Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

While not ideal I would be sure the timing of this is not Pat's doing or Connachts doing but Bristol.
    Bristol sacked their coach a few weeks ago yet Lam isn't going to be arriving until next season. That really sounds like they're throwing in the towel on this season and looking to build again from the summer.
    Now no action may not sit well with stakeholders at Bristol so they would have needed an announcement of some sort of intent to keep people happy and that the club aren't just meandering to nowhere hence why they were always going to announce asap.
    Once Bristol announce Connachts hands are fairly tied, it's just unfortunate it's this week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

This might sound odd and I know Pat Lam has been great for Connacht but if Nigel Carolan takes over I'd be more worried about finding someone as competent at scouting and spotting talented players and young player development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

I see we are now in the 5th reincarnation of the same account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

connachta wrote: »
    Ok Zippy, here are my 10 names at once inside a table with order of preference

Mark McCall[/td]
    Saracencs Irish head coach, out of contract after a renewal in 2014[/td]
    [/tr]
    Nigel Carolan[/td]
    Ireland U20 coach, ex Connacht Academy having raised Henshaw, Bealham, Marmion etc..[/td]
    [/tr]
    Sean Holley[/td]
    Approached in 2013, ex Ospreys and Bristol successful coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jack White[/td]
    Released by Montpellier this spring[/td]
    [/tr]
    Mike Ruddock[/td]
    Ex Wales and Ireland U20 coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jason Holland[/td]
    Hurricanes assistant coach, Irish head coach of the New Zealand Schools side[/td]
    [/tr]
    Rob Penney[/td]
    Ex Munster, Canterbury coach[/td]
    [/tr]
    Bernard Jackman[/td]
    Nearly relegated Grenoble coach, Connacht style[/td]
    [/tr]
    Andy Farrell[/td]
    Defence coach for the 2013 Lions tour to Australia, contracted with IRFU until RWC.[/td]
    [/tr]
    Jeremy Davidson[/td]
    Aurillac coach, great balence of play, but contracted until 2022 in theory[/td]
    [/tr]

Table didn't resit to edit

Does this mean Sean Holley is 3rd on your list? That's mad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

He's the most available so it makes him realistic, and acheived ok where others failed : Ospreys and Bristol
    But he seems attached to Wales and turned the job down once... Connacht is pretty different from what it was 3 years ago though

He's the most available so it makes him realistic, and acheived ok where others failed : Ospreys and Bristol
    But he seems attached to Wales and turned the job down once... Connacht is pretty different from what it was 3 years ago though

What has he achieved where others have failed exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd take Jackman over Holley tbh. Holley underachieved with a brilliant Ospreys squad, they made zero impact in Europe.

What has he achieved where others have failed exactly?
    Bristol promotion with a brillant style of play last season, more dominant than the seasons before with pretty much the same squad, I'm convinced the relagation wouldn't have been so likely with him kept in charge. Just ok with Ospreys, but still great European wins during his period.

McCall should be 1st target, even with slim chances. He knows the quality of our squad  : quote from the Indo in May
    Saracens' Champions Cup-winning coach Mark McCall believes Connacht have been one of the stories of the year.
      And the former Irish centre, who masterminded Saracens' 21-9 win over Racing 92 in Lyon last weekend, has paid Pat Lam's men the highest compliment by stating that no team will want to meet them in the Champions Cup next season.
    "Of all the Irish provinces, Connacht are the team that nobody wants to get in their group next year.
    "What a success story that has been, and Pat Lam deserves so much credit for achieving what he has achieved," said McCall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

McCall isn't happening. Don't think Jackman or Holley are up to standard.

Its Carolan v External candidates I reckon. Connacht in a better place than ever before so should hopefully attract high calibre applications.

External candidates likely to bring greater experience but would likely want to transform style of play whilst Carolan would offer a much smoother transition with his knowledge of players and also favouring an expansive gameplan.

Hopefully they make the right call, I'd say it will be February at least before it's announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

No betting available on PP anymore.
    Seems ok now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ahhhh jaysus.

Am I really reading suggestions that Mark McCall would leave the current European and English champions, top of the Premiership table, for Connacht??

Ridiculous. I'm sorry to be a dick but there's no other word for it. You might as well say that Steve Hansen should be the target, or maybe that Eddie Jones guy, do you think he'd be interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Ahhhh jaysus.

Am I really reading suggestions that Mark McCall would leave the current European and English champions, top of the Premiership table, for Connacht??

Ridiculous. I'm sorry to be a dick but there's no other word for it. You might as well say that Steve Hansen should be the target, or maybe that Eddie Jones guy, do you think he'd be interested?

I hear what you're saying but O'Connells is great for a few pints, plus if he comes over for the interview now we've got the beer tent so I don't see how he couldn't take the job ;)

Ahhhh jaysus.

If Pat Lam is willing to take a humungous backwards step from "Pro 12 Champions and possibly best team in Europe" Connacht down to lowly "sure noone has actually ever heard of them do they even exist" Bristol then surely Mark McCall, failed Ulster coach and probable bastard, would be willing to do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I think Leinsters last search for a manager and how it panned out, would be a guideline of the caliber of manager a PRO 12 team can attract. Anyone who is good enough for premiership or top 14, simply isn't going to be interested. Carolan is probably the best choice, given what he knows of the setup. I'm not sure saying Jackman isn't good enough is fair comment, given his experience, not sure about his style of play though. At least Connacht have a bit more time to look around though, so I would think it might be towards the end of the season, by the time a decision is made.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

stephen_n wrote: »
    I think Leinsters last search for a manager and how it panned out, would be a guideline of the caliber of manager a PRO 12 team can attract. Anyone who is good enough for premiership or top 14, simply isn't going to be interested. Carolan is probably the best choice, given what he knows of the setup. I'm not sure saying Jackman isn't good enough is fair comment, given his experience, not sure about his style of play though. At least Connacht have a bit more time to look around though, so I would think it might be towards the end of the season, by the time a decision is made.
    But we the "How do you solve a problem like Leo?" aspect to the replacement process.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Robbo wrote: »
    But we the "How do you solve a problem like Leo?" aspect to the replacement process.

It was Leo's appointment I was referring too, that occurred because of a lack of viable candidates. Which is why I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Carolan get it. Though you have much longer to sort it than we did. Maybe there's an assistant in super rugby looking to step up, but it's not going to be a current premiership or T14 manager, I'd imagine.

Leinsters search was very hurried though whereas Connacht obviously have plenty of time. And since then, Dave Rennie has agreed to join Glasgow. So I think the Pro12 can attract a good level of coaches, albeit if it comes down to pro/England/France the money of the latter two will obviously win out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Willie Ruane on Off The Ball said he only found out about it on Friday so it would be amazing for them to have found someone so soon.

Unless it's Eddie O'Sullivan, he only lives down the road after all.

Was only able to catch snippets but very interesting interview. He gave a decent insight into the process of recruiting a replacement.

It won't be a Connacht decision or an IRFU one but a collective one to best identify the right candidate. Nucifora will sit down with Connacht to review. Ruane said that Nucifora has been massively supportive of all Connacht's efforts since arriving. Nucifora could do with some good PR from someone who has actually dealt with him regularly.

EOS was quite non-committal on whether he'd apply or not but seemed resigned to him being an unlikely appointment. He was quite candid in his comments. He was asked if he'd spoken to IRFU brass in relation to him being stonewalled and admitted he had and that he was told that he was in good standing with them but simply wasn't the man they were looking for when he sought the Munster and Connacht jobs in the past. I get the impression he's accepting he'll never work in Ireland again.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Leinsters search was very hurried though whereas Connacht obviously have plenty of time. And since then, Dave Rennie has agreed to join Glasgow. So I think the Pro12 can attract a good level of coaches, albeit if it comes down to pro/England/France the money of the latter two will obviously win out.

I'm still in shock at that coup for Glasgow.

I can only assume that, with a name like Rennie, he has family in the area. Because otherwise that hire gives me indigestion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Buer wrote: »

I can only assume that, with a name like Rennie, he has family in the area. Because otherwise that hire gives me indigestion.
    Closely pipped John Gaviscon to the post.

Yeah quite possibly, being able to make appointments early obviously helps too, some guys just like to have things sorted.

I know Lam said in an interview that was a factor for him, he was in the mix for other positions too but Connacht were able to make an offer in January IIRC.

I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned as a contender but.....there's a RWC and HEC winning coach who is very much available. He is hugely experienced and has had a successful stint with a less fashionable Pro12 club in the past that saw them punch above their weight.

In fact, there's a lovely symmetry involved if Connacht were to appoint him...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This. Leinster literally a couple of months to find a replacement, i.e. June and July. Connacht have time to go and find the right coach now which would make all the difference.

Not only that but the circumstances are quite different too. Lam got a lot of really positive recognition for his work that led to him getting a new job with big money. That in itself would draw interest from certain coaches. As opposed to a guy who was basically sacked from a club with high expectations when he couldn't meet them.

I'm surprised he hasn't been mentioned as a contender but.....there's a RWC and HEC winning coach who is very much available. He is hugely experienced and has had a successful stint with a less fashionable Pro12 club in the past that saw them punch above their weight.

OK I can't think of who it is, care to tell us

• Subscribers Posts: 41,942 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

are you talking about JD ?

b.gud wrote: »
    OK I can't think of who it is, care to tell us

Oh, sorry...yeah that'd be handy. Andy Robinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Ahhhh jaysus.

One poster, but sure let's go off on one :rolleyes:

Yeah quite possibly, being able to make appointments early obviously helps too, some guys just like to have things sorted.

I know Lam said in an interview that was a factor for him, he was in the mix for other positions too but Connacht were able to make an offer in January IIRC.
    This needed time was forseen by a clause inside Lam's contract : he had to make his departure call 6 months before he leaves

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    Ahhhh jaysus.

One poster, but sure let's go off on one :rolleyes:
    McCall could care about being Ireland coach in 2019, then 2 years back in the country, to prove his real value with a low budget skillful squad, would be the correct call. Could assist Joe before RWC as special advisor in the meantime too. I know chances are slim but not ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Doesn't the existence of a six-month notice clause raise the possibility that Bristol wouldn't have had to buy him out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Doesn't the existence of a six-month notice clause raise the possibility that Bristol wouldn't have had to buy him out?

Still leaving contract a year early so I would imagine there would have to have been some compensation paid....

testtech05 wrote: »

Still leaving contract a year early so I would imagine there would have to have been some compensation paid....
    Not if it was a 2+1 in option contract

2nd hand reports from the Bristol press said Lam rejected the contract-buying possibility, as he refuses to come with immediate effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,170 ✭✭✭testtech05

Not if it was a 2+1 in option contract

At the time it was reported he was to stay until at least 2018 but could have been the case I guess. http://www.connachtrugby.ie/connacht-confirm-new-three-year-deal-for-head-coach-pat-lam/#ConnachtNews

Anyway hopefully the board and irfu can get the decision as right this time as they did with Pat, that's the main thing for me right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If Pat Lam is willing to take a humungous backwards step from "Pro 12 Champions and possibly best team in Europe" Connacht down to lowly "sure noone has actually ever heard of them do they even exist" Bristol then surely Mark McCall, failed Ulster coach and probable bastard, would be willing to do the same?

Oh come on, that's unfair. He's with Saracens, there's nothing "probable" about it...

;)

Zzippy wrote: »

Oh come on, that's unfair. He's with Saracens, there's nothing "probable" about it...

;)
    I'd love even more to have him now, just to see how furious all the other provincial fans are :D

Listened back to Conor McGuinness (Chair of the Professional Game Board) on liveline yesterday there. He said Connacht were intent on keeping their current brand of rugby under new coach and that as part of contingency planning, they have a shortlist drawn up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Listened back to Conor McGuinness (Chair of the Professional Game Board) on liveline yesterday there. He said Connacht were intent on keeping their current brand of rugby under new coach and that as part of contingency planning, they have a shortlist drawn up.

Good news. I wonder when we will see the shortlist ? Probably when all persons on the list are contacted to see if they are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Might be of interest....

Johnny O'Connor joins Galway United backroom team as strength & conditioning coach

They had the squad and potential signings/re-signings in on Sunday doing preliminary fitness tests. Start as you mean to go on...

Pre-season proper doesn't start until the New Year more than likely. Great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Liveline as in Joe Duffy?

wp_rathead wrote: »

Liveline as in Joe Duffy?

Oops sorry meant drivetime.

http://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/rteradiowebpage.html#!rii=9:10655883:83:05-12-2016
    26 mins in

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Good news. I wonder when we will see the shortlist ? Probably when all persons on the list are contacted to see if they are interested.

Doubt they'll make it public although it might leak like last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭macslash

I blame myself. Was in Bristol over the weekend. It's a nice town and found myself thinking I wouldn't mind taking in a game if ever over again as the place just reminded me of home a bit. Never in a million years imagined the announcement on Monday morning...:/

Gutted to say the least. Hope the replacement is up to it. Full steam ahead for Wasps now!

• Advertisement

David Humphreys not much mentioned here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

David Humphreys not much mentioned here...

Isn't his role more behind the scenes than actual on the field coaching?

You'd be looking at having to hire him and a head coach.

The Archives of Pain, Week 13. New information in bold.

Player|Injury|Date of Injury|Expected Return
    Marnitz Boshoff|Shoulder|Treviso (H)|Scan Results Pending
    Craig Ronaldson|Thigh|Cardiff (H)|Mid-January
    Andrew Browne|Ankle-Surgery|Dragons (A)|February
    Rory Moloney|Concussion|AIL|Protocols
    Shane O'Leary|Concussion|Training|Protocols
    Eoin Griffin|Chest|AIL (Early November)|March
    Ivan Soroka|Foot|AIL|Mid January
    Josh Rowland|Ankle - Surgery|Unknown|January
    Ben Marshall|Concussion|Last Season|Unknown
    Eoghan Masterson|Knee|Last Season|December
    Darragh Leader|Hand|Pre-Season|February

Niyi, Dillane, Bealham and Marmion should all be back. Healy and Loughney have re-integrated into training.

I see the 750k p/a has more or less been confirmed.

Does anyone have a ball park figure for the roles in Ireland and in particular ours?.
    100k?.

Robbo wrote: »
    The Archives of Pain, Week 13. New information in bold.

Niyi, Dillane, Bealham and Marmion should all be back. Healy and Loughney have re-integrated into training.

Here's the official update

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement