Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

blackhound wrote: »
    Yeah he probably is playing for a contract but he does cover a few positions and also has a bit more physicality than our other wing options I think.
    you're preaching to the converted, here, I've always been a fan of Dannie, bring experience too. Though I don't think he covers more than 14 and 23, playing him 13 once in Exeter was a disaster from what was reported. He HAS TO stay injury free now, if he doesn't, Ili/Parata/O'Keefe will be kept ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Looks like Nathan White is coaching at Buccaneers now. Fair play to him, good to see he's gonna stay involved in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Healy must not be 100%.
    Ili has been good but he is not better,
    Poolman was clearly way down the pecking order before Healy got injured.

(Maybe Healy is a springer for the Irish team this weekend :woot::woot::silly:)

I know it was an epidemic at the start of the season, but Healy was very poor in the first few games, miles off last season's form. Tongue-in-cheek aside, I'd be majorly surprised to see him feature anywhere near the Ireland squad this weekend - he certainly needs a run of games to see if he's shaken off the hangover post-injury.....

That's a great 23 to be able to field tomorrow evening though, all things considered. Hoping for a performance, but more importantly a win, to start getting us back on track - which we need to do really quickly to be pushing for top 6

Bazzo wrote: »
    Looks like Nathan White is coaching at Buccaneers now. Fair play to him, good to see he's gonna stay involved in the game.
    And in Ireland/Connacht! Next forward coach ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭deisedude

Anyone read either of John Fallon or Gerry Thornley Connacht books yet? Looking to buy whichever one is best and don't seem to see any reviews for either

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

Anyone with 2 main stand (indoor) tickets want to swap for Clan for this evening? My son's arm is in a sling, so maybe better for us to avoid any pushing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

deisedude wrote: »
    Anyone read either of John Fallon or Gerry Thornley Connacht books yet? Looking to buy whichever one is best and don't seem to see any reviews for either

Think Thornley's is official whereas Fallon's is more comprehensive but unofficial. I'm gonna get Fallon's as I hear it's great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Anyone with 2 main stand (indoor) tickets want to swap for Clan for this evening? My son's arm is in a sling, so maybe better for us to avoid any pushing

Ask on Connacht Clan forum-people will bite your hands off for Clan Ticket

Danie Poolman swapped out for TOH, not an injury or anything just TOH was only released last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Tiernan replaces Daniel on the bench

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Bazzo wrote:
    Danie Poolman swapped out for TOH, not an injury or anything just TOH was only released last night.

Snap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

This Buckley first game back?

This Buckley first game back?

Yep, and McCartney's

Bazzo wrote: »
    Yep, and McCartney's

When did he get injured again? End of last season?

When did he get injured again? End of last season?

They both went off injured against Edinburgh at the end of September.

Bit harsh on Poolman

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What height is James cannon?

Lovely break from Carty. He might not be the quickest but he has a great eye for a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

You know that Connaught have really made it to the Big Time when Owen the Ref is on whistle duty at the Sportsground and not at one of this weekends internationals :)

• Advertisement

Have to love Nige's reffing of the scrum, takes 0 ****.

There's our scrum! We've missed you! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lovely try followed by a complete brainfart there

3rd choice kicker on the field and starting 10 and gives one of the quickest tries away from a restart you'll ever see.

Honestly don't know why he started here with Boshoff ready.

Ronaldson off
    Ili 12
    Kelleher 11
    TOH 15

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Ronaldson off
    Ili 12
    Kelleher 11
    TOH 15

FFS

• Advertisement

Well done Bucko. Killin it in the scrum

Atta boy Denis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Difference is Shingler missing that sitter. Why is Cooney kicking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Monster scrum there!!!

Leading 10-7 half time
    Cooney place kicking

Has a feeling of a game that we gonna fnck up and lose

• Advertisement

All the right signs are there but as seems to be happening so often this season just not quite clicking... hopefully the second half goes a bit better.

Anyone catch what Ronaldson's injury was?

Leading 10-7 half time
    Cooney place kicking

Nah man! Scrum going great. Making good progress around the inside defenders. Bundee is gonna rip it up in 2nd half!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Thats soooo 2014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Great try for a bunch of ice cubes.

Lovely try

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Love Bosch after one kick

That was completely brainless from Cooney, maul was going nowhere, absolutely no need to come flying in the side.

- Muldoon is still immense.
    - He's right, 1st time ever Cardiff is a sold out game
    - Scrum wasn't perfect yet (I do think Loughney is a gent but not up to it TBH), but much better with Buckley
    - Heffernan (except the high tackle) was great, and it's not the first time this season
    - Heenan did one more a lot of impressive unseen work
    - He didn't played blindside as I'd have said, it was Fox in the end there, and it worked well
    - Blade/Boshoff did better than I expected
    - Carty defended his starting spot decently though, except his mistake for the Cardiff try
    - Cooney kicked since the start!!!!!! What about Craig?
    - Hope Ronaldson is ok btw, Ili can't tackle
    - But he's involved and electric.
    - Don't know if Healy would bring more...
    - Carey is ok, good cover for Bealham
    - Niyi deserves his Irish call
    - Aki, Aki, Aki, everywhere

Bit harsh on Poolman
    Indeed...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Mix of the good and bad not for the first time this season. Felt sorry for Danie but O'Halloran did well coming off the bench so call probably justified. Niyi was excellent would have been my motm. Muldoon made a couple of errors but more than made up for it with some huge turnovers.

Good to see more variation in the second half with a few chips over the top and trucking it up. Didn't always come off but need to implement that variation in the coming weeks fully.

Nice to have a game making up ground on last seasons result, plus two from that draw so -7 overall thus far.

• Advertisement

You know that Connaught have really made it to the Big Time when Owen the Ref is on whistle duty at the Sportsground and not at one of this weekends internationals :)
    True, SO true

I'm beginning to sound like a parrot after the matches but anyway.... areas to work on are still breakdown and lads slipping off tackles.

Buckley and McCartney did reasonably well for their first game back though McCartney was a bit quiet and darts were only ok. Didn't notice Cannon much TBH though I could be way off, thought Stevenson actually did a bit more when he came on.

Blade was lively when he came on, fairly impressive performance, Cooney did fairly well for his first game back from a 6 month layoff. Boshoff didn't make the largest of impressions on me I have to say though his first touch with that kick was nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Muldoon saved us even though he wasn't great. Roux looked really lively. Himself and Cannon really helped the front row. I thought Carey was very good around the park. Jack shows glimpses of great play and then fluffs it instantly. Cooney did well and hopefully puts it up to Marmion this season. Ili is a turnstile in defence but looks dangerous in attack. Way too many tackles missed. It's becoming a real issue.
    Boshoff looks to have a bit of pace.

He was "Man-of-the-Bench", harsh to highlight this. But really funny! :D

I think Ili is best kept on the wing, his defense is much too poor to be used in the centre. Wouldn't mind seeing Aki - Parata given a whirl at some stage if Ronaldson is injured but Robb - Aki will probably be the preferred partnership.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Muldoon saved us even though he wasn't great. Roux looked really lively. Himself and Cannon really helped the front row. I thought Carey was very good around the park. Jack shows glimpses of great play and then fluffs it instantly. Cooney did well and hopefully puts it up to Marmion this season. Ili is a turnstile in defence but looks dangerous in attack. Way too many tackles missed. It's becoming a real issue.
    Boshoff looks to have a bit of pace.
    We mostly agree. But Muldoon had a good good game IMO, better than usual, like wine, the gent is ageing well I've to admit...

Not convinced by Ili at all, don't think he is better than Poolman or Parata, and no way in hell is he near the quality of Matt Healy.
    McKeon was dissapointing tonight- I'd start Fox 6 or if SOB fit have him play next week
    Cannon and Carey were great in the loose
    Carty made alot of bad decisions tonight I thought, ran into contact when space to kick, then would try a chip when there was Cardiff cover. His defence is brilliant though, it is often overlooked but he made some smashing tackles out there.
    I'd start Boshoff next week though.
    Cooney is a sexy place kicker

Assuming Ronaldson, injured I'd like this team for Treviso:
    TOH, Niyi, Kelleher
    Robb, Aki
    Cooney, Boshoff
    Muldoon, Heenan, SOB
    Roux, Cannon
    Buckley, Tom, Carey

Heff, JP, Loughney
    Stevenson,Fox
    Blade, Carty, Healy
    ClanofLams wrote: »

Nice to have a game making up ground on last seasons result, plus two from that draw so -7 overall thus far.

We beat Cardiff last season with a TBP included... You're thinking season before where we blew a 14 point lead and ended up drawing

27% missed takles
    25 of our defenders beaten (16 for them)
    13 pens conceeded
    Not good enough for Wasps
    29 kicks from hands show we are looking for variation indeed.
    Heenan : Ran 20 meters beat 1 defender stole a lineout and completed 16 tackles. Unseen work has to be pointed out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    We mostly agree. But Muldoon had a good good game IMO, better than usual, like wine, the gent is ageing well I've to admit...

Not really. Forward of the season last year, man of the match in the Pro12 final (you could argue that one given the performances across the team that day but muldoon made some massive turnovers that day too, one that ultimately led to healys try to go 20-3 up when Leinster were in connachts 22 and a couple more late on when Leinster were attacking in droves and deep in Conn half.

He plays consistently to the level he did tonight, if not higher.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement