Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 229 ✭✭aled

evil_seed wrote: »
    Is the game on tv/radio?

Sky sports 2. I assume rob will be there for galway bay FM also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Is everybody going to Old Windmill tonight? Loads of us about but Coventry is bleak enough.

Yeah I'll be heading there later on anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭mjp

Robb withdraws with injury and Healy on bench now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

mjp wrote: »
    Robb withdraws with injury and Healy on bench now

24th man used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

McKeon kicked the 1st conversion for Eagles ........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

connachta wrote: »

And Cooney took the kicks last week, what do both have in common?

They are both 9s who take the kicks

after looking at the style of rugby clermont played against ulster, the argument for gibbes at connacht is certainly valid

toulouse have the bonus point before half time against zebre. no surprise there

b.gud wrote: »

They have in common they kick probably both better than any guy that will in London t'morrow.

They have in common they kick probably both better than any guy that will in London t'morrow.

So your saying that you want McKeon to play ahead of Marmion tomorrow for his kicking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

McKeon based on what? The try going by Furlo sounds like it was under the posts

So your saying that you want McKeon to play ahead of Marmion tomorrow for his kicking?
    Ahead of
    1) O'Leary in the euro squad, because the latter was out
    2) Robb (and then Healy) or Blade on the bench, to avoid TOH/Parata as possible kickers 4-5 years after their last attempt...
    But yeah, it is what it is, fingers crossed Carty success to the posts is more decent than he was until now, and fingers crossed he lasts 80 minutes

Wasps are pretty much in the same situation with Gopperth and no Cipriani, though

Ahead of
    O'Leary in the euro squad, because the latter was out

So if O'Leary is cleared to play next week and Boshoff is still out and Carty picks up an injury would you still think adding McKeon to the squad is a good idea?

Ahead of
    O'Leary in the euro squad, because the latter was out

So if O'Leary is cleared to play next week and Boshoff is still out and Carty picks up an injury would you still think adding McKeon to the squad is a good idea?
    It's a point but yes I think the risk of ALL those elements to happen is slimer than having a non-kicker forced to kick tomorrow...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

We're becoming very French and I for one welcome our new SH-kicking, cheese eating, baguette wielding overlords.

Conroy apparently having a stormer with two try for Eagles. Academy contract is too late for him?

looking at how leinster dismantled northampton, munster are dismantling leicester, ulster beat the best of the french in clermont, glasgow whipping racing 92 it goes to prove that the pro 12 has some of the best teams in europe, if not funded to the same extent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Yiz may win now :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

aled wrote: »
    looking at how leinster dismantled northampton, munster are dismantling leicester, ulster beat the best of the french in clermont, glasgow whipping racing 92 it goes to prove that the pro 12 has some of the best teams in europe, if not funded to the same extent

looking at the pool tables now, the only Non pro 12 teams topping their groups are Sarcens and Clermont
    We could see 5 teams from the pro 12 in the QFs depending on how Connacht play tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

Ahead of
    2) Robb (and then Healy) or Blade on the bench, to avoid TOH/Parata as possible kickers 4-5 years after their last attempt...
    But yeah, it is what it is, fingers crossed Carty success to the posts is more decent than he was until now, and fingers crossed he lasts 80 minutes

Wasps are pretty much in the same situation with Gopperth and no Cipriani, though

Beale can kick and cover FH, no?

• Advertisement

Ahead of

Beale can kick and cover FH, no?
    Yeah but not that used to do so for Warathas and just back for 7 months injured. So if he played out of his prefered position, he'll obviously do better than TOH/Parata, but not way better. We can target him after an hour of exhausting rugby, if he has to move to n°10

Mixed feeling about Ili for centre. weak tackler, off-feet quickly, but electric, agressive player... At least 13 is easier for a winger, isn't it??? (real question)
    Heenan is THE unseen impressive player for many games now. I'm confident he (and Nepia) will be rock-solid again. Rucks depend on them.
    Dillane is our ball-carrier, we needed that profile. Good.
    Carey carries well too, we don't regret AhYou at all. Will he hold the scrum, helped by Buckley?
    No reliable kicker, no sub kicker at all, we said it already. Everthing thrown to the corner is the strategy then, to score tries tries tries...
    Healy will cover back 3, Parata 12/13. Let's see...
    Rather confident in our starting back-3, if we give them balls they'll take their oppotunities.

Akrasia wrote: »
    looking at the pool tables now, the only Non pro 12 teams topping their groups are Sarcens and Clermont
    We could see 5 teams from the pro 12 in the QFs depending on how Connacht play tomorrow

its a good stat akrasia. personally i think clermont and saracens are probably the two best clubs in europe. but its open season after that. think all the irish provinces are capable of beating all other teams within the EPL and Top14 (and indeed Ulster did beat Clermont today in the best game of rugby I've seen in a while)

Well if it was as said just "a minor knock" Pat has a big headache to come

Start Cooney for kicking to the post + touchfinders, Carty (decent again ball in hands) isn't good enough for those

Or keep Marmion who absolutely not deserves to be dropped

connachta, what a divil you are. we needed cooney to start and now marmion is your fancy :-)

Well if it was as said just "a minor knock" Pat has a big headache to come

Start Cooney for kicking to the post + touchfinders, Carty (decent again ball in hands) isn't good enough for those

I think see why the choice has to be between Marmion and Cooney.
    We have 3 useable scrum halves, we have one adaquete 10.

I'd play Cooney or Ronaldon at 10.

What Carty offers from play does not warrant inclusion.
    I'm sorry but he's barely Pro12 standard in play and his kicking is atrocious.

He misses touch or messes a restart once a game along with a gimmr kick.

You could say he only missed two kicks today but how many others did we turn down before the second penalty miss?.
    Look at Munster yesterday, they were able to build a lead by punishing every mistake in sight of goal.
    It may have been six real points but with that monentum it could have been 12.

I hope he doesnt start beyond this season, nowhere near good enough in the fundamentals for his position and we'll never have the strongest squads so need those games where we take points we shouldn't or maximise our scoring and you need a solid 10 for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I think see why the choice has to be between Marmion and Cooney.
    We have 3 useable scrum halves, we have one adaquete 10.

I'd play Cooney or Ronaldon at 10.

I'm sorry but he's barely Pro12 standard in play and his kicking is atrocious.

He misses touch or messes a restart once a game along with a gimmr kick.

You could say he only missed two kicks today but how many others did we turn down before the second penalty miss?.
    Look at Munster yesterday, they were able to build a lead by punishing every mistake in sight of goal.
    It may have been six real points but with that monentum it could have been 12.

I hope he doesnt start beyond this season, nowhere near good enough in the fundamentals for his position and we'll never have the strongest squads so need those games where we take points we shouldn't or maximise our scoring and you need a solid 10 for that.
    Cooney at 10?? Not going to happen. What Carty offers in open play certainly does warrant inclusion and if his kicking isn't good enough you work it that you use others to kick more. Use your 9/12/15 more to kick.
    If he misses touch so much you use others to take the kicks.
    Saying you don't want to see him start beyond this season is OTT. Why does the 10 have to be the kicker/scorer?

I'm sorry but he's barely Pro12 standard in play

pro 12 just whipped epl and top14 this weekend

aled wrote: »
    connachta, what a divil you are. we needed cooney to start and now marmion is your fancy :-)
    Marmion (and his opposite number who had marvellous box-kicks) were my MOTM

• Advertisement

Cooney at 10?? Not going to happen. What Carty offers in open play certainly does warrant inclusion and if his kicking isn't good enough you work it that you use others to kick more. Use your 9/12/15 more to kick.
    If he misses touch so much you use others to take the kicks.
    Saying you don't want to see him start beyond this season is OTT. Why does the 10 have to be the kicker/scorer?

All well and good saying others can but you'll often have days like today where they can't and you're stuck with no other options.

Are you honestly saying he's worth a place on a European Cup team or Pro12 contender?.

He's hardly a first year 20 year old. He's played probably close to 100 games by now.

Your 10 has to be able to kick so when you're not playing a team like Zebre that you can maximise your scoring potential.

Sure you'll get another back on occasion who can kick but its a fundamental for that position, in any regard I don't see the rest of his game being so good to warrant inclusion without that element.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

All well and good saying others can but you'll often have days like today where they can't and you're stuck with no other options.

Are you honestly saying he's worth a place on a European Cup team or Pro12 contender?.

He's hardly a first year 20 year old. He's played probably close to 100 games by now.

Your 10 has to be able to kick so when you're not playing a team like Zebre that you can maximise your scoring potential.

Sure you'll get another back on occasion who can kick but its a fundamental for that position, in any regard I don't see the rest of his game being so good to warrant inclusion without that element.
    But why does the 10 have to kick. Your 10 doesn't have to be the kicker. If we're going down route of European cup team/pro12 contender then many of connachts players and players on other irish teams down years wouldn't be. Its sum of all parts of team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Boshoff is gone for the season so we're going to have to plan without him now.
    I'd be very much in favour of starting John Cooney at 10 next week. His goal kicking is reliable and his along with Marmion's pace at 9 and 10 with both of them dovetailing would be very interesting.
    In the long run I presume we'll need a medical joker to cover Boshoff

• Site Banned Posts: 377 ✭✭Lake1989

Is that official?

I'd be very much in favour of starting John Cooney at 10 next week. His goal kicking is reliable and his along with Marmion's pace at 9 and 10 with both of them dovetailing would be very interesting.

wow, 10 minutes and gone for the season. is it the galway weather? never mind all the injuries earlier. when does this bad news stop

Shoulder surgery?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Boshoff gone for the year would be a disaster. Is Ronaldson out long term?

Getting a medical joker at this time of the season would be tricky. The SH players are all signed up at this stage and if recruiting within Europe Connacht would need a player who hasn't been registered in an EPCR squad. That really narrows the field down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Out until February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Out until February.

Ugh it's not looking good Connacht's European prospects. Let's take 5 points at home to Zebre as a given: That puts Connacht on 14. They'll need to get at least 4 points from Wasps at home and Toulouse away.

Getting a medical joker at this time of the season would be tricky. The SH players are all signed up at this stage and if recruiting within Europe Connacht would need a player who hasn't been registered in an EPCR squad. That really narrows the field down.

SH is probably our only option. We could sign someone until Ronaldson is back in feb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    SH is probably our only option. We could sign someone until Ronaldson is back in feb.

Sam Windsor.....is available and can wear a 12 shirt as well as a 10.

Walks off whistling nonchalantly........hands in pockets......then runs like feck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Niall O'Connor at 10 and Sam Windsor at 12

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

"Help me AJ MacGinty, you're our only hope"
    lv83Ne4.gif

Out until February.

Ugh it's not looking good Connacht's European prospects. Let's take 5 points at home to Zebre as a given: That puts Connacht on 14. They'll need to get at least 4 points from Wasps at home and Toulouse away.
    As I said 18 won't probably be enough. Toulouse may end with the same total, and be in front because of points in direct oppositions. I am convinced we should target a BP next week ; much easier than having it in Ernest Wallon. Miracles happen once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

wp_rathead wrote: »
    "Help me AJ MacGinty, you're our only hope"

Has he played in the champions cup yet?

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Yeah he played against Saracens yesterday

Mr Tickle wrote: »

Yeah he played against Saracens yesterday
    Mc Ginty is average with Sale. He was ok for us but he's not god on earth either. Not possible anyway.
    Cusack might be a handy solution, if we can't go Southern

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

Mc Ginty is average with Sale. He was ok for us but he's not god on earth either. Not possible anyway.
    Cusack might be a handy solution, if we can't go Southern

Donal Óg or John?

The Doncaster one. Very physical too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

He was ok for us

FFS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'd sell connachta's left bollock to have AJ back.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement