Healy
    Ili
    Kelleher

Loughney
    Heffernan
    J.P
    McKeon
    Fox
    Blade
    Boshoff
    Parata

I'd flip your half backs and since I reckon Niyi will be released back to use I'd make room for him on the bench. Also I don't see Pat going with 2 back rows on the bench, other than that it's about what I'd expect

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Pyramid up the Ferrero Rocher and put out the good china...we're honoured with the presence of Nigel Owens on Friday.

b.gud wrote: »
    I'd flip your half backs and since I reckon Niyi will be released back to use I'd make room for him on the bench. Also I don't see Pat going with 2 back rows on the bench, other than that it's about what I'd expect
    You should be right about Niyi, only played 15 minutes without travelling in America, maybe starting over Ili, then.
    Disagree about half-backs would be damageing for Carty who improved lately, and undeserved for Boshoff not to earn the starting n 10 from the bench. Except if 1) he's been amazing in traning 2) Ronaldson isn't available to kick

connachta wrote: »
    You should be right about Niyi, only played 15 minutes without travelling in America, maybe starting over Ili, then.
    Disagree about half-backs would be damageing for Carty who improved lately, and undeserved for Boshoff not to earn the starting n 10 from the bench. Except if 1) he's been amazing in traning 2) Ronaldson isn't available to kick

Get your point on Carty, but in theory Boshoff is supposed to be a serious step up from Carty which is the reason that we signed him, so what is the point of signing him, and presumabley paying him a big chunk of money if we're now worried that he might damage Carty.

And if that's your thinking for keeping Carty I don't get why you want to bring Cooney in over Blade who I think has played quite well in the last few games

• Advertisement

I'll go with:

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Carey
    4. Cannon
    5. Roux
    6. O'Brien
    7. Heenan
    8. Muldoon

9. Blade
    10. Carty
    11. Healy
    12. Ronaldson
    13. Aki
    14. Adeolokun
    15. Kelleher

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. JP Cooney
    19. Stevenson
    20. McKeon
    21. Cooney
    22. Boshoff
    23. Ili

I have a feeling O'Halloran will be involved with Ireland but if not either Ili or Healy makes room for him.

A back three of Healy, Adeolokun, Kelleher would be something to see though :D

About Blade, I tend to agree with Ouncer (Yes I do sometimes). He tend to often make the useless side-step before the pass, room for improvement IMO, and time for Cooney to shine

b.gud;101744205
    And if that's your thinking for keeping Carty I don't get why you want to bring Cooney in over Blade who I think has played quite well in the last few games

I'll go with:

1. Buckley
    2. McCartney
    3. Carey
    4. Cannon
    5. Roux
    6. O'Brien
    7. Heenan
    8. Muldoon

9. Blade
    10. Carty
    11. Healy
    12. Ronaldson
    13. Aki
    14. Adeolokun
    15. Kelleher

16. Heffernan
    17. Loughney
    18. JP Cooney
    19. Stevenson
    20. McKeon
    21. Cooney
    22. Boshoff
    23. Ili

I have a feeling O'Halloran will be involved with Ireland but if not either Ili or Healy makes room for him.

A back three of Healy, Adeolokun, Kelleher would be something to see though :D
    yes we agree except Stevenson and Blade ahead of Nepia and Cooney. I know my team is audacious, but both players, even coming back from injury, would bring more IMO. I'm not worried to have SOB starting 6 and finishing the game as n5.

Zzippy wrote: »
    I take it back. Not just classless, severely ignorant too.

Your some knowitall aren't you, you've been proven wrong so i'd suggest you walk away.

Your some knowitall aren't you, you've been proven wrong so i'd suggest you walk away.

tumblr_ljh0puClWT1qfkt17.gif

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

If he hits his previous form the back row starts getting very crowded. Muldoon will have a real scrap for a place. Good problems to have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Attack the post not the poster.

Keep this up and you'll be attacking nothing.

I'd take Carty straight out to be honest.

His place kicking has hardly went from being unacceptable to proficient in the last few weeks alone.

I honestly don't care what he does from open play when missing easy kicks is a weekly occurrence.
    We're constantly forced to kick to the corner when he's playing as it's clear they've no faith in him to try anything difficult.

He also seems to put a restart, kick from hand out on the full or miss touch with a penalty weekly.

He's been doing well enough in open play but he's just missing too many of those fundamentals which are often the difference between winning and losing a close game(Toulouse got 3 points from a scrum after one of his wayward restarts).
    He'll be an adequate second choice alright but he doesn't cut it at the basics for a team who see themselves above the bottom teams the the P12.

I'd take Carty straight out to be honest.

His place kicking has hardly went from being unacceptable to proficient in the last few weeks alone.

I honestly don't care what he does from open play when missing easy kicks is a weekly occurrence.
    We're constantly forced to kick to the corner when he's playing as it's clear they've no faith in him to try anything difficult.

He also seems to put a restart, kick from hand out on the full or miss touch with a penalty weekly.

He's been doing well enough in open play but he's just missing too many of those fundamentals which are often the difference between winning and losing a close game(Toulouse got 3 points from a scrum after one of his wayward restarts).
    He'll be an adequate second choice alright but he doesn't cut it at the basics for a team who see themselves above the bottom teams the the P12.

With Ronaldson at 12 none of that is an issue though. I'm not saying Boshoff won't be first choice as the season progresses but for his first game with us I think having him come off the bench is prudent.

.ak wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster.

Keep this up and you'll be attacking nothing.

This individual wrote quite an insulting comment about me will he get a warning? course not because he is a moderator and is above the law. If this person doesn't want to be attack i'd suggest he walks away.

With Ronaldson at 12 none of that is an issue though. I'm not saying Boshoff won't be first choice as the season progresses but for his first game with us I think having him come off the bench is prudent.

And what if we lose a close game by less than 3 points after Jack misses an easy kick or similar?.

Going back to the Toulouse game, the restart cost us three points.
    He also missed a kick I'd have nailed myself and we were exceptionally lucky that they somehow did the exact same thing otherwise we could have been talking about "another heartache of a loss".

Considering our position at the minute and how easy we're conceding I honestly wouldn't bother geling him in as we need to go on a serious run and can't be letting teams off the hook with missed conversions and penalties. Turning momentum can be as easy as nailing a few kicks, missing them can suck the life out of a team.

Anyway you're course of action will probably be the chosen one, so I just hope he's able to come into games and transition without too much being left to "what if".

And what if we lose a close game by less than 3 points after Jack misses an easy kick or similar?.

Going back to the Toulouse game, the restart cost us three points.
    He also missed a kick I'd have nailed myself and we were exceptionally lucky that they somehow did the exact same thing otherwise we could have been talking about "another heartache of a loss".

Considering our position at the minute and how easy we're conceding I honestly wouldn't bother geling him in as we need to go on a serious run and can't be letting teams off the hook with missed conversions and penalties. Turning momentum can be as easy as nailing a few kicks, missing them can suck the life out of a team.

Anyway you're course of action will probably be the chosen one, so I just hope he's able to come into games and transition without too much being left to "what if".

Well if we lose a close game by 3 points and Ronaldson is kicking I don't see what it'll have to do with Carty. I'm not suggesting Carty takes any kicks, I said if Ronaldson is at 12 his place kicking is not an issue.

Well if we lose a close game by 3 points and Ronaldson is kicking I don't see what it'll have to do with Carty. I'm not suggesting Carty takes any kicks, I said if Ronaldson is at 12 his place kicking is not an issue.

I was talking about a scenario where Ronaldson wasn't playing.

It is his fault if he kicks out on the full on a restart or in open play or fluffs a crossfield kick. If those result in a scrum that gets penalised it was him who created the situation. I'm not saying he is crap but Boshoff is an international capped 10 for SA and is streets ahead of Carthy. He has had over a month of training under his belt with the team and should start. Pat mentioned he will play his strongest team so in my opinion that means Boshoff at 10.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement