Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Did Ronaldson look bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

Win ugly sometimes, on another note fk me how cold was sports ground tonight wow just getting me legs back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

wp_rathead wrote: »

We beat Cardiff last season with a TBP included... You're thinking season before where we blew a 14 point lead and ended up drawing

Ah ****e you're right, -10 so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Ah ****e you're right, -10 so!

we only got 4 points againts Treviso last season so a TBP Win and we'll only be -9 :)

there was alot to be positive about tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Carey put in a hell of a shift tonight, by far his best performance for us
    There were definitely a few poor tackles from him but I also think k it's worth noting that Ili put in a few major hits that really in the 2nd half
    Ronaldson seemed really upset when he came off, put ice straight on his left quad. I wonder if he had a niggle in it beforehand and that's why Cooney was taking the kicks
    I thought we imposed ourselves at the breakdown more than we have so far this season
    Finally can all take a moment to appreciate Nepias kick and chase towards the end of the game :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Happy enough with that, ugly win but never really in doubt, Cardiff's only score was from that brainfart by Carty. Tight game not helped by the ref completely ignoring the back foot - Navidi was offside at rucks all night long and they got up in our faces well knowing they wouldn't be pinged for it. Couple of dinks over the top was the answer but Carty just wasn't kicking well tonight - telling that Cooney was taking the place kicks. Like to see Boshoff start next week to get a proper look at him, thought he kicked well when he came on but was playing a bit too deep to get the backs outside him moving. Still, 4 points in the bag, go for 5 next week and start moving up the table...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

sets us up nicely for the next 3 weekends, no standout performances more workmanlike and the scrum was much improved. Carty tried a couple of chips over the defence but executed them very poorly, It's an option we need to execute well with the rush defences, Boschoff came on and seemed up to the task, one nice linebreak and a chip into midfield that bounced handily towards a Cardiff player but could easily have gone our way, good execution though. He has to start next weekend

And we've passed the 9000th post mark! in a single year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

connachta wrote: »
    And we've passed the 9000th post mark! in a single year!
    Interesting reading back at the beginning of that first thread. We've certainly come a long way.

Well
    I find it harsh for Cooney/Blade + any of our back-three players + Carey and Heff (such great ball-carriers and ruck-machines) to make way for Marmion, Healy, Bealham and McCartney..
    Loughney is constantly dominated at scrumtime and in contact areas, I'd try to re-introduce Robertson-McCoy ASAP
    Cannon is a decent bencher behind Dillane/Roux for Wasps
    Nepia blindside and Heenan openside must be seen for a whole game...
    Our main issue is centre to pair with Aki
    1) partly injured Ronaldson or Griffin
    2) Robb who made smth like 7 knock-ons on his own
    3) Out-of-position Ili, Kelleher, Poolman or Parata
    That's the moment we all miss Dave McSharry....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Well
    I find it harsh for Cooney/Blade + any of our back-three players + Carey and Heff (such great ball-carriers and ruck-machines) to make way for Marmion, Healy, Bealham and McCartney..
    Loughney is constantly dominated at scrumtime and in contact areas, I'd try to re-introduce Robertson-McCoy ASAP

Isn't 13 Parata's preferred position?

Bazzo wrote: »
    Well

Isn't 13 Parata's preferred position?
    I think he mostly play on the wing with his club, doesn't he?

I think he mostly play on the wing with his club, doesn't he?

I remember our resident Parata expert saying at one stage that 13 is his preferred position ;)

Correction you're right he played 13 recently

But is it the right time to test Aki/Parata right before Wasps? It's a risk but maybe...

182 95kg, rather a winger profile.

I guess it depends on Wasps players : if they have fast flankers able to cut our attacking line, Robb would help with his power. if they use classic defense, Parata will find gaps more easily than Peter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

How did our new guy look? Missed the whole game

evil_seed wrote: »
    How did our new guy look? Missed the whole game

He didn't get very long, about 15 mins I'd say. One great touch finder and some nice half breaks. Missed touch with one pen though he did kick it a mile, probably trying to make too big an impression with that.

Think he will prove a good signing in time and expect he'll start next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Wesley fofana - 178, 93kg
    Conrad Smith - 187, 95kg
    Brian O'Driscoll - 178, 93kg

Those poor guys will never make it in the centre.

NiallBoo wrote: »

Wesley fofana - 178, 93kg
    Conrad Smith - 187, 95kg
    Brian O'Driscoll - 178, 93kg

Those poor guys will never make it in the centre.
    Who are they? Playing 2nd tier rugby I guess :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

But is it the right time to test Aki/Parata right before Wasps? It's a risk but maybe...

Aki parata played a number of games together at the start of last season. And looked very good as well

• Advertisement

freyners wrote: »

Aki parata played a number of games together at the start of last season. And looked very good as well
    I know, irrelevant for Wasps coming, to remember a few games more than a year ago...

Marmion is so f**kin tough. Didn't back down an inch against giants coming at him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

He was left out to dry on 3 or 4 occasions and missed maybe one tackle. Unreal showing for somebody so out of position.

Dillane shoving Furlong 3 metres ahead was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

He was left out to dry on 3 or 4 occasions and missed maybe one tackle. Unreal showing for somebody so out of position.

Dillane shoving Furlong 3 metres ahead was amazing.

he forced that forward pass aswell

you could see he struggled a bit positionally but nothing to complain about he seriously fronted up well.

Finlay is a pure dark arts tight head always make it look like the loose head is in the wrong

was him winning a penalty that I loved, Aussies tried choke tackle on him but he got his knee down
    hopefully this has earned Joe's trust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

was him winning a penalty that I loved, Aussies tried choke tackle on him but he got his knee down

Joe seemed genuinely impressed and mentioned his effort several times. Hopefully he will get more minutes.

I liked when he took over when Murray got caught in a ruck, really slowed down play set up pods of three to give murray time to get back and wore the clock down, also liked how he tried to buy a penalty getting the whole oz defensive line to pop up

Elliot Daly got red for England, could miss few weeks

INPHO_01135189.jpg
    Great bunch of lads

• Advertisement

With Marmion, Cooney, Blade and now Kerrins ; Connacht is definitely the richest provunce here !

I hope I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if Cooney doesn't go to Ulster over the summer with their IQ 9 woes he'd be a good addition. personally I think hes better than their current options at 9 after Pienaar, and he has to go at the end of the season.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd be surprised if Cooney doesn't go to Ulster over the summer with their IQ 9 woes he'd be a good addition. personally I think hes better than their current options at 9 after Pienaar, and he has to go at the end of the season.
    Yeah we all suspect that but let's enjoy the "fabulous 4" we have now...
    ex-lock Nolan to be seen on sky 2PM with Doncaster, along with IQ Scanlon (FB), Heaney (SH), and Cusack (FH)

Well, having our current contract situation
    those guys did nothing exceptionnal but decent, and I wouldn't be that bother to have
    Nolan back for one of Qualter/Stevenson
    big Cusack for O'Leary to cover both 10 and 12
    Scanlon if Ili doesn't stay
    and Heaney moving west if Cooney moves north

"Kyle Eastmond was outstanding, until the centre suffered a worrying shoulder injury late in the first half"
    News for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

I'll need to dig it outo but when Pienaar leaving was announced, Les Kiss went through all the in house Scrum Half options in Ulster and they have 2-3 options around the 20 year old mark, I suspect they will look to them first. And Marshall is decent if not spectacular. And every time he plays everyone compares him to Pienaar and looks for him to be replaced. Which is hard for any player to excell in those conditions

• Advertisement

ki wrote: »
    I'll need to dig it outo but when Pienaar leaving was announced, Les Kiss went through all the in house Scrum Half options in Ulster and they have 2-3 options around the 20 year old mark, I suspect they will look to them first. And Marshall is decent if not spectacular. And every time he plays everyone compares him to Pienaar and looks for him to be replaced. Which is hard for any player to excell in those conditions

Ah Marshall is poor I'd say Ulster fans wouldn't be as nice as me about it. He's been the losing of many a match for them he doesn't get the best of the talent they have in the backs at all.

Cooney would have experience of winning high pressure matches and his style would complement their backline well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah Marshall is poor I'd say Ulster fans wouldn't be as nice as me about it. He's been the losing of many a match for them he doesn't get the best of the talent they have in the backs at all.

Cooney would have experience of winning high pressure matches and his style would complement their backline well

Will you shurrup! Kiss could be reading this!

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

And everyone they have will be compared to Pienaar but....

Cooney would have experience of winning high pressure matches and his style would complement their backline well.
    Cooney isn't needed by Ulster. They simply just need to use their existing options in Lloyd, Shanahan, Cairns, Stewart. All ranging from early 20s to teens and several have quite a few years playing high level club rugby and A rugby and should be able to step up. Cooney isn't needed.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Will you shurrup! Kiss could be reading this!

:pac:

I have said a lot earlier that I hope it wouldn't happen. With Marmion going to be away with Ireland we need a high calibre scrum half so he should stay

looks better and better for us,
    "Jimmy Gopperth tightened up his hamstring; Matt Symons has a foot injury while Kyle Eastmond is possibly the worst as he's picked up a shoulder problem and is very sore."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Ulster were set to play Zebre at home during an international window last Friday. You don't get a better opportunity than that to give game time or expose a younger player to the senior team.

I don't think I could imagine a better scenario if I could hand pick one, actually. They picked Pienaar at 9 and Marshall on the bench. I'd be very surprised if their intention is to look at one of their young scrum halves for next season.

Their great hope is Jonny Stewart. He turns 20 in February and it will be very interesting to see how he goes. I've seen Ulster fans claim David Shanahan is too small to make it at pro level and that's why he isn't getting game time. Well, they'll be disappointed to see Stewart is the same size.

I'd be very surprised if Ulster aren't all over John Cooney at the moment. The bloke has the potential to be a ECC starting scrum half and, similar to Pienaar, can kick at goal if Jackson is on international duty.

Buer wrote: »

Ulster were set to play Zebre at home during an international window last Friday. You don't get a better opportunity than that to give game time or expose a younger player to the senior team.

I don't think I could imagine a better scenario if I could hand pick one, actually. They picked Pienaar at 9 and Marshall on the bench. I'd be very surprised if their intention is to look at one of their young scrum halves for next season.

Their great hope is Jonny Stewart. He turns 20 in February and it will be very interesting to see how he goes. I've seen Ulster fans claim David Shanahan is too small to make it at pro level and that's why he isn't getting game time. Well, they'll be disappointed to see Stewart is the same size.

I'd be very surprised if Ulster aren't all over John Cooney at the moment. The bloke has the potential to be a ECC starting scrum half and, similar to Pienaar, can kick at goal if Jackson is on international duty.
    TBH Cooney should have, in theory, a lot of gametime in the future, as Marmion seems now really 2nd choice for Ireland. And Connacht is not far from Ulster for squad quality (not the "Leinster lure" this time")
    The main issue for him to stay is he's no guarentee to be 2nd choice in the West with both Blade and Kerrins stepping up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

TBH Cooney should have, in theory, a lot of gametime in the future, as Marmion seems now really 2nd choice for Ireland. And Connacht is not far from Ulster for squad quality (not the "Leinster lure" this time")
    The main issue for him to stay is he's no guarentee to be 2nd choice in the West with both Blade and Kerrins stepping up

I would imagine he'd be far more interested in being first choice and regularly starting European games. That would be the pull. I don't think he'd be happy to settle for being the back up to Marmion long term given he was ahead of him for a spell previously.

If Ulster came in with a good deal, it would be hard for him to knock it back.

looks better and better for us,
    "Jimmy Gopperth tightened up his hamstring; Matt Symons has a foot injury while Kyle Eastmond is possibly the worst as he's picked up a shoulder problem and is very sore."

and AGAIN, maybe better
    The Wasps threequarter Daly faces a disciplinary hearing in London at Monday lunchtime knowing the entry point sanction for the offence is a three-week suspension with the mid-range numbering six weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

I would imagine he'd be far more interested in being first choice and regularly starting European games. That would be the pull. I don't think he'd be happy to settle for being the back up to Marmion long term given he was ahead of him for a spell previously.

And you can be sure Nucifora knows it would be best for Ireland in the area where we are most struggling for depth at the moment.

And you can be sure Nucifora knows it would be best for Ireland in the area where we are most struggling for depth at the moment.
    then he should insist on Ulster giving us one of their 12 centres as we're struggling here with McSharry retired
    But he's gonna say Ireland will have enough depth next season because of a guy named Aki...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

They also have Angus Lloyd - I've no idea how good or bad he is...

Also Munster are in need of a Scrum half too - as back up to Murray.

So there may be competition for him.

They also have Angus Lloyd - I've no idea how good or bad he is...

Also Munster are in need of a Scrum half too - as back up to Murray.

So there may be competition for him.
    Think he be first choice for Ulster, being back up to Murray or Marmion might not appeal to him

That said we all thought he'd return to Leinster for this season but signed one year extension last season so he may well stay on again

Think he be first choice for Ulster, being back up to Murray or Marmion might not appeal to him

That said we all thought he'd return to Leinster for this season but signed one year extension last season so he may well stay on again

If he Didn't know about jgp that was a really good Choice in fairness.

Everyone needs to stop being depressing. I heard from my cousin's neighbour's boyfriend's cat that Cooney has already signed a 3 year deal, punditarena will be along with the exclusive soon.

Any word on what's wrong with Ronaldson yet?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement