Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

When Poolman is playing there is always hope of a try.

5th Try for Poolman in his 6th match this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Juan Socino on for Newcastle will provide them with a threat in 2nd half.

Penalty try for Newcastle straight away and YC for Eoghan Masterson could have turned the game in the space of a minute!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Penalty try for Newcastle straight away!
    And a yellow card. Jesus wept.

Ben Whitehouse again.. yellow for Masterson and Penalty try for not retreating..

Also apparently Masterson wasn't held in first half so his try in opening half should have stood

another try for Newcastle... games slipping away from us..

Newcastle heading toward a bonus point which will leave them within 2 of us and with the better head to head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,606 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

wp_rathead wrote: »
    another try for Newcastle... games slipping away from us..

Connacht seem to play better against the wind

...Shane O'Leary is injured now too...

Jesus wept..

edit: he is okay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Akrasia wrote: »
    Connacht seem to play better against the wind

Apparently the wind died so we won't have any wind advantage this half.
    Blade off for HIA, no backs left on the bench, this injury jinx is ridiculous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Blade came back from HIA so Porter is back on the bench now

Newcastle all over us. Bonus point seems inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Newcastle all over us. Bonus point seems inevitable.

Worrying considering Newcastle have no wins in their own league...

And another penalty try. 5 pointer for Newcastle. We'll just have to go and win in Brive now.

And another. This 2nd half is proving to be a disaster.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Urgh, this is turning very ugly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I don't see how it's worrying given Connacht's injury situation, being unable to field a full 23 is unprecedented in fairness. I haven't followed the recent lineups but I'm sure there have been a number of players who have played consecutive weeks without rest. Hopefully by Rounds 5 & 6 they will have more players back. Brive will probably rest players and Enisei at home is a 5 pointer. Grenoble have to go to London Irish so a home quarter final is still possible.

jaysus just try and get through last 20 with no more injuries..

....Poolman injured now.. FUUUUUCCCKKKK

• Advertisement

Could we just press pause on the season for a month so we can get some lads back onto two feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

this was predictible. Doesn't matter

Poolman injury is a worry though

EDIT : he walked off by himself

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What's the score lads?

29-5

connachta wrote: »
    Poolman injury is a worry though

EDIT : he walked off by himself

Rib injury. Walking off means nothing. You don't need your ribs to walk ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

It's time to get a priest or witch doctor or someone into the Sportsground to lift this damn injury curse. There's no way it's coming from natural causes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

BrokenMan wrote: »
    It's time to get a priest or witch doctor or someone into the Sportsground to lift this damn injury curse. There's no way it's coming from natural causes.

They bless the roads in Mayo and they have a bizarre low accident rate for such a big rural county, especially when you look slightly North to Donegal, so maybe there is something in it doing a ceremony!

Thankfully that's over. Disappointing but by no means fatal to our European hopes. Still in our hands to win the group if we win in Brive and even if we lose in Brive we should still qualify in 2nd place with a 5 pointer against Enesei. Looking ahead to Ulster, we'll have to examine the body count.

Thankfully that's over. Disappointing but by no means fatal to our European hopes. Still in our hands to win the group if we win in Brive and even if we lose in Brive we should still qualify in 2nd place with a 5 pointer against Enesei. Looking ahead to Ulster, we'll have to examine the body count.

I really hope we won't finish 'one of the 3 best 2nd" , for an away quarter-final once more. Could only hurt more the squad, uselessly. We have to focus on Pro 12, now, heavy schedule to come.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What competition was todays match part of?

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    What competition was todays match part of?

Competition to play the most 20 year-old players out of position. Connacht won by far

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

So who are we likely to have back next week?

Muldoon and Connolly in the back row?
    Dillane in the 2nd row?
    Any word on Loughney, McCartney?
    Marmion and Aki should be available?
    TOH?
    Matt Healy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

The one position on the field we have consistently struggled is a replacement for Denis. Good to hear that Conan stood up to the task. With all the injuries (and I'm disappointed for peter and danie) we could possibly field
    O'halloran
    Parata (I know niyi played well but defensively I prefer Rory and ulster will test weaknesses)
    Aki
    Ronaldson
    Healy
    Carty
    Marmion
    Conan (time to hit the limelight in Denis' absence)
    Delahunt (pure animal and very solid with his throwing)
    White
    Dillane
    Muldowney
    Muldoon
    Connolly
    Masterson

If we can field that type of team (indicators are that they should be available) then its probably as strong as any team we could field against ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

The Connacht injury list is a disaster. I hope the guys today are just routine bumps and bruises. It's a feckin' awful way for a really promising season to unravel if that is the case.
    S12b wrote: »
    We have nothing to fear from Robbie Diack or Nick Williams....two distinctly average players. I'd 100% back Muldoon/Connolly/Masterson to hold their own with them.

typhoony wrote: »
    i expect toulouse to massively up for tomorrow's game against Ulster who won't be looking forward to a trip to the sportsground in a weeks time against a form team with players coming back after a rest

Diack was outstanding today. He has rarely if ever given such a hard edged performance. He is an absolutely top notch l/o player.

When Williams came on he was one of the best players on the pitch - as he usually is. He has some flaws but one thing he is not - average.

Looks like Toulouse weren't 'up enough for it.' Considering that Payne, Bowe, Olding and Henderson were missing that was a good result. should have been a bonus point win too. I suspect that there will quite a few for the next game. Probably Paul Marshall, Stevenson, Clive Ross, Warwick, Herring, Lutton and maybe Reidy starting with Scholes and Arnold appearing in the backs.

Quite agree with you Flouncer I was about to post

it will be something like

1) Lough
    2) Delahunt
    3) White
    4) Dillane
    5) Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) Connolly
    8 ) Mastertson
    9 ) Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Aki
    11) one of Niyi/Parata
    14) one of Healy/Poolman (depends on fitness)
    15) TOH

16) Heff/JHW
    17) Bealham
    18) Ahyou
    19) Browne
    20) Heenan/McKeon (Naoupu if both not ready yet)
    21) Porter
    22) ? (McGinty not far from return in theory)
    23) ? (depends on the others)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

at least we have Niyi to come in for Poolman if he has an injury, looking forward now to the build-up to next weekends game. not much rest for the players over the christmas period, not even a wing of turkey allowed i'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

why wouldn't they be allowed turkey? They're not fighters cutting weight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

Niyi is a fine player and a really nice bloke. Parata is a stronger winger

flouncer wrote: »
    Niyi is a fine player and a really nice bloke. Parata is a stronger winger

Parata has the advantage to be able to switch to 13 if needed. Hope Dannie is ok though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

What's the body count after the Newcastle game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

evil_seed wrote: »
    What's the body count after the Newcastle game?

Well you could add Peter Robb and Danie Poolman to the ever increasing list. Robb might make it back but Poolman's rib injury could take a bit longer.

Short term (hopefully) injuries:
    Bundee Aki (ankle sprain)
    Craig Ronaldson (concussion)
    KieranMarmion (concussion)
    Dave McSharry (concussion)
    Tiernan O'Halloran (knee?)
    John Muldoon (calf)
    Nathan White (?)
    Peter Robb (concussion)
    Danie Poolman (rib)

Long term injured include:
    Nepia Fox-Matamua (ACL) - entire season
    Ben Marshall (fractured arm) - 3 months
    John Cooney (shoulder surgery) - 3 months
    Tom McCartney (hamstring) - 1 month
    Darragh Leader (hand) - 1-2 months
    Quinn Roux (ankle) - 1-2 months
    Jake Heenan (shoulder) - 1-2 months
    Denis Buckley (ankle) - 2 months
    Robbie Henshaw - (hand) - 1 month

Others I don't know the status of:
    AJ McGinty
    Eoin McKeown
    Conor Finn
    JP Cooney

I'm sure I've missed some :(

Well you could add Peter Robb and Danie Poolman to the ever increasing list. Robb might make it back but Poolman's rib injury could take a bit longer.

Bundee Aki (ankle sprain) could be back as could Craig Ronaldson (concussion), Marmion (concussion), Dave McSharry (concussion), Tiernan O'Halloran (knee?) and John Muldoon (calf).

Long term injured include:
    Ban Marshall (fractured arm) - 3 months
    John Cooney (shoulder surgery) - 3 months
    Tom McCartney (hamstring) - 1 month
    Darragh Leader (hand) - 1-2 months
    Quinn Roux (ankle) - 1-2 months
    Jake Heenan (shoulder) - 1-2 months
    Denis Buckley (ankle) - 2 months
    Robbie Henshaw - (hand) - 1 month

Others I don't know the status of:
    AJ McGinty
    Eoin McKeown
    Api Pewhairangi - back, has played for the Eagles last 2 weeks
    Conor Finn
    JP Cooney
    Nathan White - think he'll be ok
    Nepia Fox-Matamua - out for the season, ACL injury
    Andrew Browne - played yesterday, did he get injured?

I'm sure I've missed some :(

Edited a few above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Zzippy wrote: »
    Edited a few above

Must have missed Browne on the team sheet yesterday. I still think I'm missing somebody though...

Unless Ronaldson picked up a concussion yesterday that I missed he should be good to go this weekend

Ronaldson is good to go- listening to match on Galway Bay it sounds like both Carty and O'Leary both took knocks despite seeing the game out so might have to add them to Robb and Poolman :(

Masterson sounded like he had a great game which is promising

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

I was at the game , we were all over them in the first half but couldn't convert our good ball into points which was disappointing. We really should have gone in ahead at half time.

I thought that Masterson's try was good. He wasn't held and I level if they were hanging on by a shoelace he is allowed to place the ball. Poor call Imo.

The pen try and YC was simply wrong ! The quick tap was taken from the wrong place and was taken inside the 5m line, it should have been called back to be retaken instead in was a YC and a pen try.

That seemed to drain the life out of the team and suddenly we were on the back foot and everything became a huge effort.

In fairness they worked hard but nothing seemed to work for them at all.

If Masterson's try was allowed it would have been a totally different game , same goes for the pen try and YC , Newcastle would prob have taken the 3 points and we would have restarted at 8-5 and a full team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

Shelflife wrote: »
    I was at the game , we were all over them in the first half but couldn't convert our good ball into points which was disappointing. We really should have gone in ahead at half time.

I thought that Masterson's try was good. He wasn't held and I level if they were hanging on by a shoelace he is allowed to place the ball. Poor call Imo.

The pen try and YC was simply wrong ! The quick tap was taken from the wrong place and was taken inside the 5m line, it should have been called back to be retaken instead in was a YC and a pen try.

That seemed to drain the life out of the team and suddenly we were on the back foot and everything became a huge effort.

In fairness they worked hard but nothing seemed to work for them at all.

If Masterson's try was allowed it would have been a totally different game , same goes for the pen try and YC , Newcastle would prob have taken the 3 points and we would have restarted at 8-5 and a full team.

so what you're saying effectively is that over the 80 minutes we were the better team?

By my reckoning these are the options we have for the back line for the Ulster match.
    They are not in preferential order but more order of players we know are fit first. Then are the players who may be available with the last known injury status of that player

Scrum half: Porter, Blade, Marmion (should be OK)
    Fly Half: Ronaldson, McKeon, Carty (potential doubt), O'Leary (potential doubt)
    Wings: Niyi, Parata, Gaffney, Healy (hopeful), Poolman (doubtful), Carr (unknown)
    Centre: Ronaldson, Api, Parata, Aki (hopeful), Robb (concussion)
    FB: Gaffney, TOH (hopefully)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

typhoony wrote: »
    so what you're saying effectively is that over the 80 minutes we were the better team?

No not saying that. Effectively a game of two halves, we dominated the first half they dominated the 2nd half .

We had a try disallowed that would have given us further impetus they were awarded a try that gave them a huge lift.

• Advertisement

Shelflife wrote: »
    No not saying that. Effectively a game of two halves, we dominated the first half they dominated the 2nd half .

We had a try disallowed that would have given us further impetus they were awarded a try that gave them a huge lift.

Also worth noting that disallowed try came was in the 1st or second minute of the game so it could have had a big affect on both teams

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement