Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

We've only had 4 TMO's in our 12 fixtures this season

Ulster match will be our first home game with a TMO

Rather pathetic in professional era- should be a TMO in all the games or none

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

wp_rathead wrote: »
    We've only had 4 TMO's in our 12 fixtures this season

Ulster match will be our first home game with a TMO

Rather pathetic in professional era- should be a TMO in all the games or none

Don't worry it all evens out over the course of the season.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

its_phil wrote:
    Don't worry it all evens out over the course of the season.....

Bad calls go both way guys. Yere used to it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

freyners wrote: »
    Bad calls go both way guys. Yere used to it anyways.

No, bad calls go to the "less reputed team", which is 99% of the time Connacht. It's psychological, lets's face it, no plot theory in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

connachta wrote:
    No, bad calls go to the "less reputed team", which is 99% of the time Connacht. It's psychological, lets's face it, no plot theory in this.

Not obvious from my post but I was taking the mick out of some of the wisdom posted here over the years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

But wouldn't bad calls be more likely to go to the home team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

shuffol wrote: »
    But wouldn't bad calls be more likely to go to the home team...

This is a common misconception.

However, it's been scientifically proven that 99.4% of bad calls go in favour of "the other" team.

This is a common misconception.

However, it's been scientifically proven that 99.4% of bad calls go in favour of the other team.

but it's 99.8 against Connacht. the 0.4 added cost us undoubtedly Cardiff and Gloucester away and TMO didn't help by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

connachta wrote: »
    but it's 99.8 against Connacht. the 0.4 added cost us undoubtedly Cardiff and Gloucester away and TMO didn't help by the way

Yes, definitely. No matter who the opposition, no matter what the venue, whether there's a TMO or not and regardless of who the ref is, it is always Connacht who are hard done by.

Indeeed.

Whatever about a severe lack of TMO's, this annoys me. We got two big calls last week against Newcastle when they were building momentum, but when they go against it's always the poor us line.

Only last week Dean Richards said the crowd was a huge influencer in the Sportsground game and it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭typhoony

its_phil wrote: »
    Whatever about a severe lack of TMO's, this annoys me. We got two big calls last week against Newcastle when they were building momentum, but when they go against it's always the poor us line.

Only last week Dean Richards said the crowd was a huge influencer in the Sportsground game and it was.

exactly my opinion, and the argument then is that we were the better team. I actually think over the 2 legs newcastle might have been the better team.

Yes, definitely. No matter who the opposition, no matter what the venue, whether there's a TMO or not and regardless of who the ref is, it is always Connacht who are hard done by.

Indeeed.

It's rare to be so right trying to be ironic. Bravo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Anyone know if I can get the green lantern jersey anywhere?

I was unsure about it at first but it's really growing on me so wanna get it. Can't see it on the Lifestyle website and the one on the BLK website is over €100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Limited edition innit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

b.gud wrote: »
    Anyone know if I can get the green lantern jersey anywhere?

I was unsure about it at first but it's really growing on me so wanna get it. Can't see it on the Lifestyle website and the one on the BLK website is over €100

Yeah it was a limited edition. I doubt they'll be re released.

I remember hearing there was only 35 delivered to the sportsground for the team

Crap not really what I was hoping to hear

On refs we tend to look for calls tht go against us rather than being objective during the match.
    It's great that the sportsground is getting to be an environment that calls can go out way now.
    But given the nature of the maws in rugby there will be interpretation and that makes it more grey than fans would like. Owens refs a game differently to Barnes and to Whitehouse. How they have interpreted the laws effects the game and its upto the players to adjust to that. I think there isn't enough consistency from game to game and within games too. Ie as the game breaks up a call on minute 1 should be the same as minute 79
    The TMO takes out some of the baying for heads to roll but bad calls will be made anyway it's human nature.

Crap not really what I was hoping to hear

I'd honestly suggest tweeting BLK and lifestyle about it they'll get back to you quick enough and you'll know for sure.

I'm the same since I've seen pics of them on your average rugby fan they look better than I thought

Te'o signed for Worcester, Henshaw's gone, the war is over now. Let's face it and try to salvage Madigan out of this battle. Will be useful to have two consistant outhalf for the big European competition, with McGinty only on a 1-year-deal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,233 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

It's henshaws decision, T'eo leaving is no indicator of where Henshaw will be playing next season, Leinster may have just been unable to compete with the sterling on offer. Had Henshaw signed, it would have been announced.

As much Id like to see it, there is no chance of Madigan coming west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Te'o signed for Worcester, Henshaw's gone, the war is over now. Let's face it and try to salvage Madigan out of this battle. Will be useful to have two consistant outhalf for the big European competition, with McGinty only on a 1-year-deal

No connection between Te'o leaving Leinster and Henshaw possibly leaving Connacht. Te'o joined Worcester for the money, nothing else so it was clearly his choice. Now I'm not saying Robbie is staying, I'm just saying you're putting two and two together there and getting five.

Zero chance Madigan is coming West. As much as I would love it and think it would be brilliant for his development as a player - he would finally get out of the shadows of more senior players and get to command a team himself - we obviously can't compete financially. Madigan was on small money up to about 2 years ago and he's not as young as people think so I don't begrudge him going for a big pay cheque in France playing with a lot of internationals.

On a more positive front, I caught the last few minutes of training this morning.....the backs were running set plays and I spotted Carty, Aki, Poolman, Healy and TOH all there taking a full part. Injury update expected later today so hopefully some good news. We really need our first choice backline to contain the Ulster backs in their current form.

S12b wrote: »
    On a more positive front, I caught the last few minutes of training this morning.....the backs were running set plays and I spotted Carty, Aki, Poolman, Healy and TOH all there taking a full part. Injury update expected later today so hopefully some good news. We really need our first choice backline to contain the Ulster backs in their current form.

Thank God. Dare I say, for once, relief?

Zero chance Madigan is coming West. As much as I would love it and think it would be brilliant for his development as a player - he would finally get out of the shadows of more senior players and get to command a team himself - we obviously can't compete financially. Madigan was on small money up to about 2 years ago and he's not as young as people think so I don't begrudge him going for a big pay cheque in France playing with a lot of internationals.

Sexton is getting older, probably too much for RWC 2019, Jackson can't be consistent on a serie of games, Keatley dropped off. I think Mad dog central contract with us woudn't be such a bad idea for IRFU

Sexton is getting older, probably too much for RWC 2019, Jackson can't be consistant on a serie of games, Keatley dropped off. I think Mad dog central contract with us woudn't be such a bad idea for IRFU

Jackson is easily Ireland's number 2 outhalf. Madigan on a central out west doesn't make sense. I don't think you can coach away the flaws in his game. Mainly decision making. Where I think Ronaldson is a great decision maker and Carty shows glimpses of it. I think a 10 is more than kicking from tee. And that's all most people talk about in regards Madigan

Sexton is getting older, probably too much for RWC 2019, Jackson can't be consistant on a serie of games, Keatley dropped off. I think Mad dog central contract with us woudn't be such a bad idea for IRFU

Jackson has just been consistent over three games against Edinburgh and Toulouse starting at 10. Madigan can't get a start at 10.

Mind baffles at how people keep giving Madigan so much credit for being on the bench. I think he's a good player, but massively overhyped to be considered the shoo in backup 10. I'm very confident Jackson is going to be the sub 10 for the 6N. A central contract for Madigan at Leinster or Connacht is ludicrous. Supply and demand, and supply is just fine at 10 and 12 in Ireland with Sexton and Henshaw.

Jackson has just been consistent over three games against Edinburgh and Toulouse starting at 10. Madigan can't get a start at 10.

Mind baffles at how people keep giving Madigan so much credit for being on the bench. I think he's a good player, but massively overhyped to be considered the shoo in backup 10. I'm very confident Jackson is going to be the sub 10 for the 6N. A central contract for Madigan at Leinster or Connacht is ludicrous. Supply and demand, and supply is just fine at 10 and 12 in Ireland with Sexton and Henshaw.

Supply isn't fine. Sexton is not sure at all to be able to start every RWC 2019 games at 34. Madigan central contral with Connacht/Munster would give him the 3 years he needs with some gametime. With it, he'll be far ahead of Jackson. And Henshaw is more a 13/15 IMO. But there, there's supply, with McCloskey/Aki coming.

Injury update from the42 is not looking too bad
    However, Connacht head coach Lam is hopeful of welcoming Ronan Loughney, John Muldoon, James Connolly, Kieran Marmion, AJ MacGinty, Bundee Aki, Matt Healy and Tiernan O’Halloran back from injury this weekend.

Connacht face Ulster at the Sportsground on 26 December (KO 6pm, TG4), meaning the return of even some of the above would be extremely timely. All eight players will undertake fitness tests this week.

More negatively, three fresh injury concerns arose from last weekend’s defeat in Newcastle.

Hooker Jason Harris-Wright, who has had a tough time with injuries in recent seasons, sustained an upper back joint sprain and a rib cartilage strain against Newcastle and will be assessed before Lam names his team on Christmas Eve.

Wing Danie Poolman, who was a try scorer against the Falcons, also suffered a rib cartilage injury and is being monitored as his pain subsides.

Finally, 21-year-old academy centre Peter Robb was concussed during the Challenge Cup fixture and is currently going through the return-to-play protocols.

Supply isn't fine. Sexton is not sure at all to be able to start every RWC 2019 games at 34. Madigan central contral with Connacht/Munster would give him the 3 years he needs with some gametime. With it, he'll be far ahead of Jackson. And Henshaw is more a 13/15 IMO. But there, there's supply, with McCloskey/Aki coming.

I agree with Phil that he's overrated and Jackson is now ahead of him I would think. The IRFU are giving out less central contracts, they're not gonna give one to the second/third choice no.10 to play for Connacht and that's making the assumption Madigan would be willing to move. It's not happening.

• Advertisement

Yup not a bad looking injury update. Poolman looked like he was running very freely today, less than 48 hours after the injury, so I'd expect he should be fine by the weekend.

Still no word on Tom McCartney. Initial prognosis was 6 weeks and that was on November 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭cosalofa

Yup not a bad looking injury update. Poolman looked like he was running very freely today, less than 48 hours after the injury, so I'd expect he should be fine by the weekend.

Still no word on Tom McCartney. Initial prognosis was 6 weeks and that was on November 6th.

I saw Tom McCartney training today as I was getting tickets for the Ulster match.

Quite agree with you Flouncer I was about to post

it will be something like

1) Lough
    2) Delahunt
    3) White
    4) Dillane
    5) Muldowney
    6) Muldoon
    7) Connolly
    8 ) Mastertson
    9 ) Marmion
    10) Carty
    12) Ronaldson
    13) Aki
    11) one of Niyi/Parata
    14) one of Healy/Poolman (depends on fitness)
    15) TOH

16) Heff/JHW
    17) Bealham
    18) Ahyou
    19) Browne
    20) Heenan/McKeon (Naoupu if both not ready yet)
    21) Porter
    22) ? (McGinty not far from return in theory)
    23) ? (depends on the others)

I was right for McGinty, Aki, and we could have both Poolman and Healy. Very pleasant:pac:

White, and who knows a big Dillane surprise, might be in the Irish camp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

If Ronan is available it will be a tight call between him and Conan. With jhw unlikely I think Shane's performances probably deserve the start over Dave (assuming tom is still in recovery mode). Funny but if Nathan started with Shane and Conan he's not far off their combined age :-). Aly is back big time so it will be interesting who is available to play alongside him. You would have to think the back row would be Muldoon, connolly and Masterson. And then if the news is to believed the only first choice players missing from the back line are danie and Robbie.

So it would seem we will be fielding a team equivalent to that fielded against Munster. If this is true its great news

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Madigan has played 134 games for Leinster - starting 85 of those, mostly at 10. He has scored a seemingly impressive 756 points or 5.6 points per game playing with a team that at the time was just about the best in Europe. He has played 25 times for Ireland including 6 starts. He'll be 27 in a few weeks. So, playing 3 more years in poorer sides than his past one will somehow give him the game time to make him a star by the age of 30 going on 31 at the end of the 18/19 season. So with all that game time already under his belt, including all those Ireland training sessions and playing under Schmidt for years during which he's been pretty poor as often as he has been good, he is suddenly going to find the missing talent by playing in Galway or Limerick.

Jackson is 3 years younger. By the time Madigan has finished his 31 year old apprenticeship, Jackson will be 27. He hasn't had the great good fortune to have been coached by Schmidt or may not have been training daily with or have played alongside some of Ireland's best ever players with Leinster and Ireland like Madigan has, however even playing in a not so good Ulster side he scores more points on average than Madigan 576 in 89 games or 6.5 points per game and with him at 10 Ulster score about as many points / tries as Leinster.

So what you are really saying is that Madigan, despite not improving over the last 4 years, will get better over the next 3 and that Jackson, who has shown clear improvements in each season will stop getting better to such an extent that Madigan will be far ahead of him. Hard to agree with your fortune telling or logic.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Madigan has played 134 games for Leinster - starting 85 of those, mostly at 10. He has scored a seemingly impressive 756 points or 5.6 points per game playing with a team that at the time was just about the best in Europe. He has played 25 times for Ireland including 6 starts. He'll be 27 in a few weeks. So, playing 3 more years in poorer sides than his past one will somehow give him the game time to make him a star by the age of 30 going on 31 at the end of the 18/19 season. So with all that game time already under his belt, including all those Ireland training sessions and playing under Schmidt for years during which he's been pretty poor as often as he has been good, he is suddenly going to find the missing talent by playing in Galway or Limerick.

Jackson is 3 years younger. By the time Madigan has finished his 31 year old apprenticeship, Jackson will be 27. He hasn't had the great good fortune to have been coached by Schmidt or may not have been training daily with or have played alongside some of Ireland's best ever players with Leinster and Ireland like Madigan has, however even playing in a not so good Ulster side he scores more points on average than Madigan 576 in 89 games or 6.5 points per game and with him at 10 Ulster score about as many points / tries as Leinster.

So what you are really saying is that Madigan, despite not improving over the last 4 years, will get better over the next 3 and that Jackson, who has shown clear improvements in each season will stop getting better to such an extent that Madigan will be far ahead of him. Hard to agree with your fortune telling or logic.

Normally I give Connachta a hard time but on this one I agree with him. I appreciate all your stats but I actually think the style of play of madigan is really along the lines of how Connacht play. So I suggest he would fit in just fine. Do Connacht need a player like madigan. I would say maybe. He is absolutely in line with our style of play and if he were to consider his next move he needs to understand what he brings to a team and then is that really what that team wants.

Now with my very blinkered Connacht eyes, I have always considered paddy Jackson as moderate. He is a moderate penalty taker and his incessant garryowen is simply painful. He's just lucky he had the likes of bowe, Trimble and gilroy to follow his nonsense. So please never suggest Jackson again, he is pants and he bothers me.

So then to list the 10 options for Ireland as people see them. So we have sexton, madigan, keatley, scannell, Jackson, carty if you were to take the provincial primary choice 10s. And the player I would like playing at 10 for Ireland is none of the above. Its a guy named ronaldson. His kicking stats are as good as any, his tackling is better than most, his incisive runs are a joy to watch

• Advertisement

flouncer wrote: »
    Normally I give Connachta a hard time but on this one I agree with him. I appreciate all your stats but I actually think the style of play of madigan is really along the lines of how Connacht play. So I suggest he would fit in just fine. Do Connacht need a player like madigan. I would say maybe. He is absolutely in line with our style of play and if he were to consider his next move he needs to understand what he brings to a team and then is that really what that team wants.

Now with my very blinkered Connacht eyes, I have always considered paddy Jackson as moderate. He is a moderate penalty taker and his incessant garryowen is simply painful. He's just lucky he had the likes of bowe, Trimble and gilroy to follow his nonsense. So please never suggest Jackson again, he is pants and he bothers me.

So then to list the 10 options for Ireland as people see them. So we have sexton, madigan, keatley, scannell, Jackson, carty if you were to take the provincial primary choice 10s. And the player I would like playing at 10 for Ireland is none of the above. Its a guy named ronaldson. His kicking stats are as good as any, his tackling is better than most, his incisive runs are a joy to watch

I thought that Connacht were using a passing game these days. Good luck with that if Madigan becomes your 10. He can pass very well but usually huge cut outs for which there is often no need. Other than those he just runs with the ball himself and his kicking from hand is awful.

I thought that Connacht were using a passing game these days. Good luck with that if Madigan becomes your 10. He can pass very well but usually huge cut outs for which there is often no need. Other than those he just runs with the ball himself and his kicking from hand is awful.
    We don't kick from hand. Indeed it was pointed in the Cardiff game (which we lost) how we don't kick. We have spent years kicking away possession. We don't do it anymore. So that's not a problem (as compared to Jackson at ulster and Murray at Munster). As for wide very wide passes, well we would have to train him to behave on that one.

I think its one of the cultural shifts with Connacht that we play ball in hand these days. Seems to work fine. And it is the reason I believe we will beat ulster at the weekend. You may see garryowens from ulster. We will play the ball.

We don't kick from hand. Indeed it was pointed in the Cardiff game (which we lost) how we don't kick. We have spent years kicking away possession. We don't do it anymore. So that's not a problem (as compared to Jackson at ulster and Murray at Munster). As for wide very wide passes, well we would have to train him to behave on that one.

I think its one of the cultural shifts with Connacht that we play ball in hand these days. Seems to work fine. And it is the reason I believe we will beat ulster at the weekend. You may see garryowens from ulster. We will play the ball.

You may indeed. It would be a poor coach who instructed his team never to kick. It's better if they don't unless there is no better option. However, have you watched Ulster over the last month? Very little aimless kicking. Unfortunately iHumph may start. There was a time when that wouldn't bother me. It does now.

Jackson is the best passing 10 in this country. This entire post is just drivel.

Anyone who wants to see his passing ability watch the last two weeks. Also, the day I start counting incisive breaks as a reason to start a 10 I'll be calling for Zebo and Bowe at 10

your stats depend on the style of play. They aren't relevant. It could just mean Ulster kicks at goal more than Leinster does.

• Advertisement

Jackson is the best passing 10 in this country. This entire post is just drivel.

Don't hold anything back :-). Let it out :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Jackson has good passing ability, he gives a great fast flat pass off both hands. He will get better all round as he has Kiss up there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Stan27

Looking at the remaining pro12 fixtures if injurys inprove and form keeps momentum, I think top4 is a bit possibility, which means champion cup rugby. I wonder is this a big factor for Robbie to stay.
    Also I wonder will it attract a lot more Irish players to Connacht that wouldn't have went previously !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

One thing about the injuries is that it's forces some players to be rested. At least they should be coming back fresh and rearing to go. As long as things ease off now it might not be all bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I live in the USA andmates are asking about McGinty, i saw him play a half a while ago and looked good but apart from that I wouldn't know if he was actually developing before being hurt

Trippie wrote: »
    I live in the USA andmates are asking about McGinty, i saw him play a half a while ago and looked good but apart from that I wouldn't know if he was actually developing before being hurt

He hasn't played much, enisei away and then started in Thomond, came off around the 50 min mark, so hard to call but he has shown good flashes and delighted he's in the squad.

Haha TOLD YOU :D
    16/01/2016 20:45 P1
    Brive v Connacht Rugby
    Stade Amédée-Domenech FR4

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

Haha TOLD YOU :D
    6/01/2016 20:45 P1
    Brive v Connacht Rugby
    Stade Amédée-Domenech FR4

16th Jan methinks😜

Seems my opinion doesn't run parallel to others. So I will continue my perpendicular viewpoint :-). I do hope some find it amusing and at times maybe possibly true.

I really, really would like to see a ronaldson Jackson face off on Saturday. I know this is unlikely to happen as pat seems to prefer jack at 10 (or is it more valid to say that bundee and Craig are an excellent centre partnership).

So if jack is 10 then I do expect Craig will have kicking duties. Craig puzzles me at times. He kicks the most amazing penalties and then misses the easiest kicks. It strikes me as a concentration issue. Should be easy to remedy that.

If Jackson does what I expect him to do I expect toh to play a stormer (assuming he is fit). I also think the lack of bowe and gilroy will show up Jacksons one dimensional play.

My only concern is Trimble. I have always rated him above any other winger in Ireland. I'm also really looking forward to seeing McCloskey face us against our centre partnership.

Then, assuming jhw is not available i'm hoping to see delahunt face up against Rory best. I am so, so looking forward to this game from my tangential, scewed, unappreciated :-) point of view.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement