Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Bazzo wrote: »
    connachta wrote: »
    Even if available, with no gametime for two months, I wouldn't have him ahead of Cian/Niyi/TOH. And as we're short for centres he shouldn't cover 23 ahead of Poolman/Parata who can play there.. Except if Kelleher moves there (13) when Matt comes in, but he never did this season... Risky

I think it's between Healy and Kelleher for a spot and talented as Kelleher is and good as he's been I wouldn't write Healy off at all. There's a reason be was joint top try scorer in the league last year.

Between injuries (hopefully)callups and competition it can only be a good thing to have a good range of options in the back 3 anyway.
    Healy has deficiencies in defence ; So does Cian, but less...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

Reported in today's Rugby Paper

Pat Lam is set to be offered the Bristol head coach role by their billionaire owner Steve Lansdowne. Bristol are able to buy him out of his current contract with Connacht. Stuart Lancaster is also set to be part of the coaching team.

golfer555 wrote: »
    Reported in today's Rugby Paper

Pat Lam is set to be offered the Bristol head coach role by their billionaire owner Steve Lansdowne. Bristol are able to buy him out of his current contract with Connacht. Stuart Lancaster is also set to be part of the coaching team.
    Bristol lost again without BP yesterday. There's 90% chance they're relegated. If he want to coach 2nd tier rugby, he can accept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Sounds like journos throwing names at a wall and hoping one sticks TBH. Heyneke Meyer was "a cert" to join last month. Lam also seems to be invariably linked with a couple different clubs every year because there's no way he could be happy coaching Connacht, right?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    Not straightforward AT ALL ;  But partly agree about Scarlets, they seem better than Glasgow/Scarlets of last season though

Right we'll let's assume connacht get 5 points v zebre and beat scarlets 4-1 at home, there would be a four point gap with eleven rounds left.

It's not unrealistic to overtake them at all.

www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/the-ma...connacht-433578.html

Really interesting, especially Carolan's Academy influence to save Connacht in 2008

Wasps showed what's to expect : nothing great, defence close to disrupt many times but never did ; tackles percentage is very high, turnover position very often. Connacht will suffer from that, Heenan/Nepia/and Buckley has to be 110%!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So team for Wasps?

Buckley
    McCartney
    Bealham
    Roux
    Cannon
    SOB
    Heenan
    Muldoon
    Cooney
    Carty
    Kelleher
    Ili
    Aki
    Adeolokun
    O'Halloran

Cooney
    Heffernan
    Carey
    Dillane
    Fox Matamua
    Marmion
    O'Leary (hopefully back)
    Parata

Operating under assumption that Boshoff, Ronaldson & Healy are unavailable. Harsh on Poolman but was never a big fan of him in the centre.

Cooney getting the nod to kick & Cannon to run the lineout. O'Brien adds a bit more heft to the backrow.

No Dillane:angry:. Let's stop wih lineout/Muldowney role, Ultan is international, he knows Connacht system way better than Cannon, he's one of our very few ball carriers (against a physical Wasps team who won yesterday against Worcester because the latter had no one to cross their defensive line). HE HAS TO START

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

That has to be pretty close to the starting team.
    Any combination of the three second rows is plausible and acceptable.

I'd say Boschoff will be available but will bench - Carty for me would be more solid defensively and if anything slightly better in open play attack and Cooney can kick for goal.
    I would reverse Matamua and SOB.  
    If Ronaldson is back then we have a VERY formidable team and Ili on the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Brace yourselves :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Redo91

RonnieL wrote: »
    Brace yourselves :-(

I'm gutted!! Surprised too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Redo91 wrote: »
    I'm gutted!! Surprised too!

really that upset that Muldoon got engaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Evil_g

What is it lads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Let's just say, we'll be hearing about how EOS only lives out the road again....

Pat to Bristol? Is this based on anything more than the reports in the media over the weekend?

RTE Rugby on Twitter:
    Connacht have announced Pat Lam will be leaving at the end of the 2016/17 season.

Thanks for everything Pat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

fu ck sake!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is gutting news. What a contribution he's made to Connacht though. Hope he achieves everything he deserves. Class act.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Evil_g wrote: »
    Pat to Bristol? Is this based on anything more than the reports in the media over the weekend?

His name is mentioned in a big list of others. Bristol are looking for a mid-season appointment so they are not going to get any head coach from another club.

Stuart Lancaster seems a more likely appointment. - currently an assistant to in Lenister - and they are talking about a 3-5 year head coach ot just someone to get them out of there current pickle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

In case my Monday wasn't going bad enough already!!! Right home to bed it is to hope its all a dream :(

Seriously dissapointed.
    He has been great for Connacht but he could have picked a better week to announce this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Full statement from Connacht

He'll gonna coach a 2nd tier team, in championship. His choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Bundee unhappy on twitter. Understandable - may feel he was signed up on a new contract under false pretences.

• Advertisement

I guess his nephew Jack was part of his decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Nooooooo!

Really really feel for Connacht with this news......from a Leinster supporter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Gutted Pats going.

But we can only thank him for where he's brought us and wish him all the best going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Disaster for all of Irish Rugby

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

FARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone coming to the pub? I feel it's the only appropriate course of action...

That's very disappointing. Best of luck to Pat all the same, he'll always be the coach that brought Connacht their first trophy.

So a lot of the coaching team has been gutted now, hopefully good decisions are made with the replacements. I wonder what role Nigel Carolan could play in the future? He's done an outstanding job with the academy and the Irish u20s but you'd have to think he won't be happy in that role forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Damn it. That came out of no where.

Gutted Pats going.

But we can only thank him for where he's brought us and wish him all the best going forward

Fully agreed, he has put Connacht on the map in terms of the IRFU - we are no longer the black sheep - giving them lots of money and nothing to show for it.

He has brought everything we could have hoped for - success -international standard players -exciting style

Thanks Pat - and all the best in the future!!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

I don't think Bundee is the only one going to be pissed with Pat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I know it'll be fairly meaningless to many of ye, but when Cheika left Leinster shortly after delivering us a cup for the first time, I think there was a loss too. But obviously Schmidt ended up being better.

Sometimes the coach who rebuilds a team from nowhere can only take it so far. And another coach, who wouldn't have been able to get through those early years can capitalize on them better.

Who are the possible replacements?

Jackman/Carolan pairing, why not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/pat-lam-to-join-bristol-rugby-as-head-coach-from-connacht-ahead-of-2017-18-season/story-29957909-detail/story.html

Yup, Bristol.
    Pat has transformed a Connacht team into Pro12 champions and we believe he can build a squad, a culture and an environment that can be successful in the Aviva Premiership.

Mark Tainton and the existing coaching set-up will continue in their roles with the target of securing our Aviva Premiership survival.

They have done an excellent job so far in instilling some real fight and positivity into the players and we are confident that Mark has the ability to keep Bristol in the top-flight

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I know it'll be fairly meaningless to many of ye, but when Cheika left Leinster shortly after delivering us a cup for the first time, I think there was a loss too. But obviously Schmidt ended up being better.

Sometimes the coach who rebuilds a team from nowhere can only take it so far. And another coach, who wouldn't have been able to get through those early years can capitalize on them better.
    Agree

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

errlloyd wrote: »

So what you're saying is that Joe is going to step down from the national team and take over in Connacht?

Well I feel a bit better now :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

When does Pat's contract end? and how much are you extorting out of Bristol for his signature?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Very unfortunate for ye lads. However, Connacht are now big time on the map, ye can afford to be very picky and keep building the machine. Onwards and upwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

I'm very confident Nigel is finally going to get the nod.

When does Pat's contract end? and how much are you extorting out of Bristol for his signature?

2018 and hopefully somewhere in the region of a metric ****ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Very disappointing but he owes nobody anything. 4 years is about right in terms of coaching a province. Hopefully the replacement is au fait with the current approach and a level of continuity is maintained.

its_phil wrote: »
    I'm very confident Nigel is finally going to get the nod.

I wouldn't object to that. I'd hope there'd be some money left over to add to the backroom staff too. Replace Dave Ellis and get a full time defence coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nigel Carolan step up into the role. He's done great work at academy level.

• Advertisement

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/pat-lam-to-join-bristol-rugby-as-head-coach-from-connacht-ahead-of-2017-18-season/story-29957909-detail/story.html

Yup, Bristol.
    Pat has transformed a Connacht team into Pro12 champions and we believe he can build a squad, a culture and an environment that can be successful in the Aviva Premiership.

Mark Tainton and the existing coaching set-up will continue in their roles with the target of securing our Aviva Premiership survival.

They have done an excellent job so far in instilling some real fight and positivity into the players and we are confident that Mark has the ability to keep Bristol in the top-flight
    That is VERY disappointing. He would surely have been the lead contender for next Irish Boss.
    How is he going to motivate players for the rest if the season when they can see he has left for money rather than all the values he has been getting them to buy into.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement