Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Carolan odds collapsed in to 11/1. Well done all

11/2 on PP now. Obviously someone has lumped on...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Carolan odds collapsed in to 11/1. Well done all

11/2! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I just got in there at 40/1 thanks to the fine people of this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Two words and an angry face emoticon. Seems no expression of emotion is complete without one these days.

It's hard to read anything else into that tweet tbh, other than that he's annoyed Lam is leaving.

Unless he means "pissed" in the Irish sense and not the American? Maybe he hit an early house before training and the emoticon actually symbolises the red blotchy face commonly brought on by low-grade alcoholic drinks?

Either way, Twitter is not the place.

He's annoyed, or depressed, that his coach is leaving, and he can't express that in two words without being accused of throwing stones in a glasshouse. That's worth two of these :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mountains and molehills, but some people like to make one into the other...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Nigel is now 11-2 on Paddy Power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I just got in there at 40/1 thanks to the fine people of this thread

Same here, I can't help but feel a bit guilty those who suggested may have missed out because of us freeloaders. Oh well..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aki12

Any chance they'd go with Muldoon?? May not have the experience but really embraced himself in lams methods and we strong enough in the back row

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Aki12 wrote: »
    Any chance they'd go with Muldoon?? May not have the experience but really embraced himself in lams methods and we strong enough in the back row

unless connacht want to undo everything that they have achieved with Lam, then NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

9/2 for Jackman and Carolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

9/2 for Jackman and Carolan

Connacht Thread: "It would be a shame if something happened to Bernard Jackman"

A5Qe7Na.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

No mention of Rob Penney? Would have thought he'd be a good fit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

leakyboots wrote: »

There was a mention already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

leakyboots wrote: »

It'd make for a big clash with Munster anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

What price Jimmy Duffy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

Jeremy Davidson's worth a coin, would release money to buy a good NIQ lock, and does great for Aurillac with a very balanced style between forwards and backs. Constantly high in prod2 table with low budget since years now

ClanofLams;101875389
    This is obviously very much a minor issue given today's news but lineout calling is a fairly difficult role, Lam said towards the end of last season that Dillane and Roux weren't able for it yet but Duffy was working on them. If they're still not ready then Cannon will start.

except the "muldowney theory" (I doubt lock matters in himself in pivotal role), explain me why Cannon should be ahead of almighty Dillane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    There was a mention already

Meant on the odds

Well, well : janv. 2014 - Saracens director of rugby Mark McCall has penned a new contract with the Hendon club until June 2017.......
    If IRFU offers him an Irish assistant coach position in the same time....and maybe more after 2019...

Things are getting faster today
    Kilcoyne may be off to France, hope Munster won't target Buckley too much, but it's a point for him to stay in Connacht too : he'd be officially the 3rd choice LH for Ireland and can reasonably expect "caps"

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭aled

I remember back to the April Fools skit on Pat leaving that Galway Bay did and feeling let down. Have to say I'm not that put out about Pat leaving now. He has taken Connacht to new heights. He has brought in quality players so now we have excellent cover in most areas. As for Pat leaving for the money, well don't most people move jobs for the money so no gripe there either. I wish him the best. He has done Connacht well and deserves thanks not criticism. I would expect the first phone call he made was to McGinty to turn up for training at Bristol this Summer.

On a more concerned note I can see Tom leaving with him. It is not unusual for managers to poach their quality workers when moving job and Bristol could certainly do with some quality. I could also see Buckley moving. Buckley owes nothing to Ireland having been overlooked for so long at international level. Now if these two left, and possibly Nepia as well, that would create some hole in the team that would be very difficult to repair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

750k a year for Lam in Bristol
    Good luck to him. He'll have left a fantastic legacy. Just hope the group stays tight knit this season and ploughs on.

aled wrote: »
    I remember back to the April Fools skit on Pat leaving that Galway Bay did and feeling let down. Have to say I'm not that put out about Pat leaving now. He has taken Connacht to new heights. He has brought in quality players so now we have excellent cover in most areas. As for Pat leaving for the money, well don't most people move jobs for the money so no gripe there either. I wish him the best. He has done Connacht well and deserves thanks not criticism. I would expect the first phone call he made was to McGinty to turn up for training at Bristol this Summer.

On a more concerned note I can see Tom leaving with him. It is not unusual for managers to poach their quality workers when moving job and Bristol could certainly do with some quality. I could also see Buckley moving. Buckley owes nothing to Ireland having been overlooked for so long at international level. Now if these two left, and possibly Nepia as well, that would create some hole in the team that would be very difficult to repair.
    We wrote in the same time, my post on the previous page talks about a possible incentive for Buckley to stay in Ireland

Can't see Tom McCartney leaving at this point. I would imagine he has designs on the 2019 RWC. He qualifies for Ireland next year and has every chance of getting capped.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    ClanofLams;101875389

except the "muldowney theory" (I doubt lock matters in himself in pivotal role), explain me why Cannon should be ahead of almighty Dillane

I did explain, nothing to do with muldowney role, it's about calling the lineout which Lam said last season Roux & Dillane weren't able to do. If they still both can't then they won't start together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

Supposedly Lam was offered over 700,000 a year. Couldn't turn that down.

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    Can't see Tom McCartney leaving at this point. I would imagine he has designs on the 2019 RWC. He qualifies for Ireland next year and has every chance of getting capped.
    Agree thanks to Best age, but could move to another province though

ClanofLams wrote: »
    ClanofLams;101875389

I did explain, nothing to do with muldowney role, it's about calling the  lineout which Lam said last season Roux & Dillane weren't able to do. If they still both can't then they won't start together.
    Roux has done it more and more, it has gone well since McCartney is back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭testtech05

Nift wrote: »
    Supposedly Lam was offered over 700,000 a year. Couldn't turn that down.

Never in a million years would he get paid that...... I know boards do rumours, but not a chance.

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Never in a million years would he get paid that...... I know boards do rumours, but not a chance.

Being reported by the Irish Times and other outlets - "in the region of €750,000". Not a boards rumour...

• Advertisement

Not in a million years.

They would not have to pay him that...... what would he be on at Connacht? 200k top whack. Not a chance that he is getting treble his money. Double maybe, but 750k not a hope.

For context, if they paid Lam that I'm pretty sure he'd be the highest paid coach in the world which is why it's a little difficult to believe. If he's getting it, fair play to him and Bristol are morons.

Eddie Jones is rumoured to be on around £500k and works for the wealthiest union in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Bazzo wrote: »
    Low blow there swiwi. To be fair nothing I said was false, we spent half of last season listening to Lam being linked to clubs and then we were hearing Meyer was to come in and coach Bristol, then it was going to be Lancaster and finally Lam. Bit of boy who cried wolf reaction.

I think you're inferring more than I intended. I simply read your post and thought ouch!

At the end of the day when provinces take they also have to give sometimes. Pat is neither Irish nor from Connacht and is a professional coach with a family to feed etc...just like us all.

Sounds like it was a better salary than what Connacht could match so economics (and maybe a new challenge) came into play for Pat.

The real doozie though is Aki, he clearly doesn't do irony on social media.

Buer wrote: »
    For context, if they paid Lam that I'm pretty sure he'd be the highest paid coach in the world which is why it's a little difficult to believe. If he's getting it, fair play to him and Bristol are morons.

Eddie Jones is rumoured to be on around £500k and works for the wealthiest union in the world.

Exactly, and Eddie Jones broke a contract that he had with the Stormers to go and coach England. Lam to be given £250k more than a top international manager?

Break the world record for a coach's salary to go coach a club in the Championship? Really? Just a crazy figure.

Exactly, and Eddie Jones broke a contract that he had with the Stormers to go and coach England. Lam to be given £250k more than a top international manager?

Break the world record for a coach's salary to go coach a club in the Championship? Really? Just a crazy figure.

RFU bought Jones out of the Stormers contract

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Wasn't it reported recently that schmit is on 700k. I'd imagine Jones is on likewise.

Lake1989 wrote: »
    RFU bought Jones out of the Stormers contract

I know. Still reneging on a contract in my eyes.

Bristol would have to pay compensation to IRFU as well.

Not fulfilling the contract that you have signed with your current employers and getting your new paymasters just shows that money is the reason. It was Eddie's and I would assume that it is Lam's as well. A lot of people would say that you can't blame him. It is up to the individual at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Thing is, Bristol are financed by a billionaire well known for throwing money at his pet teams to achieve the results he wants. Nothing would surprise...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Hard to begrudge Pat taking the Bristol job. I'm sure he's been offered silly money even though Bristol will likely go down this season. Owner there has deep pockets and little sense. Would have been nice if Pat didn't leave mid-contract but these things rarely work out like that. Just hope he doesn't look to take a scatter of Connacht players with him. Transition will be tough enough as it is.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

The 750k being quoted is euros. Would be about 600k sterling

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Hard to begrudge Pat taking the Bristol job. I'm sure he's been offered silly money even though Bristol will likely go down this season. Owner there has deep pockets and little sense. Would have been nice if Pat didn't leave mid-contract but these things rarely work out like that. Just hope he doesn't look to take a scatter of Connacht players with him. Transition will be tough enough as it is.

Didn't Bristol fire one of their coaches very early in his tenure recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Stheno wrote: »

Andy Robinson? But he was head coach since 12/13 so guessing you mean someone else?

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Andy Robinson? But he was head coach since 12/13 so guessing you mean someone else?

You're right, he was let go this year shortly after signing a new three year contract

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/37833944

yes and part of the problem they have is when they got promoted in may, they couldnt really sign any top level players because they were already done and dusted deals with other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I know. Still reneging on a contract in my eyes.

Bristol would have to pay compensation to IRFU as well.

Not fulfilling the contract that you have signed with your current employers and getting your new paymasters just shows that money is the reason. It was Eddie's and I would assume that it is Lam's as well. A lot of people would say that you can't blame him. It is up to the individual at the end of the day

This.

It's a bit hard to be asking players to commit themselves and #bleedgreen when the coach jumps shop early for a paycheque. Of course he's got a family to consider and I'm very sure it was an extremely difficult decision, but I can't help but feel very bitter about it all.

If it was at the end of his contract we'd slap him on the back, have a hooley and wish him well. Leaving early like this just undermines a lot of what he's appeared to stand for over the last few years.

I just hope the squad can help their heads in the game over the coming weekends. There'll be few better tests of Pat's process...

ON a side note does anyone think the likes of Akis behaviour today on Twitter is the sort of stuff Joe would frown upon?

Nobody in here is talking about Kidney or ROG. Controversial, but have to drop the names

Prendergast too

ON a side note does anyone think the likes of Akis behaviour today on Twitter is the sort of stuff Joe would frown upon?

Ah jaysus. He posted 2 words, "Feeling pissed". You'd swear he had gone off on a rant and posted a load of tweets the way some people are going on. I'd say it wouldn't even register on Joe's radar. Some people just like to stir the pot I guess, if two words is all it takes they have little to be doing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Nobody in here is talking about Kidney or ROG. Controversial, but have to drop the names

Why kidney ? I don't know if Rog would. Maybe a Jackman Rog partnership.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement