Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connacht Rugby Thread - Part III - The Violence of the Lams

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭flouncer

On the first day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A recording of our win against Munster

On the second day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    Good weather for the Ulster game

On the third day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A report on a famous victory

On the fourth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A clean bill of health for the team

On the fifth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    News of multiple player call ups to the international squad

On the sixth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    News that Jake Heenan is fit

On the seventh day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A hugely exciting lineout for the Leinster game

On the eighth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A limousine to the game

On the ninth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A DVD of another famous win

On the tenth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    Another clean bill of health for the team

On the eleventh day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A new green lantern outfit

On the twelfth day of Christmas
    my province sent to me:
    A promise to win the Pro12 and the Challenge Cup

And that's why my province is the bestest :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

flouncer wrote: »
    my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:
    A limousine to the game

my province sent to me:

my true province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

lovely!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 maoriincork

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:
    A limousine to the game

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

To good Flouncer.

To good Flouncer.

More a poet than a rugby analyst but I try to be both :-). And my poetry sucks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:
    A limousine to the game

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

my province sent to me:

On the thirteenth day of Christmas
    my province sent me to:
    A secure facility with a rubber room...:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭tiger_cub

Take what you may from it but George N's wife posted a group pic on her instagram and used the hashtag #goinftomisstheAhyous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

tiger_cub wrote: »
    Take what you may from it but George N's wife posted a group pic on her instagram and used the hashtag #goinftomisstheAhyous!

She was being ironic. Rodney's family obviously spent Christmas Day with the Naoupus and there's no food left...

jacothelad wrote: »
    On the thirteenth day of Christmas
    my province sent me to:
    A secure facility with a rubber room...:D:D:D:D
    do i get a chance to post my ruminations from said rubber room :-).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

tiger_cub wrote: »

George North is coming to Galway !!!!!! Get in there.

• Advertisement

Poor fare.

Cant be missing penalties like that, not two in a row.
    Changes the complexity of the game completely.

Id be a bit worried based on the last few seasons, results have slumped historically and this run isn't helping away from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Sickened with that. We never seem to perform against Ulster for whatever reason. Last season our results really begun to drop away in January. Hope we're not getting a repeat this season.

2 awful misses from Ronaldson. Have to be nailing those. Especially with very little wind out.

me province let me down. we lost. and then you understand that your province can never let you down because they are YOUR PROVINCE. connacht will always be the best province BECAUSE I think so.

me province let me down. we lost. and then you understand that your province can never let you down because they are YOUR PROVINCE. connacht will always be the best province BECAUSE I think so.

100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

Pat Lam said it well in the post game interview, "You cant fault the boys for lack of effort". Ronald sons 2 pen misses were bad but it wouldn't have been enough to win the game. Bundi Aki was quite through, was expecting a bit more from him.

No injuries and an LBP, I'll take it. Hopefully we'll get a couple more lads back for next weekend.

Probably the most disappointing thing about the game was poor performances by both carty and McGinty. That is a concern for next week. Denis is always a huge loss and is simply hard to replace. Poolman could possibly be back and parata could be in line for a start on the other wing. Its so hard to call the team these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Pat Lam said it well in the post game interview, "You cant fault the boys for lack of effort". Ronald sons 2 pen misses were bad but it wouldn't have been enough to win the game. Bundi Aki was quite through, was expecting a bit more from him.

No injuries and an LBP, I'll take it. Hopefully we'll get a couple more lads back for next weekend.

It very easily may have been enough to win the game. Ok in theory 6 points brings it to 9-10 but scores dictate the way the game goes. After Ronaldson's first miss, we turned our back and let Ulster up to our 22 with their first real threat of the half. The lineout went bad and we eventually conceded a penalty so that was a 6 point swing straight away. The penalty in the 2nd half was deflating as it came after a lot of donkey work up against a brick wall Ulster defence.

If we were leading near the finish it's a different mentality and MacGinty may not have been forcing the distance on the penalty to touch.

Another disappointment near the end was Tiernan O'Halloran kicking to touch with his left foot when he had time to get back on his right, it got Ulster field position when we could have got it back down in their half.

Either way it's water under the bridge and we have to try and learn from last night and pick up the pieces next Friday.

So 12 rounds to go (or so, with postponed games)
    I've got spare time to anticipate the classification, with reasonable results to come

Scarlets 36 points
    minimum + 23 = 59 points
    max + 42 = 78 points
    average 69 points

Connacht 34 points
    minimum + 4 (yeah it could well happen seeing the schedule) = 38 points
    max +39 = 73 points
    average = 55 points

Leinster 31 points
    max + 47 = 78 points
    minimum +22 = 54 points
    average 66 points

Munster 28 points
    max + 40 = 68 points
    min + 32 = 60 points
    average 64 points

Glasgow 26 points
    min + 27 = 53 points
    max + 44 70 points
    average 61 points

Edinburgh 28 points
    min + 13 = 41 points
    max + 33 = 61 points
    average 51 points

Ospreys 24 points
    maximum + 44 = 68 points
    minimun + 20 = 44 points
    average 56 points

So IMO we're screwed as 7th, once again, as I said earlier
    That's why Shingler missed kick hurt me yesterday, and Glasgow loss today gave me just a bit of hope
    As expected Connacht home games against Ospreys and Glasgow should be decisive. If Buckley Heenan and Henshaw are there, it may be ok...

Another disappointment near the end was Tiernan O'Halloran kicking to touch with his left foot when he had time to get back on his right, it got Ulster field position when we could have got it back down in their half..
    Now that's an interesting interpretation. He kicked a ball with his left foot to the 10m line from inside his 22. What did you want him to do. Maybe dropkick 3 points instead. Just looked at the setanta replay. Other than the one kick for touch that McGinty missed he was very very decent. I know I so boringly dislike jack but aj did just fine.

And I am with Connachta that Healy and niyi are exciting but very poor tacklers. So I would be happy to see a toh, poolman, aki, ronaldson, parata, McGinty, marmion backline.

Now that's an interesting interpretation. He kicked a ball with his left foot to the 10m line from inside his 22. What did you want him to do. Maybe dropkick 3 points instead. Just looked at the setanta replay. Other than the one kick for touch that McGinty missed he was very very decent. I know I so boringly dislike jack but aj did just fine.

And I am with Connachta that Healy and niyi are exciting but very poor tacklers. So I would be happy to see a toh, poolman, aki, ronaldson, parata, McGinty, marmion backline.

Put Henshaw instead of Ronaldson and I agree

It very easily may have been enough to win the game. Ok in theory 6 points brings it to 9-10 but scores dictate the way the game.

If anything scoring those 2 penalties in the first half would have made Ulster hungrier for the try. We could have gone for more drop goals in the game but but it's easy to say that in hindsight.

• Advertisement

connachta wrote: »
    Connacht 34 points
    minimum + 4 (yeah it could well happen seeing the schedule) = 38 points

I think you are forgetting about a little tournament called the 6 Nations. Away to Zebre, home to Ospreys, away to Edinburgh. We have got to win those.

I think you are forgetting about a little tournament called the 6 Nations. Away to Zebre, home to Ospreys, away to Edinburgh. We have got to win those.

But despite 6 nations we might lose 2 of theese

connachta wrote: »
    But despite 6 nations we might lose 2 of theese
    And this is where I disagree with you connachta. How can you even think that with the ability we have in our team. Yes we may have lost against ulster but we learnt. Won't happen again. And this I believe

And this is where I disagree with you connachta. How can you even think that with the ability we have in our team. Yes we may have lost against ulster but we learnt. Won't happen again. And this I believe

Agreed, we lost a tight game to a an inform Ulster team. I don't think we have returned to the dark days just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

If anything scoring those 2 penalties in the first half would have made Ulster hungrier for the try. We could have gone for more drop goals in the game but but it's easy to say that in hindsight.

Fair enough that may be true and it's all ifs and buts as you say. In my opinion they were big momentum shifts as was the failure to collect any points from incessant pressure at the state. There were only a couple of clear cut opportunities on both sides for tries. Kicking was always going to play a significant role in the final result of a game where defences were generally on top.
    Now that's an interesting interpretation. He kicked a ball with his left foot to the 10m line from inside his 22. What did you want him to do. Maybe dropkick 3 points instead.

In a game of small margins we lost the territory game very very badly in the last 10 minutes. Marshall came on and did as he always does in these type of situations. He kept his pack moving forward through nothing flash.

It's not a match defining mistake. It was only a small thing but if we are to push on we need to look at managing these situations better. He was in a good position in-field at the edge of his own 22. Looking at the situation clinically as to what we can learn, Niyi and Tiernan will know that we need to show more composure and manage that situation better and ensure that the ball should be going up to at a minimum in and around half way. That was a huge net gain for Ulster from that kicking exchange at a key juncture.

Agreed, we lost a tight game to a an inform Ulster team. I don't think we have returned to the dark days just yet.

Not the darkest days, just possible defeat against Osp and Edinburgh away, even during 6 nation window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

We're a young team. There's a naievity about them which you the difference in games like last night. Ie stop giving out about Nick Williams lieing on the wrong side of the ruck and legally rake him out of it. Play more rugby in the opposition half. We are trying to run way too much. We had a good maul and Ulster's lineout wasn't great either was ours but there was opportunity from it. John Muldoon has the great ability to get the refs against him. He's far to petulant and let's his emotions/frustrations get the better of him to have a good relationship with refs. Let him lead by example and let someone else talk to the ref

It's not a match defining mistake.
    So my turn to say utter waffle

Ulster....:D Unless you are suggesting that they end up down alongside Zebre and Treviso....but Lacey can't ref all Ulster's games.......;)

In the last 4 years it has taken 54, 55, 56 and 57 points to make 6th place. taking 57 as the target, I would expect Connacht to at least get 23 points from the remaining 12 games. Think of getting at least 2 bonus point wins out of the 12 and that leaves only 13 points to be got from 10 games. Easy Peasy.
    Get 1 losing bonus v. Leinster,
    5 points from back to back games v. Scarlets
    4 away v. Dragons
    5 away v. Zebre
    4 at home v a weakened Ospreys during the 6 Nations.

That's 19 quite possible points and still 6 games to go. Think instead of a top 4 finish.

Away to Embra during the the 6 Ns.. Why not 4 points there?
    At home to Ireland, sorry, Leinster during the 6 Ns. Why not WIN there? most of Ireland, sorry... again, I mean Leinster will be away in camp with Leinster..ooops...... I meant Ireland.
    Munster at home.... not a real worry at the moment anyway.
    You've even got a home game v. Treviso at the end of the season...a cert 5 pointer.

I don't get the fear and negativity. Connacht just lost a close game v. Ulster who have just doubled Toulouse who have just stuffed the bejingo out of Toulon.

I expect Connacht to hit about 65 or 66 points. Connacht can't do anything about what other teams achieve and need to do their own thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Funk It

And I am with Connachta that Healy and niyi are exciting but very poor tacklers.
    I have to say that ive been impressed wirh the ferocity of Niyis tackles, doesn't hold anything back. Few monster hits yesterday, as well as getting creamed himself by Williams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Funk It wrote: »
    I have to say that ive been impressed wirh the ferocity of Niyis tackles, doesn't hold anything back. Few monster hits yesterday, as well as getting creamed himself by Williams.

He misses a few too by flying in and getting sidestepped. Can leave us wide open when he does it.

Zzippy wrote: »
    He misses a few too by flying in and getting sidestepped. Can leave us wide open when he does it.
    zzippy. was that you agreeing with me :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Are you coming to the RDS on Friday flouncer?

Are you coming to the RDS on Friday flouncer?
    wouldnt miss it. will be there

We're a young team. There's a naievity about them which you the difference in games like last night. Ie stop giving out about Nick Williams lieing on the wrong side of the ruck and legally rake him out of it. Play more rugby in the opposition half. We are trying to run way too much. We had a good maul and Ulster's lineout wasn't great either was ours but there was opportunity from it. John Muldoon has the great ability to get the refs against him. He's far to petulant and let's his emotions/frustrations get the better of him to have a good relationship with refs. Let him lead by example and let someone else talk to the ref
    Yes we are a young team but yet not short of experience. Two years ago I would have agreed with this comment but we now have young experienced players (yes conolly, bealham, niyi, dillane may not have much time on the clock yet but most other young players have had a lot of game time).

Its also hard to be critical of our fast offload running game as that is exactly the game that beat Munster. I do accept that when its not working then you need to change it. Pitch and ball were very slippy which wasn't conducive to our style of play. So maybe we could have switched to a 10 playing positional rugby. But when does jack play that?

When all is said and done ulster are probably the strongest of the Leinster/Munster/ulster combo these days. We held our own against them. I have said that this year more than any other year we have closed out games. It can't happen all the time. This was one of those. No alarm bells as far as I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Yes we are a young team but yet not short of experience. Two years ago I would have agreed with this comment but we now have young experienced players (yes conolly, bealham, niyi, dillane may not have much time on the clock yet but most other young players have had a lot of game time).

Its also hard to be critical of our fast offload running game as that is exactly the game that beat Munster. I do accept that when its not working then you need to change it. Pitch and ball were very slippy which wasn't conducive to our style of play. So maybe we could have switched to a 10 playing positional rugby. But when does jack play that?

When all is said and done ulster are probably the strongest of the Leinster/Munster/ulster combo these days. We held our own against them. I have said that this year more than any other year we have closed out games. It can't happen all the time. This was one of those. No alarm bells as far as I can see

Flouncer, you're on a roll. Normally there isn't a chance of me agreeing with this many posts is a row. Have you considered taking up roulette.

After the first 10 minutes where we controlled the game, Ulster got on top after us going to the corner twice in a row. They slowed down every line out, had a lot of Physio checks. This sort of guile was missing, and is missing from us at times. When Ulster were getting momentum where was a Connacht Player on a knee to stop play?
    I love our style of rugby and its great to watch I'd just rather do it in the opposition half. And our best positional 10 was playing at 12 and for the record Ronaldson is the better 10 and
    there's no alarm bells here just things we should be learning from.
    It's one of the things the likes of Craig Clarke would have been perfect for, a proven winner showing young lads the dark arts. sadly that didn't work out and I'm glad he's looking after his health. Like imagine if we got Donncha O Callaghan for a season, might not be as good as current options but where he has come from would be a rich source of information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

http://m.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2015/1229/756627-henshaw/

More positive news on the injury front - well, not negative news anyway.

After the first 10 minutes where we controlled the game, Ulster got on top after us going to the corner twice in a row. They slowed down every line out, had a lot of Physio checks. This sort of guile was missing, and is missing from us at times. When Ulster were getting momentum where was a Connacht Player on a knee to stop play?
    I love our style of rugby and its great to watch I'd just rather do it in the opposition half. And our best positional 10 was playing at 12 and for the record Ronaldson is the better 10 and
    there's no alarm bells here just things we should be learning from.
    It's one of the things the likes of Craig Clarke would have been perfect for, a proven winner showing young lads the dark arts. sadly that didn't work out and I'm glad he's looking after his health. Like imagine if we got Donncha O Callaghan for a season, might not be as good as current options but where he has come from would be a rich source of information.
    Agreed. However Pat has said that Craig and Bundee are his preferred partnership at centre so I can't see Jack being shifted. That said you would have to think Joe Schmidt would want to have Robbie playing some centre time before the 6n. As such Craig will either be benched or moved to 10. Have to admit would like to see a toh, danie, bundee, robbie, matt, craig, kieran combination. If I am correct we have never seen this lineup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Munster last year? Or who was Fb that day?

freyners wrote: »
    Dont think it was toh. Didnt he miss most of last season?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭b.gud

Think Mils was fb in the new years day Munster game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

b.gud wrote: »
    Think Mils was fb in the new years day Munster game

Unfortunately the fact that we can't really remember if he was or not pretty much sums up his time at Connacht.

Bazzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately the fact that we can't really remember if he was or not pretty much sums up his time at Connacht.
    give him a break. aki was always the signing. anybody who knew connacht knew this

freyners wrote: »

Leader was on the wing instead of Healy and Mils was fb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Bazzo wrote: »

Was he the worst overseas signing ever? In terms of value for money and hype vs delivery? Quite possibly. I know he was injured arriving but he was still woeful and got a huge wedge of cash.

Leader was on the wing instead of Healy and Mils was fb
    knew we had never fielded team suggested. thanks for that

Was he the worst overseas signing ever? In terms of value for money and hype vs delivery? Quite possibly.

Definitely overpaid, for the amount and games he played.
    But brought a public spotlight at the start of the season which drove ticket sales (no proof just opinion)
    Was spoken very highly from the camp.

But overall not worth it? I dunno.. It's hard to tell if he hasn't left how he did (the circumstances and charges which he was cleared of) I'd say we'd have a far more positive view of his time

knew we had never fielded team suggested. thanks for that

I'd love to see it. We'd be really hard to stop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Was he the worst overseas signing ever? In terms of value for money and hype vs delivery? Quite possibly. I know he was injured arriving but he was still woeful and got a huge wedge of cash.

In terms of impact on the field. Hard to see another contender. He was very good in his first two games but dropped off after that

In terms of impact on the club in total. Not even close to the worst. Brand awareness wise he was huge. I believe it was our best year st wise. A lot if the young players give him a lot of credit but it could be the party line.

His time at the club was not great but I have the height of sympathy for him. Came in injured and left under what now is proven to be false allegations. At the very least he proved the club's ambition

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement