Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Try POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOlman

Nepia has to keep starting at 6 against Wasps

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Big Tom mainlines another try.

21-3

BP wrapped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Great try, lovely hands, should have been a yellow for Treviso after crazy high tackle on TOH. This is more like the old Connacht.

Let's make the bench come into this, and rest Aki McCartney TOH for next week. The rest needs gametime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Treviso play some nice rugby
    Heenan is awesome

Controversial question :
    Boshoff didn't kick a single one to the post until he came
    Cooney succeeds in touchline kicks and seems lively in open play
    Have we got to start him ahead of Marms next week?

• Advertisement

Also, Ian McKinley saved Kelleher from getting a red by getting up straight away when Cian ran into him in the air - lucky boy to just get a yellow

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭aled

Thinking exactly the same. Its bizarre. Listening to this on Galway Bay (thanks facecutter) andI am at a loss to understand why Cooney is kicking when I thought the reason was brought in wa consistent kicking.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Poolman sounds like he's getting some of the old form back.

Well relief we exited Buckley and Carey early enough to avoid injuries, and have Bealham back. Because McCoy/J.P Cooney/Loughney aren't up to it at all for scrum

Nice to see Carty as FB

aled wrote: »
    Thinking exactly the same. Its bizarre. Listening to this on Galway Bay (thanks facecutter) andI am at a loss to understand why Cooney is kicking when I thought the reason was brought in wa consistent kicking.
    So it's clear enough if Manitz isn't 100% (arm), Cooney has to start and kick. Carty is ok in open play if he stops stupid kicks over the top.

as the game comes to a conclusion i get the impression that boshoff wont be available for next week. cooney is 100% these days with his kicking. is it possible we will see marmion on the bench. points will be crucial against wasps and you have to think that cooney must be first choice if boshoff out. other question is how did Ili do beside Aki. Will that be the centre partnership next week if Ronaldson still injured. You would think that the back three are already picked, being niyi, tiernan and cian (with matt re-injured).

• Advertisement

as the game comes to a conclusion i get the impression that boshoff wont be available for next week. cooney is 100% these days with his kicking. is it possible we will see marmion on the bench. points will be crucial against wasps and you have to think that cooney must be first choice if boshoff out. other question is how did Ili do beside Aki. Will that be the centre partnership next week if Ronaldson still injured. You would think that the back three are already picked, being niyi, tiernan and cian (with matt re-injured).
    If Ronaldson is available, it changes a lot from 9 to 23...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

connachta wrote: »

Ground is a real issue now. If we're selling out to Treviso for a 3 pm kick off. Well be loosing out 3-4k of attendance for interprofessional games

gally74 wrote: »

Ground is a real issue now. If we're selling out to Treviso for a 3 pm kick off. Well be loosing out 3-4k of attendance for interprofessional games
    Yeah the logic behind a 10 to 12K stadium is verified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

And Cardiff last week too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

The ground was in absolute no way close to sold out. I get that they have to add the st holders but there was in no way 5903 there (the announced attendance) . The bohermore was practically empty.

Not saying the status quo is right mind. We need a stadium. But them announcing 98% sold out is laughable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Anyone who was at the game who could give an idea how Boshoff played? What's the talk of him being injured(already :()?

Also anyone know what happened to Healy? Nice to see Poolman getting a try anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Yeah ST holders count as those tickets were sold for the match

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Everdene

Bazzo wrote: »
    Anyone who was at the game who could give an idea how Boshoff played? What's the talk of him being injured(already :()?

Also anyone know what happened to Healy? Nice to see Poolman getting a try anyway.

Healy got injured in the warm up. seemed to be right leg.

Roux was my MotM, he did the Aly role very well

Cannon was brilliant in the lineout, but I can see Dillane coming in for him

Ili did well in the center in fairness to him, still don't know if he is long term option there though

Boshoff has a lovely pass, but the guy is surprisingly short looking. Hopefully he is fit for the game

Scrum went to pieces when Buckley and Tom went off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Agree with the attendance. Behind the goals were as empty as you'd ever see them. 4 thousand-ish.

Boschoff wasn't spectacular but take away kicking from an outhalf and there isn't much to report on. Anytime he gets ball it's through the hands and he didn't really take anybody on. He's only settling in but I'm not sure if he'll be burning through gaps like Carty can/AJ could.

Was great to see Poolman back involved. Bar one knock-on I thought he was excellent. Fox stood out too.

Maybe a small thing but it was great that we could give lads like Mull and the entire front row + Bundee such a nice reception when they were taken off. SOB didn't get much but what he did when he did get ball was exciting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Agree with the attendance. Behind the goals were as empty as you'd ever see them. 4 thousand-ish.

Boschoff wasn't spectacular but take away kicking from an outhalf and there isn't much to report on. Anytime he gets ball it's through the hands and he didn't really take anybody on. He's only settling in but I'm not sure if he'll be burning through gaps like Carty can/AJ could.

Was great to see Poolman back involved. Bar one knock-on I thought he was excellent. Fox stood out too.

Maybe a small thing but it was great that we could give lads like Mull and the entire front row + Bundee such a nice reception when they were taken off. SOB didn't get much but what he did when he did get ball was exciting.

If all tickets are sold. All tickets are sold. We've added enough casual supports to sell 6k. So interprofessional game.

St holders + casual support Conn. + Interprovincial supports = 10 k

With Dillane back, I guess I'll slot in for back-row sub, which is harsh on McKeon who did nothing spectacular but quite well any time he's played. Underrated, and too many competitors. Won't get better with Masterson/Dawai soon to be back. With also Maloney and Connolly I suspect 1 if not 2 back-row wil leave Connacht this summer. Even with Muldoon ageing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Boshoff has a lovely pass, but the guy is surprisingly short looking.

Bit of an odd criticism?

listening to galway bay boshoff hit the line with kicks and gained metres for the team. a critique that jack has been most annoying at

listening to galway bay boshoff hit the line with kicks and gained metres for the team. a critique that jack has been most annoying at
    Yeah but for having seen him play with Golden Lions he doesn't carry for gainline succes. If Cooney starts and kicks with the tee, I'd pair him with Carty. Then, Marmion-Boshoff early around the 55th min mark

• Advertisement

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Bit of an odd criticism?

Ha, not a criticism, just an observation, is rather unusual for the scrum half to be taller than the outhalf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know we usually draw a lot of comparisons between Connacht and the Dillon Panthers but Boschoff is definitely our potential Matt Saracen.

*Clear eyes full hearts can't lose!*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Cian Kelleher had a really good game. Hopefully healys injury is nothing serious and he's back soon but TOH Niyi and Kelleher is still a strong back three.

Boshoff was holding his side a bit but didn't look too serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

So after the Ulster game we are now 2 points behind Cardiff and 7 off Glasgow who are in 6th and we have a game in hand... yeah we should definitely give up on the league.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The league is our priority. We don't get CC if we don't do well in it. To write it off is silly. A long way to go yet and our injury crisis is getting much better. Our only weakness now is out second string front row.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

While there is certainly a drop off between our first choice front row and second choice I think Carey has plenty of potential at tighthead and heffo is a good Hooker, at loosehead we certainly loose power without Buckley but we have a few players that are adequate in the position.
    We do seem to have a few good players coming through the academy so in the net season or two we should have a lot more strength there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Cian Kelleher had a really good game. Hopefully healys injury is 7nothing serious and he's back soon but TOH Niyi and Kelleher is still a strong back three.

Looked like it might have been a 'stinger' to his left shoulder, hopefully he'll be grand after a few days. Thought he did well, nothing spectacular. Great boot on him, some great touch-finders.

Good performance overall, nice to see that they didn't really ease off, although there was a lull in the 2nd half, great to push on and get 7 tries, good for the points differential, we need all of them things going in the right direction to hope for a top 6 spot, which is going to be one of the most hotly contested top 6 races for a long time I think.....

blackhound wrote: »
    So after the Ulster game we are now 2 points behind Cardiff and 7 off Glasgow  who are in 6th and we have a game in hand... yeah we should definitely give up on the league.:P
    We won't catch Glasgow, Scotstoun game is to come.

blackhound wrote: »
    While there is certainly a drop off between our first choice front row and second choice I think Carey has plenty of potential at tighthead and heffo is a good Hooker, at loosehead we certainly loose power without Buckley but we have a few players that are adequate in the position.
    We do seem to have a few good players coming through the academy so in the net season or two we should have a lot more strength there.

Agree Soroka might be useful to complete Bealham/Buckley/Carey

• Advertisement

tobdom wrote: »

Looked like it might have been a 'stinger' to his left shoulder, hopefully he'll be grand after a few days. Thought he did well, nothing spectacular. Great boot on him, some great touch-finders.
    Question : At the moment none of the 3 is ruled out, but what happens if Boshoff/Ronaldson/O'leary remain out?
    Cooney as substitute 10?

connachta, would you give it a rest. we will manage to do what we will manage to do. personally i think we will win the champions cup. thats just my opinion. but give up on the negativity. connacht has a fantastic team. if we lose then we lose. but we aint going to lose boring.

Question : At the moment none of the 3 is ruled out, but what happens if Boshoff/Ronaldson/O'leary remain out?
    Cooney as substitute 10?

Either Conor McKeon(he's back down as an out half on the Connacht website) benches or else just put 2 utility backs on the bench and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Healy did his ankle I think. Didn't seem particularly bad so Im hoping it's a precaution. He was certainly jumping up and down on it for the physio at the end of the warmup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Redo91

Jesus Christ everything you post is negative. Why bother? You're wrong more often than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Forget about catching teams. It's irrelevant, as I posted earlier this week Connacht need to get to sixty points. That will almost certainly be enough for top six. So forty points needed from 13 games. Not straightforward but certainly doable.

Although if I had to pick one to 'catch' it would be Scarlets who are 12 clear (7 if Connacht win game in hand with a bp against Zebre) and have to travel to the Sportsground yet whilst Connacht have gone there.

• Advertisement

Bazzo wrote: »
    Cooney as substitute 10?

Either Conor McKeon(he's back down as an out half on the Connacht website) benches or else just put 2 utility backs on the bench and hope for the best.
    Nah, played  SH yesterday with Buccaneers but thought to him too as an emergency cover...

Redo91 wrote: »

Jesus Christ everything you post is negative. Why bother? You're wrong more often than not.
    Sorry but it's not true. I was pretty much isolated to predict Nepia and Heenan would both play together, it's an example. And I'm someone who admit when I was really wrong, mainly once, in February after we had lost our track with another defeat in Parc y Scarlets.
    But I agree with what's said above, in pro12 at least we'll not finish 7th with boring rugby!

ClanofLams wrote: »

Forget about catching teams. It's irrelevant, as I posted earlier this week Connacht need to get to sixty points. That will almost certainly be enough for top six. So forty points needed from 13 games. Not straightforward but certainly doable.

Although if I had to pick one to 'catch' it would be Scarlets who are 12 clear (7 if Connacht win game in hand with a bp against  Zebre) and have to travel to the Sportsground yet whilst Connacht have gone there.
    Not straightforward AT ALL ;  But partly agree about Scarlets, they seem better than Glasgow/Scarlets of last season though

Treadhead wrote: »
    Healy  did his ankle I think.  Didn't seem particularly bad so Im hoping it's a precaution. He was certainly jumping up and down on it for the physio at the end of the warmup...
    Even if available, with no gametime for two months, I wouldn't have him ahead of Cian/Niyi/TOH. And as we're short for centres he shouldn't cover 23 ahead of Poolman/Parata who can play there.. Except if Kelleher moves there (13) when Matt comes in, but he never did this season... Risky

Even if available, with no gametime for two months, I wouldn't have him ahead of Cian/Niyi/TOH. And as we're short for centres he shouldn't cover 23 ahead of Poolman/Parata who can play there.. Except if Kelleher moves there (13) when Matt comes in, but he never did this season... Risky

I think it's between Healy and Kelleher for a spot and talented as Kelleher is and good as he's been I wouldn't write Healy off at all. There's a reason be was joint top try scorer in the league last year.

Between injuries (hopefully)callups and competition it can only be a good thing to have a good range of options in the back 3 anyway.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement