Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'd take Carty straight out to be honest.

His place kicking has hardly went from being unacceptable to proficient in the last few weeks alone.

I honestly don't care what he does from open play when missing easy kicks is a weekly occurrence.
    We're constantly forced to kick to the corner when he's playing as it's clear they've no faith in him to try anything difficult.

He also seems to put a restart, kick from hand out on the full or miss touch with a penalty weekly.

He's been doing well enough in open play but he's just missing too many of those fundamentals which are often the difference between winning and losing a close game(Toulouse got 3 points from a scrum after one of his wayward restarts).
    He'll be an adequate second choice alright but he doesn't cut it at the basics for a team who see themselves above the bottom teams the the P12.

With Ronaldson at 12 none of that is an issue though. I'm not saying Boshoff won't be first choice as the season progresses but for his first game with us I think having him come off the bench is prudent.
    Thank you you words are mine there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    It is his fault if he kicks out on the full on a restart or in open play or fluffs a crossfield kick. If those result in a scrum that gets penalised it was him who created the situation. I'm not saying he is crap but Boshoff is an international capped 10 for SA and is streets ahead of Carthy. He has had over a month of training under his belt with the team and should start. Pat mentioned he will play his strongest team so in my opinion that means Boshoff at 10.

if Ronaldson is fit Id have no problem startin Carty, but if it Robb 12 then I'd go with Boshoff 10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    It is his fault if he kicks out on the full on a restart or in open play or fluffs a crossfield kick. If those result in a scrum that gets penalised it was him who created the situation. I'm not saying he is crap but Boshoff is an international capped 10 for SA and is streets ahead of Carthy. He has had over a month of training under his belt with the team and should start. Pat mentioned he will play his strongest team so in my opinion that means Boshoff at 10.

I don't think his kicking from hand is all that bad. In fact it's been getting steadily better over the last year or two where I'd say it's mostly quite good now. He is prone to the occassional ****up on the restart but we've also seen that just recently with Madigan, O'Leary, Jackson and even Sexton so he's far from alone there. I agree with wp_rathead, if Ronaldson is on the pitch to take shots at goal there's absolutely nothing wrong with Carty starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

This individual wrote quite an insulting comment about me will he get a warning? course not because he is a moderator and is above the law. If this person doesn't want to be attack i'd suggest he walks away.

Do not argue with mods on thread. Infracted.

.ak wrote: »
    Attack the post not the poster.

Keep this up and you'll be attacking nothing.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Cathalthesmart

.ak wrote: »
    Do not argue with mods on thread. Infracted.

I rest my case.

Lam about Manitz
    "He is ready to go, knows the boys and knows the plays but he needs to get out and play a game too".
    So I guess the controversy I started tend to be decided in favour of "Boshoff should start right now" camp
    Despite the points made about Carty improving in open play and in-field kicks, with Ronaldson for the posts

BTW I'd keep the tee attached with Craig even if Manitz plays. He's magnificent and cope with pressure very well. Boshoff has monster kick, should just take the 40M+ pen attempts

I've been waiting for too long. Now I'm ready to destroy you
    D.Buckley

INPHO_01133481.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

connachta wrote: »
    D.Buckley

553x339

Sheesh connachta, get the picture right

INPHO_01133481.jpg

• Advertisement

D.Buckley

[]

Sheesh connachta, get the picture right

INPHO_01133481.jpg
    It worked for me on my computer...

We've been down this road before... it's something to do with the new site vs the legacy one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We've been down this road before... it's something to do with the new site vs the legacy one.
    Tell you who could sort that out, Denis Buckley.

Ruined my effect anyway :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

I rest my case.

Well you can rest it for a week.

Banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Frank Murphy reffing his first Pro12 game this weekend - Dragons v Edinburgh. Is he affiliated to Connacht or Munster these days i.e. could one or the other ever get him for a game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's with the Munster branch. It's feasible that he could get a Connacht game against Ulster or Leinster.

Buer wrote: »
    He's with the Munster branch. It's feasible that he could get a Connacht game against Ulster or Leinster.
    What? No Clancy to imagine a Leinster grounding in th RDS? A Connacht bias instead?
    All will change, change utterly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What? No Clancy to imagine a Leinster grounding in th RDS? A Connacht bias instead?

I'm sure some of you fine western folk will find something to complain about with him. We all find a way to be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

You know Clancy is from Munster, right?

Buer wrote: »

You know Clancy is from Munster, right?
    And?
    Murphy, even attached officially to Munster has spent a lot of time in Galway
    At least he will not ref the game by thinking "why on hell those little Westies don't let the Big team win quietly?"
    Whatever, Bridge93 is right, Murphy would try to compensate his suspicious Connacht past and I won't be happy either.
    And I don't think Pro12 management is stupid enough to let him ref Connacht anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

And?
    At least he will not ref the game by thinking "why on hell those little Westies don't let the Big team win quietly?"
    Whatever, Bridge93 is right, Murphy would try to compensate his suspicious Connacht past and I won't be happy either.
    And I don't think Pro12 management is stupid enough to let him ref Connacht anyway

Nailed it.

And?

Nailed it.
    Yeah I was saying Bridge was right
    But please don't pretend I'm never happy. I've nothing to "moan about":angry: when Connacht is ref by Mitrea or Owens (this Week-end :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

What's the story with Heenan? Was he just not in the Irish conversation yet or has he picked up another knock?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    What's the story with Heenan? Was he just not in the Irish conversation yet or has he picked up another knock?

He's fine, the national team just has more flankers than they need right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

I'd say the fact that he picked up a cut that kept him out of the start of the season meant that he didn't have a good run of games to make an impression on Joe.

With VDF and Leavy performing so well during the AIs he'll have a hell of a battle to get into the squad, not saying he can't do it, but it certainly won't be easy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Zzippy wrote: »
    Frank Murphy reffing his first Pro12 game this weekend - Dragons v Edinburgh. Is he affiliated to Connacht or Munster these days i.e. could one or the other ever get him for a game?
    Never been affiliated to Connacht as a referee. Always been with MAR. Going to workshops etc in Cork.
    No knock and nowhere near irish conversation yet..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭testtech05

Lad's am stuck in Dublin Friday night and missing the game. Any suggestions for somewhere close to city centre to watvh Connacht? I know Leinster are on at the same time but hoping to find some westerner friendly bar!! ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

testtech05 wrote: »
    Lad's am stuck in Dublin Friday night and missing the game. Any suggestions for somewhere close to city centre to watvh Connacht? I know Leinster are on at the same time but hoping to find some westerner friendly bar!! ðŸ˜႒

think the Leinster game is only on BBC Wales so probably won't be on too many places anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Try on the clan forum and see if the clan have a place where regulars based in Dublin go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Sinnotts tends to show multiple matches so might be a good bar to chance.

• Advertisement

So at least future after Muldoon for n 6/8 is prepared (let's give John a mythic 300th cap though!)
    1) Masterson finally back
    2) Heenan moved to n 6 (I remember one interpro he played there, can't find out for sure which it was, but I'm dying to see it again, with Fox openside)
    3) Dawai hanging around in Europe with Fidjis
    4) Galwegians No.8 , Josh Pim was reported as having "had a fine game for the visitors and appears to have a very promising career ahead."
    5) Eoin McKeon, don't forget about him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

So at least future after Muldoon for n 6/8 is prepared (let's give John a mythic 300th cap though!)
    2) Heenan moved to n 6 (I remember one interpro he played there, can't find out for sure which it was, but I'm dying to see it again, with Fox openside)
    4) Galwegians No.8 , Josh Pim was reported as having "had a fine game for the visitors and appears to have a very promising career ahead."

Sean O'Brien?

wp_rathead wrote: »

Sean O'Brien?
    God, I know I was forgetting someone important.
    Not an innocent miss though, as we have 5 very decent blindside/n 8 (+ Muldoon) I'm starting to wonder if we would have better balance to send him back to 2nd row.
    I know I've said he's too small, but our solutions here aren't up to it, or constantly injured, or regularly unavailable (Dillane)

Don't see why we'd move Heenan unless himself and Fox-Matamua are playing so well they absolutely demand selection. We have loads of back rows but the position we're lightest at is 7.

Muldoon 6/8
    McKeon 6/8
    Masterson 8
    Connolly 6/7
    Fox-Matamua 7
    Dawai 6(8?)
    O'Brien 6
    Heenan 7

Maybe O'Brien could also cover 8 but he hasn't played there yet has he?

Don't see why we'd move Heenan unless himself and Fox-Matamua are playing so well they absolutely demand selection.
    That's exactly my prediction. IMO they are our best products in the backrow with Masterson.

I counted Connolly mostly as a 7, but he's one more element to encourage Lam to put SOB at lock. We're stuck by quality in back-row, not at all for n 5.

Next season it should be, order respected

4) Dillane, Roux, Cannon
    5) Browne, SOB, Romaine/ex U20
    6) Dawai, Heenan, SOB, McKeon
    7) Heenan, Fox, Connolly
    8) Masterson, McKeon, Pim
    [font=Verdana","sans-serif]Muldoon to cover as player/coach[/font]

That's exactly my prediction. IMO they are our best products in the backrow with Masterson.

I counted Connolly mostly as a 7, but he's one more element to encourage Lam to put SOB at lock. We're stuck by quality in back-row, not at all for n 5.

Didn't Connolly mostly play 6 before last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Let's maybe see Dawai play in green before we install him as first choice ahead of a bunch of guys we won the league with.

Also Muldoon is consistently one of our best players. He's 33 not 45, he'll be here next season and guys are going to need to improve to overtake him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Next season it should be, order respected

6) Dawai, Heenan, SOB, McKeon

[font=Verdana","sans-serif]Muldoon to cover as player/coach[/font]

Dawai can do a few bits before replacing Muldoon and SOB.

Hasn't even played yet FFS. I hate this ranking s****.

• Advertisement

Friday 25th November, kick off 19:35, the Sportsground

(Connacht caps in brackets)

15 Cian Kelleher (8)
    14 Niyi Adeolokun (41)
    13 Bundee Aki (49)
    12 Craig Ronaldson (55)
    11 Stacey Ili (5)
    10 Jack Carty (63)
    9 John Cooney (26)

1 Denis Buckley (99)
    2 Tom McCartney (47)
    3 Conor Carey (6)
    4 Quinn Roux (38)
    5 James Cannon (2)
    6 Eoin McKeon (94)
    7 Jake Heenan (41)
    8 John Muldoon (captain) (284)

Replacements:

16 Dave Heffernan (66)
    17 Ronan Loughney (189)
    18 JP Cooney (36)
    19 Lewis Stevenson (6)
    20 Nepia Fox-Matamua (9)
    21 Caolin Blade (29)
    22 Marnitz Boshoff (0)
    23 Danie Poolman (73)

Injured: Ivan Soroka, Conan O’Donnell, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, Eoghan Masterson, Rory Moloney, Shane O’Leary, Eoin Griffin, Josh Rowland, Darragh Leader.

Ireland squad: Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Kieran Marmion, Tiernan O’Halloran.

b.gud wrote: »
    Injured: Ivan Soroka, Conan O’Donnell, Ben Marshall, Andrew Browne, Eoghan Masterson, Rory Moloney, Shane O’Leary, Eoin Griffin, Josh Rowland, Darragh Leader.

Ireland squad: Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Kieran Marmion, Tiernan O’Halloran.

That is a nice short injured list, let's keep it that way

I'm a little surprised Cooney is starting after 6 months off but they obviously trust his fitness. Healy will have to work his way back in to the 23 looks like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I'm a little surprised Cooney is starting after 6 months off but they obviously trust his fitness. Healy will have to work his way back in to the 23 looks like.

Healy must not be 100%.
    Ili has been good but he is not better,
    Poolman was clearly way down the pecking order before Healy got injured.

(Maybe Healy is a springer for the Irish team this weekend :woot::woot::silly:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Welcome home, Sir Daniel of Poolman.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

I really hope Poolman can stay fit for awhile very reliable player and usually has a good try return as well. The more depth and competition we have the better. Great to see Buckley hit the ton and to see Cooney back as well, Blade has been good but I really rate Cooney.

• Advertisement

Well for once I was damn-right about Cooney and Carty ahead of Boshoff/Blade

Nice to see Poolman here, he's playing for a new contract right now, before Healy/TOH/Leader come back

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Yeah he probably is playing for a contract but he does cover a few positions and also has a bit more physicality than our other wing options I think.

Same here, though it could also be a case of better to start the person returning from injury as you have more control over how long they play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The phrase "A broken clock is right twice a day" comes to mind here... ;)

Zzippy wrote: »

The phrase "A broken clock is right twice a day" comes to mind here... ;)
    I'm not that bad for justified predictions . I'm often in minority, but I claim the right to say I'm sometimes right ;)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement