Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Glad they're not rushing Heenan, I'd rather see him back for the second scarlets game at the end of January than putting him in too early and potentially doing the shoulder again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

I hope he'll be at least on the bench for Ulster. Scarlets away :( I'm disappointed how low-rated Romaine is, now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

connachta wrote: »
    I hope he'll be at least on the bench for Ulster. Scarlets away :( I'm disappointed how low-rated Romaine is, now...

Really? you want Heenan straight back into a bench spot for an inter-pro without having played any rugby in around a year!

If he had played this weekend for the eagles there may have been some sense in him benching for the Ulster game but since he's not I think that would be madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Heenan hasn't played in a year. On bench for Ulster isn't game for him to come back
    Romaine isn't rated that lowly....

b.gud wrote: »
    Really? you want Heenan straight back into a bench spot for an inter-pro without having played any rugby in around a year!

If he had played this weekend for the eagles there may have been some sense in him benching for the Ulster game but since he's not I think that would be madness

Madness would be facing Henry/Diack/Williams with Masterson as openside or 21 y-o Connolly for the full 80 minutes. My opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

He is still only Year 1 Academy, wouldn't worry yet ;)
    I know Peter Claffey is highly rated, played schools for Ireland and probably get academy spot next year- don't honestly know about Cillian Gallagher apart from he is another Shligo boy

Madness would be facing Henry/Diack/Williams with Masterson as openside or 21 y-o Connolly for the full 80 minutes. My opinion

Connolly has looked excellent so far, I'd have no issue with him starting alongside Muldoon and Masterson.

Regardless of who is available simply can't start or bench Heenan. Another shoulder injury could be the end of his career. There's plenty of games between the end of January and the rest of the season for Heenan to make the impact we know he's capable of.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    Connolly has looked excellent so far, I'd have no issue with him starting alongside Muldoon and Masterson.

Regardless of who is available simply can't start or bench Heenan. Another shoulder injury could be the end of his career. There's plenty of games between the end of January and the rest of the season for Heenan to make the impact we know he's capable of.

There are very few winnable games. Ulster home is one of them.

There are very few winnable games. Ulster home is one of them.

Even if that were true, can't justify risking a guys career, both for himself and the loss to Connacht he would be.

Disagree anyway as long as our injury crisis eases, I think every home game is winnable (if you consider Ulster winnable not sure how you could consider many teams not winnable) and we should have a good 6N period too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

Parata has played 15 in age grade but Poolman there is better. He has more experience there
    Would say Robb at 13 is quite one off.. due to injuries. Better have Masterson than Heffernan starting in back-row I suppose
    Just as long as there's no more injuries in this is the important thing

Rory only ever played 1 game at fullback was a warm up when he first moved to Connacht under 19.
    He played all his previous rugby at 10 including started for Ireland 19s against France then was moved to 12 for under 19 inter pros and then moved to 13.
    I know he could quite easily slot into the 15 position but 13 is his preferred position.

Even if that were true, can't justify risking a guys career, both for himself and the loss to Connacht he would be.

Disagree anyway as long as our injury crisis eases, I think every home game is winnable (if you consider Ulster winnable not sure how you could consider many teams not winnable) and we should have a good 6N period too.

I try to hide it, but I'm very pessimistic about our schedule : Newcaslte (with only our 22 men) + Leinster + Embra are away games that those 2 teams can't afford to lose against us (like Cardiff didn't 2 weeks ago). Ulster and Scarlets are impressive this season. Treviso and Zebre are getting better when they're playing in Italy. Munster have a revange (2 or 3 BTW ;) ) to take at the Sportsground. Osp and Glasgow don't suit us at home either usually.. 2 years ago we could well have ended with 0 or 1 win with that schedule. The team improved, hope it will be enough to get the 5/6 wins we need...

That's ridiculously pessisimistic IMO.

The 6N will have a big impact for starters. Zebre will be missing their Italian contingent as will Ospreys with their Welsh when they travel to Galway. Dragons are poor and Falatau is a massive loss for them. Connacht Edinburgh games are usually a one score affair and they will lose 6/7 to the 6N.

Aside from that I expect any team that shows up at the Sportsground to have a tough day.

That's ridiculously pessisimistic IMO.

The 6N will have a big impact for starters. Zebre will be missing their Italian contingent as will Ospreys with their Welsh when they travel to Galway. Dragons are poor and Falatau is a massive loss for them. Connacht Edinburgh games are usually a one score affair and they will lose 6/7 to the 6N.

Aside from that I expect any team that shows up at the Sportsground to have a tough day.

I'm still convinced any of the remaining games are at best 50/50 (except, you might be right, Zebre away, tricky but during 6 nations). Don't forget we could be affected by this tournament too. Henshaw is a sure bet. But Muldowney (with Marshall and Roux still out starting February) TOH (with Leader out) and White may let some damaging voids against Scarlets, Dragons and Zebre if Joe picks them for Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Extremely pessimistic! Most of the injured players to come back, squad spirit at an all-time high, playing good rugby, meeting some teams during the 6N, home advantage vs in 3 interpros. I can see us getting a good few more wins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Ulster are there for the taking ,I doubt that they will play all their strong players, they need to win of course but we have more to play for at home with several players having rested or not having to play at highest level. I agree that the games in January are going to be difficult for us to get points but then we should get a window of opportunity during 6 nations, i believe now that with a win agianst Ulster the worst we can finish is 6th and if we keep going and players step up then top 4 is possible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

If TOH isn't in the plane at all (I still expect a good surprise), I guess Porter would play on a wing if one of the backs is out. He did so during a Wasps friendly in London last year IIRC...
    Was talking to tiernans dad. Seems he was in for a scan to assess the damage. Safe to say he won't be on a plane this weekend

flouncer wrote: »
    Was talking to tiernans dad. Seems he was in for a scan to assess the damage. Safe to say he won't be on a plane this weekend

Thank you for the news. Then, Porter on the wing if one from 11 to 15 is off...

If we managed to win the match this weekend I would actually say that it is a better result than the Munster game.
    I would be very happy if we lost but didn't get any new injuries.
    I would be thrilled with an LBP on top of no injuries.

b.gud wrote: »
    If we managed to win the match this weekend I would actually say that it is a better result than the Munster game.
    I would be very happy if we lost but didn't get any new injuries.
    I would be thrilled with an LBP on top of no injuries.

I think that all the backline will do well. A bit more worried about the pack.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

The incentive to win is that coming through the pool unbeaten means a likely home semifinal.

If we can guarantee that, I think we have a decent chance of winning the competition. There really aren't any teams in there that we should fear in a knockout tournament with a home quarter & semi. Get to the final and it's anyone's game.

• Advertisement

Robbo wrote: »
    The incentive to win is that coming through the pool unbeaten means a likely home semifinal.

If we can guarantee that, I think we have a decent chance of winning the competition. There really aren't any teams in there that we should fear in a knockout tournament with a home quarter & semi. Get to the final and it's anyone's game.

If we didn't have 20 players unavailable I'd be 100% with you, but the way our squad is right now I really just want us to get through this game unscathed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Might be a silly question but where is Ultan Dillane? Not named in the 22 or the injured list or the A side?

While a home Quarter-final is deffo on the cards, a home Semi is gonna be much more challenging as it only for top 2:
    Quins are on 15 points after 3 games and have to face Calvisano (h), Cardiff (h) and Montpellier (a)
    Gloucester are on 17 points after 4 games and have to face La Rochelle (h) and Zebre (a)

only hope is Montpellier still be interesed when Quins visit in last round, their win over Cardiff last night means they should be

Seems toh injury is bruising and no tear. So should be available for ulster. So that's good news. There ya go. I'm not always a manic depressant :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

We have nothing to fear from Robbie Diack or Nick Williams....two distinctly average players. I'd 100% back Muldoon/Connolly/Masterson to hold their own with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

It's probably not all that surprising but the word on Dave McSharry isn't great....one more and that could be him done.

S12b wrote: »
    It's probably not all that surprising but the word on Dave McSharry isn't great....one more and that could be him done.
    Yep its very concerning. He is such a genuine player and nice guy. But things are not positive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

I have to say, if I was him, I wouldn't wait around for the one more. I'd get out now with my health intact and do something else. It's real shame though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Heve to agree. For his own sake it's probably time to call it a day. I actually thought he had injured his back week the way he was being helped off. He couldn't walk at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Is tomorrow televised

• Advertisement

just downloaded the most current sky interactive broadcasts. Its not there so its rob murphy on galway bay

i hope we are not writing off mcsharry's career too early, i wasnt aware he's had that many concussions, there werre lots of other injuries i knew of. a top bloke and has been one of my favorite players ever since he came to Connacht

i expect toulouse to massively up for tomorrow's game against Ulster who won't be looking forward to a trip to the sportsground in a weeks time against a form team with players coming back after a rest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

Well folks. Myself and herself are a pair of idiots and won't make it to Newcastle unfortunately. As a result we have a pair of match tickets for the same stand as most people on here, can't remember the name.

We also have a bed for 2 for the Premier Inn in the city centre with breakfast for tonight.

If anyone is interested give me a pm with your email address and I'll pass on the details.

Not on TV but game is gonna be live on Galway Bay at 3pm

Sounds like it's all Connacht so far

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Anybody with a good data plan please periscope the game :)

yup, Masterson with a try disalowed for double-movement in opening minute

Conan doing well against Scottish international Welsh

Robb just gone off for a Head injury assessment after he put in a huge hit

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Need to get something on the board with all this possession.

Another injury :(
    O'Leary moved to 13 and Carty on at 10

We playing into a very strong wind opening half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Apparently against a fairly strong wind. Had a lot of possession in the first half last week too but struggled to make much of it against Newcastle's defence.

Try for Newcastle - Watson with a try. 5-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Try Newcastle, 5-0. Very much against the run of play

feck... Jack Carty sounds injured..

• Advertisement

Poolman try! 5-5

When Poolman is playing there is always hope of a try.

Every time Niyi gets the ball it sounds like he's going to do something awesome.

Masterson sounds like he is having a stormer
    Browne filling the Muldowney role

5-5 at half time. Have wind after the break but on this pitch you have to kick carefully.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement