Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Ronaldson out until Mid January. Feck it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

without ronaldson, boshoff or o'leary who covers 10?
    and how is this happening again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭tobdom

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Good question - if they were adding to their already named CC squads you would have imagined it would have been reported like in this article: http://www.epcrugby.com/news/34060.php#.WEgfYWpDT4Y

So coverage must be coming from what's already there/named. We're light......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭b.gud

Maybe Buckley can become a part time out half to go with his part time flanker and part time scrum half roles :)

b.gud wrote: »
    Maybe Buckley can become a part time out half to go with his part time flanker and part time scrum half roles :)

I think you'll find Bealham is ahead of buckley in the scrum half pecking order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think you'll find Bealham is ahead of buckley in the scrum half pecking order.

Nah, Buckley is definitely the better passer. Bealham is your man for an offload.

On the squad update: Nothing says "Welcome to Connacht, Marnitz!" like getting injured in your second match and being unsure of a return date.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Nah, Buckley is definitely the better passer. Bealham is your man for an offload.

On the squad update: Nothing says "Welcome to Connacht, Marnitz!" like getting injured in your second match and being unsure of a return date.

Bealham's box kicking though. That's why joe keeps him around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/pat-lam-saying-goodbye-to-axel-was-key-in-my-decision-to-move-1.2896546

I didn't think i'd get to the acceptance stage of grief so quick but **** it - he has come out with massive integrity and respect despite moving for money.

He is like a super hero or some thing -  Captain Integreto.

NOW LETS GET THIS SEASON BACK ON TRACK!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Aki12

Cooney to start v wasps so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

Aki12 wrote: »
    I actually think that is our best starting half back combo.
    Quite happy with that to start the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mysticmick

I actually think that is our best starting half back combo.
    Quite happy with that to start the game.
    Fade to Jack......

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭Evil_g

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/pro12/pat-lam-saying-goodbye-to-axel-was-key-in-my-decision-to-move-1.2896546

I didn't think i'd get to the acceptance stage of grief so quick but **** it - he has come out with massive integrity and respect despite moving for money.

Class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I got a bit emotional reading that story, I have so much more respect and admiration for the man now. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Marmion on the wing

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Marmion on the wing

Marmion, Niyi, and Tiernan our international back three :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Moflojo wrote: »
    I got a bit emotional reading that story, I have so much more respect and admiration for the man now. Fair play to him.

Me too, weirdly enough. A man in his forties shouldn't be feeling his mortality, but his family and Foley's tragedy have put him in a place where he needs to be realistic.

Connacht Ireland will benefit massively from what he achieved here - now he will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Am I mistaken or did Blade end up at outhalf at some stage last season? It could have been on the wing but certain a chuckle was had at some point because of how easily he slotted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,974 ✭✭✭connachta

Am I mistaken or did Blade end up at outhalf at some stage last season? It could have been on the wing but certain a chuckle was had at some point because of how easily he slotted in.
    Nobody noticed O'Leary was still on protocols in the last update. I guess he's ok, if not it's up to Blade/Cooney to cover outhalf.
    EDIT : sorry missed the end of previous page
    Happy about Carty to start

So I know there are the "Cannon-fits-Lam-Strategy-fans", but my team would be

1) Buck
    2) McC
    3) Beal
    4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) Muldoon
    9) Cooney (kicker)
    10) Carty
    11) Kelleher
    12) Ili or Aki (depends on where it's easier to tackle in our defensive structure)
    13) Aki or Ili (depends on where it's easier to tackle in our defensive structure)
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

17) J.P Cooney
    18) Carey
    19) Cannon
    20) SOB
    21) Marmion
    22) O'Leary (can cover 10 to 14)
    23) Healy/Poolman/Parata/Robb (in that order)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

connachta wrote: »

1) Buck
    2) McC
    3) Beal
    4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) Muldoon
    9) Cooney (kicker)
    10) Carty
    11) Kelleher
    12) Ili or Aki (depends on where it's easier to tackle in our defensive structure)
    13) Aki or Ili (depends on where it's easier to tackle in our defensive structure)
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

17) J.P Cooney
    18) Carey
    19) Cannon
    20) SOB
    21) Marmion
    22) O'Leary (can can 10 to 14)
    That should liven up the last quarter of the match :D

cancan-4.jpg

1) Buck
    2) McC
    3) Beal
    4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) Muldoon
    9) Cooney (kicker)
    10) Carty
    11) Kelleher
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

17) J.P Cooney
    18) Carey
    19) Cannon
    20) SOB
    21) Marmion
    22) O'Leary (can can 10 to 14)
    That should liven up the last quarter of the match :D

cancan-4.jpg
    OH FFS I'm tired! but I deserved it

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

1) Buck
    2) McC
    3) Beal
    4) Dillane
    5) Roux
    6) Nepia
    7) Heenan
    8) Muldoon
    9) Cooney (kicker)
    10) Carty
    11) Kelleher
    14) Niyi
    15) TOH

17) J.P Cooney
    18) Carey
    19) Cannon
    20) SOB
    21) Marmion
    22) O'Leary (can cover 10 to 14)
    Unfortunately I've struggled to see more then a couple of Connacht games this season. Peter Robb's forms must be on a downward curve at the moment if lli is likely to start ahead of him. I know there was a game recently were apparently he dropped a crazy amount of ball, but apart from that game what has his form been like this season?

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've struggled to see more then a couple of Connacht games this season. Peter Robb's forms must be on a downward curve at the moment if lli is likely to start ahead of him. I know there was a game recently were apparently he dropped a crazy amount of ball, but apart from that game what has his form been like this season?

He was actually doing reasonably well up until that Dragons away game where he had something crazy like 5 knock ons. We all know how much emphasis Pat puts on skills so he obviously wasn't too impressed and there's been no sign of him since, but he's young and has a lot of talent as well as probably being the single best physical specimen at the province so I've no doubt he'll be back before too long.

Ili is kind of the opposite of Robb in a lot of ways. Lethal going forward but a lot of the time nothing more than a speedbump in defence. He is capable of tackling and has put in a few fairly big hits but he seems to miss more than hit.

He was actually doing reasonably well up until that Dragons away game where he had something crazy like 5 knock ons. We all know how much emphasis Pat puts on skills so he obviously wasn't too impressed and there's been no sign of him since, but he's young and has a lot of talent as well as probably being the single best physical specimen at the province so I've no doubt he'll be back before too long.

Ili is kind of the opposite of Robb in a lot of ways. Lethal going forward but a lot of the time nothing more than a speedbump in defence. He is capable of tackling and has put in a few fairly big hits but he seems to miss more than hit.
    Good summary but Robb made 7 knock-ons on that day I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Johngoose

Presume wasps are going to win?They do have a number of injured players though.

• Advertisement

Johngoose wrote: »
    Not that many. A BP would be great (offensive one is more likely IMO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Robb and few other players have exams this week which may be why not involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Looks like Kurtley Beale may be making his debut for Wasps this weekend

Looks like Kurtley Beale may be making his debut for Wasps this weekend
    Yeah maybe on the bench. Game over.
    At least no Haskell

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Johngoose wrote: »

Wasps are heavy favourites with the bookies for what that's worth. A 15-point handicap sounds excessive but that's what PP are going with.

I think our setpieces will match them. Speed of handling/running too. For having seen them play last week, our issue will be about physicality. Their defence is a wall, always trying to turn the ball over. And our weakness is ruck protection+scramble defence after the loss of possession...

Dawai and Robb both on training pics, do you guys think they have outside chances to be ahead of SOB/Ili for n°20 and n°12?

Dawai and Robb both on training pics, do you guys think they have outside chances to be ahead of SOB/Ili for n°20 and n°12?

I wouldn't say they have any more chance because they're in training pics. Everyone fit will be training(unless they have exams as the lost sheep pointed out).

If Pat expects a physical game then I'd say both Dawai and Robb have a shot of being in the 23, though really we have no idea what Dawai will be like in the team yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jono Gibbs appears to be a potential Lam replacement - Leinster fans will know more about him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jono Gibbs appears to be a potential Lam replacement - Leinster fans will know more about him.

Feck off. I have Carolan at 40/1 goddamnit.

If Pat expects a physical game then I'd say both Dawai and Robb have a shot of being in the 23, though really we have no idea what Dawai will be like in the team yet.

It will be a hugely physical game, that's why I asked. SOB is the right man for that, but not Ili compared to Robb as 12. I guess he has to prove in training that his handling improved since Newport mare...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I wanted him as a Schmidt replacement a few years back

Didn't know anything about him but Clermont+New-Zealand+Leinster looks like a good combo! :D

Personally I don't think Dawai is anywhere near a champions cup 23 at the moment. Muldoon, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, McKeon, SOB all ahead of him in terms of experience playing in the team system.

I know that you're excited to see him, but realistically what has he done to justify a place in front of one of the players, one of whom is probably going to miss out anyway.

I'm not trying to knock him it's just that he's a bit of an unknown entity at the minute, similar to Nepia he could turn out to be a great find but it's too early to say that we should play him in one of our biggest games of the season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I'd have been happy with him as Joes replacement at the time. He's a quality forwards coach and he knew our set-up really well. He's well used to coaching teams who look to play (Leinster and Clermont) so could well be a really good option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Dawai isn't in the Champions cup squad.

b.gud wrote: »

Personally I don't think Dawai is anywhere near a champions cup 23 at the moment. Muldoon, Heenan, Fox-Matamua, McKeon, SOB all ahead of him in terms of experience playing in the team system.

I know that you're excited to see him, but realistically what has he done to justify a place in front of one of the players, one of whom is probably going to miss out anyway.

I'm not trying to knock him it's just that he's a bit of an unknown entity at the minute, similar to Nepia he could turn out to be a great find but it's too early to say that we should play him in one of our biggest games of the season
    As I said above, it was more about Robb vs Ili for centre

As I said above, it was more about Robb vs Ili for centre

Fair enough, Robb certainly has a chance but at the moment Pat seems to be preferring Ili, coupled with Robb having exams this week it may mean that he sticks with Ili

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »
    I'd have been happy with him as Joes replacement at the time. He's a quality forwards coach and he knew our set-up really well. He's well used to coaching teams who look to play (Leinster and Clermont) so could well be a really good option.

Any posts promoting candidates other than Carolan should be a bannable offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I like Jonno but he lacks a certain je ne sais quois.

If PP were to start offering 40/1 on him I think he'd probably be more convincing as a candidate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Gibbes is contracted to Clermont until the end of next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Yeah but he has release clause for head coaching position apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Whatever Connacht go to release Lam early may be best spent getting the release of the right person.

• Advertisement

The article seems to indicate he can leave his contract early for a head coach job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement