Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah jaysus. He posted 2 words, "Feeling pissed". You'd swear he had gone off on a rant and posted a load of tweets the way some people are going on. I'd say it wouldn't even register on Joe's radar. Some people just like to stir the pot I guess, if two words is all it takes they have little to be doing...
    It really depends. Is he allowed to feel pissed in the week before a big European game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

It really depends. Is he allowed to feel pissed in the week before a big European game?

As far as I'm aware feelings are only banned 72 hours before games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

The main advantage of Jackman, whatever Dubliners think of him, is FCG is going to be relegated, which means that he would bring 2 or 3 IQ players just where we need : sub LH (Coulson), centre (Farrell), and maybe a lock (if there's a relegation clause in his contract, someone named Aly!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Kidney hasn't a notion of getting back into rugby I would think and would make zero sense in terms of continuity, very different gameplans.

I doubt ROG will want a job back in Ireland unless it's with Munster but more likely than kidney.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

connachta wrote: »
    The main advantage of Jackman, whatever Dubliners think of him, is FCG is going to be relegated, which means that he would bring 2 or 3 IQ players just where we need : sub LH (Coulson), centre (Farrell), and maybe a lock (if there's a relegation clause in his contract, someone named Aly!)

Farrell is off to Munster. To be honest Jackmans record isn't good so I would hope it's not him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah Jackman would be a questionable signing.

I didn't know Lam had a year to run on his contract so him leaving is very strange. Completely out of the blue too, there was no speculation about the move beforehand.

I wonder if Eddie O'Sullivan would even bother applying for the role this time.

ClanofLams wrote: »

To be honest Jackmans record isn't good so I would hope it's not him.
    Grenoble coaches do not so bad with the players they have, and play Connacht style. Continuity it would be.
    But I'd prefer someone who muscles our forwards game (support mainly)

Prendergast from Grenoble to Connacht skills coach to assist McPhillips would be nice though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'm going to go ahead and suggest Eddie O'Sullivan on account of the ease of his commute, as is tradition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I'm going to go ahead and suggest Eddie O'Sullivan on account of the ease of his commute, as is tradition

Get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

Nobody in here is talking about Kidney or ROG. Controversial, but have to drop the names

Yeah those guys are good and so are all the other names that have been mentioned today but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the person who is obviously best for the job.

A man who has lived and breathed Connacht for years.
    A man who can see the potential in the younger guys in our squad.
    A man who is continually able to reinvent himself

Ladies and gentlemen of boards I give you the next manager of Connacht

b.gud wrote: »
    Nobody in here is talking about Kidney or ROG. Controversial, but have to drop the names

Yeah those guys are good and so are all the other names that have been mentioned today but I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the person who is obviously best for the job.

Ready for a new march to avoid Connacht to be disbanded in 2 years? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Kimmage will be happy.
    He was just on the last word saying the lack of talk about O'Sullivan was insulting.

I wouldn't be happy with ROG. We can't have someone in the top job who has a clear long term ambition that lies elsewhere.
    That's fine for kicking or skills but not the top job.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

b.gud wrote: »

I reckon that's a permaban for you:pac:

More seriously but still funny, one coach fired by Bristol despite promotion was interested (but turned down) in Connacht job when Lam was chosen : it's Sean Holley, would you think he'd apply for it again?

More seriously but still funny, one coach fired by Bristol despite promotion was interested (but turned down) in Connacht job when Lam was chosen : it's Sean Holley, would you think he'd apply for it again?
    Another 2013 member of the shortlist, is unavailable, Alex King left Northampton but signed in montpellier for 3 years

Another 2013 member of the shortlist, is unavailable, Alex King left Northampton but signed in montpellier for 3 years

Is there any chance you could post your trawl of out-of-a-job coaches in a single post rather than spamming the forum with one insignificant name after another?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭aled

Treadhead wrote: »
    This.

It's a bit hard to be asking players to commit themselves and #bleedgreen when the coach jumps shop early for a paycheque. Of course he's got a family to consider and I'm very sure it was an extremely difficult decision, but I can't help but feel very bitter about it all.

If it was at the end of his contract we'd slap him on the back, have a hooley and wish him well. Leaving early like this just undermines a lot of what he's appeared to stand for over the last few years.

I just hope the squad can help their heads in the game over the coming weekends. There'll be few better tests of Pat's process...

The players are all professionals. They fight a cause week in and week out. Fans bleed green. Players/managers play because its a game they love and it is their careers on the line. It is their job. I cannot see any reason why Connacht will be less focused on the Wasps game next weekend. Bundees reaction I suspect is based on signing a new contract in the belief that the person who employed him would continue to manage him. That is a bit naive on his behalf.

To go back to an earlier post of mine about possible bleeding of players with Pat leaving, I hope this doesn't happen. If Pat does bring players with him it would really diminish his legacy. I suspect he will be concious of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Is there any chance you could post your trawl of out-of-a-job coaches in a single post rather than spamming the forum with one insignificant name after another?

ride me sideways was another one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

George Hook might be tempted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ruan Pieenar appointed player coach as the final insult to Awec's miserable 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Rob Penney anybody? Would in theory be a continuation of the Pat Lam style of Rugby that Connacht play!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

What about Colin Cooper? Or the Irish guy coaching at the Hurricanes? Can't remember his name.

FFS it was just about Lam's competitors in 2013! You're harsh on me Zippy these times, is it because I protested again the disrespectful title from Leinster guys ?

Rob Penney anybody? Would in theory be a continuation of the Pat Lam style of Rugby that Connacht play!

been mentioned, I'd be all for it personally

I dont believe that we need a continuation. Jackman/Penney would be a disaster at connacht. What Pat has built would be destroyed by them. What we need is instead is a new tack. Lancaster would be perfect. A more defensive approach. Aly was a once in a lifetime.

Edit: they are lesser coaches who teach the same principles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I wouldn't be happy with ROG. We can't have someone in the top job who has a clear long term ambition that lies elsewhere.

Most coaches have long term ambitions outside of their current role.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

wp_rathead wrote: »
    been mentioned, I'd be all for it personally

+1.

• Advertisement

aled wrote: »

I dont believe that we need a continuation. Jackman/Penney would be a disaster at connacht. What Pat has built would be destroyed by them. What we need is instead is a new tack. Lancaster would be perfect. A more defensive approach. Aly was a once in a lifetime.

Perfectly agree, but there's many names outside an England ex-coach

FFS it was just about Lam's competitors in 2013! You're harsh on me Zippy these times, is it because I protested again the disrespectful title from Leinster guys ?

No, but it makes the forum a lot easier to read if you don't post so many short posts, other conversations are going on and it's hard to know what you're replying to, when you're replying to anyone else and not yourself, etc. The multi-quote function is there for a reason. Constant posts on the same topic from one poster makes the forum painful to read.

is it because I protested again the disrespectful title from Leinster guys ?

What? :confused:

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ruan Pieenar appointed player coach as the final insult to Awec's miserable 2016.
    If this happened the IRFU would end as we know it.

awec wrote: »
    If this happened the IRFU would end as we know it.

Oh, you'd get over it... stop being so dramatic!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

aled wrote:

How is Penney a lesser coach? He won 4 Itm cups in a row, the equivalent of the pro 12 in New Zealand. He had much the same philosophy as Lam and got us to 2 consecutive Heineken cup semis.
    I think he'd be a great fit for Connacht if Carolan isn't seen as the replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Sorry to see Lam leave these shores, but he's earned his payday and the right to choose wherever he likes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

aled wrote: »
    To go back to an earlier post of mine about possible bleeding of players with Pat leaving, I hope this doesn't happen. If Pat does bring players with him it would really diminish his legacy. I suspect he will be concious of this.

No, once he's gone, he's gone. If taking Connacht players improves his chances at Bristol then absolutely he'll do it. I don't see it happening too much though.

Ok Zippy, here are my 10 names at once inside a table with order of preference

Mark McCall[/td]
    Saracencs Irish head coach, out of contract after a renewal in 2014[/td]
    [/tr]
    Nigel Carolan[/td]
    Ireland U20 coach, ex Connacht Academy having raised Henshaw, Bealham, Marmion etc..[/td]
    [/tr]
    Sean Holley[/td]
    Approached in 2013, ex Ospreys and Bristol successful coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jack White[/td]
    Released by Montpellier this spring[/td]
    [/tr]
    Mike Ruddock[/td]
    Ex Wales and Ireland U20 coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jason Holland[/td]
    Hurricanes assistant coach, Irish head coach of the New Zealand Schools side[/td]
    [/tr]
    Rob Penney[/td]
    Ex Munster, Canterbury coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Bernard Jackman[/td]
    Nearly relegated Grenoble coach, Connacht style[/td]
    [/tr]
    Andy Farrell[/td]
    Defence coach for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia, contracted with IRFU until RWC.[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jeremy Davidson[/td]
    Aurillac coach, great balence of play, but contracted until 2022 in theory[/td]
    [/tr]

Table didn't resit to edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

As far as I'm aware feelings are only banned 72 hours before games
    I fear I was too subtle. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Is it fair to say Connacht will be closest to full strength this weekend than they have been all season? Barring Heally and Ronaldson who may be doubtful, we'll have a first choice 15.

Is it fair to say Connacht will be closest to full strength this weekend than they have been all season? Barring Heally and Ronaldson who may be doubtful, we'll have a first choice 15.

Masterson would be in starting XV
    Could argue Andrew Browne aswell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Mark McCall: he's not going to move from Sarries anytime soon
    Nigel Carolan: does he have any Senior head coaching experience
    Sean Holley: Dunno him
    Jack White: if you get him he'll be gone after a year
    Mike Ruddock: is he still coaching?
    Jason Holland: can't see him wanting to move from the 'Canes
    Rob Penney: would be a good appointment
    Bernard Jackman: not quite my tempo
    Andy Farrell: not sure how much club coaching experience he has
    Jeremy Davidson: dunno how he's getting on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

No betting available on PP anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

That's very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    That's very odd.

Could we have an announcement very soon I wonder.

Could we have an announcement very soon I wonder.

Willie Ruane on Off The Ball said he only found out about it on Friday so it would be amazing for them to have found someone so soon.

Unless it's Eddie O'Sullivan, he only lives down the road after all.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Willie Ruane on Off The Ball said he only found out about it on Friday so it would be amazing for them to have found someone so soon.

Unless it's Eddie O'Sullivan, he only lives down the road after all.

Get out!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Get out!

Can you not come up with something better?

case885 wrote: »
    How is Penney a lesser coach? He won 4 Itm cups in a row, the equivalent of the pro 12 in New Zealand. He had much the same philosophy as Lam and got us to 2 consecutive Heineken cup semis.
    I think he'd be a great fit for Connacht if Carolan isn't seen as the replacement.
    I don't want to see the SAME at Connacht. pat has done his thing. its a time to move on. the same is the same. very happy what pat did. next please

The traders are gone home.
    They won't leave a mickey mouse thing like that for the overnight lads to look after.

I wouldn't be reading too much into what's they have up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Eddie O'Sullivan trending on twitter...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement