Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

Gibbes is contracted to Clermont until the end of next season.

The article seems to indicate he can leave his contract early for a head coach job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Whatever Connacht go to release Lam early may be best spent getting the release of the right person.

Connacht did't get anything. Lam was able to terminate his contract by giving 6 months notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd prefer a candidate who would be available to shadow Lam for few months, like Lam did with Elwood
    But I do like the sound of this Gibbes guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Whatever Connacht go to release Lam early may be best spent getting the release of the right person.

I don't believe Connacht got anything to release Lam at all? He had a 6 month notice

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

KBurke85 wrote: »
    Dawai isn't in the Champions cup squad.
    He can be added later though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Are tickets available on the gate for the game sunday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

The game in England???
    Home game is the following Saturday and its already sold out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

This game is in England, not sure if it's sold out or not. The return fixture in Galway next week is sold out though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd love to know where ebcause PP aren't offering odds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Given it's from Murray Kinsella I think it's probably safe to assume that Gibbes is genuinely being looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Other than saying that it's believed he is being looked at as an option there is nothing at all in that article other than some background info on the guy.

And if they are looking for replacements he'd have to be on the list of potentials surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I'd love to know where ebcause PP aren't offering odds!
    Bazzo wrote: »
    Given it's from Murray Kinsella I think it's probably safe to assume that Gibbes is genuinely being looked at.
    molloyjh wrote: »
    Other than saying that it's believed he is being looked at as an option there is nothing at all in that article other than some background info on the guy.

And if they are looking for replacements he'd have to be on the list of potentials surely?

Eh I think I needed a pacman smilie there...

Australian international Beale announced everywhere (hope it's mind game or out-of-breath player). Pick Robb to tackle him if he starts... But would be funny to have  100% Islanders centres facing each others Beale/Leuia vs Aki/Ili
    Cipriani and Eastmond should still be out

Eh I think I needed a pacman smilie there...

No I got it, just pointing out that it's not the usual unreliable whatever.ie ****e :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

connachta wrote: »
    Australian international Beale announced everywhere (hope it's mind game or out-of-breath player). Pick Robb to tackle him if he starts... But would be funny to have  100% Islanders centres facing each others Beale/Leuia vs Aki/Ili
    Cipriani and Eastmond should still be out

Beale is not an islander.

Beale is not an islander.

I suppose TECHNICALLY he's from an island. So he is an islander in the same way that Peter Robb is an islander :D

Presumed he or his familily was from one of the Pacific Island, but my bad, if it's not the case

Quesada is free too after he quits Stade Français. Thoughts?

TOH to cover outhalf according to himself on Craggy Island Podcast :pac:
    Played few times there Underage for Connemara but don't think he has played there since, maybe at Garbally?
    Suppose since Henshaw covered there in Grenoble it not unfathomable if SOL out

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Played few times there Underage for Connemara but don't think he has played there since, maybe at Garbally?
    WOW! big bet, imagine Carty injured after 5 minutes... I'd rather have Conor McKeon on the bench...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Lancey Howard

Have we the shortest-named centre partnership in pro-12 history?

WOW! big bet, imagine Carty injured after 5 minutes... I'd rather have Conor McKeon on the bench...

Not in European Squad

Not in European Squad
    Oh FFS Have we made those changes already?
    "Each club may register up to three additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers three additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament."
    Should have  been done before Tuesday noon, anyway.. I  guess SOL is OK...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

"Each club may register up to three additional players during the pool stage, each to replace a player previously registered. If a club registers three additional players, one such player must be a front row player. Additional players must have a three-month contract with the club and must not have played for another club in the tournament."
    Who would you want to take out though? There's a lot of games left. It might be worth limping through a tough game like wasps away if O'Leary is going to be ok next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Yup, won the JC with garbally at OH

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Does anyone know if tickets are available at the gate at the Ricoh?

Does anyone know if tickets are available at the gate at the Ricoh?

It looks like there's still some seats left according to their site.

Assuming the game doesn't sell out I'd imagine you can buy them at the gate but I don't guarantee it.

Might be worth checking over at the connachtclan to see if they know what the story is

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Who would you want to take out though? There's a lot of games left. It might be worth limping through a tough game like wasps away if O'Leary is going to be ok next week.
    The diff between McKeon and SOL is prob. slimer than the one between TOH  and McKeon.
    You can't throw it away this game, even if it's one isolated difficult game. Imagine a last pen to win or get a BP, when Cooney and Carty has gone off...

• Advertisement

The diff between McKeon and SOL is prob. slimer than the one between TOH  and McKeon.
    You can't throw it away this game, even if it's one isolated difficult game. Imagine a last pen to win or get a BP, when Cooney and Carty have gone off...

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Just heard on the radio that Jono Gibbes is being considered as a serious contender to replace Lam

You can't throw it away this game, even if it's one isolated difficult game. Imagine a last pen to win or get a BP, when Cooney and Carty have gone off...

You're forgetting about Bundee :P

Serious answer though, suppose carty did have to go off. the only reason that would have happened is for an injury. If that ruled him out for next week too O'Leary looks like he could be fit but we'd have to go with McKeown. depending on the severity of Boshof's injury it might make more sense to take him or Ronaldson out.

In ronaldson's case it would mean less game time at the back end of the season and he'd be fully committed to chasing qualification for next year.

You're forgetting about Bundee :P

Serious answer though, suppose carty did have to go off. the only reason that would have happened is for an injury.
    Yeah somtime I forget Bundee play N°8 and 12, 13, kicks, and will probably coach Connacht too :D
    About Carty, my question is what happens THIS WEEK if he and Cooney go off? Even in the far end of the game, with a decisive pen to come? 1% chance, but could matter a lot

Yeah somtime I forgot Bundee play N°8 and 12, 13, kicks, and will probably coach Connacht too :D
    About Carty, my question is what happens THIS WEEK if he and Cooney goes off? Even in the far end of the game, with a decisive pen to come? 1% chance, but could matter a lot

I know what you mean. You're saying you have to chase every game. I'm thinking of the campaign as a whole. Wasps away is probably the most difficult game and probably the only one that you can afford to get no points from.
    if mckeown is brought in to cover this week and carty got himself ruled out for a week you'd be in a situation with only McKeown available for a game where you're really shooting for the win.

I'd back carty to play the 80. maybe keep cooney on the bench so at least there's a kicker available throughout the game.

connachta relax! There's no point getting worked up before the team has even been named

I don't see why we should add a player, who isn't even playing in the position you want him to cover anymore and hasn't played any senior games in God knows how long, just for 1 game.

For all his faults Jack is pretty durable, as long as he avoids water slides, so this may not be an issue. And SOL could yet be passed fit

• Advertisement

b.gud wrote: »
    For all his faults Jack is pretty durable, as long as he avoids water slides,

Well he can't have his spleen removed again so he's safe enough.
    do you think they adjusted his weight on the site to account for it......

Yeah somtime I forgot Bundee play N°8 and 12, 13, kicks, and will probably coach Connacht too :D
    About Carty, my question is what happens THIS WEEK if he and Cooney goes off? Even in the far end of the game, with a decisive pen to come? 1% chance, but could matter a lot

I know what you mean. You're saying you have to chase every game. I'm thinking of the campaign as a whole. Wasps away is probably the most difficult game and probably the only one that you can afford to get no points from.
    if mckeown is brought in to cover this week and carty got himself ruled out for a week you'd be in a situation with only McKeown available for a game where you're really shooting for the win.

I'd back carty to play the 80.
    My hypothesis was to remove O'Leary from the squad, Not Carty/Boshoff/Ronaldson, of course
    BTW O'Leary hasn't play 10 for the same long period as McKeon (last season). Wouldn't be that damaging to have one for the other as 4th back-up.

connachta relax!  SOL could yet be passed fit
    I hope he does, if not I'm not relaxed to imagine the slim possibilty to have TOH/Bundee with the tee

maybe keep cooney on the bench so at least there's a kicker available throughout the game.
    No you can't do that, it would mean Carty to kick for most of the game :(

I hope he does, if not I'm not relaxed to imagine the slim possibilty to have TOH/Bundee with the tee

Bundee should be fine from the tee ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKTVIktDLuQ/

• Advertisement

Bundee should be fine from the tee ;)

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKTVIktDLuQ/
    Yeah with no pressure, unconventional kick and short distance...
    Well just guess SOL is all right. The main worry, as Mr Tickle pointed out, is,  if he's not, Cooney would be kept on the bench just in case, and Carty would kick most of the match

Lake1989 wrote: »
    Just heard on the radio that Jono Gibbes is being considered as a serious contender to replace Lam

Yep was mentioned here earlier today afaik it originates from this article the42.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Just listened to Gerry Thornley on Second Captains. He said that Pat has a plan for the Wasps game this weekend, similar to the one they had for the game in Toulouse 3 years ago. He said that Wasps have been wiping the floor with teams in the Prem because premiership teams kick the ball back to them. Connacht game plan will probably involve a lot of running balls out of our own 22. 
    Had a look on a Wasps board. They are expecting the team to look something like this. 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Mullan [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Taylor [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Moore [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Launchberry[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Myall [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Reider [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Young [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Hughes [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Robson [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Cipriani[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Halai [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. Gopperth[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Leiua [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Wade [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. Miller [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kurtly Beale is expected to be on the bench. [/font]

We need to move on from Pat Lam's accountment and try and enjoy these next couple of weeks and months. These next few games are amongst the biggest that Connacht have ever played we should be focused on them not Pat's decision.

Just listened to Gerry Thornley on Second Captains. He said that Pat has a plan for the Wasps game this weekend, similar to the one they had for the game in Toulouse 3 years ago . He said that Wasps have been wiping the floor with teams in the Prem because premiership teams kick the ball back to them. Connacht game plan will probably involve a lot of running balls out of our own 22. 
    Had a look on a Wasps board. They are expecting the team to look something like this. 

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Mullan [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Taylor [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Moore [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Launchberry[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Myall [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Reider [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Young [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. Hughes [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Robson [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Cipriani[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Halai [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12. Gopperth[/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]13. Leiua [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]14. Wade [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]15. Miller [/font]
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Kurtly Beale is expected to be on the bench. [/font]

We need to move on from Pat Lam's accountment and try and enjoy these next couple of weeks and months. These next few games are amongst the biggest that Connacht have ever played we should be focused on them not Pat's decision.

Sounds like as good excuse as any to rewatch that game :D

Running ball... Worcester lost last week because of an intercept try (from Macken btw)

When does optimistic connachta come back? It feels like we've had pessimistic connachta for far too long this cycle :pac:

Cheer up bud, look forward to what should be a cracking game of rugby.

Bazzo wrote: »
    When does optimistic connachta come back? It feels like we've had pessimistic connachta for far too long this cycle :pac:

Cheer up bud, look forward to what should be a cracking game of rugby.
    I do look forward the game, even for 1 and a half month :) just want diversity in our game and wisedom in appreciation (not like Carty pass against Cardiff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Running ball... Worcester lost last week because of an intercept try (from Macken btw)

That was the first minute of the game. Worcester lost because they're rubbish.

That was the first minute of the game. Worcester lost because they're rubbish.
    they ran after those stupid 7 points all along and could easily have snatched the game without them. Tighter then you think. Could be the same this saturday (it's half pessimistic-half opimistic this last sentence ;) ) .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement