Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

1195196197198199201»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

case885 wrote: »
    Anytime a player from another province is mentioned about joining Ulster you seem to bring this up, Belfast isn't the other side of the world its a nice city.
    If Cooney has ambitions of being no 2 scrumhalf for Ireland then he should definitely move to Ulster. Cooney had no trouble swapping Dublin for Galway so Belfast isn't that much different.

It's a handy cop out that allows him to continue to blame the IRFU and Nucifora in particular for Ulsters woes while also throwing stuff people here have said to him back at them. He has said in the past that the IRFU should be forcing players to move and we pointed out that they can't force people to do that. So now that's his cast iron excuse for why Ulster haven't signed someone like Cooney.

My big concern for Ulster is that they aren't making any effort to target Cooney (or someone like him) and it will come back to haunt them while they moan and whinge about what might have been if only the blessed Peinaar was there.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's a handy cop out that allows him to continue to blame the IRFU and Nucifora in particular for Ulsters woes while also throwing stuff people here have said to him back at them. He has said in the past that the IRFU should be forcing players to move and we pointed out that they can't force people to do that. So now that's his cast iron excuse for why Ulster haven't signed someone like Cooney.

My big concern for Ulster is that they aren't making any effort to target Cooney (or someone like him) and it will come back to haunt them while they moan and whinge about what might have been if only the blessed Peinaar was there.

It's not really a cop out, it's based on facts.

People love throwing these names out. Robin Copeland is another cracking example, people saying Ulster should be targetting him. Copeland has turned Ulster down on multiple ocassions, despite what some might think Ulster don't just come knocking and players come running. "Oh but you'll play for us more often" doesn't really cut it.

People assume that when Ulster don't sign these guys it's because they didn't speak to them. 100% total and absolute rubbish.

awec wrote: »
    People keep thinking that Ulster just have to come calling and these guys will jump at the chance

No they don't, no matter how many times you keep saying they do.

It's not really a cop out, it's based on facts.

There wasn't a single fact in your initial post.

molloyjh wrote: »
    There wasn't a single fact in your initial post.
    The only moves to NI that have happened in recent times have been players who couldn't get deals elsewhere. Ross, Shanahan, Lloyd, O'Connor, all guys rejected by their own province or picked up from club rugby. Ah You moved, but he is not Irish and has already moved to the other side of the world anyway.

Can you disprove this? Happy to be proven wrong if you can name me some under-used, semi-established Irish players who have moved from other provinces to NI for game time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

awec wrote:
    Well it's pretty different in fairness, politics aside you are moving to a different country. People keep thinking that Ulster just have to come calling and these guys will jump at the chance, but that does not tally with reality. Ulster have been turned down before by players, players who are not regulars at other provinces and would be at Ulster.

Well if a player is looking to leave for more game time then it will involve leaving the country anyway to England or France, moving to Ulster would mean there available for Irish selection which can play a big part in the players decision. JJ and Chris Farrell are reportedly joining Munster to get back into Irish contention.
    Nucifora could play a big part in getting players to switch to Ulster.

I know we are not great, but do people honestly believe ulster haven't spoken to John cooney?

Sorry, but that's just insane. If he doesn't sign for us it will not be because ulster didn't bother speaking to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I know we are not great, but do people honestly believe ulster haven't spoken to John cooney?

Sorry, but that's just insane. If he doesn't sign for us it will not be because ulster didn't bother speaking to him.

Stranger things have happened

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭case885

awec wrote:

Well if his reasoning is because he has to move country up to Belfast then there has to be serious questions asked of him which I'm sure will be nuciforas job. It's not just for the benefit of Ulster, Ireland need more quality at scrumhalf and Cooney starting regularly for Ulster will help that.
    I really don't see the negatives of joining Ulster that your saying all these players see.

Lads, we have to get John Cooney playing at 10 ASAP. Carty just isn't at Champions Cup standard.... 
    Oh no, wait, sorry! That was last week. On boards.ie, as at the Sportsground, the wind can change very quickly. ;)

While he did make two hard kicks, he missed an equally easier one.

It buys him another opportunity but an out half is paid to make those hard kicks.. thats why they're supposed to be elite, sure they're not expected to nail every single one but you're expecting a decent return.

However nailing the 80% ones is a neccessity and he still misses at least one of them per game.

Let's just see how he goes forward, I have nothing personal against him and if his kicking has dramatically improved since the game then that's great but I just don't see how much better you can get at that when you're 24 and playing professionally for so long.

If he kicks poorly, he's a pro, he should be called on it.
    If he kicks well, he deserves credit.
    No point using that retrospectively when the conversion figures spoke for themselves pre-game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

10000 posts past!
    I did the preview for part IV
    Here you are gents!

https://www.boards.ie/b/thread/2057684211?fuid=0

Can you disprove this? Happy to be proven wrong if you can name me some under-used, semi-established Irish players who have moved from other provinces to NI for game time.

That wasn't your initial post.

You see this is exactly why people take issue with your posts. At no time have I ever made a definitive statement about what Ulster have or have not done. I have said they should talk to Cooney and I'd be surprised if they couldn't tempt him up. In the past I've said that I've seen no indication that Ulster have looked to approach the kind of guys we're all saying that they should. I've also said that it's possible that they have though.

The only one making definitive statements that they can't in any way back up is you.

Ulster is not feckin' Mordor. If no players are going up there, but are going elsewhere, then at some point you've got to ask are enough players being asked or is Ulster being sold well enough. There's simply no way that every single Irish player of any use that Ulster should be looking at are all going to say no. By dint of sheer numbers at least 1 should have gone up at this stage. After all, the failures you're talking about did. So why are they the only ones saying yes to Ulster?

You can't force players to move, but you can convince and motivate them to. If the other provinces are able to do that and Ulster are not you have to question whether that's an issue with Belfast or an issue with Ulster Rugby. There are certainly additional factors to consider over Galway, Limerick or Dublin. But like I said, the place isn't Mordor either.

Anywa, this is the Connacht thread so.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement